Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Gladiator II’ trailer is here!!!

We will all be watching.

This looks amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 24, 2024 4:07 AM

Glaaaaaaaaadiator. II.

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2024 2:47 PM

Looks amazing r1

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2024 2:54 PM

So DEI takes over the Gladiator Saga. I love Denzel but there were no black members of the Roman Elite.

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2024 3:37 PM

Too bad a boring and very average looking guy is at the center of it.

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2024 3:39 PM

Not feeling any sense of excitement from this trailer

And I loved the original Gladiator and love Paul Mescal

$300 million is ridiculous for the visuals in this

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2024 3:41 PM

This looks like an HBO limited series. I am not going to a theater to see it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2024 3:55 PM

R3 he isn’t the Roman elite. You clearly weren’t paying attention to the trailer. And there were black people around at that time.

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2024 3:55 PM

A limited series is numerous episodes. This is one film.

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2024 3:56 PM

The first is a great film and Crowe was great. Nothing distinctive about this trailer. Hope it’s good but the trailer gives no sign.

by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2024 3:59 PM

Not every film needs a sequel and 24 years is way too long of a gap.

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2024 4:00 PM

[quote] So DEI takes over the Gladiator Saga. I love Denzel but there were no black members of the Roman Elite.

I don't doubt you're old enough to have been a first-hand witness but you cannot know if there were Black members of the Roman Elite. Black people have lived all over the world for millennia. Part of the unlearned lesson of DEI is that the history of Black people has been purposefully obsfucated by racism.

by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2024 4:01 PM

Next, you will be bloviating about trans women of colour and their machinations and rock throwing among the Roman Elite r11

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2024 4:07 PM

It's history r12 not retrograde reactionary politics.

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2024 4:14 PM

Not to mention, HE IS NOT PLAYING A ROMAN ELITE! What happened to paying attention?

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2024 4:17 PM

Creative title.

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2024 4:21 PM

Creative titles don’t work for sequels. You need people to know the movie is a sequel to the 2000 film. It was smart to keep it simple and classic

by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2024 4:25 PM

The trailer was an underwhelming, disappointing mess and Mescal isn't up to carrying this.

by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2024 4:27 PM

R13 correct. R12 you should google Septimius Severus, the African man who was a Roman Emperor from AD 193-211.

He was the first of four black Roman emperors

Racists keep trying to erase black people from history.

by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2024 4:28 PM

R17 funny, because I feel he’s the best thing in the trailer. He’s terrific.

by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2024 4:29 PM

Well, Severus was mixed race. His mother was of Roman ancestry.

by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2024 4:31 PM

Roman wasn’t built in a day.

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2024 4:36 PM

I'm sad that my brother isn't still here to see it, he absolutely loved the first one. It looks impressive.

by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2024 4:36 PM

Septimius Severus is one of the few emperors we have a contemporary painting of. He was of mixed race but was considered nothing but Roman by the Romans, never considered black, despite being half black. His parents were both from rich families and he married a woman from a rich family.

What people also need to understand is what is considered black in the states isn’t always considered black in other countries. Americans think their scale of race applies to the whole world when that isn’t the case. We classify some people as white here who aren’t even classified as white in their own country and the same with black.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 9, 2024 4:39 PM

I don’t care that Denzel is in this film given that, as others have posted, the Roman Empire was very diverse. However, Septimius Severus was not what modern people would consider black. He was from North Africa of Italic and Punic (Carthaginian) descent. Phoenicia, from which the Carthaginians originated, is in the Levant and its people Semitic. None of the Severan dynasty were what modern people would consider black.

by Anonymousreply 24July 9, 2024 4:40 PM

Time for Americans to start educating themselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 9, 2024 4:41 PM

#3 - BOT

by Anonymousreply 26July 9, 2024 4:43 PM

R26 - Exactly! How obvious that this discussion turned into a racial discussion.

