Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chicago: 109 shot and wounded, 19 dead in citywide holiday weekend gun violence. What now?

Is there any solution to the bloodshed? Stricter gun control? Bring in the National Guard during the summer months? A curfew? Or do we just let this continue?

109 (!) shot in a matter of days is the stuff of war zones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 11, 2024 6:01 PM

But crime is going down!

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2024 7:35 PM

Chicagoans have a form of Stockholm Syndrome that shuts their brains off to this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2024 7:37 PM

The thing about Chicago violence is that it stays contained to neighborhoods no one needs to go to so it's very easy to be insulated from it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2024 7:38 PM

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2024 7:38 PM

Don't these shootings only happen in the colored neighborhoods?

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2024 7:38 PM

Go back to the What's My Line? thread, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2024 7:39 PM

R6 Why?

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2024 7:40 PM

Whew chile, the ghetto

by Anonymousreply 8July 8, 2024 7:41 PM

You can thank the Supreme Court for invalidating Chicago's gun laws, and Indiana, for having no waiting period and background check.

by Anonymousreply 9July 8, 2024 7:42 PM

R1 I think you mean idiot Democrats.

Liberals are the ones who've gone really soft on crime.

Defunding the police and refusing to prosecute.

Mainly because the usual suspects are POC.

And they don't want to look racist going after them.

That's pretty much it.

White guilt is a mental disorder.

by Anonymousreply 10July 8, 2024 7:43 PM

Murders are down, but it’s otherwise a mixed bag

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 8, 2024 7:43 PM

"Through Friday 1,269 people had been non-fatally shot in Chicago this year, up from 1,225 at the same point last year. However, fewer shooting victims had died and homicides were down from 337 to 305."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 8, 2024 7:45 PM

You can do better, r10...well...maybe you can't. But you *try*, that's all that counts.

by Anonymousreply 13July 8, 2024 7:46 PM

We're fine, we send our love...

by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2024 7:54 PM

So their aim is getting worse even as shootings increase?

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2024 7:56 PM

[quote]and Indiana, for having no waiting period and background check.

I've been to Indiana several times and it is a fucking hellhole of ignorance and stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2024 7:56 PM

[quote]"Through Friday 1,269 people had been non-fatally shot in Chicago this year, up from 1,225 at the same point last year. However, fewer shooting victims had died and homicides were down from 337 to 305."

Of those shot but not fatally, it would be interesting to know how many remain with life altering wounds.

Today medicine is able to prevent death in even the most gruesome cases, but numbers don't tell the whole story.

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2024 8:00 PM

Chicago is a liberal mecca, but when you bring up our black mayor - Brandon Johnson - traipsing around in his Nascar drag and paying for makeup services and other thousands of taxpayer dollars to attend the Grammy's - everyone turns into a seething Maga blowhard.

HE's the problem... these people need our compassion - and soon - taxpayer dollars for reparations.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2024 8:25 PM

That's a few years worth of crime in a Canadian city.

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2024 8:56 PM

R19 But we’re #1!

by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2024 12:47 AM

Fucking insane

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2024 12:51 AM

Glad I left.

by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2024 1:15 AM

It's great here in Chicago. Low heat, no natural disasters, regular people living regular lives, clean, fresh.. Most violence is on the West, West side or Chatham or Englewood neighborhoods. Just keep to yourself like in every part of America and a person should be fine. It's the Republicans that love the guns that Chicago and America has a problem with.

by Anonymousreply 23July 9, 2024 2:18 AM

The shooters in Chicago are hardly Republicans. They're not political at all.

by Anonymousreply 24July 9, 2024 2:29 AM

[quote]It's the Republicans that love the guns that Chicago and America has a problem with.

Oh those gun-toting Chicago Republicans at it again!

by Anonymousreply 25July 9, 2024 2:37 AM

The point was that Republican gun lovers are responsible for nullifying commonsense gun laws that would have made Chicago a hell of a lot safer. It is unique that the violence was confined to Black neighborhoods. Usually it's spread all over the city, although not to the same extent as the South and West sides. The rest of the city literally dodged a bullet over the last week.

by Anonymousreply 26July 9, 2024 2:39 AM

[quote] Most violence is on the West, West side or Chatham or Englewood neighborhoods.

