Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is anyone else having a depressing summer?

I have been in a bad mood/slightly depressed all summer. Even a vacation to my favorite place didnt do any good. Anyone else feeling a little extra down right now?

by Anonymousreply 141August 7, 2024 2:29 AM

OP, I just came back from a week in Europe. I went solo, because I'm single. While I enjoyed Austria and Hungry, I feel sort of disconnected from everything. I guess that’s what happens when you are alone. The world is also politically very unstable so, on a macro-level it’s anxiety inducing. On a micro-level, my needs are all met minus love and affection.

Summer is a very social season, so latent issues can spring up in you. It’s the happiest time of year for many, but I’m not having a ball.

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2024 8:21 PM

100%

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2024 8:34 PM

The humidity is giving me brain fog. In this area if you don't everything outside done by June 10th, it's too late. And people have been popping fireworks at night for a solid week.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2024 8:37 PM

No but it's been humid and in the 90s for about a week and I'm getting tired of that. Bring on the low 80s.

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2024 8:38 PM

Sorry, OP, but I feel fine.

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2024 8:40 PM

I feel like shit today

by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2024 8:41 PM

I went outside. Scratched in the yard.

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2024 8:43 PM

All i ever do is clean house.

by Anonymousreply 8July 8, 2024 8:51 PM

This political situation and not having enough work have left me an anxious mess. I'm barely sleeping at night and barely functional during the day. I've been grim and sad most of this spring/summer. Oh, well.

by Anonymousreply 9July 8, 2024 8:53 PM

Thanks for your replies, guys. I’m trying to practice gratitude, go to the gym every day, eat semi healthy and just push thru, getting drudgery done and trying to focus outward by helping others. But I still feel like a grumpy old man lately

by Anonymousreply 10July 8, 2024 8:54 PM

YES. Grumpy and depressed, not really this way ever. It sucks. I think the election and general uncertainty are making me bummed out and anxious.

by Anonymousreply 11July 8, 2024 8:57 PM

Yes. I think I need to make some new friends. But it's very difficult at the age of 48.

by Anonymousreply 12July 8, 2024 8:57 PM

Same R11. I have always been happy, this summer is throwing me for a loop in terms of mood and overall sense of well-being. Hope you feel better soon!

by Anonymousreply 13July 8, 2024 9:02 PM

Yeah I just can't seem to get myself interested in anything. And trying to fake it is exhausting. I think I'm just an introvert who had to push himself for too many decades that I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2024 9:02 PM

We are under spiritual attack.

Soon, AI will take over and the US will fall under a dictatorship, with the other first world countries not far behind.

We are also rapidly killing the planet, and people with means (Musk, Bezos) are selfish tech bros with no interest in playing a positive role.

It's a grim time to be alive.

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2024 10:10 PM

I was fine until two weeks ago when I got covid pretty bad, I think for the first time. still no sense of smell, congestion in my ears so can't hear so great, was off the past week but was depressed, no energy or motivation to do anything, the heat doesn't help, stayed in mostly and slept a lot. I'm actually looking forward to going back to work. This is not what I planned or expected.

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2024 10:17 PM

Oh no, R16! I am sorry to hear. Better days ahead.

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2024 10:19 PM

You sound like a great person, R10.

I hope all the good seeds you’re planting come up and blossom for you.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2024 10:32 PM

Summertime sadness? A little bit here and there, but nothing like it's 2013 again.

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2024 10:47 PM

I've felt rather out of sorts too: global warming, Biden's public meltdown, SCOTUS's (continued) power grab and every where I go, that fat canned ham of face of Shitler is everywhere. I've tried to start meditating, letting go, all that - at one point does that serenity thing finally kick in? I feel as cross as ever.

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2024 11:01 PM

R20 a prescription from someone like you is to detox from too much news intake. Spend 24 hrs without clicking on any news story or watching any news on TV. Your mind and spirit needs it.

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2024 11:04 PM

Serenity now

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2024 11:26 PM

hi Debs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2024 11:43 PM

You shook my tits and you rattled my cunt

by Anonymousreply 24July 9, 2024 9:40 PM

Aren’t we all?

