Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diane von Furstenberg: Woman in Charge

Just watched this documentary on Disney+. Quite enjoyable. I didn't know her first husband died of AIDS. She was a stunning woman but looked 40 at 27. Just one of those faces. Her mother's story and survival of concentration camp is staggering. She weighed 45 lbs at the end of the war.

by Anonymousreply 43July 6, 2024 11:25 PM

Egon was an out and about gay man in the 70s. I hung out with him frequently with mutual friends. His marriage was an arrangement as is her marriage to Diller. I thought Egon was a sweet but dumb airhead. I gather she is gay. She is NOT a nice person. Neither is Diller.

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2024 2:18 AM

Bitches, she invented the wrap dress, a fashion that is truly iconic (and I don't use that word lightly) and as relevant today as it was 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2024 2:24 AM

You’re right R2. I can’t live without mine. She should get a Nobel for that dress!

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2024 2:27 AM

R2 - she did NOT invent the wrap dress, she made it popular.

Diane's been a social climber her whole life and pisses on the people who won't help her.

Her whole persona is a lie - she married to wealthy gay men and was great at connections and self-promotion. She's a horrible person.

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2024 2:27 AM

Read and learn about the wrap dress.

She just made it out of jersey and clingier polyester fabrics that were available in the 70's.

She only became famous because her Prince husband fucked around with so many other gay men and he needed a 'cover' with a straight marriage. She was able to use these relationships to sell her 'new' design and cash in on the women's movement.

She's full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2024 2:31 AM

sorry - link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2024 2:32 AM

Horrible woman!! What R5 is correct!!

Married Egon for the title& the Agnelli $$$$-FIAT Billions!!! Divorced in 1983

by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2024 2:36 AM

In the documentary she says she is bi and shows pics of her first male and female big live affairs when she was at school.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2024 5:23 AM

She comes across as intelligent and wise in the doc. I have no doubt she is a nightmare personality though.

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2024 5:25 AM

R7 - she separated from him in 1973 after having 2 kids and securing those child support checks. Probably took 10 years to finalize that settlement.

AND - I don't believe her biography AT ALL.

She was 3 months pregnant when she married Egon. You think that was a happy coincidence? She targeted him, got pregnant and then forced the marriage.

But to tell her side, she was going to abort potentially. AS IF. She is one lie after another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2024 5:35 AM

They were both in early 20s when they got knocked up and married. Like millions of other people. I don't find this an indication of egregious social climbing. The dude married her. Big whoop.

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2024 5:44 AM

In college I low key tried a few times to hook up with her straight son Alexander yet he always brushed me off with gentle charm. He was very good looking at the time, and pleasant, as was his sister Tatiana. Not sure why he married that awful Miller sister other than the money. Apple didn't fall very far from the tree, alas. He could have had a woman with some substance, or a great beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2024 7:18 AM

Her son is good looking.

by Anonymousreply 13July 6, 2024 8:19 AM

R11 - but that's not how she tells it. She paints it out that he insisted on getting married whereas she would have just had an abortion.

Her fashion lines have gone out of business 3x - and it's just a re-generation every 20 years of the same wrap dress each time. She's a 1 trick pony - and even that is based on a lie - she did NOT create the wrap dress.

She's created this myth and aura about herself that are total lies.

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2024 1:30 PM

OP = Diane

by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2024 1:36 PM

Tatiana posed nude in Madonna’s Sex book. Whore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 6, 2024 1:39 PM

Her second husband is a top, so he's probably safe.

by Anonymousreply 17July 6, 2024 1:57 PM

She’s a predatory lesbian. On was into tricking with BBC on 8th Ave. They married and had kids for the $$$. She was fucking Gia the junkie supermodel. Their two kids didn’t even live with them. They lived in their own apartment with housekeepers. She’s a creepy lesbian. She spent her life as a beard to millionaires.

by Anonymousreply 18July 6, 2024 2:02 PM

* Egon was into tricking w BBC.

by Anonymousreply 19July 6, 2024 2:03 PM

Oh yeah? Is she poz? Any Tina Chow in her history?

by Anonymousreply 20July 6, 2024 2:10 PM

I didn't know she was fucking Gia. In the doc she said she couldn't go through w a 3-some.with Bowie and Jagger. Lol. Prob afraid of being ignored.

by Anonymousreply 21July 6, 2024 2:15 PM

There’s a photo out there of Diane doing her making while sinking in a sink. She’s a dirtbag.

by Anonymousreply 22July 6, 2024 2:16 PM

How did someone so ugly manage to hook up with Gia? She must have had good drugs.

by Anonymousreply 23July 6, 2024 2:17 PM

I watched her reality show but can't remember a thing about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 6, 2024 2:17 PM

She was beautiful when young. I give her credit for zero cosmetic surgery. She looks old but not freaky.

