Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

29 years ago today, Betty Buckley took over

29 years ago this evening, Betty Buckley took over the role of Norma Desmond in Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Sunset Boulevard" on Broadway. She had turned 47 just two days before, on July 3, which was also the last day for Glenn Close in the role (who opened the show on November 17, 1994). Buckley wowed critics and audiences alike, getting rave reviews for her performance. Most people agree she was the best actress in the role - as an actress and as a singer. She played the role through the first weekend of September, 1996.

Buckley had already played the role in the Spring of 1994, in the 'revamped' production of 'Sunset Boulevard' when it reopened on The West End in April, 1994. She replaced Patti Lupone, who was 'fired' from the production a month earlier. The production was 'revamped' to bring in the changes made in the Los Angeles production, which starred Glenn Close. Critics gave her rave reviews.

This was the second time Buckley worked with Andrew Lloyd Webber. The first was in 1982 when she originated the role of 'Grizabella' in 'CATS' which won her a Tony. When she heard ALW was working on 'SB' in the early 90s, she was encouraged by her brother Norman to approach ALW at a party and let him know she was interested in the role. He acknowledged she was being thought about for the musical.

Though she was beloved by critics, and delighted the audiences, she didn't match the box office numbers which Glenn Close was pulling in during her run. (Some reports say she was averaging about 80% of the house, while Close was pulling in 100%). When her contract was up, ALW continued to look for a name star once again, to beef up the box office - to no avail. Elaine Paige was the replacement, and lasted six months in the role before the show closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 15, 2024 1:51 PM

Hi Betty at op.

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2024 1:47 AM

Hi Patti at R1. Jealous ?

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2024 2:09 AM

Who the hell do you think you are r2!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2024 2:10 AM

And eight is enough to fill her toilet with shit.

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2024 2:12 AM

We went on impulse—there wasn’t much else, IIRC. I don’t think it’s a great show (live the original movie), but thought Buckley was extraordinary—she had the star presence necessary for the role, but also made Norma “real”—ridiculous, vulnerable, tragic.

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2024 3:04 AM

Agree, r5 It was an excellent match of performer and role.

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2024 3:13 AM

Betty seemed nonplussed by Rosie cutting open a vein, telling her she wanted Abby for a stepmom

by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2024 4:12 AM

It was a role that came very naturally to her, given she’s INSANE.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2024 9:00 AM

Stephen Sondheim was quoted as saying, “Better this than one of my shows.”

Sondheim often suggested to Lloyd Weber that Buckley would be perfect for a one-woman performance of Starlight Express.

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2024 9:01 AM

Good summary overall, but Patti was only fired from the New York production, not London. She stayed on in London until her contract was up on March 9th, so that she’d have legal ground to sue ALW for breach of contract without having done the same.

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2024 9:15 AM

Nobody has been better, start here at 4:05.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2024 10:09 AM

Bitch had great pipes.

Is it true she's Lesbyterian?

by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2024 10:30 AM

Humorless but she played the tragedy beautifully and no one has ever sung the score better.

by Anonymousreply 13July 6, 2024 1:14 PM

47?! She looked 70

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2024 1:17 PM

She worked with ALW twice before SB, SHe was in Cats and replaced Bernadette Peters in Song and Dance

by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2024 1:23 PM

she and Rosie do the Lez-Lez?

by Anonymousreply 16July 6, 2024 1:38 PM

She strikes me as all wrong for Song & Dance. A girl from Britian trying to make it as ain NYC? That ain't Buckley.

by Anonymousreply 17July 6, 2024 1:39 PM

I still love her singing here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 6, 2024 1:44 PM

[quote]47?! She looked 70

SHUT UP CHRIS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 6, 2024 1:53 PM

Patti LuPone was terrible in Sunset Boulevard. She didn't have the range to sing the top notes. No wonder Andrew replaced her. She also didn't look anything like a silent film actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 6, 2024 2:16 PM

No one is bitchier than Buckley

by Anonymousreply 21July 6, 2024 3:43 PM

Elaine Page originated the role of Grizabella in London. Buckley followed a couple of years later, originating the role on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 22July 6, 2024 4:21 PM

[quote]Buckley followed a couple of years later, originating the role on Broadway.

