Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Independents stand up

You know what I have been pondering lately. Perhaps the fact that we have a sociopathic convict on one end and a stubborn old man with dementia on the other, that we can finally consider the possibility of a 3rd party or even no party president. We need a strong charismatic and influential person to do it and I think this is the election for that candidate to break through. Let’s make history and have someone who speaks for the people not for a party.

What say you DL?

by Anonymousreply 48July 12, 2024 3:10 PM

Joe Biden does not have dementia, you troll.

by Anonymousreply 1July 10, 2024 1:55 PM

R1, the days of telling us that what we see in front of our eyes and hear with our ears is false are over.

If Democrats expect to win, they need to get off this fucking train.

You are bolstering OP’s argument.

by Anonymousreply 2July 10, 2024 2:22 PM

This thread is bullshit. Get lost OP!

by Anonymousreply 3July 10, 2024 2:25 PM

No potato for you comrade. Nice try though, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4July 10, 2024 2:26 PM

There is no scenario in which a 3rd party candidate wins. All a 3rd party candidate can do in our system is act as a spoiler, potentially splitting the majority and allowing the least desired candidate to win.

If you don't understand the basic math that rules this scenario, then sit your ass down.

If Independents don't want to destroy 248 years of democracy and The Constitution, and capitulate to a pathologically lying criminally corrupt conman, rapist, fraud, and traitor like Trump and to the horrors of the fascist Christian Nationalist White Supremacist "Project 2025", then they had better stand up behind Biden/Harris and every single Dem they can find on that ballot all the way down to dog-catcher, or they will lose everything.

by Anonymousreply 5July 10, 2024 2:35 PM

R2, Joe Biden does not have dementia. This is well established by every expert. And you have clearly NOT been watching in the more-than-a-week since the debate, when Biden has given several speeches, interviews, and has been working hard, traveling all around. He's showing no signs of incapacitation.

AND EVEN IF HE WERE, THAT'S WHAT THE VP IS FOR.

You're not voting for a man, you're voting for a team, for an Administration, and the Biden/Harris administration has a fantastic team of hard-working experts who are doing great jobs, and they should be rewarded for all their excellent hard work with another term.

Fuck you if you're actually thinking of throwing all that away out of some fucking STUPID notion that Biden has dementia (a story planted to distract from Trump's obvious cognitive decline), and hand this country over to fascist theocratic monsters.

by Anonymousreply 6July 10, 2024 2:37 PM

Defacto wants democrats to vote for a boutique candidate

by Anonymousreply 7July 10, 2024 2:39 PM

First of all I want to say maybe dementia wasn’t the right word to use. But you guys know what I mean, someone suffering from cognitive decline because of old age. Also isn’t this a place to share new ideas. This isn’t a troll or flame post. I am most certainly not defacto.

Aren’t you guys tired of the two party system. Or maybe we can get an independent to run as Dem sort of like how Trump did for the GOO. We need a smart transformative liberal like the right has with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 8July 10, 2024 2:43 PM

GOP*

by Anonymousreply 9July 10, 2024 2:43 PM

I should add Trump is not smart though.

by Anonymousreply 10July 10, 2024 2:44 PM

Your description of your ideal candidate does sound remarkably like Putin, OP. So you might as well just vote for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 11July 10, 2024 2:47 PM

R11. How so?

by Anonymousreply 12July 10, 2024 2:48 PM

Eat shit, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13July 10, 2024 2:54 PM

Biden’s post-debate appearances have not been universally impressive.

R6, you may be voting for the administration, but the wider public, especially those in swing states who are currently uncommitted, will be voting for the man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 10, 2024 2:57 PM

Only on candidate checks all the boutique boxes, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 10, 2024 3:08 PM

Why would George Stephanapolous be out to get Biden; he answered truthfully not knowing he was being recorded. A career journalist, who leans left, and has interviewed countless presidents.

by Anonymousreply 16July 10, 2024 5:12 PM

R11 I responded to a statement, asking for an explanation of how my ideal candidate sounds like Putin. So far crickets. A high iq, emotionally secure person did tell me to eat shit though.

by Anonymousreply 17July 10, 2024 5:17 PM

Gee [R16] why would someone in the media - desperate for eyeballs and clicks - push the agenda for an angst-inducing horse race or "must see" shit show if there's an open convention. Hmmm....

by Anonymousreply 18July 10, 2024 5:28 PM

Even if Biden was no better than Mr Magoo, he's still a VASTLY preferable choice than Trump.

WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

TRUMP RAPES WOMEN AND CHILDREN, STEALS MONEY FROM CANCER CHARITIES, AND BETRAYS U.S. NATIONAL SECURITY. FOR FUCK'S SAKE, THIS ISN'T A DIFFICULT CHOICE.

by Anonymousreply 19July 10, 2024 11:03 PM

R19 I don’t think anyone here is suggesting that are going to vote for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 20July 10, 2024 11:08 PM

Only a sociopath votes independent in a “winner takes all” presidential election.

Punch and delete

by Anonymousreply 21July 10, 2024 11:17 PM

R21 That’s a goddam lie you dramatic troll. You know how many friends in New York state I have who are way left who have voted 3rd party in certain elections. However you don’t even read properly. I don’t plan on voting 3rd party unless they have a viable chance and will not play spoiler. I even suggested this independent person could run as a DEM should Biden step down. We need some new energy. I just don’t know who.

by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2024 11:31 PM

[quote] We need a strong charismatic and influential person to do it and I think this is the election for that candidate to break through.

Someone Kennedyesque?

by Anonymousreply 23July 11, 2024 12:01 AM

Strong and unvaccinated!

by Anonymousreply 24July 11, 2024 12:11 AM

I say Independents are fucking morons who are just too chickenshit and squeamish to admit they’re really Republicans. No independent has ever won a presidential election and none ever will. All they do is fuck over Democrats. And some Democrats are stupid enough to buy their shit.

by Anonymousreply 25July 11, 2024 12:22 AM

R25 But I’m not really Republican. First of all maybe I should have use the word non mainstream or unique politician. Some of you are so damaged you automatically here independent and think libertarian or Ron Paul.

by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2024 12:27 AM

[quote] I say Independents are fucking morons who are just too chickenshit and squeamish to admit they’re really Republicans.

Many independents vote Democratic.

by Anonymousreply 27July 11, 2024 12:33 AM

R20, any vote that isn't for Biden (whether an actual vote for Trump, a wasted vote thrown away on an unviable third party with zero chances of winning or someone who just refuses to cast a vote and either leaves it blank or stays home) is a vote that enables a Trump win.

There is no magical mystical third option. The choice is binary: Trump or Biden. And if you aren't explicitly voting for Biden, you're at least implicitly enabling Trump. You're saying you're okay if Trump wins whether or not you actually voted for him, because you aren't casting the ONE vote and making the ONE choice that makes it HARDER for Trump to win, rather than easier.

by Anonymousreply 28July 11, 2024 5:45 AM

R22, Biden will not step down. There is no viable alternative. There is no consensus candidate to replace Biden anyway. This isn't fantasy football. There simply isn't time to ensure anyone else can get on the ballots in all 50 states. And there's no guarantee that the Supreme Court would even allow it, as the GOP has lawsuits ready to go to block anyone other than Biden.

So just stop this. Just get behind Biden/Harris to defeat Trump, MAGA, and Project 2025. This isn't rocket science. Stop whining. Nobody is getting a pony. But Biden has been the best President this country has seen in a generation or two, accomplishing more amazing feats than any other President you could name in only one term, and if we give him back the House and if we Keep the Senate, he'll be able to do even more.

by Anonymousreply 29July 11, 2024 5:48 AM

R29 which one, highest cost of living, lowest real wages since WW2, horrible housing crisis, where Wall street is outbidding ordinary people on hoising market and raising rents to high heaven or putting the world on the edge of WW3?

