Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Celebrity gaps in your knowledge.

I find this happens to me a lot, particularly with the vast number of "names" there are now in acting, comedy, social media, infotainment, podcasting, etc. Are there "famous" people everyone's talking about on DL or elsewhere, and you have no idea who this person is? While, on the other hand, you do know a good number of other famous people.

For ex. I read so much about Ben Barnes, on DL and I have never seen this person in anything. Not one thing. Every time I see the name, I confuse it with Billy Barnes, the songwriter who composed Something Cool. I have never seen Supernatural. I know what the guys on that look like, but can't name them, On the other hand, I know who Froy Gutierrez is (do not know him due to DL), and Alex Lange, and really minor celebs of all kinds.

by Anonymousreply 51July 11, 2024 4:01 PM

There used to be thread on DL constantly about Miles Heizer and Connor Jessup. I knew Heizer (from 13 Reasons Why) but not Jessup. It's always stuff like this. There are literally too many people to know. I don't know how you all do it.

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2024 6:15 AM

I mean how do some of you seems to watch every TV show and movie that comes out? Isn't it exhausting?

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2024 6:21 AM

*seem (sorry, it's late)

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2024 6:22 AM

All the Heartstoppers.

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2024 6:32 AM

R4 That's a good one. Though personally I at least know who the two leads are.

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2024 6:46 AM

Most, OP. Most.

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2024 6:47 AM

And of course I know next to nothing about most of the Broadway performers that get mentioned here - unless they're famous in another medium - or dead, and were on my parents' cast albums...

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2024 6:56 AM

I don't live in or visit New York and if I did I could not afford to go to shows these days anyway.

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2024 6:57 AM

The mood on this thread…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2024 7:00 AM

I'm always amazed at how many people know who a given celeb is dating, has dated, had had a baby with, cheated on...granted it's a gossip site...haha. But you really would have to study to know all this.

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2024 7:00 AM

OP I often feel like you as well. But here’s my take, because DL anonymous, it often seems like many different people are discussing things, people, or pop culture that others might not know. But in reality, it's usually can be just a small group involved.

For example, if someone posts about "TV star John" on DL, only a few fans of "TV star John" might join in and engage in repeated discussions. This can create the illusion of widespread interest in "TV star John," when it's actually a niche topic among a small group of users on DL.

The anonymous setup can make it seem like there's a lot of diversity in discussions, but it often boils down to just a handful of users focusing on specific topics. It's important to remember this when considering the scale and impact of discussions here—it's not about being uninformed overall, but rather not being aware of the particular discussions happening among a smaller group.

by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2024 8:31 AM

I read Will Durant’s Story of Civilization when I was a boy excited that when the task would be complete, I would know the history of civilization.

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2024 8:57 AM

Lots of people that get mentioned on here. I'm forever having to Google names. Usually American actors no one outside the US has heard of.

Or anyone who came to prominence in the 21st century if I'm honest.

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2024 9:10 AM

OP, Please go watch the 2009 version of Oscar Wilde’s “Dorian Gray”, Ben Barnes at his absolutely peak beauty. He also costarred in the HBO series Westworld as a delicious distraction as a “wanna be a cowboy” tech bro. It would’ve been nice to see some male on male action, maybe just a threesome with another guy instead of two girl robots…

It’s all been downhill for him since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2024 9:23 AM

I am not a movie goer.

Consequently, I never watch the awards shows because I have no knowledge of the "stars" being awarded.

"Who?"

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2024 10:09 AM

Chappel Roan. I have no idea where this person came from or what they are all about.

by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2024 10:19 AM

In my case there's far more gaps than knowledge. The only celebs I have awareness of is the pretty ones like Timothee Chamalet, but even then I am constantly surprised by the pretty male celebs that people on here dig up that I'd never heard of

by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2024 10:39 AM

I feel the same way, OP. Most of the time I have to search Google for names I see here. Also, abbreviating show names: OTNB, SATC, etc. has me scratching my head. Granted, I'm not big on celebrity gossip etc. (but it's alway fun to read the bitchy, snarky comments here on The DL).

by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2024 10:45 AM

Most of the ones mentioned as well as something called Sydney Sweeny. Have no clue who it is but someone here (a straight guy/lesbian?) keeps trying too make it happen.