I think the OP suggests that with the inclusion of '1982' and 'Tony Award'. I don't think readers were assuming the West End.

by Anonymousreply 23July 6, 2024 6:58 PM

Pity Buckley has barely been back to Broadway since then

by Anonymousreply 24July 6, 2024 9:10 PM

Saw both LuPone and Buckley in Sunset. Both ladies were excellent. ALW had his choice who played Norma and his first instinct to go with LuPone was a good one.

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2024 9:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 6, 2024 9:50 PM

I saw Betty in SB on Broadway. She and the set were the only good things about that stinkeroo

by Anonymousreply 27July 6, 2024 9:53 PM

Yep, r27.

by Anonymousreply 28July 6, 2024 9:57 PM

I'm not a Bettyphile (humorless bitch is about right) but damn if she didn't sell the shit out of As If We Never Said Goodbye. Agree she sang it best on stage.

by Anonymousreply 29July 6, 2024 9:59 PM

[quote]his first instinct to go with LuPone was a good one

His first instinct was to offer Angela Lansbury the role, but she didn't accept.

His second instinct was to offer the role to Shirley MacLaine, but she refused.

His third instinct was to offer it to Patti, and she accepted...then regretted it.

by Anonymousreply 30July 7, 2024 1:20 AM

[quote]His second instinct was to offer the role to Shirley MacLaine, but she refused.With her limited vocal instrument?

by Anonymousreply 31July 7, 2024 1:32 AM

Was MacLaine's vocal instrument more limited than Glenn Close's or Diahann Carroll's ?

by Anonymousreply 32July 7, 2024 1:53 AM

Definitely more limited than Carroll's, r32. She had a recording career. All things(age) considered, her voice wasn't in too bad shape when she did Sunset.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 7, 2024 2:27 AM

Also, r32, I can't hear in my head Shirley singing a "Norma" song (whatever they would have been). Also Norma needs a bit of grandeur and that really isn't in Shirl's wheelhouse.

by Anonymousreply 34July 7, 2024 2:32 AM

[quote]Is it true she's Lesbyterian?

Nope, not at all!

For years Betty was an OG cougar. She liked the mens and she liked them YOUNG.

by Anonymousreply 35July 7, 2024 2:41 AM

I was invited to the initial workshop of Sunset at ALW's estate. I assume I was being offered the role but I must have declined.

by Anonymousreply 36July 7, 2024 2:41 AM

All Meryl would have gotten out of it is fucked up knees from the stairs and a Tony she could tuck behind her Oscars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 7, 2024 2:51 AM

[quote]R9 Stephen Sondheim was quoted as saying, “Better this than one of my shows.”

I think Mr. Sondheim liked performers who worshipped him (which were of course NOT hard to find!) Betty Buckley is unapologetically opinionated, and that must have rubbed him the wrong way.

I don’t know that there are Sondheim roles she’s obviously “right” for, though. Maybe Charlotte in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC?

by Anonymousreply 38July 7, 2024 4:19 AM

Betty's performance at OP looked and sounded like she sung right out of getting out of bed.

Replacement Elaine Paige may not be a Broadway star name, but this is how the song should be sung

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 7, 2024 4:25 AM

Betty did do Sondheim - Gypsy at the Pepper Mill Playhouse right after she finished her run in Sunset. Laurents reportedly trashed it.

by Anonymousreply 40July 7, 2024 4:49 AM

[quote]r40 Betty did do Sondheim - Gypsy at the Pepper Mill Playhouse

I heard her Rose was very salty.

by Anonymousreply 41July 7, 2024 4:55 AM

Rose's Turn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 7, 2024 4:58 AM

[quote] Betty's performance at OP looked and sounded like she sung right out of getting out of bed. Replacement Elaine Paige may not be a Broadway star name, but this is how the song should be sung.

Horseshit, Paige came to town and no one noticed.

by Anonymousreply 43July 7, 2024 5:07 AM

And they even had to lower the damn banister for her.

by Anonymousreply 44July 7, 2024 5:22 AM

Paige always seems like someone’s mom to me.

by Anonymousreply 45July 7, 2024 5:33 AM

She has said that she wanted to have children, but "it's a wonderful life I have, so I'm very fulfilled in other ways".

by Anonymousreply 46July 7, 2024 6:30 AM

Zzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 47July 7, 2024 7:12 AM

R40 Arthur Laurents disliked a production he wasn’t involved in? What a shocker.

by Anonymousreply 48July 7, 2024 8:14 AM

If Sondheim had done a musical version of Eight is Enough, he still wouldn’t have cast her.

