Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you bring your family & friends souvenirs from your vacations?

I only bring back gifts from my biennial trips to Italy for a couple of close friends one of whom takes care of my house/dogs while I'm gone and for my cousin and her kid. Good gifts such as leather wallets, purses, or whatever item of substance they request. Not tchotchkes.

The retired couple next door bring me tchotchkes from their local travels and cruises so I bring them something nice from Italy too but not from any of my other travels local or otherwise.

In Japan it is customary to bring your co-workers gifts from your vacation as a thank you for any extra work they had to do while you were gone.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2024 6:49 AM

Sometimes a person will ask me to bring them something. I don’t unless someone asks.

by Anonymousreply 1July 7, 2024 9:33 PM

Simple answer OP.....NO.

by Anonymousreply 2July 7, 2024 9:40 PM

I don't want trinkets and crap from places I've never been.

Unless it's something really unique and nice, don't bother. The world doesn't need more landfill.

by Anonymousreply 3July 7, 2024 9:41 PM

I get refrigerator magnets for my mom.

by Anonymousreply 4July 7, 2024 9:45 PM

I'm with R3. I don't need some tacky, mass produced piece of plastic to rub my nose in the fact that I never go anywhere.

My sister-in-law travelled to Turkey a few years back to visit her husband's family. She made a big deal about having to see us when she got back to give us gifts. The "gifts" were her unused Emirates travel packs, and a pair of socks knitted by her husband's mother. Insulting. And I'm not usually an ungrateful person.

by Anonymousreply 5July 7, 2024 9:50 PM

[quote] I get refrigerator magnets for my mom.

I don’t want magnets from someone else’s trip. I only have magnets from my own.

by Anonymousreply 6July 7, 2024 9:50 PM

Maybe some food items. I never give tchotchkes. The only time I bought something like that was when a coworker wanted a shot glass for her bar collection.

by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2024 9:54 PM

No, of course not.

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2024 10:18 PM

My mother always asked for rum when I went to the Caribbean or wine if I went to France.

Getting something nice for the pet sitter is always a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2024 10:19 PM

I don't get why you think this is an interesting subject for a thread.

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2024 10:28 PM

So unkind, r10.

Put a little love in your heart!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2024 10:37 PM

Did you throw Grandpa down the stairs his shoes?

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2024 11:45 PM

I always do, but both my mom and my sister put me off doing it because they say they have enough stuff (even though i always buy them nice expensive things). So now I buy stuff for my grandnieces (who are both four and so appreciate any gift) or for my closest friends and co-workers. I got the woman in the office next to mine a beautiful scarf for her birthday from the Degas Exhibition in Glasgow, and she seemed to really appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2024 11:53 PM

No.

I've sometimes bought something in my travels with a particular friend in mind, but only because I knew they would enjoy it, not as a souvenir. And more rarely I've picked up a souvenir sort of gift for a young kid when fairly certain they would like it.

If a neighbor or friend watches my house or pet, I like to pay them something for the trouble even if it's much less than the cost of a house sitter or pet sitter, plus follow OP's model on finding some very nice, usually consumable or perishable gift - not some geegaw expecting them to love it and display it until death.

But as a general rule, no. For people old enough, flush enough, and sufficiently decided in their tastes, I think all gifts should be consumable goods. It seems very presumptuous to buy things that put an obligation upon the recipient to display or wear or use. Some leeway given to friends who are artists or artisans AND who know your taste well.

Most travellers don't really have much time to find 'the perfect gift' and bring home loads of small items for a long list of people. It's a tradition well past it's time I would say. Token gifts for someone who did you a kindness in watching your house or pet is quite another thing.

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2024 11:59 PM

[quote] It seems very presumptuous to buy things that put an obligation upon the recipient to display or wear or use.

Gifts are by their very nature freely given.

I would never expect anyone to read a book or to wear a sweater or to display a piece of art I bought for them as a gift.

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2024 12:39 AM

Thus, Freda Claxton has posted her priorities.

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2024 12:57 AM

My mother and I bring each other t-shirts.

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2024 1:19 AM

[quote]Gifts are by their very nature freely given

That's certainly a view I share, R15 -- and freely and warmly received as a token of affection. But sadly it's not a universally held view.

Have you never experienced the relative or well-meaning friend who asks why they've never seen you in that "beautiful and expensive sweater" they gave you? Who wonders why the cutting board in the shape of Chile they gave you isn't proudly displayed in your kitchen? The work colleague who keeps asking if you read that "inspirational" book yet? If not, you've received the gift of perpetual good luck.

With few exceptions I think the best gifts are things that can be enjoyed in a short time and then their gone. Food, a dinner out, wine, tickets to a concert...things that don't take up space in a closet of unused and gifts.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2024 6:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!