Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dangerous Liaisons

After years of thinking Keanu Reeves was the weakest link I wonder if it isn't John Malkovich. His contemptuous deadpan works perfectly with his conversations with Glenn Close, but he is strangely unconvincing as a person able to win Michele Pfeiffer's heart.

Alan Rickman played the role for the London stage version and I wonder if he might have suited the film better overall.

Who would you have cast...or does Malkovich work for you in the overall context of the film?

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2024 2:54 PM

I think it’s pretty damn obvious who the weakest link was. Hell, Stevie Wonder could even see who it was.

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2024 5:41 AM

I had to ask.

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2024 5:42 AM

I saw Hugo Weaving in the play in Australia, some years before Priscilla made his name internationally. It was one of the most brilliant of many brilliant performances he's given. He wove his way around the other characters like a snake. He was attractive and sinister at the same time. You could imagine that young Cecile really would be thrilled by him. Always my idea of the perfect Valmont.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2024 6:02 AM

John Malkovich has always been one of these straight guys that women always seem to find sexy, but not gay men. I always thought him creepy and unattractive. But he was perfect in Places in the Heart and as the psycho in that Clint Eastwood movie.

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2024 6:45 AM

[quote]but he is strangely unconvincing as a person able to win Michele Pfeiffer's heart.

And yet he did because they apparently had an affair while filming.

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2024 7:00 AM

Great movie, reminds me of the markle situation, but smarkle id too dense to realize she has become a pariah.

by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2024 1:53 PM

Love the film and Malkovich was great but agree that he could have been played be someone more handsome and duplicitous.

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2024 2:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!