Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charles Dance

He first came to public attention as the decent but dashing Sergeant Guy Perron in television's The Jewel in the Crown. After that on film he played the dastardly Lord Errol in White Mischief, the clueless Lord Stockbridge in Gosford Park, and the stoic Lord Kitchener in The King's Man. Back on television he was the suave but misguided scientist Edward Forester who fathered in more ways than one a child that was half gorilla-half man, the cruel Tywin Lannister in Game of Thrones, and most recently Lord Louis Mountbatten in The Crown.

With a name like a cavalier and a face like a noble Roman, it is not surprising he became known as "the thinking woman's crumpet."

Let's discuss the great British character actor Charles Dance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 9, 2024 5:30 AM

He was also sexy as hell as Julian Glover's German henchman in For Your Eyes Only opposite Roger Moore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 7, 2024 10:24 PM

He IS Charles Dance!

by Anonymousreply 2July 7, 2024 10:26 PM

[quote] The Jewel in the Crown

Also starring Eric Porter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 7, 2024 10:28 PM

R3 and Peggy Ashcroft

by Anonymousreply 4July 7, 2024 10:33 PM

I think the first time I consciously saw him was in The Golden Child. I rewatched it a couple of weeks ago and it held up quite well. He's a wonderful villain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 7, 2024 10:39 PM

Puke.

by Anonymousreply 6July 7, 2024 10:50 PM

Loved him in White Mischief.

by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2024 10:53 PM

I always felt he should've played Magneto in the X-Men movies than Ian McKellen.

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2024 10:55 PM

A tremendous talent and a delight to work with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2024 10:57 PM

He is really tall, like 6'4 or 6'5

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2024 11:05 PM

Wasn't he in that B.A.P.S. movie that Halli Berry starred in?

by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2024 11:13 PM

I truly would listen to this man read a phone book. Fabulous voice, wonderful presence. Love him.

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2024 11:16 PM

Hot as pies.

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2024 11:18 PM

[quote]Puke.

Ditto.

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2024 11:43 PM

I was just going to bring up Tracey Ullman and Meryl Streep. That’s the consensus on who the person is who the two of them couldn’t stand working with. Tracey is a sweetheart and cuts people a lot of slack. If she says he was a nightmare, he was a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 15July 7, 2024 11:46 PM

When he talks ruefully about cheating on his ex-wife it sounds very practiced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2024 11:50 PM

The first time I really noticed him was in Alien3. Great presence and calm intensity, great voice.

Chomped by an alien, shot by a crossbow wielding dwarf on the toilet, he has some creative deaths under his belt

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2024 12:03 AM

R15 When did they both say he was terrible to work with? I always heard/thought he was a professional, like most British men of his pedigree and how he carries himself.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2024 12:12 AM

He seems to die in a lot of projects. Must have a Sean Bean thing going.

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2024 12:17 AM

Good choices

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2024 12:17 AM

He was great as Justice Wargrave in And Then There Were None (2016).

The rest of the cast list included Maeve Dermody, Aidan Turner, Burn Gorman, Toby Stephens, Miranda Richardson, Noah Taylor, Douglas Booth, Anna Maxwell Martin, and Sam Neill as General McArthur

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2024 12:20 AM

Does anyone else love Desert Island Discs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2024 12:29 AM

I was going to ask what his body was like, but not now…

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2024 12:31 AM

Great body even today, but especially when he was younger. He's really gorgeous in "White Mischief."

I think he's from a working-class background, which is surprising given how often he's been typecast as an aristocrat.

by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2024 12:33 AM

Didn’t Meryl hate him on “Plenty”? I recall the only thing he said was “we got along when our characters got along.”

by Anonymousreply 25July 8, 2024 12:38 AM

He jumped off the screen for me in Alien 3, too, R17. I’m sorry to hear he’s been considered a jerk.

I love one exchange he has with his wife as they’re going down to dinner in Gosford Park.

Wife: “It’ll be a relief to me to talk to someone who isn’t deaf in one ear.”

Him: “Excuse me?”

by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2024 12:44 AM

I loved him in Game of Thrones. I forgot he was in Alien 3.

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2024 12:49 AM

He should have been cast as Prince Philip in the last two seasons of The Crown.

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2024 12:49 AM

He directed Judi and Maggie in Ladies in Lavender.

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2024 12:56 AM

They should have saved him to play Philip in the last two seasons of The Crown, instead of casting him as Mountbatten.