Except MAGA scum.

by Anonymousreply 25July 9, 2024 9:42 PM

I feel like I need to make preparations for an impending disaster. I have approximately three months of food and water saved now. I purchased a backup portable AC in case my 30-year-old Central gas furnace and air conditioning decides to give it up so at least one room can be cool. I put my cat carrier out just to have it ready, my cat now sleeps in it 18 hours a day. My gym workouts are now more focused on flexibility, strength, and endurance rather than esthetics. I'm not depressed, but have a feeling of foreboding darkness ahead.

by Anonymousreply 26July 9, 2024 11:13 PM

It has been too hot and humid and now the remnants of Beryl are heading to the northeast with humidity and downpours.

by Anonymousreply 27July 9, 2024 11:21 PM

turn off all social media and relax with a good flick. Forget about hurricane Beryl and enjoy Beryl Reid in Robert Aldrich's The Killing of Sister George

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 9, 2024 11:30 PM

Thanks r28, I'll take you up on that.

by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2024 3:00 AM

I have been cranky in general but no reason to be. I’m broke but that is par for the course for me. I’ve actually been more active and my physical health has actually improved, but July is always a horrible month for me. It’s dull and too damn hot.

by Anonymousreply 30July 10, 2024 3:02 AM

Do so R29 The film was Rated X (No one under 17 admitted) when it was released Probably due to the long scene between York and Coral Browne featured in the trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 10, 2024 3:50 AM

Yes, very depressed.

I found out my ex, from many years ago, died unexpectedly last week.

He died alone, likely from a drug overdose.

I regret that we didn’t get to catch up one last time. He meant a lot to me and I never told him.

On top of that the heat here has become oppressive, I worry about my aging dog, losing my mind, and I’ve gotten chubby (25 pounds overweight)

I can’t sleep anymore without drinking 2-3 Guinness stout, which doesn’t help the weight.

I miss my city, but it’s eroding with each death and business that closes, we’ve become strangers.

I miss my friends, my youth

And I’m fucking agoraphobic and can’t leave the house without having a massive panic attack.

I feel trapped.

by Anonymousreply 32July 10, 2024 4:14 AM

I’m a little anxious inside. No reasonable person could not be right now. But I’m plugging along.

by Anonymousreply 33July 10, 2024 4:19 AM

I’m sitting with my dying friend. I had to put my cat down last week. July has been extremely shitty so far.

by Anonymousreply 34July 10, 2024 5:08 AM

It's taken me over a week to recover from covid. Luckily I was off from work the past 5 days but all I did was sleep. It's made me depressed, lots of negative thoughts and ruminations. I really take care of myself and I'm surprised & disappointed how it has really knocked me on my ass for so long. I finally feel myself again today. Smell is coming back. Ears are congested, which is a huge annoyance. I'm actually looking forward to going to work today. I enjoy what I do and most of the people I work with.

by Anonymousreply 35July 10, 2024 10:18 AM

Oppressive heat always makes me depressed.

by Anonymousreply 36July 10, 2024 10:28 AM

[quote]I'm not depressed, but have a feeling of foreboding darkness ahead.

It's about how I feel. I also hurt my Achilles tendon and can't do my normal walking/running and spending more time reading the doom and gloom articles on Political Wire.

by Anonymousreply 37July 10, 2024 10:47 AM

This NYC heatwave is killing me. Really brutal.

by Anonymousreply 38July 10, 2024 11:02 AM

HANG ON, YOU GUYS. I need this place!

by Anonymousreply 39July 10, 2024 1:39 PM

No. I’m having hot sex with a 22 yr old and I feel great.

by Anonymousreply 40July 10, 2024 10:28 PM

Better than last summer. Relax and have an Arnold Palmer or a Pimm’s cup or something, OP.

by Anonymousreply 41July 10, 2024 11:38 PM

I've been crying a lot the last few days. So many sad circumstances. Life is just overwhelming me right now. And it's hard to find the strength to push ahead.

by Anonymousreply 42July 10, 2024 11:43 PM

Try

by Anonymousreply 43July 10, 2024 11:57 PM

Yes. Very much so.

I was sideswiped with Bacterial Pneumonia that led into a now two week sinus infection. A Z-pack and Augmentin regimen didn't accomplish much aside than shifting things from my lungs to my sinuses (blockage started within the first 24 hours of antibiotics).

I've also got epic work drama playing out and perpetual money issues, but no more than usual on the latter.

