Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Clash of the Hamptons Cultures: “We Don’t Want People Wearing Shorts”

For some visitors, the East End of Long Island is a place to inhale fresh air on weekends before blowing off steam, shelling out $1,500 for a daybed on the beach in Montauk, or vying for an on-air cameo by dining at 75 Main during the shooting of the upcoming season of the HBO Max show Selling the Hamptons spinoff Serving the Hamptons.

For some visitors, the East End of Long Island is a place to inhale fresh air on weekends before blowing off steam, shelling out $1,500 for a daybed on the beach in Montauk, or vying for an on-air cameo by dining at 75 Main during the shooting of the upcoming season of the HBO Max show Selling the Hamptons spinoff Serving the Hamptons.

So, when New York private night spot Zero Bond, which has played host to the city’s mayor, Eric Adams, as well as Elon Musk, Taylor Swift, Tom Brady and Kim Kardashian, announced its intention to take over East Hampton village’s quaint 18th century Hedges Inn, the news unleashed a major backlash. It’s a particularly bucolic area, just a stone’s throw from the homes of Steven Spielberg and Martha Stewart.

In a slew of town meetings, led by the village mayor, locals tried to put the kibosh on Zero Bond, and in May, they succeeded in instituting an 11 p.m. curfew for all of the town’s hotels (this particular property had been zoned for a 10 p.m. curfew for some time), effectively blocking the club, at least for this season. Zero Bond owner Scott Sartiano, was not to be entirely deterred, quickly pivoted, announcing this week that he would convert the space to an outpost of his restaurant, Sartiano’s, which has its flagship in Manhattan’s Mercer Hotel.

“Mr. Sartiano has greatly watered down his proposal so that it will simply be an Italian restaurant, and if that’s the case, we will roll out the red carpet, but if his ultimate goal is to open another Zero Bond, I think the neighbors should be very wary,’’ East Hampton Village administrator Marcos Baladrón told The Hollywood Reporter.

Just up the street and across East Hampton’s scenic little pond, another historic inn, The Maidstone, has been purchased by pharmaceutical and cannabis honcho Irwin Simon, along with hotelier Mayank Dwivedi. It is now being run by LDV Hospitality, the owners of Scarpetta, a rousing Nomad restaurant with a club downstairs, and an outpost at Gurney’s Montauk Resort, known for its upbeat scene.

In Southampton, KyKy Conille, who operated New York nightclubs Provocateur, PM and Bijoux, and has a following that includes Leonardo DiCaprio, Gisele Bundchen, John Legend and Lionel Richie, has taken over the former Blu Mar restaurant, and morphed it into an outpost of his clubby New York Italian restaurant, Il Pellicano, with TV chef Rocco Dispirito at the helm. “It will cater to customers from 25 to anyone who can still walk,” he maintains. But there will also be a club in the back that will be decidedly less democratic.

“We will pick the clientele for the lounge,’’ said Conille. “My doormen will choose by the way they dress. We don’t want people coming in the lounge in the evening wearing shorts. I want to bring back elegance — for people to get excited to get dressed.’’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 6, 2024 7:57 PM

They're absolutely correct. In a community of $25 million estates the riff raff should be stopped miles outside of town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2024 8:17 AM

How do they feel about loose stools?

Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2024 9:45 AM

Fuck those rich cunts. I hope that 12pm curfew is lifted. Let them enjoy the chaos they inflicted on the rest of us. God knows their private gates and acres of land will ensure they never hear these partying young folks.

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2024 9:54 AM

R3 = communist

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2024 10:02 AM

R4 nope, just a normal person that finds it rich that these rich fucks wouldn’t care that the clubs their kids will go to will annoy middle class and poor families. But let one of these in their neighborhood and suddenly it’s an injustice.

Heck, all the bars in the area are probably owned by some trust fund punk.

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2024 10:09 AM

[quote] Fuck those rich cunts. I hope that 12pm curfew is lifted.

Same here.

And note to Hamptonites: EVERYONE WEARS SHORTS nowdays.

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2024 10:24 AM

i live there and i really don't give a shit either way.

by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2024 10:39 AM

The Communists can chill out. This is not about rich vs poor - it's about rich people vs other rich people.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2024 10:45 AM

a lot of bitches live here

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2024 10:49 AM

The guy said he didn't want people wearing shorts to his club. The author was looking for a way to make an incredibly dull story interesting. The Hollywood Reporter needs to hire am editor.

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2024 11:06 AM

The Hamptons should be bombed.

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2024 11:43 AM

[quote] The Hollywood Reporter needs to hire am editor.

So do you.

by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2024 11:48 AM

I’ll fix this, Hold my beer 🍺

by Anonymousreply 13July 6, 2024 12:06 PM

I think they have sniper towers to keep white trash like me out of that place

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2024 12:09 PM

What say ye, Countess?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2024 1:00 PM

One wears clam diggers when digging clams, swimwear when in or adjacent to the water, tennis clothes when playing tennis, and adult clothing when one is in a social setting, public or private, adjusted for time of day.