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2024 1:02 AM

He would have been great as both

by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2024 1:05 AM

I can't believe he played Stan in Childhood's End

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2024 4:16 AM

*Satan

Sorry, I posted before finishing my thought. That show felt like a fever dream, but in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2024 4:17 AM

Guy Perron was a great Bond audition.

Bond needs to carry himself credibly in a white suit snarking at an arms dealer as he is in a fist fight with a hired thug.

Dance's performance as Perron was charismatic, likeable and debonair, with an pragmatic edge underneath.

I especially liked his sarcasm at Merrick being consistently promoted.

That cynicism was pure Bond.

He was also very good looking. He and Greta Scacchi were one of the sexiest on-screen couples of the '80s. No way they weren't fucking during "White Mischief".

by Anonymousreply 34July 8, 2024 6:43 AM

They made a Childhood's End adaptation? Is it any good?

by Anonymousreply 35July 8, 2024 6:46 AM

Oh Meryl did not like him? Who fucking cares. Charles is touchable.

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2024 7:08 AM

He looks like one of the aristocracy.

by Anonymousreply 37July 8, 2024 9:31 AM

Criminy! Is DL crawling with pedos?

by Anonymousreply 38July 8, 2024 9:51 AM

I loved him in Last Action Hero. He was the only saving grace in that one.

by Anonymousreply 39July 8, 2024 9:59 AM

[quote] I’m sorry to hear he’s been considered a jerk.

He's a typical luvvy.

An open letter by over 2,000 celebrities criticised Israel but failed to condemn Hamas

The letter, signed by celebrities such as Steve Coogan, Tilda Swinton and Charles Dance, accuses the Government of “not only tolerating war crimes but aiding and abetting them”.

In particular the letter condemns Israel’s actions in retaliation against terrorist group Hamas, opening with: “We are witnessing a crime and a catastrophe. Israel has reduced much of Gaza to rubble, and cut off the supply of water, power, food and medicine to 2.3 million Palestinians.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 8, 2024 11:20 AM

He was also The Phantom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 8, 2024 12:48 PM

Arrogant ass.

Sexy af.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 8, 2024 1:38 PM

Meryl expected to have an on-set affair with him and he demurred. That is why she found him “difficult”

by Anonymousreply 43July 8, 2024 1:52 PM

Bullshit, R43. It was Tracey Ullman who made a thinly veiled reference to him at Meryl’s AFI Tribute. Meryl’s never commented on him as a professional or otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 8, 2024 2:32 PM

Starting with Guy Perron….was not interested in Game of Thrones until I heard he and Diana Rigg were in it. The pros showing the pretty people how it’s done.

by Anonymousreply 45July 8, 2024 5:49 PM

He reminds me of Ryan Corr, just a little.

by Anonymousreply 46July 8, 2024 6:26 PM

You're right R44. It might be impossible, however, to say she "never" commented on him. She let her mask slip a bit when she laughed and nodded vigorously when TU talks about how there's always that one actor on every set who no one likes.

by Anonymousreply 47July 8, 2024 6:32 PM

Why does Meryl have to fuck all of her leading men?

by Anonymousreply 48July 8, 2024 6:36 PM

De Niro, Grant, Nicholson, Irons, Redford (?), Brandauer, Kline, Quaid, Eastwood, Brosnan, Russell, Scheider, Begley, Bacon, DiCaprio, Neeson, Firth, Skarsgård, Hurt, Cooper, Pacino/Kirk/Wilson, Hanks, Washington, Tucci, Cruise, Chalamet, McGregor, Garcia. I mean, not exactly starving for choice.

by Anonymousreply 49July 8, 2024 6:56 PM

[quote] De Niro, Grant, Nicholson, Irons, Redford (?), Brandauer, Kline, Quaid, Eastwood, Brosnan, Russell, Scheider, Begley, Bacon, DiCaprio, Neeson, Firth, Skarsgård, Hurt, Cooper, Pacino/Kirk/Wilson, Hanks, Washington, Tucci, Cruise, Chalamet, McGregor, Garcia.

Meryl's an amateur.

by Anonymousreply 50July 8, 2024 7:03 PM

Joan was fucking Ty and much younger Ty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 8, 2024 7:17 PM

[quote]He directed Judi and Maggie in Ladies in Lavender.

There was a story on Popbitch that he was fucking Judi around that time. She would have been in her mid 60s and her husband Michael Williams had died recently.

