Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A ‘potentially historic’ heat wave is intensifying along the West Coast

An extremely dangerous, unusually long heat wave is intensifying and spreading up the West Coast – and there will be no relief for days.

Officials from California to Oregon and Washington, to Nevada and Arizona are bracing for potential wildfires, opening cooling centers and warning residents to stay indoors and keep hydrated as the unrelenting heat wave delivers sweltering temperatures well up into the 100s and 110s, with highs in the 120s possible in the Desert Southwest.

And it’s only getting hotter.

Death Valley, California, could top 125 degrees by Sunday or Monday, setting a new daily record for those dates. Las Vegas, Nevada, could also exceed its all-time high temperature of 117 degrees Sunday or Monday.

“Confidence is increasing that this potentially historic heatwave will last several days,” the National Weather Service in Portland warned, adding that the risk of heat-related illness will increase significantly.

Nationwide, nearly 140 million people remain under heat alerts, mostly in Western states, where the heat wave is expected to last through the middle of next week.

Parts of Oregon will experience triple digits Friday, and the heat could last up to five days with poor overnight relief, says the National Weather Service Portland.

A previous heat wave that scorched Oregon in 2021 left dozens dead as power equipment buckled in the heat, triggering rolling blackouts for tens of thousands as temperatures soared above 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

While this heat wave isn’t expected to be as intense as the 2021 scorcher, forecasters are concerned about its long duration, National Weather Service—Portland, Oregon, Meteorologist Noah Alviz told CNN. “Getting into the upper 90s or even triple digits of 100 to 105 for four to five days. That is very unusual for this location,” he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 10, 2024 11:49 AM

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2024 12:59 PM

This sucks.

Our planet really is turning into the Soylent Green heat dome.

When the Pacific Northwest is experiencing 100+ degree temperatures, you know something is seriously wrong with the weather.

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2024 1:02 PM

I looked at the extended forecast for Flyover and it's going to meander this way.

by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2024 1:03 PM

There’s nothing wrong with weather. It’s summer.

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2024 1:03 PM

R4- The media LOVES to hype stories about the weather.

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2024 1:05 PM

Bullshit, R5.

Portland, Oregon should not be experiencing 100+ degree weather. Even in the SUmmer.

Las Vegas could break its all-time record of 117. The forecast for Sunday is 120.

Even beyond that, Vegas has had consistent temperatures between 110 and 115 since mid-June. Normal for this time of year is 100 to 105.

And Death Valley could see a world record. The highest temperature ever recorded on Earth was 134 at Death Valley.

We could see that record matched this weekend.

Still think that's "normal?"

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2024 1:15 PM

R6 - You do realize that weather is not static, right? That weather changes and has been changing, with or without man's hand in it, since the planet was formed about 4.5 billion years ago. It's getting hotter for now. A few decades ago it was getting colder. This too shall pass.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2024 1:19 PM

I detest ignorant cunts like R4/R5

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2024 1:20 PM

California’s Death Valley could reach a scorching 130 degrees next week and could come close to breaking its blistering world record as parts of the west, Southwest and Mid-Atlantic are under an intense heat wave forecast to intensify this weekend.

The temperature at Death Valley National Park, which stretches between eastern California and Nevada, will reach highs around 130 degrees at Furnace Creek, Sunday night through Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service forecast. Furnace Creek, in Inyo County, California, is home to the headquarters for the national park.

The sweltering heat could creep close to the world’s record highest temperature of 134 degrees marked at Greenland Ranch in Death Valley on July 10th, 1913, according to the National Weather Service office in Las Vegas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2024 1:21 PM

R7, that argument is ridiculous beyond description. In the first place, for almost all of the 4.5 billion years what the weather did was of little consequence because there was not much living here.

In the second place, man has affected individual parts of the environment before, but never the whole planet as he has with global warming.