I also will openly disclose that I have suffered from MDD much of my life so I might be only capable of providing some seriously biased responses. But everything is bad, has been bad and is going to only get worse and never better ever again for the rest of time The planet. Our politics. Our everything.

by Anonymousreply 44July 11, 2024 12:20 AM

Oh god

by Anonymousreply 45July 11, 2024 12:21 AM

My ass is having a conniption fit!

by Anonymousreply 46July 11, 2024 12:25 AM

This thread needs some Stefon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 11, 2024 12:36 AM

YES. All this shit with Biden and the possibility of another Trump term is making me very, very depressed.

by Anonymousreply 48July 11, 2024 1:10 AM

A lot of us are in that same boat R48

by Anonymousreply 49July 11, 2024 5:09 AM

Sounds like this is on all our iPods...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 12, 2024 3:06 AM

Yes OP Richard Simmons; he just got Farrahed by Trump

by Anonymousreply 51July 14, 2024 5:28 AM

Yes. I gave up smoking weed a year ago and I'm thinking about starting back up again.

by Anonymousreply 52July 14, 2024 8:08 AM

90+ degree weather in the south here is no fun. Even at the beach, the heat was miserable. My outside activities are focused mostly on the early mornings and late afternoons.

by Anonymousreply 53July 14, 2024 9:04 AM

This is the worst summer of my life. I got covid for the first time, even after it was over I was exhausted, slept constantly, very negative almost psychotic thoughts. I lost my sense of smell, my hearing is very compromised. I went back to work and everyone called out sick (I know there are not), dealing with very sick, violent patients. Then had a terrible experience on the A train on my way to The Joyce, basically a black "man" threatening death and intimidating White and Asian passagers. I am buying pepper spray today and making plans to move to a more sane place.

by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2024 1:41 PM

I have Covid right now. Last month I woke up in excruciating pain with sciatica. First time for both. Worst summer ever.

Why do you put man in quotation marks R54?

by Anonymousreply 55July 15, 2024 2:05 PM

It's a cruel summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 15, 2024 2:08 PM

I strongly dislike summer and most of them have been depressing but I’m doing my best to enjoy all seasons and this one had been surprisingly good for me

by Anonymousreply 57July 15, 2024 2:20 PM

The thought that after November we will have to accept the fact that Trump will be leading our nation for at least 4 years, and his acolytes probably for the rest of our lifetimes: this has made this summer the worst I can recall. Most of my friends are equally gloomy so it's hard to celebrate the warm weather when your brain and everyone else's are having such cold thoughts

by Anonymousreply 58July 15, 2024 2:26 PM

Yes. The political news has been so bad that we've totally changed our viewing habits. We used to watch MSNBC almost nightly for at least two hours, often more. No longer. I've shut most of it off. Even the Trump news over the weekend. I didn't watch one newscast about it.

Several weeks ago, I saw my doctor who said I had a sinus infection and that I was dehydrated, causing my kidney function to be reduced. We went to visit my younger son and within an hour of arrival, I became violently ill. I vomited all night long, at least twice an hour. I kept bringing up mucus. I was so gross. Apparently, I had either food poisoning or a viral infection. I can't remember ever being that ill. I went to an urgent care place and they also found an arrythmia.

I'm also not speaking to my older son. We have plans to visit him in a couple of weeks but that is iffy right now. It seems we'll miss my granddaughter's birthday as it stands now.

On the plus side, I've lost weight. All that vomiting took its toll. When I was recovering, I ate very little. I didn't have much of an appetite which had everyone worried. Eating (and cooking) is one of my joys in life. My partner and my son were very concerned about my loss of appetite. I think it may have been a bit psychosomatic, due to all the vomiting. I found I was eating because it's delicious and not because I was hungry. So, I've vastly cut down on my food intake. I'm eating probably a third of what I was before and I've lost 19 lbs. I'm just about down to my normal overweight self and I fit into my clothes.

