Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ragdollface Thread

Anyone else have one of these delightful sweet felines? I have shared my home and heart with three lovelies for the past 21 years: Aris, my first ever cat and a seal bicolour so darling she charmed my hardcore dog-loving mother, Spazzy the Ragdoll/DSH mix who was always mistaken for a traditional Siamese mix due to her beautiful seal brown tuxedo like coat, and my latest and youngest Cumulus, a stunning funny sweet gentle blue bicolour boy. His photo was taken April 10th. Marvel at his beauty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 10, 2024 1:48 PM

I have a seal point. He's a 16 lb big goof. His eyes are big and round so he always looks either surprised or pissed off. Even though my cleaner has been coming every 2 weeks for his whole life, he runs and hides behind the washing machine when she is here.

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2024 6:52 AM

A friend of mine has three rag dolls and loves them to bits! They are very sweet cats! But they sure shed a lot.

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2024 6:57 AM

I love your Cumulus beauty! I think ragdolls may be the most gorgeous of all the breeds His markings are so delicate and are well matched to his sky blue eyes. I'd love to have one some day. I've already got my hands full with my two British shorthair brother and sister. Please excuse my dumb sounding drooling, but I love me some puddie-tatts and can't help it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2024 7:03 AM

Yeah the shedding is freaking unreal but they're worth it. Also the males are frigging YUGE. My boy turned a year old May 28th and he's 17 lbs already. My girl Aris was 14 lbs when she stopped growing at age 3.

The Chom Chom roller helps a lot with all the hair, but vacuuming is best.

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2024 7:04 AM

r3 you're an ailurophile like me, you don't dumb at all.

Check out Ragalong Ragdolls/Briar Glen Farm; it's where I got both Aris and Cumulus. They have beening breeding traditional Ragdolls from Ann Baker's stock since 1994. Aris lived to be 14 and a half. Pet Quality is $600 Canadian, $936 total due to altering, vet check, first two vaccinations and tax (though I'm a BC resident like Alan McCorkindale himself). Cumulus is actually show quality but I got him for the pet quality cost as he was already four months old. BGF guarantees three years of perfect health with their kittens. The kittens also DNA test negative for HCM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2024 7:13 AM

All that said your British Shorthairs would probably beat the snot out of a Ragdoll. What is the temperment of Brit Shorthairs?

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2024 7:18 AM

OP/R5, that is actually an excellent price for Ragdolls, especially with great breeding. Very tempting. Very.

My British shorthairs would not be pleased with another cat in the house. They are not friendly toward other cats but they do like a few small dogs. Mine are 9 year old brother and sister that I rescued at the age of 4 years. The previous owner was an older lady that passed away. I was only looking to adopt one cat but took them both because I was concerned they might have separation issues. Just the idea they were coming to a new home after being in a different one for 4 years was going to be a lot for them. It was hard on the girl cat. She has been very stubborn and untrusting. It took time and patience since she refused to accept me for the first 2 to 2 1/2 years. The boy is a total lover. He immediately falls in love with anyone that glances his way. He falls down and rolls onto his back to get belly rubs from everyone. The girl cat has finally come around and is stuck to me like glue 24-7. I love my cats, I guess it's obvious. I love looking at cat posts on Instagram. There are so many interesting cats online. If any of you have favorite Instagram cats or channels please share them here for me, TIA!

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2024 7:41 AM

The reason Briar Glen Farms's Ragalong Ragdolls are so inexpensive r3/r7 is the fact that they also breed Great Pyrenees dogs and Dorset sheep. It's a beautiful farm with well cared for animals. The place is clean and well run.

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2024 7:58 AM

I get my ragdoll shaved in lion cut every 3-4months and it cuts down on the hair in the house immensely. I am allergic to cats but have the big lug and a Siamese boy also.

by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2024 8:14 AM

I want a Siamese Cat but these look intriguing. I’m going to check that site posted above.

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2024 8:14 AM

Beautiful kitty.

Y’all, please your local shelter and rescue groups - many have purebred cats and dogs.

by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2024 8:16 AM

I have never had luck finding any purebred Orientals at shelters/rescues but I suppose it could happen.

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2024 8:22 AM

I want a bulldog.

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2024 8:24 AM

Ragdoll cats are dogs in cat's clothing.

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2024 8:30 AM

We had a rag doll for eighteen years and loved him to bits. When he died, we had a couple of years with no pets and then bought two beautiful rag doll kittens. They are two years old now. Just absolute joys.