Good work, Uri

by Anonymousreply 27July 9, 2024 4:46 PM

Severus was considered of “Libyan” race by historians. They didn’t consider him truly Italian because he was only half Italian and the half came from his mothers side, not fathers side, which made things different to many.

by Anonymousreply 28July 9, 2024 4:47 PM

GLAAAAADIATOR!

by Anonymousreply 29July 9, 2024 4:47 PM

Does Paul Mescal have yellow skin?

by Anonymousreply 30July 9, 2024 4:48 PM

Pedro PAscal, Paul Mescal, Denzel Washington? I'm there! I don't care how good or bad it is.

by Anonymousreply 31July 9, 2024 4:49 PM

No, he has pink skin. He’s a very pink guy. He’s wearing a lot of makeup and coloring to his skin because he’s filming a movie in dust and sand in the sun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 9, 2024 4:50 PM

I would've released in the Spring or Summer. Did Ridley not learn anything on Napoleon and House of Gucci (both November releases)?

by Anonymousreply 33July 9, 2024 4:51 PM

The image at r23 is not the contemporary painting we still have of Septimus Severus.

This is the actual painting.

As you can see, his skin color is intentionally painted to be much darker than that of his wife, Julia Domna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 9, 2024 4:51 PM

R33 both films were terrible and no one cared about them. This is a sequel to a beloved film.

by Anonymousreply 35July 9, 2024 4:53 PM

R34 yes, he was very much a brown man but considered of Libyan race (which they were brown people). What is considered black varies country to country. Americans don’t seem to understand that. You can be brown and not black in many parts of the world but in the states you’re automatically black. Or white (brown middle eastern people of all colors are classified as white now in the USA)

by Anonymousreply 36July 9, 2024 4:55 PM

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGVAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZINGAMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 9, 2024 5:05 PM

Another case of a trailer that shows too much, feels like we’ve seen half the movie already.

by Anonymousreply 38July 9, 2024 5:15 PM

Didn't show me too much. I can't wait and I agree this should have been a big summer block buster.

by Anonymousreply 39July 9, 2024 5:26 PM

That looks horrible. Not a single interesting cinematic shot to speak of and Mescal's delivery is flat as fuck. Pascal looks like he's sleepwalking through the role as well. CG is naff, nothing looks lived-in. Scott has well and truly lost his magic touch.

And what the fuck was that music towards the end?

by Anonymousreply 40July 9, 2024 5:33 PM

Anyway, Denzel’s poster looks great

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 9, 2024 5:56 PM

R40 bullshit 🤣

by Anonymousreply 42July 9, 2024 5:59 PM

The studios are hoping Wickidator or whatever the fuck it is will be the new Barbenheimer. I don’t think it’s going to work this time. Come November people will be busy preparing for the holiday season and there are going to be tons and tons and tons and tons of depressed people depending on the outcome of the election.

by Anonymousreply 43July 9, 2024 6:05 PM

Studios nothing. It’s the public fanboys trying to make it a thing.

by Anonymousreply 44July 9, 2024 6:06 PM

The thing that jumped out at me from that trailer is that Connie Nielsen still looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 45July 9, 2024 6:37 PM

I remember from the first movie this badass Amazonian Grace Jones-like woman firing arrows from a chariot. She had no lines! And they didn't need to put fucking rap music in it to let you know she was black. I'll watch the sequel if it features Kanye West and the producer who chose his music getting fed to hungry hungry lions.

I can't emphasize enough how terrible the rap is "bloodstains nigga nigga colliseum". Fuck sake why did you inflict that trailer on me. From Lisa Gerard to this talentless whore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 9, 2024 6:57 PM

This is going to make Paul a star!

by Anonymousreply 47July 9, 2024 7:06 PM

This looks ... not good. No memorable shots. Denzel acting like he's in a Training Day sequel. Pedro looking like he just walked off the "Last of Us" set and put on a toga. Paul not standing out at all. And then the rap song plays. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 48July 9, 2024 7:20 PM

R47 he’s already one of the fastest rising stars in Hollywood. Keep up. He’s booked nonstop since 2020.

by Anonymousreply 49July 9, 2024 7:55 PM

I just don't get Mescal. Plain looking dude, so-so actor and after watching this CGI-infested trailer I'd say he should have worked out a bit harder.

Ridley Scott's insistence on making the ancient world look like 5 million people lived in each town kills the fantasy for me.

by Anonymousreply 50July 9, 2024 8:20 PM

So-so actor? That’s definitely someone who hasn’t watched his work. Just someone who stalks him online, posts about him more than anyone else here and is always up to date on his projects. Yet says he’s a “so so” actor when he has a BAFTA, Olivier, an Oscar nod and an Emmy nod all by 25.

by Anonymousreply 51July 9, 2024 8:31 PM

This thread reeks of the foul putrid stench of the dried up deset pussy of THEPAULMESCALLOVER

by Anonymousreply 52July 9, 2024 8:35 PM

It looks great. I’ll watch it although it will be undoubtedly a cultural appropriation of Roman history.

by Anonymousreply 53July 9, 2024 8:47 PM

R53 no. It won’t be.

by Anonymousreply 54July 9, 2024 9:03 PM

What cultural appropriation? People who say this clearly don’t know the history of the Roman Empire and they don’t wanna learn. The latter is the bigger issue. It’s one thing to not know and seek out learning about it. It’s an issue when facts are provided to you but you still choose to be ignorant of the facts.

