Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CNN investigates AirBNB's hidden camera problems

This is why I've never stayed at one. I know a motel/hotel worker could do the same thing, but somehow it seems less likely to me. It's a lot bolder to do something like that at your place of work than in your AirBNB that you're renting out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 10, 2024 1:31 PM

I would never stay at an AirBNB any way.

Believe it or not, I trust big corporate hotels more than I trust individual owners.

The big companies are more reliable.

This kind of information just seals the deal for me.

Not to mention that on principle, I can't support AirBNBs because of what they're doing to the housing and rental market.

They're wreaking havoc both nationally AND globally.

Fuck AirBNB.

There should be more protests against them.

by Anonymousreply 1July 10, 2024 12:03 PM

r1 i just can't see myself fully relaxing in someone's home either. In a hotel/motel room I'm not even slightly worried about making a mess or getting too comfortable. Even if the agreement was lax I'd be fretting the whole time in an AirBNB about what I should or shouldn't touch, how much of a mess I've made, I can't imagine really being that relaxed.

by Anonymousreply 2July 10, 2024 12:30 PM

When I think of the kind of people who own and operate AirBNBs, this is exactly the kind of thing I would expect them to do.

They're just sleazy, and mean, and greedy, and creepy.

And you're exactly right, R2. It's like staying in the home of some very uptight person, where you would be completely on edge because you're so afraid of breaking something or getting something dirty, and then having to pay for it..

It wouldn't be a fun experience.

by Anonymousreply 3July 10, 2024 12:43 PM

I only stay at big chain hotels.

by Anonymousreply 4July 10, 2024 1:16 PM

You can buy devices on Amazon that will detect the infrared beam of a hidden camera. I remember reading about Airbnb's hidden camera problem 5+ years ago. Congress needs to get off their asses and make this illegal.

by Anonymousreply 5July 10, 2024 1:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!