The news just snuck in that Cannon dismissed the documents case. Fuck

Back to normal programming

by Anonymousreply 59July 15, 2024 2:34 PM

Doing okay, but it took and takes a lot of fucking work, boundaries, and constant self-review. There's enough beauty and joy and appreciation and love in this existential nightmare of a world to be worth fighting fight for.

by Anonymousreply 60July 15, 2024 2:38 PM

Because a real man doesn't act like that or do that to other people, R55.

by Anonymousreply 61July 15, 2024 2:52 PM

I agree, R60. After this terrible experience on the A train (I have been harrassed and mugged before a few times) I had a very hard time focusing on the music and the extraordinary dancers from all over the world. I just feel many people think they can kill us for being White, Asian, Jewish, highly functional, intelligent people.

by Anonymousreply 62July 15, 2024 2:57 PM

^^ and the MSM is inciting them.

by Anonymousreply 63July 15, 2024 2:58 PM

I am fortunate that as a retiree, I have income to live comfortably. Some health issues, but managing them. I have a few close, dependable friends. I know I am lucky but feel increasingly down and out of sorts. So distraught at times over the large issues of the times. The rise of Trumpism and the willingness of media to enable him, the obvious inadequacy of our court system from the SC down, climate change, covid and its aftermath, the apparent rejection of democracy world wide, etc.

I vote, contribute to candidates I feel might affect things, donate to various causes, do a bit of volunteer work. None of it staves off the creeping feeling of things are getting wronger and wronger and nothing I do will matter.

by Anonymousreply 64July 15, 2024 3:09 PM

Just listen to Peggy and keep dancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 15, 2024 3:13 PM

It's too damn hot.

by Anonymousreply 66July 15, 2024 3:14 PM

Not me. It’s been a great summer. Greater than I had planned greater than I had prayed for—-Bless the Lord.

If this summer gets any better it’s going to be the best summer in USA history

USA USA USA

by Anonymousreply 67July 15, 2024 3:25 PM

Trump and all his shit overshadowing everything. We’re in for something so big and bad and the right is enjoying the easy ride to authoritarianism. Well you asked.

by Anonymousreply 68July 15, 2024 3:45 PM

Summer so depressing that not even trashing Ellen thread is helpful ,it was for a while till Saturdays failed event.

by Anonymousreply 69July 15, 2024 3:48 PM

The heat factor is no worse than average. But my work situation unexpectedly took a turn for the worse. I was feeling like the office pariah for a while. Still do, kind of.

by Anonymousreply 70July 15, 2024 4:14 PM

Thank you R17

by Anonymousreply 71July 15, 2024 4:16 PM

Well I am now...

by Anonymousreply 72July 15, 2024 8:12 PM

Suddenly, brutal summer 🥵

by Anonymousreply 73July 15, 2024 8:14 PM

It's Summertime& the living is easy!! Things that I can't control, I do not stress about them.

Finally, I got wise at the age of 63 yrs old!!

by Anonymousreply 74July 15, 2024 9:24 PM

Yep. I’m underemployed, drinking a little too much and haven’t been to the gym in weeks. That coupled with the nuclear heat and encroaching fascism and it’s safe to say I’m fucking miserable.

by Anonymousreply 75July 15, 2024 9:41 PM

The rich liberals are less worried about Trump. I’m not that and quite concerned.Disabled on fixed income. With ‘’Shitler’’ at the helm this will probably be my last summer.

by Anonymousreply 76July 16, 2024 12:41 AM

R506 - That sounds like a delicious variation. Hell, mine was a variation but still sticks to cannoli basics, as does yours. As for your second variation, I don't think it would work as an icebox cake because by definition, you're baking something. However, I think it would work if you made it as a Paris-Brest variation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 16, 2024 4:25 PM

I’m having a terrific summer! Sucks to be you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 78July 16, 2024 6:50 PM

Some rich fags can live with Trump tearing up the constitution.

by Anonymousreply 79July 16, 2024 11:12 PM

OP, where did you go to on vacation?

by Anonymousreply 80July 16, 2024 11:13 PM

I quit weed in April still dealing with the depression/anxiety which absolutely killed my libido, and this has made socializing in the gay community a no-go. I'm also left with the realization that I am in the midst of a major midlife crisis that will take a lot of work to crawl out of. Essentially I am a cliche and a man child with no sex drive and now it's time to grow up. So this has been a dog day summer indeed.

by Anonymousreply 81July 16, 2024 11:24 PM

Of course it's depressing. Trump is going to destroy what's left of the US.

