Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Box Office: "Fly Me to the Moon", a rare romcom wide release with big stars, opens this week

...and is tracking for a mere $12 million (likely less than Scarlett Johannson or Channing Tatum's salary).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 16, 2024 12:21 PM

If it had been twisted into the big screen treatment of “Gilligan’s Island” that I had proposed, we would be talking competitive box office.

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2024 9:16 PM

She receives top billing. Makes it seem like a chick flick.

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2024 10:12 PM

A very odd film to get this kind of summer release. I don’t see how anyone would expect this to be a hit in the current moviegoing climate.

by Anonymousreply 3July 10, 2024 1:26 AM

Fuck you, R2.

by Anonymousreply 4July 10, 2024 1:40 AM

We want to see them fuck!

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2024 4:52 AM

She's old. Her tits can't save her now.

And he is...not attractive anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2024 4:53 AM

😴

by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2024 4:53 AM

Sandra Bullock occasionally got away with romantic comedies in her late 50s because it was high comedy and action, but she is one of the all time greatest romantic comedy heroines in American cinema, which is no small thing as she blew up after Meg Ryan and Julia Roberts were already massive stars.

But in their early-mid 40s, these two have aged out of this genre. By this point, I think younger viewers expect people this age to have gotten it together already. They need a more middle-aged take on the genre.

by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2024 3:24 PM

Longlegs will demolish it.

by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2024 3:31 PM

Only grossing $10 million for opening weekend.

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2024 3:33 PM

I will probably see it this weekend because we still don't have power. Last week, I saw The Fall Guy and The Bikeriders. They weren't bad. This looks stupid based on the previews, but it can't be worse than Ticket to Paradise-- truly awful.

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2024 3:36 PM

Huge embarrassment but thankfully it puts an end to Greg Berlanti being given a high profile feature.

This was intended to be straight to streaming and was originally going to costar Chris Evans. These actors in their forties took enormous salaries - these two are maybe getting $20 million each - on the presumption that it wasn’t going theatrical. It did and now they have flop attached to them. Tatum’s Magic Mike 3 was also intended for streaming, got moved to theatrical because of pandemic/strike product shortage, and bombed.

There is no easy money in Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2024 3:40 PM

I've seen one ad for this.

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2024 3:40 PM

BTW, I'm sure the reason for the July release date is because the first moon landing was also in July. The one trailer I saw made it look like a fun movie, but better for streaming than a trip to the cinema.

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2024 3:46 PM

She’s only 39.

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2024 3:52 PM

[quote] she is one of the all time greatest romantic comedy heroines in American cinema, which is no small thing as she blew up

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2024 3:59 PM

R15: That's 140 in actress years. Tick tock tick tock.

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2024 4:01 PM

The NYT review was not good.

by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2024 5:06 PM

Hollywood is always the last to get the message - movie theaters are OVER. It’s an archaic venue. You’re wasting your time.

by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2024 5:15 PM

[quote] These actors in their forties

How are their ages relevant?

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2024 5:16 PM

R8, young viewers don’t have money nor go to theaters. They’re catering to the 40 year olds. Regardless, no one likes these movies.

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2024 5:20 PM

It flopped. But since it's an Apple production, it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2024 7:26 PM

I disagree that it doesn’t matter, because Apple is greenlighting uncommercial films, giving them huge budgets, then releasing them in theaters with legacy studio partners who are handed a turkey they can’t market, and which further damages the credibility of theatrical exhibitions. This is the second film Apple ludicrously overpaid for to be released in theaters this year: the first, Argylle, cost $200 million, and this one cost $100 million. Apple will take a $300 million writedown on two films. That’s not sustainable, Apple can set fire to its own money but Hollywood is on quicksand and doesn’t need bombs like this.

Deadline points out that a movie like Fly Me to the Moon, Down With Love, was made twenty years ago and did poorly (7 million opening) but it was only made for $35 million. So the opening was roughly the same while the budget increased by three times! Not sustainable!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 14, 2024 4:10 PM

Neither of these actors is known for their skill with comedy

by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2024 4:40 PM

The problem is both the premise and the leads. A romcom about the moon landing is not exactly fresh. Plus Scarlett and Channing are amateur actors.

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2024 5:24 PM

I don’t think there’s anything that could be done. People simply do not go to the movies to see these kinds of films anymore. Which I actually think sucks. I want all kinds of films in the theaters. I still like the theatrical experiences. Younger people don’t seem to. The only rom com, “chick flick” kind of film that’s going to pull in a big audience is going to be a big event. Like something based on a known IP or featuring the acting debut of a massive star like T Swift or something.

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2024 12:44 AM

Are these extremely tedious box office threads the work of Davida?

by Anonymousreply 27July 15, 2024 12:46 AM

If the thread is tedious, why are you reading it?

by Anonymousreply 28July 15, 2024 1:21 AM

I saw it because I wanted to go to the movies. It was sometimes clever, somewhat fun, pretty nostalgic, and had good visuals.

The cast overall is good, except for Channing Tatum, who could hav been carved from wood and placed on the set, in most scenes. He has zero comedic timing or nuance.

I give it a B. With a better male lead, it might have done a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 29July 15, 2024 1:30 AM

Longlegs was a (somewhat) surprise hit this weekend. It broke a number of records--highest opening for its distributor, Neon, and the biggest opening for an independent horror film ever. I was skeptical about the projections for it, but they were right on the money. I saw it Friday night and my theater was probably 90% full. I can't remember the last time I was at the movies and had that happen.

by Anonymousreply 30July 15, 2024 3:46 AM

Tatum is ovah.

by Anonymousreply 31July 15, 2024 4:28 AM

This could have been a hit 10 years ago but they are both past their prime.

by Anonymousreply 32July 15, 2024 4:29 AM

Her husband sunk money into a boat business with Pete Davidson.

by Anonymousreply 33July 15, 2024 4:31 AM

R31: Scarjo isn’t far behind either.

by Anonymousreply 34July 15, 2024 4:39 AM

R30: The marketing was brilliant. They didn't over-promote or oversell it.

by Anonymousreply 35July 16, 2024 5:26 AM

[quote] She’s only 39.

Still?!

by Anonymousreply 36July 16, 2024 12:08 PM

Tatum's career now consists of just co-starring with bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 16, 2024 12:10 PM

[quote]I don’t think there’s anything that could be done. People simply do not go to the movies to see these kinds of films anymore.

Hmmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 16, 2024 12:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!