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2024 2:23 PM

R18 is 100% DOG SHIT

by Anonymousreply 26July 6, 2024 2:37 PM

"She spent her life as a beard to millionaires."

Good money.

by Anonymousreply 27July 6, 2024 2:46 PM

Ok, Barry.

by Anonymousreply 28July 6, 2024 2:46 PM

I'd love to know what other real designers think of her. She's had such aggressive PR and publicists pushing her narrative and always talking about her damn wrap dress.

Now she produced a documentary about herself - she really is great about self-promotion. I'll give her that.

by Anonymousreply 29July 6, 2024 2:48 PM

To be that successful you have to have big balls, likely be narcissistic and unpleasant and be a class A self promoter. It's no different than other successful designers. Vera Wang?

by Anonymousreply 30July 6, 2024 4:06 PM

R30 - in other interviews, her kids have said that she wasn't around much when they were growing up. She said that when her kids were 4 and 5 she told them that they needed to be independent because she could die at any time and they needed to stand on their own.

Who says that to 4 and 5 year old children? Kids that age ARE dependent on their parents - but both her and Egon were out partying up and fucking around. I mean - it was the 70's, but still.

Vera Wang made a name for herself over decades with classic and beautiful designs. Not because she copied one dress style and used a 'new' fabric to make it drape better. Vera has tons of styles - DVF had one that she STOLE and claimed as her own, and then she had a creative department select fabrics and styles.

I've posted a lot on this thread about her - but she really irks me. She talks in other interviews about how she had an affair with Barry Diller in the 70s but turned down his proposal. Then she reconnected with him and said, if you want to still marry me, let's go today.

WTF? Again she married a GAY billionaire in 2001, probably because her businesses were going down the tubes once again after a minor resurgence in the late 90's AND because the 'new' internet was revealing all the stories about Barry Diller's affairs with men.

She's a narcissistic liar - but I guess most people have to be to rise to that level. I really hate the adoration she's been given for speaking platitudes about the modern, independent woman - when she targeted a prince, got pregnant in order to get married, and rode a bumbling prince's coattails to success.

You can't believe a single word that comes out of this woman's mouth.

by Anonymousreply 31July 6, 2024 4:47 PM

rough crowd, here.

by Anonymousreply 32July 6, 2024 5:20 PM

[quote] There’s a photo out there of Diane doing her making while sinking in a sink.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 33July 6, 2024 5:35 PM

Elon fucked a sailor friend of a friend when our battle group was in Hong Kong.

by Anonymousreply 34July 6, 2024 5:38 PM

Oh yeah? Size meat verificatia?

by Anonymousreply 35July 6, 2024 5:48 PM

I didn’t get all that information r35, but Egon was crazy about him.

by Anonymousreply 36July 6, 2024 5:50 PM

Elon fucked "lots of men"& got fucked a lot too!! Met him in London Summer of 1984

Nice guy, knew everyone, had lots of good stories, Great title, lots of $$$$$!!

Summer of 1984 was the "Summer of ME"

by Anonymousreply 37July 6, 2024 5:57 PM

Elon fucked "lots of men"& got fucked a lot too!! Met him in London Summer of 1984

Nice guy, knew everyone, had lots of good stories, Great title, lots of $$$$$!!

Summer of 1984 was the "Summer of ME"

by Anonymousreply 38July 6, 2024 5:57 PM

And then along came AIDS. Hope EVF enjoyed his 1984.

DVF was never actually beautiful. She always has had droopy basset hound eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 6, 2024 6:26 PM

[quote]She said that when her kids were 4 and 5 she told them that they needed to be independent because she could die at any time and they needed to stand on their own.

[quote]Who says that to 4 and 5 year old children?

I guess people whose own parents were holocaust survivors, r31.

by Anonymousreply 40July 6, 2024 6:39 PM

Yeah, enough about the wrap dresses, already. You don't even see women wearing that dress.

She has made a life for herself being a beard to very wealthy men. What's the point, for Diller, at this point?

I'm more interested in Ellen Barkin, who was Ronald Perelman's 4th wife. "Barkin's yearly alimony ranges from $2 million to $3 million, and the total payout ranged from $20 million to $65 million." It was interesting when she auctioned off all of the jewelry that Perelman gave her. Married for around 5-6 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 6, 2024 7:20 PM

R41 - start your own thread about Ms. Barkin then. We're busy taking down DVF.

by Anonymousreply 42July 6, 2024 10:34 PM

R22, have you taken your meds?

by Anonymousreply 43July 6, 2024 11:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!