Did it ever occur to you that people who live in those neighborhoods, can't avoid those neighborhoods?

by Anonymousreply 27July 9, 2024 2:40 AM

[quote]It is unique that the violence was confined to Black neighborhoods.

Unique? You are so full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 28July 9, 2024 2:42 AM

Yes R27, Has it ever occurred to you how hard life is? These poor black ppl and brown ppl would love to live in the suburbs or safe from gang violence, but do you realize how hard it is to save money when you have kids? I'm in "these" neighborhoods right now. I see that it's not discrimination or gender equality but poverty, drugs, alcohol that destroying our communities

by Anonymousreply 29July 9, 2024 2:56 AM

r10 loves to WW herself

by Anonymousreply 30July 9, 2024 2:59 AM

I love how so many people think the answer is more gun control, because we all know criminals respect the law

by Anonymousreply 31July 9, 2024 3:07 AM

[quote]but do you realize how hard it is to save money when you have kids?

So don't have kids until you work your way up in the world. Whites and Asians figured this out a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 32July 9, 2024 3:23 AM

R28, here's a Chicago gun crimes map that shows that gun crimes occur all over the city, including the Loop. Is there more crime on the South and West side. Absolutely, as I said, but it's not limited to there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 9, 2024 3:30 AM

[quote] The point was that Republican gun lovers are responsible for nullifying commonsense gun laws that would have made Chicago a hell of a lot safer.

The people there don’t need guns to act like animals and do massive damage, hon.

by Anonymousreply 34July 9, 2024 3:55 AM

R29 is a troll.

by Anonymousreply 35July 9, 2024 3:56 AM

This is every July 4th weekend in Chicago isn’t it? There’s a lot of great stuff about Chicago but unfortunately it seems like gun violence isn’t going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 36July 9, 2024 4:00 AM

If they’re not dead it doesn’t count.

by Anonymousreply 37July 9, 2024 7:52 AM

I'm sure all the criminals check all the gun laws , you know , so they can be secure that what they are doing is Legal.

by Anonymousreply 38July 9, 2024 10:48 AM

I'm grateful to be Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 39July 9, 2024 10:55 AM

[quote]HE's the problem... these people need our compassion - and soon - taxpayer dollars for reparations.

BWAAAAH. Reparations. BWAAAAH.

by Anonymousreply 40July 9, 2024 11:30 AM

Social media is fueling gang wars in places like Chicago and Jacksonville and taking it to levels of violence and chaos never seen before. There are subreddits that go in depth on the daily gang violence and it all happens over instagram. You go on instagram live to brag about who you killed, insult dead opps, show off your weapons and contraband - your enemies watch and try to figure out where you’re streaming from so they can kill you. The drill music is far more violent and nihilistic than the gangster rap of the past - you’ll often hear drill rappers dissing specific dead people (some famous music videos involve desecrating real graves, etc) and referring to themselves as demons, you’re encouraged from a young age to be heartless and completely savage, fans of the music aren’t interested if they don’t think you’re a real murderer. The never ending social media bravado and shit talking guarantees there will be no end, because if someone says your shoes are fake in an ig comment they or their cousins or whatever have to die.

by Anonymousreply 41July 9, 2024 11:49 AM

Sounds magical

by Anonymousreply 42July 9, 2024 2:15 PM

Sanese Ammo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 10, 2024 1:12 PM

The Convention will be awesome!

by Anonymousreply 44July 10, 2024 2:04 PM

[Quote] I love how so many people think the answer is more gun control, because we all know criminals respect the law

So you’re a law and order person, but … laws don’t work? You’re coming off another tough weekends, aren’t you Defacto?

Laws controlling guns work. In the UK gun use plummeted after the laws got sane. The assault gun laws worked as well — the huge spike in mass shooting with AR-15s began after Dumbya let the ban terminate.

by Anonymousreply 45July 10, 2024 2:19 PM

Thank god there were no shootings in Defacto’s Pittsburgh this weekend!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 10, 2024 2:21 PM

Thankful shootings are limited to black Chicago!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 10, 2024 2:22 PM

Chicago is out of control because liberals! Thank goodness Pittsburgh is a Mecca of security.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 10, 2024 2:23 PM

[Quote] But crime is going down!

