Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is the sit-to-stand test? A simple physical test that can predict how long you will live

The question of how healthy we are and how long we've got left on earth is something that even the least existential of us will have thought about at some point.

Unlike previous generations who were preoccupied with hunting for food or surviving plagues, most of us nowadays have the time and means to keep ourselves as healthy as possible - which means we are on average living much longer.

There are also plenty of tangible ways we can measure health, with one doctor in the US sharing a simple test which she believes can predict how many years you have left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 9, 2024 7:47 PM

slow news day.

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2024 12:57 AM

How the hell are you supposed to stand without using your knee?

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2024 1:02 AM

Fat whores tremble in fear.

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2024 1:03 AM

R1 obviously scored low on the test.

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2024 1:04 AM

On the news they just reported that a guy pulled out in front of a dump truck, he died. Wonder how he would have done on that test.

This Death Clock will also tell you when you are going to die and you don't even have to stand up. Probably just as accurate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2024 1:10 AM

My mother is 102 years old. And at no point in her adult life could she have done that woman's silly test.

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2024 1:36 AM

[quote]My mother is 102 years old. And at no point in her adult life could she have done that woman's silly test.

Clearly doesn't understand how statistics works.

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2024 1:45 AM

Well yes. The woman who did it successfully looks 25 and weighs 90 pounds.

I was able to do it by only using one hand - which I guess is a -1 deduction.

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2024 1:46 AM

R7 You cleary can't read.

by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2024 1:53 AM

I am just going to fall over and stay down; feel free to bury me.

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2024 2:01 AM

I’m 44 and I did it.

by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2024 2:02 AM

R11 is your core really strong? How did you not use a hand or a knee?

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2024 2:04 AM

It’s a test of your muscles, agility, balance. There’s a similar one where the challenge is to put on your socks and shows while standing on one foot with no support.

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2024 2:04 AM

I sure as hell can't do it. But I broke a lot of bones in my two motorcycle wrecks (in 42 years of riding, though) and have quite a number of metal pieces holding my bones together.

I can't run, even for a couple of steps, and have a very hard time getting up off the ground.

But it's OK. I'm lucky to be alive and still riding. And my idea of a "good death" is to die on the motorcycle -- as long as I'm "all the way dead."

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2024 2:15 AM

It could give you false sense of security that you're healthy. Just see your doctor.

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2024 2:21 AM

I try to do this at least once a day.

Watch him hop up at 20:52

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2024 2:54 AM

I've already had two glasses of wine, but I'll give it a go...wish me luck.

by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2024 3:04 AM

Did the dumb bastard who blew his brain out by lighting a fire cracker on his head over the 4th do this test?

by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2024 3:22 AM

Sorry, but can we please throw some media literacy in here? The title is misleading. In the article she clearly stated:

[quote]"It’s an indirect marker of your health," she explained,

In other words, it can be used as a test among other tests to estimate overall longevity. It does not "predict" how long you'll live. This is a link to Ladbible though, not sure what I expected 🤔

It is a good test that can show doctors several things like what r13 said. A strong core, knees, and ankles are important at any age. I'm 45 and do air squats and a lot of bodyweight exercises, not only for the strength, but because I have knee, hip & back problems that are painful if I don't do these exercises. If I slack for a month, I start having pain. By doing low-impact workouts with no weights, I can at least build up some muscle support around those areas. I'm gonna try the test when I get home; it's been a while. My balance is good though!

by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2024 3:54 AM

Okay, I call bullshit on this test.

by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2024 3:58 AM

This "test" is nothing new. I remember reading about it at least 20 years ago. I have no idea if it's ever been validated empirically.

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2024 4:30 AM

r3 Less of a tremble, more of a jiggle.

by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2024 4:56 AM

What about getting pounded by BBC and not prolapsing? Does that predict longevity after 50?

by Anonymousreply 23July 9, 2024 9:24 AM

Live with Agility in the Time of American Fascism and Climate Decline.

by Anonymousreply 24July 9, 2024 9:36 AM

I smell bullshit. The test is too limited to be an accurate predictor. What about cancer risk? Cancer is a huge killer. I could easily pass that test and be diagnosed with late-stage cancer tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 25July 9, 2024 10:27 AM

R5, I took the Death Clock test and was advised I'm scheduled to die at age 63. I took another life expectancy test the other day that estimated my death age as 87.

Hmph.

by Anonymousreply 26July 9, 2024 10:32 AM

I am dead!

by Anonymousreply 27July 9, 2024 7:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!