Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charleston SC voted best city in US to visit

You know you can trust the voters because one pointed out that “Charleston can compete with any European capital for its arts, entertainment, active lifestyle, and food.”

Her name is Jan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 12, 2024 10:46 PM

arts, entertainment?

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2024 4:59 PM

Sure if you like oppressive heat and humidity and constant reminder that the entire city was built on the backs of slaves... Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2024 5:25 PM

The list places San Antonio and Fort Worth ahead of New York and Boston, and excludes San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Seattle, Portland and Washington DC entirely. Odd bunch of folks.

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2024 5:50 PM

Husband and I are going there for the first time this coming November. We like historic preservation and touring old homes so we figure we’ll like it.

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2024 5:53 PM

^ Savannah is better and a lot more fun

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2024 6:03 PM

You can do both.

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2024 6:26 PM

Yes, R4, I would recommend both Charleston and Savannah in one trip. Charleston is pretty and perfect, but Savannah has a Gothic ambiance that is really unlike any other U.S. city.

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2024 6:35 PM

"The people of Atlanta will ask you what you do for a living and the people of Charleston will ask you who your people are, but the people of Savannah will just ask you what you want to drink"

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2024 6:40 PM

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2024 7:23 PM

Why are you coming for Jan, OP?

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2024 7:25 PM

You know why, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2024 7:27 PM

I can only assume T&L's elderly readership has never witnessed Charleston after dark. It's not New Orleans-level extreme, but HOLY FUCK has it become a party town! It was already pretty raucous, but considering Bravo's now had nine seasons of drunken exploits on "Southern Charm" set largely there, it's become a destination particularly for the bachelorette / future-frauen set.

While its historic district is admittedly stunning, it's difficult to appreciate if you consider the reality that nearly everything there was built by slaves. Also, the city has a somewhat bizarre shortage of hotels; Charleston has Manhattan-level hotel rates during peak season. (It's admittedly due to severe constraints on new development anywhere near the historic areas, but still.)

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2024 8:08 PM

Always the hurricanes bloweeen!

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2024 8:09 PM

Knowing that a place was built by slaves in the 1800s always kill my enjoyment! btw it's currently very hot, humid, and smelly in NYC right now. People literally stink and the hot weather seems to increase driver's use of their horn. I can't imagine what the subways are like! And CA is experiencing record breaking hot weather. CA also has earthquakes, power outages, mudslides, wild fires and flooding none of which are as easily forecasted as hurricanes. May is a great time to visit place which are hurricane prone. Been to San Juan and Charleston during the late spring.

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2024 8:58 PM

^^^ the month of May is a great time to visit regions that are prone to hurricanes as well as hot, humid summer weather.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2024 9:02 PM

I hear the Christian Nationalist in Charleston are just to die for.

by Anonymousreply 16July 10, 2024 12:53 AM

The tourist look up at the architecture the locals look down to dodge the vomit and dog poo.

by Anonymousreply 17July 10, 2024 12:58 AM

Fort Worth and San Antonio? Are they punking us? The Riverwalk is cool - but that's it. The Alamo is disappointing.

Fort Worth??? The stockyards, I guess - but....what else?

Oh Travel & Leisure - what were you thinking?

I do want to visit Charleston, despite hating the state of SC and its politics, backwardness and awful politicians.

by Anonymousreply 18July 10, 2024 1:05 AM

Charleston is fine, if you like being around people posing as southern aristocrats. People from trailer park burgs move to Charleston and try to make people believe they grew up in wealth. Men in shorts, a white shirt and tie, and a blazer are what Charleston considers "class". You'll find yourself thinking "well get him (or her" a lot the whole time you're there.

Skip Charleston and go on down the road to Savannah where you'll meet people who just want you to have a great time and go home happy, and are more than proud to tell you if they came from nothing and made something of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 19July 10, 2024 1:12 AM

The American South has got to be the weirdest place on earth.

by Anonymousreply 20July 10, 2024 1:17 AM

Born and raised in Charleston, South of Broad. There’s no way to describe what it was like to grow up there and how it shaped my life. Counting the days until I can move back again for good.

by Anonymousreply 21July 10, 2024 1:24 AM

R17 do they have a 'poop map' like San Francisco

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2024 1:51 AM

We went a couple of years ago to Charleston, the week between Christmas and New Year’s. Weather was great, and I’d go back. We went to Savannah for a day and I really liked it. I think if we go back, we’d stay in Savannah and do a day trip or two into Charleston.

While in Charleston, drive over to Sullivan’s Island. It’s nice, and has a lot of Edgar Allen Poe history. We stayed in downtown Charleston, and there are a lot of cool restaurants and shops. Loved walking around and looking at all the cool old houses..but I sure wouldn’t want to live in any of the ones that are right on the street where you have tourists leaning up against your house.

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2024 2:31 AM

I went to Folly Beach which is a short drive from downtown Charleston The water is too cold for swimming from Oct-April but it's a beautiful relaxing spot. Charleston has a variety of good restaurants with friendly service.

by Anonymousreply 24July 10, 2024 3:15 AM

R23: we’re going in mid November, hoping the weather is better then. In finding a hotel I was kind of overwhelmed with the number of hotels to choose from, ended up picking the Mills House. And good to know about Sullivan’s Island. We’re there 5 full days,

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2024 1:07 PM

I guess we know who the target demographic is for T&L.

I didn't realize those folks got to leave the trailer parks that often.

by Anonymousreply 26July 10, 2024 1:11 PM

R21’s letting us all know he grew up “South of Broad” confirms r19.

by Anonymousreply 27July 10, 2024 1:12 PM

[quote][R21]’s letting us all know he grew up “South of Broad” confirms [R19].

I didn't say anything, but I, also, thought that was kind of strange. Does 'south of Broad' mean anything to anyone except people who live in Charleston? Does that poster work the south of broad line into every conversation?

by Anonymousreply 28July 10, 2024 1:28 PM

...but I wouldn't want to live there...

by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2024 1:31 PM

Actually I've seen a LOT of articles about T&L's recent lists - and they're all really laughable.

These lists are based on paid placements - that's the only explanation.

by Anonymousreply 30July 11, 2024 2:37 AM

R21 here and of course I’m proud of growing up South of Broad

by Anonymousreply 31July 11, 2024 3:23 AM

[quote] and constant reminder that the entire city was built on the backs of slaves

🙄 You sound white and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 32July 11, 2024 4:47 AM

Husband and I are thinking of doing Savannah over New Years and staying at Perry Lane Hotel (we need to use some free Bonvoy night certificates and an AA flight credit). I'm on the fence about doing 3 nights in Savannah and 2 nights in Charleston, or just basing ourself in Savannah with a day trip to Charleston and maybe somewhere else such at Tybee Island. I can't put my finger on it, but Savannah appeals to me more than Charleston. Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 33July 12, 2024 10:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!