In the third place, it's bullshit that the planet was cooling "a few decades ago". Actually, the highest rate of global warming ever was between 1901 and 1950. There was then a period of stagnation until the 1970s when warming took off again. That acceleration slowed a little after 2000, but it hasn't slowed enough to avoid disaster at this point. Scholars think the 1900-1940s warming was a combination of greeenhouse gases and aerosols. The first stagnation was when aerosols began to decline, and since 2000 the ozone layer has been repairing and greenhouse gases have also been declining. At no point since 1900 has the climate actually cooled. It has merely had pauses in heating up.

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2024 2:50 PM

The climate cultists are gullible fools.

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2024 3:13 PM

R10 -

[quote] In the first place, for almost all of the 4.5 billion years what the weather did was of little consequence because there was not much living here.

Talk about ridiculous beyond description. Honey, do you not understand how history works or are you of the mind that all that matters is what happens in your lifetime?

[quote] In the second place, man has affected individual parts of the environment before, but never the whole planet as he has with global warming.

I have no idea what you're trying to say with the first part, and the second part is pure agenda-driven conjecture. I'm sure man has exacerbated climate change, but it's incredibly foolish (not to mention arrogant) to think man has THAT much control over the planet. If we did, hurricanes and tornadoes would be a thing of the past. We are like tourists at Yellowstone tossing McD wrappers out the window -- it's not good, it's not helping, but it's also not destroying the national park.

[quote] it's bullshit that the planet was cooling "a few decades ago".

I sure hope you're cute to be that stupid. Media was agog with hysterical reporting that a new ice age was imminent. Hell, that persisted even into YOUR lifetime assuming you're more than 15 years old. Below is just one example, but the spike in the hysteria was 70s and 80s.

FWIW, I think you're at best misinformed and really don't see any point in continuing this further. Firebomb away if it makes you happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2024 4:52 PM

I'm in Northern California. It's going to be 110 today and tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2024 5:27 PM

So tell me why I should move to Palm Springs or whatever places has wildfires today.

by Anonymousreply 14July 5, 2024 5:29 PM

R14 - Cheap real estate

by Anonymousreply 15July 5, 2024 5:38 PM

Did someone start it by making their seat wave?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 5, 2024 7:00 PM

Summers used to be an enjoyable break from cold weather.

Now, Winters are no longer cold and Summers have become an unbearable hellscape of extreme heat and wildfires.

Welcome to the new world.

Soon, Winter will have no more snow, and Summer will last 10 months.

by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2024 8:07 PM

Can't wait for all the news stories about all the idiots who decide to go out for a hike in this heat and end up dead. Happens every year.

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2024 8:17 PM

[R18] You can't wait? How odd.

by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2024 9:14 PM

That is odd, but indeed it happens pretty regularly

by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2024 9:16 PM

It'll be 120 but it's only a dry heat. Let's go on that 10 mile hike in Death Valley!

by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2024 9:35 PM

Life is better by the ocean.

Half Moon Bay is quite beautiful this time of the year.

by Anonymousreply 22July 6, 2024 2:31 AM

[quote] The highest temperature ever recorded on Earth was 134 at Death Valley.

Interesting that US has the hottest place on earth. I thought it's either somewhere in the Middle East or Africa.

by Anonymousreply 23July 6, 2024 2:41 AM

Supposedly, Al-Aziziyah, Libya had the highest temperature on Earth at 136 degrees.

But that is disputed because at the time there was no official record of that temperature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 6, 2024 2:45 AM

is cackle cackle typing from the great beyond?

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2024 4:07 AM

[quote]. I thought it's either somewhere in the Middle East or Africa.

death valley is VERY LOW altitude. and like the dead sea, it gets hotter when it is that LOW

by Anonymousreply 26July 6, 2024 4:07 AM

[quote] death valley is VERY LOW altitude. and like the dead sea, it gets hotter when it is that LOW

I don't think that's necessarily true, because then it would be hot all year round.

