Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" from 1951 is on TCM tonight...

TCM airs 1951's ever-more timely "The Day the Earth Stood Still" tonight @ 10:30 p.m./ET. Klaatu & Gort make a stop in Washington D.C. to deliver a dire message to Earthlings in the fraught post-war '50s. Classic sci-fi with a straightforward message, imaginatively done. Who's ready to climb aboard their spaceship and blow this pop stand? My take here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 7, 2024 4:51 AM

Shitty movie. I was about to post it in the really bad movies thread.

by Anonymousreply 1July 7, 2024 12:10 AM

It's considered a classic r1. You dont know much about movie history do you?

by Anonymousreply 2July 7, 2024 12:20 AM

I know what I like.

by Anonymousreply 3July 7, 2024 12:21 AM

A sci-fi classic and one of my favorite films.

by Anonymousreply 4July 7, 2024 12:21 AM

R1, you are a day late and a dollar short.

90% Critics loved it.

87% Audience loved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 7, 2024 12:23 AM

Classic. One of the 3 or 4 best sci-fi films of the '50s.

by Anonymousreply 6July 7, 2024 12:28 AM

Patricia Neal interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2024 12:32 AM

I must say, the way people in that movie react is very MAGA. Shoot first ask questions later.

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2024 12:32 AM

Eight replies and 80 year old movie is a Trump thread. Kudos to you girl! Don't let anyone steal your light. You are needed.

by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2024 12:35 AM

They must have been Dixiecrats.

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2024 12:35 AM

My 2nd favorite Robert Wise sci-fi film, after Andromeda Strain

by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2024 12:43 AM

I remember Adromeda Strain. Looking back, it could have almost been Covid.

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2024 12:45 AM

Forbidden Planet is my favorite of all time for old school Sci-Fi.

People still reference parts of it in today's culture when they talk about the monster Id inside of us.

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2024 12:47 AM

A classic 50’s Cold War era sci fi. No cool special effects and it is black and white so modern viewers just dismiss.

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2024 12:49 AM

My favorite old school sci-fi is Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

by Anonymousreply 15July 7, 2024 12:49 AM

This is a terrific film I think I've still got it on DVD somewhere, Have seen it a few times, it never wears thin

by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2024 1:21 AM

I've had Close Encounters on since I haven't seen it in years. When Dreyfuss had on his tv, I recognized those 70s commercials.

by Anonymousreply 17July 7, 2024 1:46 AM

All I remember from that movie is when the alien turned off the power worldwide is that housewife in the basement taking wet laundry out of the washing machine.

by Anonymousreply 18July 7, 2024 1:59 AM

r18, 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 19July 7, 2024 2:58 AM

I would have watched Close Encounters tonight but it just so happens I'm going to see it on the big screen tomorrow here in NYC with a friend. I had no idea it's currently back in theaters until my friend texted me the other day to ask if I wanted to go. I said yes because I always take any opportunity I can to see it in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 20July 7, 2024 4:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!