Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What would happen if one of the current best NFL players came out?

I know Patrick Mahomes is straight, but what if he were gay and came out? What would be the response to someone of his caliber, talent, and influence? What if Aaron Rodgers finally came out? (Carl Nassib doesn't count. He was not among the best.)

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2024 8:54 PM

We can't know. I'm guessing it would be a mix of things - surprising approval and support mixed with backlash and hate, and a midpoint of "meh." There would be the whole group of "why does he have to talk about it" and "I have no problem, but I'm sick of hearing about it" I'm-not-a-homophobe-but-actually-am homophobes. There would a huge amount of think pieces across the ideological and cultural spectrum and "the big interview" with the player. It would be interesting to see.

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2024 9:44 PM

The minute his performance declined, regardless of the reason, the homophobes would loudly attribute it to him making a big show of being gay.

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2024 9:51 PM

Even if the player himself wanted to come out, have a small window of focus with some interviews, and then move on and not really want to address it any longer, it would be impossible to minimize with the current media and social media. But who knows, if he were around long enough, maybe people would just get used to it. People are attracted to newness and novelty and if he could get past that stage.

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2024 9:54 PM

OP, what do you mean? Nobody would care.

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2024 10:13 PM

No one cares about anyone being gay except maybe in Saudi Arabia.

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2024 10:14 PM

R4 and R5, anti-LGBTQ legislation, and the Republican platform suggest otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2024 10:37 PM

It would become a narrative of: “he’s had relationships with women, so this is just a temporary phase.”

by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2024 10:40 PM

He’ll be Kaepernicked.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2024 10:41 PM

Patrick and his little princess sissy walk at the games reek of suppressed gay, I want him in me deeply, he's ugly hot to me and I'd beat the shit out if that cunt of his. White trash Barbie bitch

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2024 11:27 PM

All the McCaffrey boys coming out at once would cause quite the frenzy of masturbation.

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2024 11:29 PM

Some opposing players would go out of their way to injure him and some asst coaches would put a bounty on his head, paying anyone who did the deed.

[quote]It was then-Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams who implemented the bounty program, which involved a pool of cash that was doled out as bonus money in exchange for causing injuries to opponents, according to the league’s findings. The payments were as much as $1,000 for an opponent who needed to be carted off of the field, and $1,500 for a “knockout” hit, according to the Times-Picayune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2024 12:18 PM

Maybe Jalen Hurts could fit in this conversation. Sorry, but for me he pings to heaven.

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2024 8:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!