Learn a bit from the official Museum of London and the fact black men were there, something many have tried to rewrite and erase over the years.

Might I add, Denzel isn’t playing a Roman Emperor. Joseph Quinn is the Roman Emperor. Maybe pay attention to the trailer and the dialogue before commenting. Denzel is clearly playing a former slave who wants to take down the Roman Empire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 9, 2024 9:14 PM

With those earrings and caftan, is Denzel playing the Billy Porter of Rome?

by Anonymousreply 56July 9, 2024 9:27 PM

R49 = Paul Mescal’s mother.

by Anonymousreply 57July 9, 2024 9:36 PM

GLADIATOR!

by Anonymousreply 58July 9, 2024 10:11 PM

The very first frame of the trailer is a conversation between Denzel and Mescal about Denzel taking Mescal under his wing. Later in the trailer he states they must take down the Roman Empire etc. yet someone on here keeps on going on about Denzel playing a Roman Emperor when he clearly isn’t. Did you at least watch the trailer before commenting? It’s very obvious you didn’t.

Denzel is playing a former slave who is now free and lives in Rome, but isn’t a part of the Empire. He seems to be training the slaves who have to fight inside the coliseum on how to take down the entire empire.

by Anonymousreply 59July 9, 2024 10:20 PM

To the dumbass crying all over the thread:

“Denzel is an arms dealer who supplies food for the armies in Europe, supplies wine and oil, makes steel, makes spears, weapons, cannons, and catapults. So he is a very wealthy man. Instead of having a stable of racehorses, he has a stable of gladiators. He’s beautiful. He drives a golden Ferrari. I got him a gold-plated chariot.”

That is from Ridley Scott himself. He’s an arms dealer and businessman. Not a part of the Empire but does business with them. Relax.

by Anonymousreply 60July 9, 2024 10:27 PM

The trailer doesn't get me excited or makes me want to leave my house to go see this movie. It was very underwhelming, just like when Paul Mescal pulls his pants down.

by Anonymousreply 61July 9, 2024 11:37 PM

Paul’s Oscar next year is all but guaranteed.

by Anonymousreply 62July 10, 2024 12:39 AM

Ancient Rome did not look like what they have portrayed here, nor did it in the first movie. Gladiators were the celebrities of their day. It was a lucrative life and they had huge followings. This was popular entertainment, not political.

by Anonymousreply 63July 10, 2024 12:51 AM

R63 oh buddy. You’re so off it’s crazy.

by Anonymousreply 64July 10, 2024 12:59 AM

Mescal played a sensitive gay dead lover and and got fucked in the movie. He wears 70’s slutty shorts runs a lot in paparrazi pics and gets to be a movie star. Make it make sense.

by Anonymousreply 65July 10, 2024 1:15 AM

R65 you think that was his only role? His breakout role was in 2020, where he won a BAFTA and got an Emmy nomination. All of Us Strangers was his most recent project before Gladiator.

He didn’t get fucked. A. They were acting. It’s simulated. It isn’t real. B. He played the top.

by Anonymousreply 66July 10, 2024 1:18 AM

Denzel looks good again. I feared he’d be a bloated mess from now on but he slimmed down and it shows in his face.

by Anonymousreply 67July 10, 2024 1:32 AM

Denzel, like all these wealthy movie stars has access to the best dieticians, and trainers, and doctors in the world. Of course he looks good. He works at it.

by Anonymousreply 68July 10, 2024 4:56 PM

And the fact that Denzel is black

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 10, 2024 10:07 PM

R63 You know what ancient Rome looked like? Man, I thought I was old.

by Anonymousreply 70July 10, 2024 10:45 PM

[QUOTE]Denzel, like all these wealthy movie stars has access to the best dieticians, and trainers, and doctors in the world. Of course he looks good. He works at it.

