Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What ? I should be making $100,500 per year with my BA ?

I was just watching Katie Phang (subbing for Capehart) on MSNBC. She did a segment about this Tuesday being 'Black Women's Pay Recognition' (or something of the sort) and presented a chart of what Black Women make compared to White / Non-Hispanic Men. The information came from the NWLC (National Women's Law Center).

According to her resource, black women make 66 cents to every dollar a white male earns. According to her resource, a white male with only a BA degree (that would be me) is making $100,500 annually, on average. This does not include bonuses or overtime - just straight pay. Black women are earning $66,330 on average with a BA degree. Seriously ?

Say what ? I'm earning $38,800 a year. That's a step up for me, who was making $36,200 at my last job when I left after 10 years of service. She's saying (along with a woman from NWLC) that I should be making $100,500 ? My black male friend has a BA and he's making $46,000 per year in a job very similar to mine (different employer).

I live / work in Rhode Island, which has a very competitive job marketplace. I don't even know my white male friends with Master's Degrees who are earning $100, 500 'on average'. The highest I have heard (from many sources) is $82,000 - the highest of my white male friends and relatives, not 'an average'. Most of my white male friends with Master's degrees are making between $52- $60,000.

Please, NWLC - can you find me one of those $100, 500 jobs with my BA degree ? I'll even take a job paying $66,330 with a BA.

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2024 11:17 PM

Sorry - here is a link to their website. Forgot to include it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 7, 2024 11:44 PM

[quote] According to her resource, black women make 66 cents to every dollar a white male earns.

Which is why most companies these days hire women, particularly black women, every chance they get.

If you are a man over 30-35 and not in a tech field, you could literally set yourself on fire and still no employer will hire you.....you are perceived to be too old and too expensive.

by Anonymousreply 2July 7, 2024 11:52 PM

OP, you could be making a lot more money. BA or no BA.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2024 12:31 AM

"with a BA" would depend on the field/industry and the years of experience, and the location, and other factors - so that's a very broad qualifier. Though I wouldn't doubt that Black women probably do make ON AVERAGE less even within the same field and with the same experience - at least in many fields.

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2024 12:38 AM

What on earth do you do for that pittance?

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2024 12:41 AM

Maybe you’d make that much with a Masters but that salary for a BA sounds right. Everyone has one.

by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2024 12:42 AM

R5 Admin Assistant in a Psych Hospital. I work with white males who have their MSWs making less than $60K. Again, I don't know anyone with a BA or Master's making anywhere near $100, 500.

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2024 1:50 AM

I have a JD and you earn more than me, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8July 8, 2024 2:00 AM

R8 So where can we find those $100,000+ jobs ?

I'm surprised Katie Phang went along with this - didn't question this at all.

by Anonymousreply 9July 8, 2024 2:14 AM

I make close to that with my BA. Did you go to school to become an administrative assistant?

by Anonymousreply 10July 8, 2024 4:05 AM

I think it depends on where you live. In my area, the cost of living is high and the relative pay is LOW.

by Anonymousreply 11July 8, 2024 4:25 AM

Look at the source of this data in the article. It's based on broad averages across the United States. It doesn't distinguish between BA's and BS's either.

Men have a higher percent of college degrees in business, tech, and science. Those pay more - a LOT more.

By averaging all bachelor degrees together, it takes out these major differences. Plus it's looking at the entire population - white men most definitely had an advantage for men 50-55 and over in hiring and other practices.

It's twisting data to serve your cause. And anyone can see it - which erodes trust in their cause.

by Anonymousreply 12July 8, 2024 4:27 AM

Colleges lie all the time about what their graduates make.

by Anonymousreply 13July 8, 2024 5:02 AM

Tech Bros in places like San Francisco make that kind of money but that's because the cost of living there is so high. Same with NYC. But that's not most of America. I don't know anyone in LA that makes that kind of money except for a couple friends who's a stock broker, a Realtor, and believe it or not a police helicopter pilot and a fireman.

by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2024 6:18 AM

[quote]So where can we find those $100,000+ jobs ?

I make over a 100K and have a MBA, but that doesn't add anything to my salary. Staying with the same company for a long time, I'm paid less than what the market rate would be for a similarly experienced person hired off the street. Who in their right mind would stay at a job paying on $38k a year? That's practically slave labor.

I'm not a Project Manager, but that's one role I know pays well and would be an example of a job that would pay over $100k to someone with a BA. Glassdoor indicates a range of $103K - $182K/yr and a median of $135K/yr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2024 6:20 AM

Zip Recruiter says the average for a BA in Calif is 53,000. This seems more accurate,

People like Katie Fang make so much more as a lawyer and then a TV host with those skills that she's a little out of touch or she's just trying to make a point with cherry picked data. Which is kind of what lawyers do all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2024 6:24 AM

I also know several people with minimal degrees both men and women making 150,000 or more in finical services. Like in a brokerage firm. But in those cases, it's not really about a degree, it's similar to Real estate, it's all about rich clients and the percentage of their investments with the firm. A lot of that is just schmoozing the clients. So on paper, it might say they have a BA but it's really irrelevant to why they make that kind of money.