It's like were all in stage four cancer.

by Anonymousreply 82July 16, 2024 11:37 PM

OP, thanks for sharing. I’m having a really difficult summer. Work stress and super heavy family stress has left me feeling like I’m wearing an invisible lead apron every day. It’s wreaking havoc on my mood and spirits. I’m wired to be a positive, happy person but shit is rather brutal lately. Reading this thread makes me realize we’re all fighting our secret battles. Hang tough, everyone.

by Anonymousreply 83July 16, 2024 11:54 PM

I quit my 25+ year job in April after management made it clear it wasn’t going to fix a very toxic situation. Final nail in the coffin, I guess.

I bopped around for two months…traveled, spent time with friends and family, and kind of felt like me again.

Then I accepted a job at a city agency that’s a mess and I’m all out of sorts again. Yeah, the politics thing has me on edge too.

I started volunteering on weekends and do some extra stuff on social media. I think it helps.

I saw a meme going around that said it feels like all of us are working for a company about to have layoffs.

by Anonymousreply 84July 16, 2024 11:54 PM

R84, that is awesome you are volunteering. That is very cool that you’re turning outward and helping others.

R83, I am sorry you are having work and family stress this summer. I love the description of an invisible lead apron, we have been there. I hope it resolves soon.

R81, you can do it if you put your mind to it. I believe in you.

by Anonymousreply 85July 17, 2024 1:58 AM

Like R82 it feels like a terminal disease slowly sweeping the country.All we have is our vote as we try to keep the Trump-cancer from getting too close.

by Anonymousreply 86July 17, 2024 8:24 PM

Family of grifters on verge of return to power-forever. That’s depressing.

by Anonymousreply 87July 17, 2024 8:34 PM

I'm already resigned to a Trump victory. I'm depressed about it but it's beyond my control. My partner has a business so we're kind of trapped here.

by Anonymousreply 88July 17, 2024 9:49 PM

I’m glad I’m not the only one concerned and depressed over political situation but it’s no less worrisome After Russians in the Oval Office 2017 I knew it was a matter of time.

by Anonymousreply 89July 17, 2024 10:44 PM

Seek help R89 Your syntax is awful!

by Anonymousreply 90July 18, 2024 5:22 AM

Some background music for this thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 20, 2024 8:36 AM

Half the country is having a great summer.

by Anonymousreply 92July 20, 2024 11:31 AM

OP Joy Behar She's been miserable for 10 years: before, during and after Trump's presidency.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 21, 2024 5:41 PM

Why is everyone having a "depressing summer". It's Summertime, and the living is easy!!

Next week, wedding on Lake Michigan, all my kids are flying in for the wedding.

by Anonymousreply 94July 21, 2024 6:43 PM

R93, I've called her Unjoy Behar for years.

by Anonymousreply 95July 21, 2024 7:12 PM

My summer just got better

by Anonymousreply 96July 21, 2024 7:14 PM

Not no more. I'm with her.

by Anonymousreply 97July 21, 2024 8:06 PM

Joyless Behar R95

by Anonymousreply 98July 21, 2024 8:12 PM

[quote]OP: Even a vacation to my favorite place didnt do any good.

Rikers?

by Anonymousreply 99July 21, 2024 8:15 PM

I feel a bit more hopeful now Biden won’t run. Still much to do but hopeful.

by Anonymousreply 100July 21, 2024 8:28 PM

My younger friend stopped by and helped me finish two bottles of Sofia Coppola Brut Rose and nine coconut shrimp this afternoon. She’s jobless (and not someone used to being out of work: 25 years in marketing for VC, John Hancock, Paramount, etc.) and if anyone should be depressed, it’s her and she’s not. She has a cushion for the rest of the year, but the next month or two is not when people are hiring. If anyone should be depressed, it’s her. She’s looking at 50, alone, twice divorced, and enjoying the summer.

I am too, but I’m retired. I would not want to be her right now much less looking for work but outwardly, anyway, she sounded pretty upbeat.

by Anonymousreply 101July 21, 2024 10:21 PM

Yes OP. Not horrible depression but feeling anxious and a bit hopeless. I hate the heat and I just feel old.