That explains why Russell Crowe looks so sexy these days, R68.

by Anonymousreply 71July 10, 2024 10:52 PM

Everyone I know is dying to see this!

by Anonymousreply 72July 11, 2024 12:39 AM

[quote] Everyone I know is dying to see this!

Those who are about to die?

by Anonymousreply 73July 11, 2024 12:46 AM

R71, I said they had access I didn't say they took advantage of it.

by Anonymousreply 74July 11, 2024 12:49 AM

R74 exactly. Crowe is rich and has access to the best of everything. He could get in shape easily if he wanted. I don’t think he cares to. He seems happier as a fatty.

by Anonymousreply 75July 11, 2024 12:52 AM

R62, Assuming you're serious: no.

by Anonymousreply 76July 11, 2024 10:18 AM

How did Lucius, Connie Nielsen’s thoughtful son, end up as a gladiator?

by Anonymousreply 77July 11, 2024 12:14 PM

Is that Caracalla vs Geta? And will Elegabalus make an appearance?

by Anonymousreply 78July 11, 2024 12:34 PM

R77 pretty sure he hated everything he saw as a child and ran away. He was found elsewhere and brought back as a slave

by Anonymousreply 79July 11, 2024 1:18 PM

Hey (R66)

Fuck right off. Paul

by Anonymousreply 80July 12, 2024 10:41 AM

r78 Elagabalus would have been around six to ten during the events of this movie, so I doubt an unimportant cousin at that age will make a cameo. Maybe, as an Easter egg for Roman history fans.

by Anonymousreply 81July 12, 2024 1:40 PM

Denzel’s acting is like this is Training Day 2.

by Anonymousreply 82July 12, 2024 1:51 PM

R82 = R48

by Anonymousreply 83July 12, 2024 1:54 PM

Meh - the standard big budget festival.

by Anonymousreply 84July 12, 2024 2:00 PM

R81, I am not privy to the content of the movie but you seem to be ;) Sounds like Elagabalus will be in Gladiator III. It would be nice if Caracalla would be offed while taking a shit on the side of the road, as it happened in real life, but they will probably move this into the Colosseum.

by Anonymousreply 85July 12, 2024 2:11 PM

Some fans of the first Gladiator are up in arms about the fact that Spencer Treat Clark, the original "Lucius' wasn't hired to reprise the role.

That said, the actor has matured quite nicely, thank you very much:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 12, 2024 2:26 PM

Because of social media and entertainment being covered exhaustively in regular news, every actor on promos seems overexposed and underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 87July 12, 2024 3:16 PM

Promo!

by Anonymousreply 88July 12, 2024 3:31 PM

It was a small role but STC was good in the original. I thought he actually was British.

by Anonymousreply 89July 12, 2024 3:42 PM

[QUOTE] Some fans of the first Gladiator are up in arms about the fact that Spencer Treat Clark, the original "Lucius' wasn't hired to reprise the role.

They needed some star power. They needed a big name on the posters and marquees that wouldn’t wilt under the bright lights. So they hired Paul Mescale (I think that’s how you spell it).

by Anonymousreply 90July 12, 2024 3:50 PM

Someone on here thinks these movies are documentaries. They’re fiction. Like most films. Even those based on true stories.

Get it together.

R90 you know how to spell his name. You’ve made threads on him before. 🍵

by Anonymousreply 91July 12, 2024 4:20 PM

It's *historical* fiction. You can't get around the most basic historical facts that we have on that period, and the succession is one of those cold hard facts. Hence Septimius Severus being up there with Caracalla and Geta, not Julius Caesar. He didn't put Napoleon in a pair of jeans either. Think a bit before you open your gob next time.

by Anonymousreply 92July 12, 2024 4:56 PM

Honestly, maybe just don't open your gob for a while, r91, seeing how fully a third of this thread is just your replies.

by Anonymousreply 93July 12, 2024 4:59 PM

R93 only someone with nothing to do all day has time to even check on that. Based on your posting histories (yes, plural) you have nothing to do ever.

by Anonymousreply 94July 12, 2024 5:01 PM

I like the hot men, though I’d rather see them having sexual relationships than all the awful violence.

by Anonymousreply 95July 12, 2024 5:24 PM

Sex is violence and violence is sex, you pearl clutcher r95

by Anonymousreply 96July 12, 2024 6:28 PM

[quote] A handful of bored losers looking for something to be outraged about to feel important in their otherwise worthless lives are up in arms about the fact that Spencer Treat Clark, the original "Lucius' wasn't hired to reprise the role.