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2024 6:32 AM

OP, I suppose you are one of the few DLers without a retirement nest egg in the mid seven figures, owning 2 homes, one with room for a pony, and one rental property.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2024 10:44 AM

R10 I got my degree in marketing and communications. However, to fill a job in that department where I work (and other companies) I need at least a Master's Degree. And the positions pay a bit more than half of the $100, 500 I should be getting with a BA.

Again, for those who are making over $100,000 with a BA or BS - I salute you. It's not an 'average' by any means.

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2024 11:47 AM

Of course it is average and even low to a certain class, hun. And in certain cities of the world. It would be very high for Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2024 11:52 AM

I make close to 100 grand which is considered "low income" in Los Angeles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2024 8:34 PM

yeah, it's a bullshit statistic for most of the country. Yes, in the huge major cities that may be typical, but it's simply not real for most everyone else. I suspect you're much more typical of the average American OP, but I'm too lazy to go delving into some tedious statistics.

And yes, a LOT of this is centered around a few industries, especially our very bloated financial sector, but again, that's simply unreal for most people and most industries.

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2024 8:39 PM

I only get 120k a year from my trust fund. I feel your pain.

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2024 8:44 PM

[quote]I make close to 100 grand which is considered "low income" in Los Angeles.

You are being over paid you numbnut. That very article you posted puts 100K per HOUSEHOLD. That's usually considered 2 income sources. 100K in LA is a very nice income level if it's just for one person.

by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2024 10:11 PM

[quote]Who in their right mind would stay at a job paying on $38k a year?

Not everyone has an MBA and works in finance. Industrialist like that WILDLY over pay. That's what their job is all focused on, making money. Not building houses, making product, or creating anything that his world actually needs. I get it, they want to jack each other off with who makes the most money, and so the industry works that way. But that's not how the rest of the job market works. Most people are lucky if the get a cost of living increase. Most do not have access to monthly bonuses, percentage of what the client is paying. That kind of money is unique to only a hand full of job fields.

by Anonymousreply 25July 8, 2024 10:19 PM

R25, that’s what you tell yourself so you won’t feel bad about making a bad career choice?

by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2024 10:25 PM

OP, compensation will vary by industry. I work with someone with no college education who makes @$160k. She started out of high school and worked her way up to legal secretary.

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2024 10:29 PM

I had two jobs at the same time (over employment) both around $108K. BS only.

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2024 10:29 PM

R26 is so Typical MBA Bro. The world revolves around your experience, not around the sun. You really except everyone who goes to college to be in financial services or else they made bad choices?

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2024 10:33 PM

What were those jobs R28? Finance? Real estate? Oil or Medical?

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2024 10:35 PM

[quote] You really except everyone who goes to college to be in financial services or else they made bad choices?

Did you make a bad choice?

by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2024 10:38 PM

[quote] You are being over paid you numbnut. That very article you posted puts 100K per HOUSEHOLD. That's usually considered 2 income sources. 100K in LA is a very nice income level if it's just for one person.

$100k is about $65k take home pay. It is not enough. The cost of living in LA is out of control. Housing, gas prices, taxes, food -- everything is crazy.

by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2024 10:47 PM

Can you answer a question without a question? r31

by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2024 10:48 PM

If you cant live off 100K gross in LA you have problems. 65K is more than enough to live a normal middle class life. Not a luxury lifestyle, but your claim that you live under the poverty line at 100k a years is ridiculously false.

Let me guess, you are basing this on living in the most expensive parts of LA like WeHo, Santa Monica, Hollywood or Beverly Hills. That's not most of LA. It's a very small section of mostly upper class neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 34July 8, 2024 10:53 PM

[quote] OP, compensation will vary by industry. I work with someone with no college education who makes @$160k. She started out of high school and worked her way up to legal secretary.

Was she making $160K on 40 hours a week, or was she putting in a ton of overtime each week like many of the legal secretaries I know ? (One of my friends had to go into the office and work on July 4, just to catch up at double-time. She also works at least 4 hours every Saturday from home at time-and-a-half to keep up - she's making about $130K a year with all the overtime).

by Anonymousreply 35July 8, 2024 11:14 PM

No, r34, I live in Burbank. I pay $2300 for a one bedroom apartment. Next year it will be $2500.

I wouldn't describe myself as well off or low income. I'm getting by. I don't have a car payment but my car is over 10 years old. I make about $94,000. I do have medical and dental bills though. No credit card debt.

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2024 11:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!