[quote]—Idiot Americans

Do you understand how statistics work, Defacto?

by Anonymousreply 49July 10, 2024 2:34 PM

Murders are down in Chicago r1. Murders are down pretty much everywhere in America from the last couple years.

by Anonymousreply 50July 10, 2024 2:38 PM

But but but don’t you realize r50?????

I just posted a story about crime, so, CRIME MUST BE UP!!!

by Anonymousreply 51July 10, 2024 2:41 PM

[quote]Murders are down in Chicago [R1].

Murders are down but shootings are up.

I'm not sure Chicagoans can take heart in poor aim.

by Anonymousreply 52July 10, 2024 2:45 PM

Defacto is such a bore, such a broken record. His pals on Gab or rightwing twitter post the same shit over and over and he runs here and reposts it. We are cursed by having a dull troll posting the same nonsensical non-arguments over and over, then WWing them using his vpn.

by Anonymousreply 53July 10, 2024 3:35 PM

The Chicago issue is not about any one policy or political party. (That disappoints some of the hardcore right wingers here, but it isn't.)

There are entire huge swaths of the city where there is no industry, no jobs, no nothing. All the industrial/factory work that brought people to Chicago for decades disappeared. The people left behind (and their descendants) are killing each other in desperation. This has been happening for the better part of 50 years.

Unless industry or a way to make money returns OR those people all relocate to somewhere where there is a way to make money, the shooting and killings will continue. It doesn't matter how many hundreds of people hold hands on the street and pray, or how many times an official expresses frustration, until the residents of these communities can participate in the financial system without having to resort to selling drugs, sex or weapons, it will not change.

by Anonymousreply 54July 10, 2024 3:45 PM

Maybe we could get the court to approve personal mini nukes to keep us safe

by Anonymousreply 55July 10, 2024 3:48 PM

Stop talking sense r54 — this is a thread to make the gays

HATE LIBERALS

HATE BLACK PEOPLE

Your input is dangerous because it might result in lifting black oeople out of permanent poverty/othering they’ve been subjected to for 180 years (before which the law actually denied their humanity).

And we can’t have that!

by Anonymousreply 56July 10, 2024 4:09 PM

It ain't this Defacto person who some of you are obsessed with.

It's a rot in black American culture and it won't get better.

by Anonymousreply 57July 10, 2024 4:19 PM

[quote]Murders are down in Chicago

WTTW PBS NEWS April 4th, 2024:

"The number of homicides recorded in Chicago during March outpaced the same month last year, marking the first time in 2024 the city has seen an increase in its homicide rate."

"According to the Chicago Police Department, there were 46 homicides across the city last month, which marked a 28% increase over the same month in 2023. That total is also tied for the second most homicides recorded in any such month over the past decade."

"The number of shootings (159) and shooting victims (190) recorded last month were also up significantly over March 2023."

"March also saw the deadliest weekend of the year to date, when 7 people were killed over the Easter weekend, including two teens who were killed in separate mass shootings."

by Anonymousreply 58July 10, 2024 4:25 PM

Murders are down in Chicago!

Instead of 100 shooting this weekend there were only 99!

by Anonymousreply 59July 10, 2024 4:32 PM

[quote] Social media is fueling gang wars in places like Chicago and Jacksonville and taking it to levels of violence and chaos never seen before.

The LA Riots would like a word.

by Anonymousreply 60July 10, 2024 4:32 PM

[Quote] It's a rot in black American culture

Can’t imagine where that came from.

by Anonymousreply 61July 10, 2024 4:36 PM

Murders are down in Chicago!

CBS NEWS July 8, 2024:

"Chicago, which saw a spike in gun violence this year, had the most shootings and deaths over the 2024 holiday, with more than 100 shot and 19 killed since Wednesday, according to the Chicago Police Department."

"That was a 91% increase in shooting victims compared with last year."

A 91% increase.

by Anonymousreply 62July 10, 2024 4:45 PM

I've had it with Chicago, child. I'ma gonna go back to Tuckahoe and work for Maude. Chicago can kiss my big black ass.

by Anonymousreply 63July 10, 2024 4:51 PM

The rot in Black culture in Chicago that produced Michelle Obama, the late Andre Braugher, Jennifer Hudson and Lou Rawls?

by Anonymousreply 64July 10, 2024 4:52 PM

Thank you, Jim Jordan.