Oh, and Shawn Mendez. No clue. No intetest.

by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2024 10:45 AM

The entire rap/hiphop industry

by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2024 11:05 AM

Isn't there an age where people no longer consider celebrity news a priority? I mean....I love DL and would have NO idea who most of these "new" celebs are if it wasn't for it, but I feel like there was a point when I stopped watching all of the entertainment and award shows because it got so pointless.

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2024 11:08 AM

If they’re TikTok famous or YouTube famous I will never know their name.

by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2024 11:11 AM

Paul Mascal? Some freak yammers about him all the time. No clue who he is.

by Anonymousreply 23July 9, 2024 2:12 PM

R11 I think like you do on this. At the same time, I tend to forget it.

In many ways I've always been like this...because I'm on a slightly different wavelength. The people who discuss What's My Line? are a good example--I participate in those threads but only because I know some of the celebrities. But some people seem to have encyclopedic knowledge of the show. There can't be all that many who do.

Anyway I remember as a teen a lot of people would know music and rock stars I didn't know. I knew who was on the radio--if I happened to catch the name, or they were famous. Some kids used to read The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. It was a niche thing--then. At least where I lived. I never cared about it and never read more than a chapter because it wasn't my taste. I've never seen more than half an hour of one of the movies because I don't care. I don't care about Star Wars. I've only seen one Marvel or DC movie. Every time I see the letters DCU I have to stop and figure out what that means. On the other hand I love certain TV series and movies and music and know everything (almost) about those things. I get deeply interested in one or two things at a time. But my general knowledge can have big gaps.

by Anonymousreply 24July 9, 2024 5:55 PM

R19 I have no idea who Sydney Sweeney is, either. It's like these celebs come out of nowhere (sort of like musicians who show up on SNL--which I never watch--who suddenly become superstars after one appearance and everyone is supposed to fall at their feet--usually, they're already stars in England). I do know who Sean Mendez is but again it's just one of those weird things where you know who one celeb is and not another. I knew Cameron Dallas from somewhere. He was put together at MagCon with Mendez by promoters. I'm interested in how people become stars, become famous, and are promoted. I also like singer-songwriters, and I like Canadian artists. So sometimes things just connect.

by Anonymousreply 25July 9, 2024 6:02 PM

*Mendes

by Anonymousreply 26July 9, 2024 6:03 PM

R23 Exactly

by Anonymousreply 27July 9, 2024 6:03 PM

R21 Good point

by Anonymousreply 28July 9, 2024 6:04 PM

R22 Sometimes I will, sometimes I won't. I watch some YouTubers. Either because they're attractive or funny. Tbh I'm fascinated by how they go from rags to riches, get discovered and signed by powerful agents, get put into mansions...have friendships created out of thin air. I'm not cynical, I really like some of them.

by Anonymousreply 29July 9, 2024 6:08 PM

Julia Fox

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 9, 2024 6:09 PM

I think many DLers are Brian and Wilford Brimley in this clip. 😂

"I tell ya, every year I recognize fewer and fewer names." 🤣

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 9, 2024 6:20 PM

And what's his name--Nicholas Galitzine -- and his friend. I never heard of the friend, and barely of Galitzine. There are 22 or 3 three people who seem obsessed with proving he's gay. OBSESSED, Who cares?

OTOH I know about Dylan Gieck and people like that--I've followed him on Instagram for years.

by Anonymousreply 32July 9, 2024 6:20 PM

*2 or 3 (lol)

by Anonymousreply 33July 9, 2024 6:21 PM

I think Chalamet is odd-looking with that huge top of his head and very thin/pasty small body.

by Anonymousreply 34July 9, 2024 6:25 PM

R32 - I had to look up who Dylan Gieck is. Yep to all the above

by Anonymousreply 35July 9, 2024 6:54 PM

R35 Dylan Gieck has often been the subject of DL discussions or threads.

by Anonymousreply 36July 9, 2024 7:25 PM

Because I don't subscribe to Hulu, Netflix, HBO, or anything else that isn't Britbox, Prime, or PBS, plus the major Basic Cable channels, I never know any EMMY nominee. And though I could therefore still watch that popular school show, I cannot abide the "breaking the 4th wall" gimmick.

With movies, although I once read and still collect comic books, they are all D. C. I have no interest in Marvel anything.