by Anonymousreply 49July 7, 2024 8:15 AM

In many ways, the backstage dramas are more enjoyable than the show.

by Anonymousreply 50July 7, 2024 10:21 AM

Sounds similar to Ethel Merman

by Anonymousreply 51July 7, 2024 11:27 AM

Buckley loved Sondheim but he said said unkind things to her. One time he said that he didn't like how she arranged his songs when she sang them

by Anonymousreply 52July 7, 2024 12:26 PM

What happened was Betty was cast as the Witch in Into the Woods during the first workshop. She left to do Song and Dance on Broadway to replace Bernadette and did not go to San Diego and was replaced by Ellen Foley. James Lapine fired Ellen from coming to Broadway and begged Betty to come back and do the role. During the next pre-Broadway workshop they famously feuded and she was fired and Sondheim asked Bernadette to save the show at the last minute.

Sondheim wasn’t a fan of hers ever since. Yes, he also hated her albums with Kenny and told her so.

by Anonymousreply 53July 7, 2024 12:40 PM

[quote] Betty did do Sondheim - Gypsy at the Pepper Mill Playhouse

Well, Thelma Harper's Madame Rose in Gypsy at the Pepper Pot Playhouse had to be SEEN to be BELIEVED!

by Anonymousreply 54July 7, 2024 3:09 PM

[quote]Well, Thelma Harper's Madame Rose in Gypsy at the Pepper Pot Playhouse had to be SEEN to be BELIEVED!

Yeah well her daughter Eunice's Baby June blew her off the stage.

by Anonymousreply 55July 7, 2024 3:55 PM

Dominique Deveraux was a saloon singer.

by Anonymousreply 56July 7, 2024 4:25 PM

[quote]One time he said that he didn't like how she arranged his songs when she sang them

You mean re-arranged, r52.

by Anonymousreply 57July 7, 2024 4:43 PM

R56 oh yeah? Blanche Deveraux played the skin flute.

by Anonymousreply 58July 7, 2024 4:56 PM

[quote]Sondheim wasn’t a fan of hers ever since. Yes, he also hated her albums with Kenny and told her so.

Didn't she give him her CD and basically corner him into an opinion, r53?

by Anonymousreply 59July 7, 2024 4:58 PM

Who can forget how Betty "opened her throat" prior to performing?

by Anonymousreply 60July 7, 2024 5:03 PM

49 years ago today Betty Buckley engaged in her first hardcore scissoring.

by Anonymousreply 61July 7, 2024 5:04 PM

[quote]James Lapine fired Ellen from coming to Broadway and begged Betty to come back and do the role. During the next pre-Broadway workshop they famously feuded and she was fired and Sondheim asked Bernadette to save the show at the last minute.

I doubt casting Bernadette "saved the show" as it really isn't much of a role, especially in the original production which was overwhelmed by the fantastic performances of Joanna Gleason and Chip Zein. "The Last Midnight" is a dog of a song.

by Anonymousreply 62July 7, 2024 5:05 PM

Bernadette “saved the show” in that at least they weren’t forced to hire Bonnie Franklin to open it.

by Anonymousreply 63July 7, 2024 5:13 PM

Well, r63, there is that.

by Anonymousreply 64July 7, 2024 5:29 PM

R62 that’s not true. In the Sondheim book by Craig Zadan he wrote that the producers noted that 25% of advanced ticket sales were due to Bernadette and people excited to see her next show.

Just because it was Sondheim didn’t mean it was going to be a hit show. See Merrily We Roll Along and Pacific Overtures.

Also Joanna was lauded, but Bernadette wasn’t overwhelmed by Chip Zien’s performance that wasn’t even nominated for a Drama Desk or Tony.

by Anonymousreply 65July 7, 2024 5:40 PM

SSS: Will we be hearing much Sondheim material at your upcoming concert at the Carlyle?

Betty Buckley: Probably not. He doesn't like my arrangements and he let me know that when I was in London, which was heartbreaking because it was one of the biggest, one of the most shocking moments of my life. I'd sent him a couple of my CDs because we recorded a lot of his songs and he came backstage and congratulated me and I could tell that he seemed kind of uncomfortable and I said, "Mr. Sondheim, I sent you my CDs and you never responded." He said, "Well I wouldn't have brought it up but since you did, I'll tell you: I don't like what you've done with my songs." And I was just heartbroken. It was shattering to me. And he had some theories as to why I had arranged them that way and I said, "I honestly have been only inspired and only, completely...." I had no words to tell him how much I love his work. I can't even put it into language, how meaningful it is to me and how important his work has been for me.

more at the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 7, 2024 5:49 PM

r66 really humanizes La Buckley.