Grateful for my health but definitely a weird summer.

by Anonymousreply 102July 21, 2024 10:34 PM

I suddenly feel much better.

by Anonymousreply 103July 21, 2024 10:36 PM

Not depressed but tons of ambient anxiety, mostly due to my aging parents and their drastically devolving health situations.

by Anonymousreply 104July 21, 2024 10:37 PM

Now I am.

by Anonymousreply 105July 21, 2024 11:57 PM

I'm very concerned with the recent turn of events. I feel the presidential election is now going to be like a wrestling match playing into our political divisions. To be honest I'm going to support Ms Harris however I do not feel she is the best person for the job she is just the best alternative to Armageddon

by Anonymousreply 106July 22, 2024 1:06 AM

I know I am, OP.

by Anonymousreply 107July 22, 2024 5:11 AM

R32 Another agoraphobic here . My work is all remote — the little I have. Finalizing divorce and will have to move. Crap everywhere . Borderline hoarder — but not trash.

All I want to do is sleep. Forced myself to go outside today and walk a half a block . Have terrible heartburn but ordered Tums on Amazon rather then sling my lazy ass in car and buy some.

I have history of depression but this is extra large bucket full

by Anonymousreply 108July 22, 2024 5:52 AM

[quote] I know I am, OP.—Joe Biden

Don't worry old Joe. You'll forget all about it when summer's over.

by Anonymousreply 109July 22, 2024 5:17 PM

The news cycle is depressing as hell.

I'm pale as a ghost. Working too hard and not getting any sunshine.

Summer just accentuates how much time I'm losing to things that give me no joy. Juxtaposed against the sunny weather, it a constant reminder at this time of year.

Summer depression is a real thing.

by Anonymousreply 110July 22, 2024 5:27 PM

I was having a great summer. But no I then had to go and open this thread. Now I am looking for my 45.

by Anonymousreply 111July 22, 2024 7:43 PM

You need to find a happy thing to look forward to and fixate on it. Do you have your tickets for Sutton in Mattress yet? Audra in Gypsy?

Idina, Kristin, Jennifer Simard and Megan Hilty are all returning to Broadway this season as well. This is reason to celebrate. Not to mention Patti and Mia in The Roommate.

How could anyone be depressed with this bounty of good news?

by Anonymousreply 112July 22, 2024 8:11 PM

R112 youre sweet and awesome. I love your attitude

by Anonymousreply 113July 22, 2024 8:50 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to check in. It’s me, OP, hoping you all are doing ok. Dont get too depressed please. This thread’s intent was a “semi-misery loves company” seeking comfort from others having a similar experience, it was not intended to make anyone feel worse than they do.

Every day I try to do some good deeds and help others and truly it does help make me feel better to help others. Just wanted to send you all a good wish and hope youre doing all right. Better days ahead.

by Anonymousreply 114July 22, 2024 8:53 PM

R114 OP Are you Catholic? You are Saint like in the work you will do to make everyone else feel better.

by Anonymousreply 115July 23, 2024 12:31 PM

“A sweltering boilfest” - The Sun ☀️ Times

by Anonymousreply 116July 23, 2024 6:27 PM

Sorry, OP--I had a depressing summer last year and it was awful.

But this summer has been great for me. I hope like for me things pick up for you.

by Anonymousreply 117July 23, 2024 6:29 PM

I'm having a pretty good Summer. Eight years ago, I lost my Mom in July of 2016. That started a domino effect as I then lost my brother in March and one of my sisters in May, about 9 weeks later. I try to be positive and look at the present as a gift. I'm now older than my sister was when she died and I'm the youngest.

Stop watching the news and find somethng to make you laugh or at least, amuse you. My new favorite distration is watching Customer Wars, Road Wars, and Neighborhood Wars on A&E. They are no so much arts as they are entertainment these days, but it's better than watching the news on an endless loop.

by Anonymousreply 118July 23, 2024 7:27 PM

My Apt is replacing the roof. In the middle of July in the hottest year on record. Our AC has been off for 3 days. They’re plugging up our fireplaces too.

by Anonymousreply 119July 24, 2024 7:32 PM

You don't need to use your fireplace in July.

by Anonymousreply 120July 24, 2024 8:26 PM

July has been 3 months long

by Anonymousreply 121July 26, 2024 7:13 PM

Something about August has always depressed me.

