Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

All About Eva Marie Saint in "North by Northwest"

Happy 100th birthday to Eva Marie Saint. A class act, on-screen and off! Here's my look at one of her best, 1959's "North by Northwest." Her bad girl/good girl Eve Kendall is one of the best Hitchcock blondes. Saint's smart and sexy persona pairs perfectly with Cary Grant. My take on Eva as Eve in "NBNW":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2024 12:33 AM

Everyone remembers the red and black dress she wore.

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2024 12:04 AM

Great film available for viewing on Tubi.

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2024 12:22 AM

I love. James Mason.

by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2024 12:23 AM

Eva looks chic, Cary looks dapper, and the wonderful Bernard Hermann score helps to keep things rolling along.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2024 12:42 AM

It’s one of the most entertaining films ever made. If I’m flipping channels and I see it on, I stop whatever I’m doing and watch it.

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2024 1:38 AM

When I went to Mt. Rushmore, I went to the cafeteria just so I could reminisce about the smart, classy, entertaining film that is NBNW.

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2024 2:31 AM

For anyone who watches TCM, she's the star of the month for July, every Thursday evening...

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2024 11:40 AM

This is possibly my favourite film, if I had to name one. Eve Kendall was sexy to even young gay me. And then the men...

It's satisfying in so many ways but mostly visually.

I especially love the corny ending with the train entering the tunnel.

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2024 11:54 AM

I love nearly all of it except that phony driving scene when Cary is supposed to be drunk and he is obviously in front of rear screen projection.

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2024 12:28 PM

I find her sexless. Same with Kim Novak and Vera Miles. Tippi Hedren was sexy-ish, but too stiff. Grace Kelly…she was sexy as hell. Couldn’t act for shit, but she was sexy. Hitchcock could never replace her, though he tried.

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2024 1:11 PM

I'm wondering about my earrings.

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2024 2:27 PM

Here's Eva Marie Saint with Robert Osborne at the TCM Film Festival a decade ago...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2024 3:32 PM

She has a small part in [italic]Winter's Tale[/italic]. I was so happy to see her again.

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2024 5:15 PM

R10 Vera Miles was sexy when she was an ingenue in Hitchcock's TV show episode "Revenge".

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2024 1:42 AM

EMS was so awful in GRAND PRIX - I just have to look away......

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2024 1:43 PM

She was so relaxed and appealing in that movie. I loved her Osborne interview. Her husband was in the audience and you could tell how close they were. 100 years old. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2024 12:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!