Obviously Trump is not the answer, so OP is right.

by Anonymousreply 30July 11, 2024 6:15 AM

[quote] Just get behind Biden/Harris to defeat Trump

The Biden/Harris partisans can’t re-elect Biden by themselves, no matter how much resolve they have. Getting them all to stay the course, if that is even possible, is not enough. You have to have the votes of a sufficient number of independents and Republicans too. Right now the Democrats don’t have that and the dementia issue is likely to make it not possible to get it.

by Anonymousreply 31July 11, 2024 6:46 AM

I can honestly stay that I have reached a point where hardcore, staunch, "Biden or bust" supporters now get on my nerves as much as the MAGA cultists do. There is no reasoning with any of these people and both groups with their delusional sanctimonious bullshit will be the downfall of this country. You have the same arguments. MAGA cultists scream and stamp their feet that anyone voting 3rd party (RFK Jr.) is taking votes away from Trump and a traitor.

Can someone just load all of these loony toons on a ship, send it out to sea, and allow them all to duke it out amongst themselves? Their demented and decrepit messiahs can argue about their golf handicaps in the bowel.

This shit is dumb.

by Anonymousreply 32July 11, 2024 2:52 PM

^ *bow

by Anonymousreply 33July 11, 2024 2:53 PM

So all of you faux "independents" don't like labels.

Bully for fucking you.

Democracy or Dictatorship.

You must pick one label.

Which one will it be?

by Anonymousreply 34July 11, 2024 3:05 PM

[quote]Democracy or Dictatorship.

Fucking. Cooked. 🤡🤪🙃

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 11, 2024 3:18 PM

Too late, OP. Much too late.

by Anonymousreply 36July 11, 2024 3:34 PM

R30, do you actually believe the bullshit you just posted? Real wages up (higher than inflation), inflation coming down (flat last month, negative this month), lowest unemployment for the longest period of time in over 50 years, ... the economy is doing better now than before Covid. WTF is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 37July 12, 2024 3:03 AM

R32, I don't understand how can be so wrong and so clueless. Talk about false equivalencies. WTF is wrong with you? How do you not see the obvious?

by Anonymousreply 38July 12, 2024 3:04 AM

r38 You are in a cult and ruled by fear instead of reason and sense. Have a nice night.

by Anonymousreply 39July 12, 2024 3:38 AM

"You know what I have been pondering lately."

You're prolapsed sphincter?

by Anonymousreply 40July 12, 2024 3:40 AM

“Independent” is what a Republican calls himself around his liberal friends, and when he doesn’t want to look like the bootlicking racist cunt he actually is. He hasn’t voted for any non-Republican in ten years, but he’ll still tell you he votes for the individual candidates.

by Anonymousreply 41July 12, 2024 3:51 AM

R41 I call myself an independent because I think outside the box and will vote for a republican in my local elections. Don’t come for me hoe. I’ve voted D in every presidential election since 2008.

by Anonymousreply 42July 12, 2024 3:56 AM

R42 That’s exactly my point. You think you’re outside the box because you don’t formally belong to a party. But you still vote for the two major parties. You still participate in this system. You are still inside a much larger box with the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 43July 12, 2024 4:00 AM

R39 is a moron who has no clue what's going on and thinks himself above it all as he sticks his head into the sand.

by Anonymousreply 44July 12, 2024 5:08 AM

r44 Brainwashed cult member say what?

by Anonymousreply 45July 12, 2024 6:00 AM

Biden could be a vegetable and most people with a conscience would vote for him. It’s just feeling that it’s not the best option that’s frustrating. Like a multiple choice test where you choose the best answer but you don’t really agree with it. The idea is selecting something, anything over the other option which has sycophants doing some nasty shit.

by Anonymousreply 46July 12, 2024 6:05 AM

R45 your empty baseless and laughably wrong assertions have no negative affect on me what-so-ever, but they sure make you look like an utter fool and complete tool, so you know, just keep making an idiot of yourself if you want.

by Anonymousreply 47July 12, 2024 3:08 PM

[quote]It’s just feeling that it’s not the best option that’s frustrating.

What's really frustrating is that the people "feeling" this way are doing it so loudly, yet not a single goddamned one of them can actually come up with anyone better that actually is even slightly realistic. It's all magical thinking and wish fulfillment not even slightly based in any reality.

Get over it. Seriously. We have to stop Trump, MAGA, and Project 2025, and tearing down and attacking the one and only option we have to do that IS NOT HELPING.

by Anonymousreply 48July 12, 2024 3:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!