I hope you fellow summer depression sufferers are doing okay!

by Anonymousreply 122August 6, 2024 10:54 AM

Same R122. And it’s been worse this summer with the endless oppressive humidity and rain.

by Anonymousreply 123August 6, 2024 11:02 AM

Go to the beach! You can’t be unhappy at the beach.

by Anonymousreply 124August 6, 2024 11:18 AM

R124 This is true

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 6, 2024 1:23 PM

Not necessarily, R125

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 6, 2024 1:37 PM

My partner has just left me after a dozen year relationship.

I am gutted. Nothing to do with summer. But somehow it always seems like bad things happen in the summer.

I am beyond depressed. Can't get out of bed. Datalounge is my only source of communication with the world right now.

I don't know if I will make it.

by Anonymousreply 127August 6, 2024 2:35 PM

r127 you will survive. I know that is cliched, but you will survive.

I am in a similar situation, although nothing as serious as yours. A good friend of mine (there were sexual overtones, although we never acted on them) abruptly cut me off in May. No explanation, other than "I'm not feeling social anymore, and I fear it is permanent. Rest assured, it's nothing to do with you." We live in separate cities, and some part of me thinks he was diagnosed with a serious illness that he didn't want to disclose. Then a couple of weeks ago, out of the blue, he sent a message as if nothing had happened. It included a question, so I responded, and he still hasn't gotten back to me yet. This was after years of daily or near daily communication with him. NEVER a week went by without communicating. He meant a lot to me.

Earlier in the summer, I was starting to get over him, and then he had to go and give me a little bit of hope. Sigh. I'm right back where I started.

I'm far from over it and devastated.

by Anonymousreply 128August 6, 2024 2:44 PM

R128- I think you should block this friend. He’s going to continue to dip in and dip out and throw you in a feelings salad spinner each and every time. You deserve better. I know it’ll be hard because you’ll feel like you’re permanently shutting a door, but I suspect it will ultimately save you years of mind games. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 129August 6, 2024 9:16 PM

More apprehensive. Intense heat, construction, wildfire threat, election worries….

by Anonymousreply 130August 6, 2024 10:17 PM

Thanks, r129. I sense as much, and I am going to be the one who needs to close the door. He'll never close it all the way and will keep coming back.

by Anonymousreply 131August 6, 2024 10:46 PM

R128 I am seeing this.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 7, 2024 12:01 AM

No OP, I love summer and it always goes by too fast.

by Anonymousreply 133August 7, 2024 12:17 AM

I got fired from a job where I’d worked for 27 years so, yeah.

by Anonymousreply 134August 7, 2024 12:18 AM

R134 Sorry to hear that. It's tough. Same situation here, but 18 years. I was hoping to make it another 2 years to retire at age 67 plus so I can collect full SS. It's difficult to find a comparable job at my age.

by Anonymousreply 135August 7, 2024 12:31 AM

Let’s see … my dad died in June and I feel like I lost my anchor. I had to cancel vacation. My boyfriend of almost 20 years stuck around for the funeral but then went on the trip. We’re kind of on a break right now. My a/c broke during the summer-long heatwave and it took two weeks to get fixed. I had a horrible case of Covid that turned into a raging sinus infection so have been sick over three weeks. And my cat died of cancer last week.

I can’t wait for this summer to be over.

by Anonymousreply 136August 7, 2024 1:09 AM

Wow, it can only get better. Hang on, be very positive, and also let the DL help you heal

by Anonymousreply 137August 7, 2024 1:22 AM

I don’t feel depressed (due to medication), but I’m very isolated. I’m on holidays until September and my summer so far has me only interacting with my parents and 2 brothers. I do stuff like daily longs walks and have been out of town for the day twice by myself, but my friendship circle is very limited. I’m 59. It’s been like this for years. I’m very introverted. I know this isn’t healthy.

by Anonymousreply 138August 7, 2024 1:33 AM

To R136...WOW!! Everything but the HOUNDS OF HELL nipping at your heels.

by Anonymousreply 139August 7, 2024 2:04 AM

I've been depressed since my spouse died five years ago next month. I enjoy things but I'll never be truly happy again. Aren't you glad you asked, OP?

by Anonymousreply 140August 7, 2024 2:21 AM

When I'm feeling exceptionally down, I remember the things about him that annoyed me to no end. That takes the edge off the sadness somewhat. It works for me.

by Anonymousreply 141August 7, 2024 2:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!