FIFY.

by Anonymousreply 97July 12, 2024 6:42 PM

Didn't need fixing, R97. If you could give a shit, that's on you.

by Anonymousreply 98July 12, 2024 7:01 PM

He was a child actor. No one knows who he is. Mescal is rising in Hollywood. Of course they will cast him in a lead role over that loser NO ONE knows.

by Anonymousreply 99July 12, 2024 7:19 PM

It’s already one of Paramount’s most watched trailers ever

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 12, 2024 7:20 PM

Denzel looks to be overacting beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 101July 12, 2024 8:06 PM

Most watched with 382,000 dislikes.

by Anonymousreply 102July 18, 2024 9:35 PM

Because people are pissed about the song

by Anonymousreply 103July 18, 2024 11:11 PM

They have good taste it's excrement. My mother loved the first film for it's soundtrack and that's what I prefer to remember.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 21, 2024 4:21 PM

Trailer 2 is here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 23, 2024 6:47 PM

I never saw the first one.

by Anonymousreply 106September 23, 2024 6:55 PM

Spencer Treat Clark played Stephen Frame (Son of Vicky Hudson and Jamie Frame) on Another World in the 90s. You mean there are people who don't know this?!

by Anonymousreply 107September 23, 2024 7:07 PM

Looks too action-y, I'd prefer a more artsy sequel.

by Anonymousreply 108September 23, 2024 7:10 PM

r105 Kinda unfortunate thumbnail – Mescal looks so smol compared to the two gladiators in the background. Blocking 101.

by Anonymousreply 109September 23, 2024 7:19 PM

Paul Mescal seems plain and almost fug in still photos, but on film he’s quite charismatic.

Same thing with Joseph Quinn, who seems to be playing a queeny flouncing hate crime as the emperor.

I’d much rather watch them play brothers on film. Or even better, lovers.

by Anonymousreply 110September 23, 2024 7:43 PM

[quote]We will all be watching.

Don’t bet on it.

by Anonymousreply 111September 23, 2024 8:09 PM

I agree, r110, from photos I didn’t understand the fuss until i saw All of us Strangers.

by Anonymousreply 112September 23, 2024 8:16 PM

So, is the 2nd trailer saying Lucious is Maximus's son?

Is Padro Pascal's character a villain? A good guy? Mixed?

by Anonymousreply 113September 23, 2024 8:17 PM

Yes he is Maximus’s son.

by Anonymousreply 114September 23, 2024 8:20 PM

Well, well, so Maximus had a babyus on the wrong side of the blanketus.

by Anonymousreply 115September 23, 2024 8:22 PM

R112 then you didn’t watch Aftersun? Normal People?

The latter is what made him a beloved heartthrob.

by Anonymousreply 116September 23, 2024 8:27 PM

smol

by Anonymousreply 117September 23, 2024 9:29 PM

I love our beloved Paul….but this movie has all the makings of a bomb

by Anonymousreply 118September 23, 2024 9:33 PM

PaulMescalLover, please return to DL and torture all of the Mescal naysayers!

Only YOU can make their heads explode and fingers cramp as they furiously type retorts to you peans to Paul!

by Anonymousreply 119September 23, 2024 9:33 PM

A third film is already set to be made.

by Anonymousreply 120September 23, 2024 9:40 PM

R113

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 23, 2024 11:23 PM

[QUOTE] A third film is already set to be made.

There were two sequels for “Exorcist: Believer” that were also set to be made before its release, R120. The movie was a dumpster fire. You know what the studio did with their sequel plans? They burned them in the same dumpster fire as “Exorcist: Believer.”

by Anonymousreply 122September 23, 2024 11:29 PM

R122 false. Theyre making another Exorcist film but fired the director of Believer

by Anonymousreply 123September 23, 2024 11:31 PM

R122

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 23, 2024 11:33 PM

Another Exorcist is still happening, it just won’t be with David Gordon Green. He was supposed to do a trilogy but after Believer they are getting a new Director for the next one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 23, 2024 11:34 PM

This is gonna be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 126September 24, 2024 3:50 AM

I like Paul Mescal fine enough. He was great in Normal People. Aftersun is a masterpiece.

I hope this is good.

by Anonymousreply 127September 24, 2024 4:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!