Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn't Martin Short have a bigger career?

He's a comedic genius.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 7, 2024 8:37 PM

Needy. You can sense his need for approval. His performance usually lives outside of the story being told.

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2024 12:01 PM

One of my favorite coworkers was a Martin Short lookalike. Her name was Carol.

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2024 12:03 PM

Martin Short has had a very successful career. He's not the Steve Martin (equally hilarious but more genial) type who can be the protagonist of a comic film. Short is darker and has a cutting energy. He's a brilliant comedic actor, and his lack for concern for being "likeable" makes him memorable and special.

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2024 1:23 PM

Loved him as the wedding planner in "Father of the Bride."

Cak, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2024 1:26 PM

Just because he’s not a leading man type doesn’t mean he hasn’t been successful. He’s still here when many have been forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2024 1:27 PM

I liked Ed Grimly

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2024 1:29 PM

He's worth $25-$30 million.

Crying as I type.

by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2024 1:30 PM

If he should live long enough, I think he'll become greater celebrated, as was the case with George Burns.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2024 1:33 PM

He’s fucking Meryl now. He was devoted to his late wife. Seems like an all around good guy and has a legion of young fans.

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2024 1:35 PM

[quote]He was devoted to his late wife.

Whaaaaaat?

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2024 2:01 PM

He was never leading man material anyway, but his style of comedy was always esoteric and cutting.

There's a lot of inside baseball jokes in the Jiminy Glick interviews (no one but Martin Short would call Steve Martin a "a kinda Oscar-considered actor") but the actor is also bizarre, from crying over the death of Viv Vance in the Julia Louis-Dreyfuss interview to declaring that he eats Greek food whenever Billy Crystal hosts the Oscars.

The best Glick interviews were Edie Falco (who really was a great sport), Alec Baldwin (who is witty off-the-cuff), Ice Cube (an unexpected delight), Louis-Dreyfuss and Mel Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2024 2:08 PM

You either love him or hate him. And most hate him, though you can't deny he's a comedic genius.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2024 2:15 PM

Sweet inspiration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 6, 2024 2:22 PM

R9 They're just friends!!

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2024 2:54 PM

At OP:

“Who would you not have on your show?” Self-answers without a beat but with deranged enthusiasm: “PATTY DUKE!”

by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2024 3:22 PM

R11, thanks for the tips. I’m in tears laughing.

Jiminy Glick crestfallen and then enraged after being gently reminded Viv Vance has passed away.

2:40

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 6, 2024 3:34 PM

At a time, the '80s, when I could count almost daily being told how much I looked like Christopher Reeve, I once ended up driving a court reporter to & from a marathon deposition. Right before dropping her off at her car at night, she told me that she couldn't stop thinking about how much I looked like someone & she just had to tell me. As I anticipated another Reeve mention, she said it was Martin Short. My ego took a major hit.

by Anonymousreply 17July 6, 2024 3:35 PM

Ice Cube:

“If Suge Knight hung you out the window, both of y’all would fall out the damn window.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 6, 2024 3:46 PM

He’s very quirky and surprisingly bitchy (if you read his autobio.) I don’t know if he would be successful if starting out today. Though I guess John Mulaney is also quirky and bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 19July 6, 2024 3:52 PM

Didn’t we just have a thread on Martin? It had a bunch of Glick videos attached, I watched several of them.

by Anonymousreply 20July 6, 2024 3:59 PM

Complete narcissist and asshole, makes Steve Martin look like Jimmy Carter.

by Anonymousreply 21July 6, 2024 4:03 PM

One of those guys who developed a personality because he was ugly, unfortunately, the personality he developed which he thinks is hysterical, is just mildly amusing. His role in Father of the Bride is vastly overrated, not that it’s really remembered anyway.

by Anonymousreply 22July 6, 2024 4:05 PM

I love him and his Nathan Thurm character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 6, 2024 4:20 PM

He was too short

by Anonymousreply 24July 6, 2024 4:35 PM

I'm DREAMING of a boy, a VERY special guy

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2024 4:39 PM

[R13] The interviews only work if the participant is funny and is willing to be on Glick's wave-length.

Ice Cube manages to find the right attitude to deal with Glick's nonsense: irritation at being called Vanilla Ice, confusion at the claim that Rex Harrison invented rap and finally abuse whenever Glick gives him an opening.

Cube listens and is reasonably quick-witted in his own responses.