Not long after that he dated Sophia Myles when she was in her early 20s and he was mid 50s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 8, 2024 7:27 PM

He was beautiful in "The Jewel in the Crown."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 8, 2024 7:28 PM

He was excellent as the lawyer Tulkinghorn in the BBC's adaptation of Bleak House, orchestrating Honoria Dedlock's downfall.

And he got to bang Ripley (one of the most bangin' heroines in film history) in Alien 3.

by Anonymousreply 54July 8, 2024 7:33 PM

He had a small role in late 90s Brit rom com What Rats Won't Do, from the writer of Stop! My Mom Will Shoot! and Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde.

Dance appears in his underwear at 1.34 and clearly had a personal trainer for the shoot but be careful, he'll have your eye out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 8, 2024 7:34 PM

[quote]He's a typical luvvy. An open letter by over 2,000 celebrities criticised Israel but failed to condemn Hamas. The letter, signed by celebrities such as Steve Coogan, Tilda Swinton and Charles Dance, accuses the Government of “not only tolerating war crimes but aiding and abetting them”.

I had the misfortune to see an Artists Against Israel video where Dance and his friends were acting out South Africa's Iran funded submission to the International Court of Justice. Imagine a bunch of am dram enthusiasts high on cocaine and you get the vibe. Lena Headley or whatever her name is from Game Of Thrones read it like she was auditioning for Sarah Tobias in The Accused.

by Anonymousreply 56July 8, 2024 7:37 PM

R52 They met on the set of The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby, the 2001 miniseries, not the film.

Dance was Uncle Ralph and Sophie Myles was Kate.

He was 55 and she was 19.

by Anonymousreply 57July 8, 2024 7:39 PM

He played a hit and run killer in a Tales of the Unexpected.

by Anonymousreply 58July 8, 2024 7:42 PM

He was also in China Moon, a knock off of Body Heat. Dance played the rich husband. Ed Harris is the fool cop, Benicio del Toro is his partner, and Madeleine Stowe is the vixen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 8, 2024 7:47 PM

I have a China Moon rental coming. I can just feel it!

by Anonymousreply 60July 8, 2024 7:49 PM

[quote] He's a typical luvvy. An open letter by over 2,000 celebrities criticised Israel but failed to condemn Hamas

How dare he not have the exact political opinions as you do!

There's only ONE opinion to have on this matter, which is yours, and it completely overrides any other discussion of any celebrity!

I do not find your bringing this up over and over again tedious or obsessive at all.

by Anonymousreply 61July 8, 2024 8:14 PM

Who was Brit psycho hottie in Jewel in the Crown? It wasn’t Dance.

by Anonymousreply 62July 8, 2024 8:17 PM

[quote]Why does Meryl have to fuck all of her leading men?

Because...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 8, 2024 8:34 PM

R62: Tim Piggott-Smith played Sgt./Capt./Major Ronald Merrick.

by Anonymousreply 64July 8, 2024 8:38 PM

He said that Meryl was under a lot of pressure when they filmed "Plenty", that a lot of attention was given to how well her movies fared at the box office. He also said they got along when their characters did, and not so much when the characters didn't. He maybe pulled some method shit on set. Who knows. I doubt she hated him but it seems he didn't endear himself to the cast, who all had good things to say about working with La Streep.

R21 I came to post that, I thought he was wonderful in And Then There Were None, which was a terrific adaptation. The Phelps adaptations decreased in quality thereafter

by Anonymousreply 65July 8, 2024 9:20 PM

Apparently, he's a nasty piece of work - and not in the good way.

by Anonymousreply 66July 8, 2024 9:35 PM

[quote] He also said they got along when their characters did, and not so much when the characters didn't. He maybe pulled some method shit on set.

Dance seems too old school to be into Method Acting. I bet his opinion of it isn't that much different than Laurence Olivier's and Brian Cox's.

by Anonymousreply 67July 8, 2024 10:29 PM

R67, the Method is frequently a catch-all term used for any type of psychological approach to performance and does not necessarily mean a strict adherence to Stanislavky's approach. Things such as feeling closer to an actor you are supposed to be friends/lovers with onset and being distanced from those you are not frequently occur without any deliberate premeditation or as part of a larger system of acting technique, but can be referred to as 'method' in a casual way because they move offstage, so to speak. Whatever Dance, Olivier or Cox's view of the "Method" may be does not preclude them from consciously or unconsciouly practicing psychological performance techniques.

by Anonymousreply 68July 9, 2024 2:55 AM

R64 nobody ever described Tim Pigott-Smith as a hottie, even Mrs Pigott-Smith (should such a person exist)

by Anonymousreply 69July 9, 2024 5:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!