Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lost Angel: The Genius of Judee Sill 2024 documentary now streaming on major outlets

I never really "got" Judee Sill through the years..... this film really captures her and the early 70s /

"The never-before-told story of folk-rock icon Judee Sill, who in just two years went from living in a car to appearing on the cover of Rolling Stone. The documentary charts her troubled adolescence through her meteoric rise in the music world and early tragic death. Featuring Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Fleet Foxes, David Geffen, and more."

I would love to hear what Datalounge thinks of David Geffen's last remarks when questioned about allegedly being called a homophobic slur by Judee onstage after lackluster album sales

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2024 4:14 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2024 5:15 AM

I'm old and have never heard of Judee Sill.

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2024 5:42 AM

What R2 said.

by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2024 7:09 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2024 7:11 AM

I discovered her very recently. She was certainly brilliantly talented, but her style was not appreciated widely enough to be commercial at that time. Drugs, bad luck and poor management probably played a part. Her story reminds me of Nick Drake, another great songwriter only given popular recognition when it was too late.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2024 7:20 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2024 1:18 PM

She looks like Mama Cass on Ozempic.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2024 1:21 PM

Uglee.

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2024 2:24 PM

I love her music - didn't discover it until about 15 years ago but some of the stuff on Heart Food is beautifully otherworldly.

Just watched this tonight. Very nicely done, especially considering they had NO interviews and only a small amount of live footage of her. (Which sort of lends credence to the idea that maybe David Geffen and his label were not promoting her in the way he suggests they were.)

by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2024 4:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!