Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

California is producing "too much" solar energy

NBC did a report on this story, but the idiotic reporter doesn't explain why over producing solar energy is a bad thing.

Can anyone explain why having too much solar energy is a problem?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2024 2:11 PM

The "problem" is that a portion of the energy being produced by solar is being wasted. They just need to add more batteries for storage.

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2024 11:02 AM

Solar power is ridiculous: the sun goes down every single evening.

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2024 11:08 AM

People in the comments section are asking that if there is too much solar energy being produced, then why are electricity prices still so high?

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2024 11:09 AM

People are ridiculous: they go to sleep every single evening.

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2024 11:21 AM

Cuz we is stealing it from the sun and then the sun will die.

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2024 11:35 AM

Storage issues and transmission issues.

Texas produces a ton of wind energy but it’s all in west TX and getting transmission lines across the state to the more populated areas is difficult, due to private property rights.

We got solar panels 18 months ago and couldn’t be happier but the storage battery was made by Tesla so I said absolutely not until they got a different manufacturer and also, it was something like $20k. So no, we don’t get solar power overnight but our panels are working from the moment the sun hits them until it goes down. And we get a credit on our bill for any power that we take from the grid, which is minimal.

Here is a snapshot of our YTD production: we’ve exported a good amount to the grid (you’re welcome, Texas).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2024 11:52 AM

We’re in the process of spec-ing out solar. Tax rebates are fantastic right now and could change depending on which way the political winds shift. We have an ideal southern facing backyard and can break even in 8 1/2 years. Won’t do battery backup in initial build just to get going. I’m feeling great about it.

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2024 12:09 PM

How much are you talking about for an initial investment, r7?

And about how much would battery backup add?

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2024 1:30 PM

I'm providing a link to a site that can generate some quotes for you based on your usage and current electric bills. Here's their pitch: "Based on your average monthly electric bill of $207.82, and with electricity rates increasing 2.6% each year in OH, you’ll pay your utility roughly $64,355 over the next 20 years. Switching to solar will drastically reduce your electricity costs, saving you around $35,283 over the same 20-year timeline." Mind you, this is just the first quote I've gotten back (we ran the numbers a few years ago too and didn't pull the trigger). We're looking at $29,520. of which $8,856. comes back as a tax rebate so net system price of $20,664. Break even is 8.4 years. The net cost to add the battery was $11,638. I'm guessing the battery tech and costs will improve in the coming years so I'm OK holding off on that. It's worth noting, I'm also making my way through the house looking for smart ways to reduce our usage. For example, we finally cut the cable cord (I know, long debate with husband) but that takes 3 Tivo boxes permanently offline. I'm in on this to be green, but for my husband, it needs to make financial sense. I think we're there on both accounts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2024 1:54 PM

Just drove back from Vegas, and right outside of Primm, there were these giant cranes emitting unbelievably bright light. Turns out it's a solar energy power generator:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2024 2:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!