Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Argentina once led on LGBTQ rights. After 4 lesbians are set on fire, critics blame rising intolerance on Milei’s government

"It was an attack that sent shockwaves through a country long considered a pioneer in LGBTQ rights. In the early hours of May 6, four lesbian women were set on fire in Argentina. Only one of them survived."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2024 8:22 AM

I made a thread about that when it happened. But as much as I loathe him, I don't get why they're pinning that gruesome act by an old disturbed guy on Milei. He's horrible, but he's not responsible for every single tragedy in Argentina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 7, 2024 7:11 PM

Set on fire. FUCK. 🤬😡

by Anonymousreply 2July 7, 2024 7:23 PM

Mike is Trump on Steroids- he dismissed their Supreme Court, dismantled 2/rds of the Government ( and Civil Service) , hired direct relatives into positions of high authority, and Oh Yeah- loudly speaks out against LGBTQ rights.

by Anonymousreply 3July 7, 2024 7:24 PM

*Milei*

-R23

by Anonymousreply 4July 7, 2024 7:25 PM

Horrible. And the cost for "government reform" under Milei comes at too high a price and questionable outcome.

Argentina is a spectacular place with great people and one of the most beautiful and interesting of cities. I wish much better for them.

by Anonymousreply 5July 7, 2024 7:40 PM

I'll tell YOU what's NEW, Buenos Aires!

by Anonymousreply 6July 7, 2024 7:47 PM

R1 is right. Milei is a piece of shit in plenty of ways, but he had absolutely nothing to do with this random attack. I'm sick of seeing this BS clickbait article get posted everywhere.

There are homophobic lunatics everywhere, even in the most progressive countries.

by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2024 8:05 PM

[quote] Local LGBTQ rights advocates condemned the attack as a hate crime and lesbicide, saying the women were targeted because of their sexual identity. Police have arrested a 62-year-old man who lived in the building but, according to Conder, aren’t currently treating the incident as a hate crime as they say the motive is still unclear.

The motive is still unclear.

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2024 8:15 PM

[quote] Milei is indifferent to same-sex marriage; he sees marriage as a contract and is opposed to it as an institution. He has also stated that homosexuality is a "personal choice" and is not a disease, stating that he would respect any type of consensual sex, hyperbolically including sex with an elephant. On the topic of transgender rights, Milei has stated that he "does not care" about gender identification "as long as you do not make me pay the bill", and compared it to identifying as a cougar. In reference to public funding for gender-affirming care and public education, he said: "I have no problem, but don't impose it on me by the state. Don't steal money from people to impose someone else's ideas on them. That is violent."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2024 8:21 PM

Were they set on fire because they were lesbians or did someone have a beef with them over something else?

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2024 8:23 PM

LOL R7- present day Argentina is hardly "Progressive". More like a Fascist dictatorial state.

by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2024 8:51 PM

Mllei is correct about the trans. If they want to poison themselves with cross sex hormones and elective surgery they should pay out of pocket. Trans people medicate and mutilate themselves for life because they're mentally ill or coerced by the trans rights activist cult.

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2024 9:08 PM

^ What is worse is that the trans cult is convincing kids to sterilize and mutilate themselves. Gender affirming care bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2024 9:40 PM

Damn right r13

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2024 9:41 PM

That hair is the real crime.

by Anonymousreply 15July 7, 2024 9:44 PM

What a weird asado.

by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2024 9:45 PM

Isn’t Argentina one of the most restrictive South American countries when in comes to abortion?

by Anonymousreply 17July 7, 2024 9:47 PM

On the contrary, R17. Abortion is legal for any reason until week 14, afterwards only for reasons of rape, or to preserve the mother’s life or health.

[quote]Even though it wasn’t the first country in Latin America to legalize abortion, Argentina is viewed by many as the launchpad for the recent abortion rights movement sweeping across other parts of the region.

[quote]On December 30, 2020, a 38–29 Senate vote legalized abortion up until the fourteenth week of pregnancy. In addition, in a nod to activists’ argument that restrictions disproportionately harm poor women, the law guarantees that abortions can be accessed for free.

Milei, however, campaigned promising that he would try to repeal the 2020 law.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2024 8:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!