She was a big cokehead in the 70s/80s, which probably contributed to her assholery. But she's been very generous with fans, so I'll give her credit for that.

by Anonymousreply 67July 7, 2024 5:53 PM

R49 I like the cut of your jib.

by Anonymousreply 68July 7, 2024 5:54 PM

It easy to be very generous with your fans when you can count the number on 2 hands

by Anonymousreply 69July 7, 2024 6:36 PM

[quote]Is it true she's Lesbyterian?

A London Sunset Blvd cast member once referred to her to me as Betty Both-ways.

by Anonymousreply 70July 7, 2024 6:45 PM

What song of Sondheim’s did she butcher?

by Anonymousreply 71July 7, 2024 8:09 PM

People complain about Betty's behavior yet Patti LuPone is out there.

by Anonymousreply 72July 7, 2024 8:27 PM

Sondheim didn't like her?

Cunt recognized cunt!

by Anonymousreply 73July 7, 2024 8:37 PM

[quote]r52 One time he said that he didn't like how she arranged his songs when she sang them

This is gorgeous. What the HELL else did that little bitch Sondheim want?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 7, 2024 11:15 PM

r74

agreed and I love her version of old friends and merry me a little

by Anonymousreply 75July 7, 2024 11:17 PM

MARRY me a little

we need an EDIT feature!!!!

by Anonymousreply 76July 7, 2024 11:18 PM

That CD and her Carnegie Hall CD are both masterpieces. I play them all the time.

by Anonymousreply 77July 7, 2024 11:19 PM

Now this is coming up in my feed - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 8, 2024 12:06 AM

[quote]"Well I wouldn't have brought it up but since you did, I'll tell you: I don't like what you've done with my songs."

He's the ultimate Sonhemite. If your version doesn't sound exactly as the original, you're dismissed. His prerogative, since he wrote it but think how Dolly embraced Whitney's " I will Always Love You".

by Anonymousreply 79July 8, 2024 12:39 AM

Love visiting this little parallel musical theatre universe where Betty Buckley should be teaching Sondheim about music

by Anonymousreply 80July 8, 2024 1:08 AM

I saw Elaine Page as Norma in London. I thought she was a lot better than the material, but I was also 17 and not yet a Broadway queen or lady-in-waiting.

by Anonymousreply 81July 8, 2024 1:12 AM

I too saw Elaine on the night before it closed. Alice was out(I think she wanted her understudy to be able to have her family see her in the role). It was my 1st broadway show and I was smitten

by Anonymousreply 82July 8, 2024 1:16 AM

Dolly embraced the paychecks from Whitney's I Will Always Love You

Sondheim knew that Betty's covers were only going to bring him quarters and dimes, so no need to sugarcoat his opinions

by Anonymousreply 83July 8, 2024 1:19 AM

[quote]r79 [Sondheim’s] the ultimate Sonhemite.

Speaking of his ruthless, vengeful bitchery, I had not heard this before:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84July 8, 2024 1:47 AM

Steve gave Babs “Children will glisten,” and I for one will never forgive him.

by Anonymousreply 85July 8, 2024 1:57 AM

Garn Stephens - I remember her in that thankless role she took in the second season of 'Phyllis', playing Cloris Leachman's coworker. Try as she may, she just wasn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 86July 8, 2024 2:03 AM

[quote]r86 Try as she may, she just wasn't funny.

She was probably still traumatized from Miss Sondheim FIRING her.

by Anonymousreply 87July 8, 2024 2:07 AM

R82. Alice Ripley was out closing weekend so she could attend her brother's (?) wedding. It wasn't a Beanie/Lindsey thing. Her absence has been planned in advance and then the closing notice went up.

by Anonymousreply 88July 8, 2024 2:08 AM

Betty is more or less the female counterpart to Mandy P. Kind of insufferable emoting and self importance.

by Anonymousreply 89July 8, 2024 2:09 AM

LuPone’s Norma has grown on me. The cast album doesn’t really show her off that well. A recording of her final performance, though low quality, reveals how much she grew in the part, emotionally and vocally.