But Death Valley gets cold in the Winter.

by Anonymousreply 27July 6, 2024 4:13 AM

I miss the Portland summers of my 70s childhood. This shit is so exhausting

by Anonymousreply 28July 6, 2024 4:21 AM

Palm Springs broke a heat record today. It is slated to be equally as hot early next week for a day or two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 6, 2024 4:25 AM

Yes. Palm Springs was 122 degrees. 22 degrees above normal. Let that sink in.

by Anonymousreply 30July 6, 2024 4:27 AM

Keep in mind that Summer just started two weeks ago.

Three months to go!

Without a doubt, this will be the hottest year on record.

Most of the country has already experienced temperatures between 90 and 100 already.

by Anonymousreply 31July 6, 2024 4:30 AM

drove up to Oregon from NorCal today and temp was in the 100s the entire way there. The hottest was in Southern OR where it hit...

...117!

I shit you not.

by Anonymousreply 32July 6, 2024 6:53 AM

Phoenix, or the devil’s armpit, just broke a record. 118

by Anonymousreply 33July 6, 2024 12:41 PM

I’m in the DC area this week and it’s been especially miserable. Humidity is making it feel like 105.

by Anonymousreply 34July 6, 2024 1:04 PM

Wow, who knew living in a desert would be hot.

by Anonymousreply 35July 6, 2024 1:11 PM

[quote] Yes. Palm Springs was 122 degrees. 22 degrees above normal. Let that sink in.

It’s summer. Wow!

by Anonymousreply 36July 6, 2024 1:12 PM

"... it gets hotter when it is that LOW"

Because it's closer to Hell, silly.

by Anonymousreply 37July 6, 2024 1:25 PM

r34, philly here and yeah, i agree

by Anonymousreply 38July 6, 2024 1:34 PM

[quote]It’s summer. Wow!

And therein lies the problem. Yes, idiot, we all know that it gets hot in Summer. And unlike you, some of us understand the difference between the weather and the climate. You see, what's alarming is that this is between 15 and 20 degrees [italic]hotter[/italic] than it should be. And, in fact, it's been about 15 to 20 degrees hotter than it should be across the Southwest for about the last month, but since [italic]those[/italic] temperatures were not as hot as it normally gets in July through September, they didn't make the news. And now that we're getting to the really hot part of Summer, the [italic]normal[/italic] increase in daily temperature is having the exact impact we're seeing: broken records, extreme heat and no relief for at least a week.

How the climate change deniers win is that nothing we do today will impact the temperatures today. To avoid the heat increases we're seeing everywhere, we would have had to cut carbon emissions 25 years ago. To avoid the hellscape that we're barrelling toward where we'll see temperatures in the Southwest of 130 - 135 degrees July through September 2035, we'd have had to cut carbon emissions 15 years ago. And to prevent the horror we frankly can't imagine today from happening by 2050, we'd have to essentially stop using fossil fuel today, completely. Obviously, not going to happen any more than we could convince anyone in the 1990s to use 25% less fuel or anyone in 2005 to use 50% less fuel despite all of the advances in technology that made it possible; no, we found new and even more egregious methods of using fossil fuel at a faster rate. For example, AI uses incredible amounts of electricity driving global demand through the roof.

When we finally have the data, I think we'll come to understand that we passed the point of no return between 2000 and 2015. So, we may not have anyplace to cool off in 25 years, but we'll have machines that can explain our folly to us in great detail with more than sufficient evidence that humanity caused its own demise.

by Anonymousreply 39July 6, 2024 4:55 PM

[quote] Wow, who knew living in a desert would be hot.

[quote] Yes. Palm Springs was 122 degrees. 22 degrees above normal. Let that sink in.

[quote] It’s summer. Wow!

R35 and R36 are two of the dumbest cunts who ever cunted!

Climate change deniers.

Your tired old lines are so played out.

by Anonymousreply 40July 6, 2024 5:50 PM

I shall survive this with the assistance of my Pericón fan & castanets.

by Anonymousreply 41July 6, 2024 6:19 PM

R40 is a dope.

by Anonymousreply 42July 6, 2024 6:34 PM

Show us

by Anonymousreply 43July 6, 2024 9:18 PM

[quote] Yes. Palm Springs was 122 degrees. 22 degrees above normal.