What's so hard about that, at least when not dealing with zombies or feral yahoos.

by Anonymousreply 16July 6, 2024 1:22 PM

Or coloreds, r16. Don’t forget the coloreds.

by Anonymousreply 17July 6, 2024 1:37 PM

Rich people nonsense. The Hamptons are beautiful. The culture including the gay crowd is tedious as can be. If you can isolate yourself from the ludicrous pretensions and enjoy the natural beauty it’s really wonderful. I prefer Sag Harbor and beyond the two Hamptons which I don’t like at all. Far as I can ever tell the gay men and women are all coupled with steel rods up their butts playing hetero gentry.

Not my thing. There are many rural settings and communities close to NYC that are just as beautiful, relaxed and 1000 square ft can be had for less that 3 million, or 15k per week.

I feel more or less the same about Nantucket where I grew up summers and still own two houses with my siblings. It’s incredibly beautiful but also over run with big showy stuck up money. My sibs and their families love it. I visit one or two long weekends a year every now and then with friends interested in making the trip from NYC.

by Anonymousreply 18July 6, 2024 1:40 PM

They want them nude.

by Anonymousreply 19July 6, 2024 1:44 PM

It's just not the same since we started letting in "show people."

by Anonymousreply 20July 6, 2024 1:55 PM

“Something fat walked in!”

by Anonymousreply 21July 6, 2024 1:55 PM

Bridgehampton -- home of one of the last remaining Kmarts in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 6, 2024 1:56 PM

[quote] hope that 12pm curfew is lifted.

12pm is NOON, dear.

by Anonymousreply 23July 6, 2024 1:58 PM

The kind of people defending these slobs also don't know how to dress on airliners

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 6, 2024 2:04 PM

Agree about people dressing too casually for flights — they dress as if they are home in privacy their living rooms or bedrooms and it’s disgusting.

Disgusting because they’re not at home where family or maybe no ine will see them. Instead, hundreds will. So put something on that looks like more than underwear and flip-flops.

The Rest Of Us Have To look At You!

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2024 2:09 PM

White people problems. Underlying cause is probably envy - nobody wants to see the pasty, flabby chicken legs of the old money rich therefore no one is to where shorts.

by Anonymousreply 26July 6, 2024 2:45 PM

Look up KyKy Conille - girl, please. I don't want to see him in shorts either.

by Anonymousreply 27July 6, 2024 2:53 PM

I’ve been to Zero Bond. Didn’t get what makes it so special, though the food is really good.

Also agree the writer is trying to make this provocative. Not wearing shorts at a club-like venue at night is a pretty standard request. (Totally fine at more laidback places/private parties).

by Anonymousreply 28July 6, 2024 2:58 PM

No shorts! We cannot see any cellulite!

by Anonymousreply 29July 6, 2024 2:59 PM

Sandals shorts and a bulge gets the fraus in a twitter. They have to run to the doctor to be masturbated. Its so inconvenient.

by Anonymousreply 30July 6, 2024 2:59 PM

[quote] So do you.

A typo is a typo, and doesn't even merit an "Oh Dear." An overlong, poorly organized and unfocused story on a media website is a different matter.

by Anonymousreply 31July 6, 2024 3:11 PM

Interesting, R18, as I grew up summers on Nantucket and my family has a house there. Shorts are okay for lunch at the Yacht Club (my recollection from a couple of weeks ago).

I've never been to the Hamptons, feeling they must be chock-a-block with [italic]arrivistes[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 32July 6, 2024 3:20 PM

This, however, is acceptable dress in the Hamptons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 6, 2024 3:37 PM

It's a mean, nasty, Republican town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 6, 2024 3:51 PM

[quote]This, however, is acceptable dress in the Hamptons.

A shent is always in style.

by Anonymousreply 35July 6, 2024 4:22 PM

R17, equating wearing clothes to suit the occasion is not racist, of course. You're just another nasty little dog turd a tourist left on the beach because she demands that her piffledoodle be able to "run free!"

Only such a low person would proudly say that insisting on sporting a ripe camel toe in a restaurant is the same as black Americans receiving equal rights.

by Anonymousreply 36July 6, 2024 4:52 PM

[quote]R17: What brand or designer do you have the most of LL Bean

Just so R17's standards, noted by her in another thread, are clear.

by Anonymousreply 37July 6, 2024 4:54 PM

Every woman who goes out to a club at night these days is dressed like a total whore but guys can't wear shorts? Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 38July 6, 2024 4:58 PM

We do not wear clogs in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 39July 6, 2024 5:06 PM

by Anonymousreply 40July 6, 2024 5:06 PM

by Anonymousreply 41July 6, 2024 5:07 PM

The Hamptons are a beautiful place filled with ugly people, and I don't mean in appearance. I'd go the rest of the way to Montauk, which is more mensch-y.

by Anonymousreply 42July 6, 2024 5:38 PM

So much pretense, with so little actual culture.

by Anonymousreply 43July 6, 2024 6:25 PM

The pretense is the actual culture. NOW GET OUT

by Anonymousreply 44July 6, 2024 7:19 PM

Borat and his similarly dressed friends need to pay the Hamptons a visit and live stream it. it’s extremely hot and they are still banning shorts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 6, 2024 7:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!