Buckley’s studio recordings for Sunset are excellent. Pity she didn’t get to do a full album.

by Anonymousreply 90July 8, 2024 3:57 AM

I love this version of Unexpected Song but I’m guessing Sondheim didn’t. It’s the opening track of her Children Will Listen CD so it probably soured his opinion right from the start

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 8, 2024 5:04 AM

Someone I knew once claimed Betty has attempted suicide several times and can't be left alone in certain situations or around weapons. No idea if that is true or hogwash. The person had connections to the entertainment world in NYC and Los Angeles. I have always liked Betty and hearing that made me think they had confused her with someone else, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 92July 8, 2024 6:30 AM

R91, Sondheim didn’t write that one.

by Anonymousreply 93July 8, 2024 8:02 AM

R93, are we sure he wasn’t referring to Norma Desmond?

by Anonymousreply 94July 8, 2024 8:03 AM

Betty seems very Instagram happy on her ranch near her mom. She still works in tv and film but I doubt we'll ever see her onstage again. I still think she would make a great Madam Armfeldt.

by Anonymousreply 95July 8, 2024 12:05 PM

r92 Betty Lynn IS Norma Desmond!

Years ago, someone posted this story on DL. Someone responded, "Crazy attracts crazy."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 8, 2024 12:45 PM

She talks about Sondheim’s indifference to her here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 8, 2024 1:41 PM

I cannot believe a total sinker of a show like "Sunset Boulevard" seems to get produced over and over.

I've seen it a bunch of times and it remains a dopey, bloated turkey every time, no matter who plays Norma!

by Anonymousreply 98July 8, 2024 2:50 PM

She just turned 77. How old is her mother ?

by Anonymousreply 99July 8, 2024 11:01 PM

If the Hamptons Police haven't identified Betty's stalker yet, OP is one tipline away from having to confirm her whereabouts

by Anonymousreply 100July 8, 2024 11:12 PM

I come to DL for posts like r100

by Anonymousreply 101July 8, 2024 11:13 PM

R99. Betty's mom is 98. Bless her.

by Anonymousreply 102July 9, 2024 2:29 AM

Sondheim sounds so strange about objecting to new arrangements of his songs.

It used to be that singers prided themselves on having their own take on a standard. Rosemary Clooney was furious when Judy Garland copied her uptempo arrangement for “Come Rain or Come Shine.” The different arrangement s reflect a performer’s personal response to the music, which goes beyond the composer’s.

The various arrangements also reflect changes in time. A song needn’t be locked in 1964 forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 9, 2024 4:29 AM

I think Betty changed rhythms and phrasings. That is what Sondheim didn't like.

by Anonymousreply 104July 9, 2024 4:31 AM

Betty trying to martyr herself on an altar to Sondheim is kind of undignified. Y’know, sing ‘em if you got ‘em. It’s not like everything he ever did was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 105July 9, 2024 5:41 AM

Well, I think that was mostly while he was still alive and she hoped he’d hire her.

She’ll do whatever she wants with his tunes, now.

by Anonymousreply 106July 9, 2024 5:46 AM

Her unusual arrangement for “Meadowlark” is electric.

I think she asked the composer if there was one note in the song she could change, as the flow made better sense to her. He liked her idea.

I wonder which note that was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 9, 2024 5:53 AM

Betty was ripped to shreds several times from Sondheim and one particularly brutal dressing down by Arthur Laurent’s after Papermill Gypsy.

Thats got to be rough to be torn so many new assholes

by Anonymousreply 108July 9, 2024 3:40 PM

r108

any more details as to why?

by Anonymousreply 109July 9, 2024 6:13 PM

I can't imagine that Sondheim would have liked performance

jazz hands!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 9, 2024 8:00 PM

That Papermill Gypsy was dreadful and had no business even thinking about moving to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 111July 9, 2024 8:10 PM

In r110, Betty looks like she's wearing an ensemble from Norma Desmond's wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 112July 9, 2024 9:34 PM

[quote]R108 Betty was ripped to shreds several times from Sondheim and one particularly brutal dressing down by Arthur Laurent’s after Papermill Gypsy.

Jeez… it’s not like she directed it. Or ignored those two old queens’ (nonexistent) notes!