The worst interviews involve a smug prick who has a pre-conceived notion of how they'll respond and gives glib, one-note answers: Bill Maher, Janeane Garofolo.

by Anonymousreply 26July 6, 2024 4:47 PM

[quote]The worst interviews involve a smug prick who has a pre-conceived notion of how they'll respond and gives glib, one-note answers: Bill Maher, Janeane Garofolo.

Glick's interview of Maher on Real Time a few weeks ago had me in tears.

by Anonymousreply 27July 6, 2024 4:50 PM

I love him in Father of the Bride. He isn’t remotely plausible but if you accept him as being seen through the eyes of the Steve Martin character, for whom the whole godawful ordeal is some sort of fever dream he can’t seem to slow down or awake from, he’s just perfect.

by Anonymousreply 28July 6, 2024 4:52 PM

I love that Jiminy Glick has been resurrected from the comedy island junkyard recently.

While I find Short hit or miss, and a little goes a long way with him, Glick is my go-to when I just want to stupid laugh. It's so hilarious to me and, amazingly, doesn't get old.

Other Short highlights:

- Short's famous SNL synchronized swimming skit was genius.

- He also starred as a devil-child (though he was probably 35) in a movie called Clifford. I remember loving it as a teenager.

- He's actually restrained and quite charming in Murders.

by Anonymousreply 29July 6, 2024 5:05 PM

The famous Nathan Lane interview. Lane is so likable and charming, even when Jiminy asks him about the famous drunk actor he worked with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 6, 2024 5:06 PM

R26, I just watched the Ice Cube episode. That was HILARIOUS!

by Anonymousreply 31July 6, 2024 5:06 PM

Clifford was to Short what Norbit was to Eddie Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 32July 6, 2024 5:07 PM

R7, how do you know what he’s worth?

Again, these net worth sites are utter nonsense. Can’t believe anyone takes them seriously.

by Anonymousreply 33July 6, 2024 5:13 PM

I thought Clifford was hilarious, mostly because he could have been a clone of a cousin I babysat on a regular basis. I can see how anyone else might have hated it.

Short also did a great impression of Pierre E Trudeau (Justin's father) in his SCTV days.

... now I'm thinking about SCTV. Need a few laughs

by Anonymousreply 34July 6, 2024 5:14 PM

For fun, I just looked up with a famous friend is worth on those celeb net worth sites.

They say this person has eight figures.

Actually, this person doesn’t have close to that (and they’ve enjoyed a long, successful career).

by Anonymousreply 35July 6, 2024 5:17 PM

I fell in love with Short in his “Jackie Rogers Jr” SNL skits. Delightfully, thoroughly weird.

by Anonymousreply 36July 6, 2024 5:53 PM

Bill Hader

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 6, 2024 6:23 PM

He was kind of sexy in the 3 amigos.

by Anonymousreply 38July 6, 2024 7:50 PM

Short is great on "Only Murders in the Building," but my favorite character on that show is the HOA/co-op president who keeps trying to kick his ass out of the building because he's behind on his monthly HOA/co-op maintenance fees.

by Anonymousreply 39July 6, 2024 8:29 PM

Who saw this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 6, 2024 8:54 PM

Remember when he attempted to imitate Bette Davis on The Tonight Show, and she wasn't pleased? She found him to be annoying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 6, 2024 9:02 PM

He was really great and totally creepy as the friend of Steve Carrell’s Mitch on The Morning Show.

by Anonymousreply 42July 6, 2024 9:08 PM

What are you on about, OP? Short is, easily, one of the most beloved figures in the business. There's a reason talk show hosts from Carson to Letterman to Leno to Conan to the Jimmys love to have him on to this very day. The dude's in one of Hulu's biggest hits ever and he continues to book memorable guest appearances on an almost endless stream of shows -- showing off both his dramatic and comedic chops. I don't see how his career is remotely disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 43July 6, 2024 9:09 PM

I found his autobiography quite good. He lost his wife to cancer, and seemed very forgiving in an interview with Kathie Lee Gifford when she completely forgot. He seems to have kept the same friends for decades, there was one page that described how he and Steve Martin and two others book their colonoscopies for the same day. They host a party the day before and drink those nasty concoctions together.

by Anonymousreply 44July 7, 2024 12:56 AM

Have you ever heard one bad story or rumor about Marty? He seems to be as genuinely nice a guy as he is talented. I wish him many more years of good health and continued late-career success!

by Anonymousreply 45July 7, 2024 1:03 AM

[quote]there was one page that described how he and Steve Martin and two others book their colonoscopies for the same day. They host a party the day before and drink those nasty concoctions together.