It was actually 124F, as the post at R29 quite clearly explained.

The average temperature in July may be 100F, but it's generally between 105-110 at the hottest point of the day.

by Anonymousreply 44July 6, 2024 9:53 PM

[quote] The average temperature in July may be 100F, but it's generally between 105-110 at the hottest point of the day.

Oh my stars, that's even hotter than my snatch after I wear woolen underwear and corduroy pants all summer long.

by Anonymousreply 45July 7, 2024 2:06 AM

If Greg was still posting as Greg. She would undoubtedly have a delightful recipe for disaster she stole from Ina Garten.

by Anonymousreply 46July 7, 2024 3:36 AM

110F in 5 percent humidity is more comfortable than 85F in 70 percent humidity.

by Anonymousreply 47July 7, 2024 4:20 AM

R12, what your article says is that in 2015 some scientists were PREDICTING global cooling between 2030 and 2040. We could all cite a ton of other scientists who weren't. Who GAF what the media was or is hysterical about on any given day of the week?

It IS bullshit to say, as you did, that "a few decades ago" the earth was "getting colder", because since 1900 it has never done more than pause for a bit, at the level it had already reached after furious warming 1900-1940s. If the media of the 1970s-2015 was unable to grasp that it's not particularly surprising, because it's a fact. They have a lot of trouble with those even today, and not just about the climate.

I do understand how history works. History is what man has written. In pre-history, which was the vast majority of your 4.5 billion years, for hundreds of millions of years there was nada here, then bacteria, then some plants, both of which evolved to cope with whatever the climate was doing. Any species that couldn't evolve died out, and to this day nobody cares. Certainly there were climate changes during the billions of years before anything we would identify as an animal arrived, the first of which was probably caused by the contribution of photosynthesis to the atmosphere. Certainly the climate has gone through many natural cycles since animals arrived, but they were not un-survivable by most species already in place. At worst, some species might have moved a bit north or south.

The really major climate changes since the changes caused by the arrival of life on the planet are, as I understand it, mostly thought to have been caused by interventions to the natural climate: supervolcano eruptions capable of blocking out the sun for lengthy periods; major asteroid strikes; and now the industrial revolution. The climate's natural cycles have nothing to do with any of the three of these. If we got a series of supervolcano eruptions between now and 2050 it's true, we wouldn't have to worry about global warming, because most of us would freeze to death, as would our food sources. It would not, however, be a natural climate cycle any more than the warming we're currently seeing is.

by Anonymousreply 48July 7, 2024 8:17 AM

Thanks for writing that, I wanted to but you did it better

by Anonymousreply 49July 7, 2024 11:47 AM

Carter Evans of CBS news takes his thermometer around Vegas... lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 9, 2024 2:48 AM

R50 - Did he pull it out of his rectum first?

by Anonymousreply 51July 9, 2024 12:04 PM

No R51, but I'm going to shove my 12 inch microphone up YOUR ass, and pull it out of your mouth!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 9, 2024 12:10 PM

I wonder how folks in Texas are holding up.

Areas hit by Hurricane Beryl are at 105, along with millions experiencing power outages.

Can you imagine?

Hope Texan DLers & all Texans are doing OK.

by Anonymousreply 53July 9, 2024 8:42 PM

[quote] I wonder how folks in Texas are holding up.

I don't care. Do you?

by Anonymousreply 54July 9, 2024 8:45 PM

I’m sure ted Cruz is in Mexico

by Anonymousreply 55July 9, 2024 8:53 PM

96 in Seattle today.

It's definitely the end times.

by Anonymousreply 56July 10, 2024 12:39 AM

Sounds horrible.

by Anonymousreply 57July 10, 2024 11:10 AM

^ True, as if being in Seattle wasn't hellish enough.

by Anonymousreply 58July 10, 2024 11:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!