Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Last Iconic Presidential Address: Reagan on Challenger, 1986

He didn’t write it (Our Peggy did), but he struck just the right notes in addressing the nation’s shock and grief. Millions of Americans, many of them children, watched the Challenger launch that day and saw the explosion live.

Say what you will about the rest of Ronnie’s legacy, but he was a damned fine reader of speeches. This short speech will bring a tear to your eye-socket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2024 5:10 PM

The Great Communicator.

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2024 1:41 AM

JFK's Inaugural Address.

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2024 1:43 AM

Well, I'm remonstrated/

Outdated I really want to be over-rated

by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2024 1:52 AM

You in danger OP girl. Don't you know Reagan was trolling the bathhouses and was the one giving everyone AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2024 2:16 AM

What, you think Shrub didn't say some pretty words written by someone far more intelligent on 9/11?

Obama didn't hit the right tone on bin Laden's killing?

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2024 3:41 AM

R4 Ronnie didn’t give anyone AIDS.

He simply pretended it didn’t exist.

by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2024 3:49 AM

He did give some great speeches. The Challenger one, and “Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall!”

by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2024 3:51 AM

Who wrote it? That truly was beautiful. Incredibly well delivered by Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2024 3:53 AM

[quote] Who wrote it?

[quote] He didn’t write it (Our Peggy did)

Peggy Noonan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2024 3:59 AM

Why, I did, R8!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2024 4:00 AM

We need another actor/actress in the White House. That was a very smooth and sweet address to the nation and it moved us. Never ever again will that kind of love and unity fill this country.

by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2024 4:10 AM

Peggy Noonan is my favorite drunk.

by Anonymousreply 12July 11, 2024 4:26 AM

R11 We need another actor in the White House? Are you smoking something weird?

by Anonymousreply 13July 11, 2024 4:32 AM

R11, I agree. Maybe a Tara Reid type.

by Anonymousreply 14July 11, 2024 4:41 AM

R11=George Clooney

by Anonymousreply 15July 11, 2024 4:45 AM

F U OP.

Thousands of Americans dead from the AIDS virus & he couldn't be bothered with those deaths in any type of speech like this but a handful of Americans die in a space accident? He becomes a attention seeking whore on every network. He basically said it's all about the quality of Americans killed & not the quantity and you drank his sick Kool-Aid. Reagan couldn't have done much for any more U.S. astronauts with this speech but one for AIDS patients would've done wonders for them & others affected with the fatal virus around the world as the office he held still carried some human rights weight before he screwed that up too.

by Anonymousreply 16July 11, 2024 6:31 AM

[quote]The Great Communicator.

Noonan deserves all the credit for his having that nickname.

She's a nutty boozebag but credit where it's due.

by Anonymousreply 17July 11, 2024 9:22 AM

[quote]We need another actor/actress in the White House.

I’ve been saying Jennifer Aniston for years now.

by Anonymousreply 18July 11, 2024 3:32 PM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 19July 11, 2024 3:34 PM

Reagan opened the door and put out the welcome mat for the folks who are today's Christian Nationalists.

So pardon me OP if I don't want to kiss Ronnie Raygun's ashy butt.

by Anonymousreply 20July 11, 2024 3:38 PM

Wasnt the Challenger pressured to launch that day despite the risks because they wanted Reagan to be able to laud its launch during his speech that night? Feel like their loves were wasted due to the hubris of our government

by Anonymousreply 21July 11, 2024 3:47 PM

They had do much love yet to give.

by Anonymousreply 22July 11, 2024 3:54 PM

They had so much love yet to give.

by Anonymousreply 23July 11, 2024 3:54 PM

I love her booze bag style. She would appear ANYWHERE drunk off her ass not giving a shit. Slurring her interviews. it's fun TV

by Anonymousreply 24July 11, 2024 3:55 PM

"We need another actor/actress in the White House..."

Say no more!

There's a new Prez in town, and she's feelin' GOOD Got a song, got a plan for the White House's NEIGHBORHOOD!

Bum bum fa fa fummmmm

by Anonymousreply 25July 11, 2024 3:56 PM

[quote] Feel like their loves were wasted due to the hubris of our government

Reagan famously said that “government is the problem”.

by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2024 5:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!