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2024 9:18 AM

Do burebreed cats have less medical issues? I have a domestic tabby and he's got all sorts of problems (urinary crystals anal glands, gets sick and shita himself even for short car rides). I notice my friends and acquaintances who have purebreds have no issues with their health. Kind of puts a damper on the whole adopt, don't shop commandment. I wouldn't trade my kitty for another, btw. He's a loving and sweet cat. But if I were to get another, I would reconsider a breeder this time.

by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2024 4:58 PM

It really depends on the breed and breedline, but my Raggie/DSH mix was very healthy until her late senior years; she had urine crystals and hyperthyroidism but died of cancer at 16 and a half. Cats also don't do well long term on just kibble, they need wet or raw food as their ancestors got nearly all their water from their fresh prey diet.

I hope you many more years with your cute little Heinz 57 tabby r16.

by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2024 6:11 PM

A lot of rescue cats are feral and therefore mixed, not purebreds or desirable mixes. Doesn't mean they aren't adorable and nice cats. However, exposure to disease/parasites and lack of veterinary care on the streets probably contributes to later health issues and shorter lifespans unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2024 7:54 PM

Ragdolls are big cuddlers. And laaazy. If you like to share a bed or couch with a fluff monster these are the guys for you.

by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2024 7:55 PM

I like those crazy Siamese.

by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2024 8:37 PM

He is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2024 9:39 PM

Exactly r19! Shove over, Cumie-Boom! 😆😺

by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2024 9:43 PM

They shed and 💩too excessively.

by Anonymousreply 23July 9, 2024 11:04 PM

R10, The issue I have with Siamese is the very loud meowing they are known for. My two cats and extremely quiet, a feature I have become used to and really like. Are the ragdolls known to be loud meowers? Any other breeds that are extra loud?

by Anonymousreply 24July 9, 2024 11:52 PM

r24 Raggles are quiet, musical meowers compared to the louder cats but there's always variation; I've heard one or two Raggie "owners" (no one truly owns a cat of course) that claimed their Rags were loud meowers but mine weren't. The DSH mix could yell though! 😆❤

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2024 1:21 AM

Sorry, what is DSH, r25?

by Anonymousreply 26July 10, 2024 1:55 AM

Domestic Short Hair

by Anonymousreply 27July 10, 2024 1:56 AM

When I first got my ragdoll as a 3 mo kitten, he dutifully made it up the stairs to be on the first night - like a Royale toilet paper kitty! Could barely make it up the stairs but he knew it was for cuddles some how. Anyhow, I was paranoid sleeping with such a "tiny" guy (altho he was already nearly 4 lbs) and thought I might roll over and kill him by accident in the night. Well, one night probably during first week after adoption and co-sleeping, I did roll over. Felt a purring at my breast/rib cage. Panic!! I am smothering him!! Well, I immediately roll off, and fling off the covers. He is purring even louder now, looking up at me and so happy! What a crazy little weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 28July 10, 2024 2:01 AM

Oh, funny story. I was set to give notice for a job in the morning. Couldn't sleep. At like 2 am, got a box of crackers to snack on while watching Netflix in bed. Pulled the bag out of the box. Next day, end of day, my sister calls to ask how it went giving notice. I hear a big commotion on the stairs with the cat. I run over, phone in hand. Well, Mr. Ragdoll has the bag of crackers on his head. Stuck his big snoot right in there and couldn't get out. He is at the top of the stairs. I am like - can he breathe?? OMG! The bag is going in and out like an accordion as he is panic-breathing. Luckily, I talked to him calmly and he let me approach. I pulled the bag off his head. My heart rate is just getting back to normal and still talking with my sister, who heard the entire episode. Like 1 min later he is in the living room licking his paws and grooming. Salt from the crackers...

by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2024 2:07 AM

I accidentally sat on Aris when she was fully grown but she was fine because she smushed into the cushions of the rattan chair. Didn't purr but she sure wasn't angry r28.

by Anonymousreply 30July 10, 2024 2:08 AM

That's so hilarious and typical of them r19/r29! 😆😆😆😆❤❤❤❤

by Anonymousreply 31July 10, 2024 2:10 AM

R30 LOL!

by Anonymousreply 32July 10, 2024 2:10 AM

r32 she almost seemed apologetic to me for crowding the chair! 😁 Silly goof.

by Anonymousreply 33July 10, 2024 2:20 AM

Re: Siamese vocalization. I actually like the interaction with mine. We have a conversation. The ragdoll is pretty quiet but makes cute noises, not like Siamese wanting to chat. Maybe the Siamese speaks for them both, I don't know. I just feed them.

by Anonymousreply 34July 10, 2024 2:28 AM

Oh and due to the Royale toilet tissue mention here's the old TV commercial with the Persian kittens. Canadiana right here, folks! LOOKITTHEPRECIOUSBABIESOHMYGOD!

Heh, oops. Got a little carried away there...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 10, 2024 2:30 AM

Haha r35. I thought they went upstairs, not down. LOL. And I didn't know it was Canadian!

by Anonymousreply 36July 10, 2024 2:33 AM

Royale is a paper products brand here, yeah.

by Anonymousreply 37July 10, 2024 1:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!