Or Sci-fi. Or zombies. Or toys. Or animation.

So yep, I am unfamiliar with many "celebrities."

I'd know even fewer if I didn't read the dreaded UK Daily Mail!

by Anonymousreply 37July 9, 2024 8:04 PM

I didn't know who Paul Mescal was for the longest time other than that some trollish freak on DL posted about him obsessively and talked about him as if we were familiar with every detail of his life.

Then this summer I finally saw him in "Normal People." He's a good actor, but not really that much of a beauty (although he is quite fit).

by Anonymousreply 38July 9, 2024 8:07 PM

Op, I think it's an age thing, I'm just not that interested in who the latest celeb going through their 15 minutes is. They come and go so fast by the time I know who they are they're has beens

by Anonymousreply 39July 9, 2024 8:09 PM

I know nothing about reality stars, though it pains me to admit that they qualify as "celebrities" these days.

by Anonymousreply 40July 9, 2024 8:19 PM

R40 I'm reminded of exchange scene between a silent film star (Gene Kelly) and a snobby stage actress (Debbie Reynolds) from SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952) which is about Hollywood's transition to "talkies" in the late 1920s.

KATHY: I can't tell you how sorry I am for mistaking you for a criminal, but I knew I'd seen you before.

DON: Of course, which one of my pictures have you seen?

KATHY: I don't remember. I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one, you've seen them all. No offense. Movies are entertaining enough for the masses, but the personalities on the screen just don't impress me. I mean, they don't talk. They don't act. They just make a lot of dumb show. Well, you know...

DON: Wait a minute! You mean, I'm not an actor? Pantomime on the screen isn't acting?

KATHY: Of course not! Acting means great parts. Wonderful lines. Speaking those glorious words. Shakespeare.. Ibsen.

DON: What's your lofty mission in life that lets you sneer at my humble profession?

KATHY: I'm an actress... on the stage.

DON: Oh, I'd like to see you act. What are you in right now? I could brush up on my English. Bring along an interpreter. That is, if they'd let in a movie actor.

KATHY: Oh, you can laugh if you want to, but at least the stage is a dignified, honorable profession. And what have you got to be so conceited about? You're nothing but a shadow on film. You're not flesh and blood. Just because you're a big movie star -- wild parties -- swimming pools -- you expect every girl to fall in a dead faint at your feet. Well, don't you touch me!

by Anonymousreply 41July 9, 2024 9:01 PM

Who the fuck is BAMBI ?

by Anonymousreply 42July 9, 2024 9:18 PM

Sindy Sweeny?? I think she sings that Espresso song.

by Anonymousreply 43July 9, 2024 9:22 PM

R40 It's' funny. I don't watch any of the FUCKING Housewives shows or Vanderpump Rules etc. BUT I know who the people are because many of the shows I listen to discuss them. I can't get away from it. Shit, even Stern talks about them.

I will admit to liking the gifs that are made from these dumb shows. I mean....I love a bitchy woman.

by Anonymousreply 44July 10, 2024 12:07 PM

I know even less about the housewives shows than tnat--I also know almost nothing about the Kardashians. Also have almost no interest in the British Royal Family or Harry and Meghan.

by Anonymousreply 45July 10, 2024 12:14 PM

I stopped consuming pop culture around 2012 but I'm constantly shitposting online so I'm aware of most of the new celebs and influencers.

by Anonymousreply 46July 10, 2024 12:16 PM

R46 and by consuming I mean I don't watch new films, new shows, or listen to new music - but I will watch videos bitching about or mocking all that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 47July 10, 2024 12:16 PM

The entire whore industry

by Anonymousreply 48July 10, 2024 3:32 PM

Bambi = Nicholas Galitzine aka He-Man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 10, 2024 4:18 PM

R49 you just know those 'woke' Hollywood elites are trolling everyone by casting that woman-faced femboy as He-Man, whose name literally means ostentatiously masculine.

He could not be more miscast.

by Anonymousreply 50July 10, 2024 7:37 PM

R50 Maybe they do it to appeal to the anti-toxic-masculinity, younger crowd. They'd probably cast Harry Styles as He-Man, in the ruby slippers and Dorothy's dress, if they could make money doing it.

by Anonymousreply 51July 11, 2024 4:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!