HACKS!

by Anonymousreply 46July 7, 2024 1:22 AM

I loved Jiminy's interview of Eugene Levy & Bob Hope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 7, 2024 2:07 AM

He, Billy Crystal and Paul Shaffer relied heavily on 50's Rat Pack Las Vegas type humor and it got old pretty fast

by Anonymousreply 48July 7, 2024 2:12 AM

How old is he?

by Anonymousreply 49July 7, 2024 2:18 AM

Short, Andrea Martin, Eugene Levy, etc. all met during a production of Godspell in Toronto in the early 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 50July 7, 2024 2:45 AM

i was just watching this reunion episode R50 where they speak about it....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 7, 2024 3:10 AM

r49 In the time it took you to type that, you could have used google, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 52July 7, 2024 3:16 AM

and r41 Here he talks about that night - hilarious

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 7, 2024 3:18 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 7, 2024 5:07 AM

If Marty had been born a decade earlier he would have merited his own variety show in the 1970s - The Martin Short Show on CBS with costumes by Bob Mackie.

by Anonymousreply 55July 7, 2024 5:21 AM

r55 nails it. His "humor" has always seemed like it would have been funnier a decade earlier.

by Anonymousreply 56July 7, 2024 5:35 AM

R43, I mean why didn't he have a career like Steve Martin, Robin Williams, Jim Carrey or even John Candy? The only movie I remember seeing him in is Three Amigos. He had the talent do be a big Hollywood movie star but he never became one.

by Anonymousreply 57July 7, 2024 12:16 PM

I find him very annoying and his career seems big enough.

by Anonymousreply 58July 7, 2024 12:20 PM

Because he didn’t wipe back to front!

by Anonymousreply 59July 7, 2024 12:26 PM

[quote]If Marty had been born a decade earlier he would have merited his own variety show in the 1970s - The Martin Short Show on CBS with costumes by Bob Mackie.

The one he DID get several decades later was a big flop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 7, 2024 12:27 PM

He’s fine in small doses. He does have that 60s showbiz type persona not so much in content but always mugging for the camera, always “on”.

by Anonymousreply 61July 7, 2024 4:17 PM

Jiminy Glick HAS to be a Datalounger. His love of Vic Vance, the constant mentioning of George Mahris, and the tendency towards fat whoredom are classic DL.

by Anonymousreply 62July 7, 2024 4:27 PM

He was ruthless and relentless with Bill Maher.

Sharper and faster than ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 7, 2024 4:40 PM

After “The Martin Short Show” was canned in 1994, he did a special in 1995 that’s got about everything….a Models Inc spoof, Brett Butler and Lyle Lovett starring in An Affair to Remember and a bunch of little skits about David Letterman’s mother.

It’s worth watching to see Jan Hooks in a prosthetic nose as Brett beating the crap out of Marty’s Tim Burton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 7, 2024 4:51 PM

[quote] It’s worth watching to see Jan Hooks in a prosthetic nose as Brett beating the crap out of Marty’s Tim Burton.

Jan played Dixie, Jiminy's long-suffering wife, & mother of Mason, Morgan, Matthew & Modine.

by Anonymousreply 65July 7, 2024 5:40 PM

The Bill Hader interview was hilarious. LMAO halfway thru to the end.

by Anonymousreply 66July 7, 2024 6:14 PM

The Sean Hayes interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 7, 2024 6:31 PM

I love Martin Short, a comedic hero to me. That said, he has a very narrow range as an actor (you'd never believe him in anything that wasn't really broad) and he's not a writer.

by Anonymousreply 68July 7, 2024 6:39 PM

Sean Hayes interview is good!

by Anonymousreply 69July 7, 2024 6:48 PM

I him. For those of you who don't know, Kathy Gifford asked him about his wife on air. She didn't know wife had died. He gave an innocuous answer, as if she were alive. This was quite touching for me. His comedy is brilliant. Obviously he has enough money to say no to a lot of projects.

by Anonymousreply 70July 7, 2024 7:02 PM

i adore him

by Anonymousreply 71July 7, 2024 7:02 PM

His autobiography is really good.

by Anonymousreply 72July 7, 2024 7:13 PM

R65 ah yes, Dixie Glick!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 7, 2024 8:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!