I love little Betty Lynn! Though I also heard she was recast on BROTHERS AND SISTERS because she called someone on the set of the pilot a cunt.

(There must have been more than that, though?)

by Anonymousreply 113July 9, 2024 9:47 PM

She used to finger bang Willie Aames

by Anonymousreply 114July 9, 2024 9:47 PM

The Sondheim dressing down happened at the Donmar Warehouse. He saw Betty's show and came back stage. Betty asked what he thought of her work with his songs. He said I wouldn't have said anything but since you asked I really don't like what you are doing to my songs.

Laurents came backstage at Papermill and said if you think you are taking this to Broadway you are crazy.

I think Sondheim was pretty measured but Laurents was just a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 115July 9, 2024 9:48 PM

r113

I love Betty but she doesn't exude warmth like the matriarch of the show needed(I loved Brothers and Sisters)

by Anonymousreply 116July 9, 2024 9:48 PM

[quote]Though I also heard she was recast on BROTHERS AND SISTERS because she called someone on the set of the pilot a cunt.

Betty Lynn should be a DL LEGEND!

by Anonymousreply 117July 9, 2024 9:49 PM

I wonder if they always wanted Sally Field and she suddenly became available?

by Anonymousreply 118July 9, 2024 9:50 PM

[quote]Thats got to be rough to be torn so many new assholes

Please Betty could have eaten those two pansies for breakfast.

[quote]Laurents came backstage at Papermill and said if you think you are taking this to Broadway you are crazy.

Not because it wasn't good, it was because Laurents didn't direct it or have anything to do with it. Subtle he wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 119July 9, 2024 9:59 PM

Re: “Brothers and Sisters”

Jonathan LaPaglia from the unaired pilot was replaced with Matthew Rhys. So Betty’s wasn’t the only head that rolled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 9, 2024 10:06 PM

Why was Betty so bad in Gypsy? Anyone see it?

by Anonymousreply 121July 10, 2024 8:16 PM

She sang the role the best it had been sung, but she was directed poorly and Arthur ripped her to shreds backstage after she invited him there

by Anonymousreply 122July 10, 2024 8:21 PM

I have watched clips and she sings it great like r122 said

by Anonymousreply 123July 10, 2024 9:08 PM

Let's not forget, Laurents hand-picked Linda Lavin to replace Tyne Daly because he thought she was great in her audition. So at least by 1990, when she auditioned, he was losing it.

by Anonymousreply 124July 10, 2024 9:18 PM

Did anyone see Buckley when she was touring with GYPSY in 2018-19 ? I had some friends who saw her in Boston - said her voice was spectacular, but she didn't play the character that well. I thought she was an odd choice, especially after following Midler and Peters.

by Anonymousreply 125July 10, 2024 9:22 PM

I've always loved Buckley. I will qualify that with the only thing I ever saw her in was Eight is Enough when I was a kid. I was obssesed with her car and permanent, broken hearted voice. The Christmas Gift episode....I was sad for a week.

by Anonymousreply 126July 10, 2024 9:34 PM

[quote]Why was Betty so bad in Gypsy? Anyone see it?

Betty doesn't do comedy, r121, so she was a...dark...Rose.

by Anonymousreply 127July 10, 2024 10:07 PM

[quote]she was a...dark...Rose

Just you wait.

by Anonymousreply 128July 10, 2024 10:10 PM

I'm waiting some Gypsy vids now... good god her "acting" in the songs

by Anonymousreply 129July 10, 2024 11:29 PM

watching not waiting

by Anonymousreply 130July 10, 2024 11:31 PM

[quote]Betty doesn't do comedy,

I think that's why she didn't click with audiences when she toured with 'Hello Dolly'.

by Anonymousreply 131July 10, 2024 11:37 PM

It's funny that Betty doesn't "do" comedy.

I met her many years ago after a show. I made a joke which, in retrospect, wasn't the funniest (and no, I'm not going to post it here); however, she had no response. She was just kind of deadpan.

by Anonymousreply 132July 11, 2024 12:26 AM

When I saw Betty in Gypsy I turned to my friend after the first scene and asked 'why is she channeling Margaret Dumont?'.

by Anonymousreply 133July 11, 2024 12:39 AM

she does kind of have that dead inside persona

by Anonymousreply 134July 11, 2024 2:14 AM

R134=Susan Richardson

by Anonymousreply 135July 11, 2024 2:26 AM

These are *pipes*...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 11, 2024 2:28 AM

Poor Betty. Between that and Art Laurents eviscerating her Madame Rose, it must've been a blow to her ego.