If there were interstate trafficking gun laws that restricted Indiana sales of guns to Chicago, Chicago might be able to get a handle on this, but White people in Indiana LOVE selling guns to Chicago niggers because they know they will be doing the job for white supremacists. Killing niggers.

by Anonymousreply 65July 10, 2024 4:55 PM

^^And a feral population that does nothing but cause chaos!

by Anonymousreply 66July 10, 2024 4:55 PM

Thanks for chiming in, Jim.

The only American feral populations are Native Americans.

Pity they didn't kill us on the beaches. Or in Mexico, or in South America.

White Supremacists are an invasive species to the New World.

by Anonymousreply 67July 10, 2024 4:59 PM

Ooh child! I'ma gonna sit down and have a cigarette with a white lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 10, 2024 5:03 PM

[quote]White Supremacists are an invasive species to the New World.

As you enjoy a standard of living in the New World that your ancestors could only dream of.

by Anonymousreply 69July 10, 2024 5:06 PM

I think that my ancestors could have enjoyed the standard of living in the hills of Serbia.

We had Tito.

by Anonymousreply 70July 10, 2024 5:11 PM

I think the DL attempts to comprehend the shootings are deeper than any analysis anyone in Chicago, including the mayor, is doing.

Now that the holiday and family BBQs are over, the carjackings, CTA muggings, killings in the Loop, burglaries and robberies can begin again. Back to work, everybody.

by Anonymousreply 71July 10, 2024 5:17 PM

R57 = Defuckto

by Anonymousreply 72July 10, 2024 7:52 PM

Just another weekend in Chimpcongo.

by Anonymousreply 73July 10, 2024 8:32 PM

The Mayor has a plan to stop violence.... in ten years. From Axios Chicao

After a deadly July Fourth weekend, Mayor Brandon Johnson is upping the city's efforts on violence intervention.

Why it matters: More than 100 people were shot and at least 19 were killed during the long holiday weekend.

Driving the news: Johnson says he's asked the federal government for resources, and he's launching a program that teaches conflict resolution and offers mentoring to young people.

On Wednesday, local business leaders and philanthropists announced they had raised $100 million to invest in violence intervention. A Johnson spokesperson tells Axios that the federal support the city is seeking includes "victim services, family assistance, mental health support for first responders and more."

What they're saying: "We have to invest in the root causes of violence ... because that's ultimately what it's going to take in order for us to build a better, stronger, safer city," Johnson said.

Zoom in: Cycle Breakers, announced Tuesday by Johnson and the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH), is an app/website that connects young people and caregivers to opportunities that could divert them from violence.

by Anonymousreply 74July 11, 2024 1:47 PM

The online resource breaks down activities based on interests, like music or science, and has a direct link to the 211 hotline, where caregivers can get help. Zoom out: The mayor has repeatedly pointed to the cycle of disinvestment and poverty as the root cause of violent crime in the city.

This week he specifically called out past mayoral policies that he says contributed to crime, including closing neighborhood schools, demolishing public housing and underfunding pensions. Flashback: Last month, the Mayor's Office of Community Safety and CDPH expanded the city's Emergency Supplemental Victims Fund (ESVF) to residents living in one of the 15 neighborhoods where violence is most rampant.

The Trace reported that the program has approved over 80% of all applications, compensating almost 200 applicants, since it launched last September. Between the lines: The violence is personal for Johnson, who lives in Austin, where 39 homicides have been recorded this year, according to the Sun-Times.

"Of course, we hear shots. I'll never forget a time when my children were much younger. There were shots right outside our front door, and I could hear my kids screaming in the other room. My wife and I, we hit the ground, we're crawling to our children's room and just hoping we're not the headline," Johnson said at a press conference this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 11, 2024 1:48 PM

Bring back settlement houses.

by Anonymousreply 76July 11, 2024 5:16 PM

Hiring more police would seem like a good start.

All I see are make-work jobs, grants that will be funneled to friends and donors and programs with no tangible way of measuring their effect on violence.

by Anonymousreply 77July 11, 2024 5:48 PM

Being pro gun control is being a white supremacist now? Just checking.

by Anonymousreply 78July 11, 2024 6:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!