She was always very kind to fans on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 137July 11, 2024 2:48 AM

I can so hear Abby in that song.

by Anonymousreply 138July 11, 2024 2:50 AM

Buckley's studio Sondheim recordings were all new age-ish. Not the live Carnegie Hall versions which were more traditional.

by Anonymousreply 139July 11, 2024 2:51 AM

R132 - she was trying to find the button to call security.

by Anonymousreply 140July 11, 2024 2:55 AM

Didn't she basically get off the bus and immediately get cast?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 11, 2024 3:06 AM

Yes r141. She was cast her first day in NYC.

Pity she isn't in the movie. She really sang the heck out of that song.

by Anonymousreply 142July 11, 2024 3:54 AM

Laurents didn't like that Buckley added the bit where her Momma Rose slapped the ever-living shit out of little Baby June. But you've got to admit, everyone has always wanted to see Rose do that.

by Anonymousreply 143July 11, 2024 4:01 AM

Re: slapping

Bonnie Franklin really would have made the freakiest, greatest Mama Rose.

by Anonymousreply 144July 11, 2024 4:25 AM

The thought of Bonnie Franklin singing "You'll Never Get Away from Me" is the stuff of nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 145July 11, 2024 4:48 AM

She’d also work a lot of tapping into each of her songs, I bet.

At first it would seem novel. Then quickly grow annoying.

by Anonymousreply 146July 11, 2024 4:51 AM

I Hate Letting My Child Be Managed by Some Big Shot Like Mr T. T. Granzinger Without Me Around, But I Love to Tap!

by Anonymousreply 147July 11, 2024 5:01 AM

R143 - Mrs Patsy Ramsey

by Anonymousreply 148July 11, 2024 11:05 AM

I betcha Bonnie Franklin would have been much better than Linda Lavin in the role in 1990.

by Anonymousreply 149July 11, 2024 12:07 PM

Gypsy would have veered into full on horror if Bonnie had taken the role. There would have had to have been warnings placed in the programs for the elderly and veterans similar to when strobe lighting is used...

by Anonymousreply 150July 11, 2024 1:06 PM

Bonnie was announced for Gypsy at the Bucks County Playhouse but Miss Joyce DeWitt played Rose instead.

by Anonymousreply 151July 11, 2024 1:16 PM

Until Gary talked the Bucks County Playhouse out of it.

And, you know, for once, Gary might not have cost anybody anything.

by Anonymousreply 152July 11, 2024 1:43 PM

R143 in what scene did that happen? Is this just a joke? Playing on Miss Collins slapping Chris Hartwigson?

by Anonymousreply 153July 11, 2024 2:44 PM

You're blonde, r153, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 154July 11, 2024 3:32 PM

I wanted to see Linda Lavin play Rizzo.

by Anonymousreply 155July 11, 2024 3:33 PM

Just watched her in Split circa 2017. She looked good

by Anonymousreply 156July 11, 2024 3:55 PM

Calling her runt of a cheating husband on his [italic]bullshit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 11, 2024 5:06 PM

They could have put Betty into Mary Poppins but then Mary would have looked like she wanted to eat the children through the whole show.

by Anonymousreply 158July 11, 2024 10:56 PM

R154 asking if that's a joke is perfectly reasonable. It would be a crazy choice, but one that a new young director might make and Betty might go along with.

Also, it could easily be a joke playing on the famous slap from Carrie, or her other over the top characterizations.

So fuck you

by Anonymousreply 159July 12, 2024 2:37 AM

Betty please!

by Anonymousreply 160July 12, 2024 2:47 AM

R157 - that scene is hilarious as to how the pianist resumes playing straight after Betty leaves with Ian Holm.

by Anonymousreply 161July 12, 2024 5:31 AM

I flew yesterday and watched M. Night Shyamalan's Split in honor of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 162July 14, 2024 9:57 AM

Watch “The Happening” if you want to see Betty kill herself via smashing her head through windows.

by Anonymousreply 163July 14, 2024 11:17 AM

r163 = Chris Hargensen

by Anonymousreply 164July 14, 2024 12:06 PM

R163 I have it on blu-ray and VHS!

by Anonymousreply 165July 15, 2024 1:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!