Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYT: Why you shouldn’t vote

How is this newspaper still running?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 9, 2024 5:52 AM

The writer:

Mr. Walther is the editor of The Lamp, a Catholic literary journal, and a contributing Opinion writer.

Is he’s a devout Catholic, then, dude, please DO NOT VOTE!

by Anonymousreply 1July 4, 2024 7:41 PM

^If he’s a…

by Anonymousreply 2July 4, 2024 7:41 PM

why I won't subscribe and haven't in over a decade

by Anonymousreply 3July 4, 2024 7:42 PM

Surprise!

[quote]To everyone appalled by NYT's July 4 op-ed "Why I don't vote. And maybe you shouldn't either", note that 1) author Matthew Walther DID vote in both 2020 and 2022, and 2) he's an extremist Catholic graduate of Hillsdale College, part of the religious-right faction behind Jan 6.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 4, 2024 7:44 PM

An unvote is a Trump vote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 4, 2024 7:47 PM

I canceled my subscription months ago and don't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2024 7:52 PM

R4. Bingo!

The author’s choice adds another vote to Column D!

by Anonymousreply 7July 4, 2024 7:53 PM

Why I won't wear a red ribbon... Oh, wait, on on the wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 8July 4, 2024 7:54 PM

I’m not voting. I live in a blood red Trumper state and my measly one Biden vote doesn’t count. So I’m just not going to vote— it’s pointless thanks to the electoral college.

by Anonymousreply 9July 4, 2024 7:57 PM

R9 Down ticket candidates need support.

by Anonymousreply 10July 4, 2024 8:00 PM

Yes, vote anyway r9, just as a gesture that you still give a fuck about this country and its future.

by Anonymousreply 11July 4, 2024 8:01 PM

R9, I live in Texas. My presidential vote has never made a difference, but senate and house races still matter as do the state races.

by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2024 8:06 PM

Whatever, R9.

Though I live in one of THE reddest of Southern states, and ALWAYS vote Blue, I'm not interested in arguing with an anonymous poster. But if you're a Democrat or Indy, I do hope you'll at least for your local and state Democratic nominees, both up and down the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2024 8:06 PM

[quote] How is this newspaper still running?

Generational wealth. NYTimes is at least 3 generations of Sulzbergers. That’s means they had plenty of money to invest in 1980s and 1990s during tech boom and the insider trading continues. They’re fabulously wealthy. They went to same schools as politicians and CEOs. They’re all pals. We’re the dopes.

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2024 8:29 PM

Originally published with the headline "Why I Don't Vote." After it was revealed the author voted in 2020 and 2022, NYT stealthy changed the headline to "Why I Won't Vote."

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2024 8:37 PM

disgusting, probably an incel too

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2024 8:39 PM

R12, I'm another Texan in a solid blue county, safely blue congressional district and I'll be voting. We all know Trump will win the state, but there are down ballot races that are more competitive. If we could somehow throw that smug ass, unlikable Ted Cruz out of office for Colin Allred, it would be a great day for Texas. Anything to disrupt the Republican stranglehold on the state is a plus.

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2024 8:49 PM

Another reason to vote:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 4, 2024 9:16 PM

It’s an opinion piece.

by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2024 9:49 PM

R19 understands… sigh.

by Anonymousreply 20July 4, 2024 9:51 PM

Jesus, r4...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 4, 2024 9:57 PM

Paywalled!

by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2024 10:03 PM

[quote]It’s an opinion piece.

That gets a bright light shined on it that it doesn't deserve.

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2024 10:03 PM

"To everyone appalled by NYT's July 4 op-ed "Why I don't vote. And maybe you shouldn't either", note that 1) author Matthew Walther DID vote in both 2020 and 2022, and 2) he's an extremist Catholic graduate of Hillsdale College, part of the religious-right faction behind Jan 6.

Walther voted in both 2020 and 2022. (His Michigan voting record was posted by Timothy Burke on Bluesky.) In fact Waltjer wrote an entire essay about voting. The NYT did not do the most basic fact-checking. Even an op-ed shouldn't be a lie.

This account has written often about how Hillsdale was a driving force behind Jan 5. The "1776 Commission", chaired by Hillsdale president Larry Arnn, was the quid pro quo for support of Trump's coup - letting the religious right control US education.

Hillsdale, which runs a network of for-profit charters, was all in for the coup. Three Hillsdale officers helped with the MI fake-elector scheme: its president (Arnn), general counsel, & DC Dean. Even the NYT covered it, though they omit key texts showing Arnn was in the loop.

Hillsdale was a "feeder of staffers" for Trump. Hillsdale set his education agenda (via Betsy DeVos). In 2020 Hillsdale officials met with fake electors; Hillsdale graduates filed election-fraud lawsuits. The NYT article just scratches the surface.

On Jan 6, Hillsdale president Larry Arnn was out and about in DC, taking pictures with rally-goers. He'd come to DC to chair the one and only meeting of the "1776 Commission", hastily called by Trump for Jan 5 - to design an education agenda for a 2nd Trump term.

If anyone doubts Walther's Hitler-esque photo, it comes from a 2023 article by Hillsdale College's own newspaper. Everyone signed off on this look. (Note: Walther's often called a Hillsdale graduate, but seems he didn't quite finish his degree...)

There's so much more on Hillsdale. The Prince/DeVos support. (It's Erik Prince's alma mater). The charter and vouchers scams. The tie to Moms for Liberty. This is who NYT editors think Americans should hear on July 4. Do we really trust these guys on what's good for democracy?

Coda: NOW the NYT is editing! First title: "Why I don't vote. And why maybe you shouldn't either". Then just: "Why I don't vote". Now they realize the lie: title suddenly is "Why I won't vote" (graphic not changed though). Archived link is from 10 AM."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2024 10:51 PM

[quote] disgusting, probably an incel too

Enough with the incel crap, frau. Find another word.

by Anonymousreply 25July 4, 2024 10:52 PM

"Q&A: MATTHEW WALTHER

Matthew Walther is the editor of The Lamp, a Catholic literary journal, and a contributor to the New York Times..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2024 10:53 PM

[quote] It’s an opinion piece.

No shit, Einstein.

by Anonymousreply 27July 4, 2024 10:54 PM

He looks 12.

by Anonymousreply 28July 4, 2024 10:54 PM

Nice Hitler haircut

by Anonymousreply 29July 4, 2024 10:55 PM

Catholic and Hillsdale is an odd mix. The op-ed reads like something a smart high school edgelord would write.

by Anonymousreply 30July 4, 2024 10:57 PM

More on Hillsdale. Don't let these freaks take Democracy from us. Don't let them take away everything you've worked for and dream of having.

"Nashville’s entangled ‘Prayer Trade’ is a warning to the rest of the country

'God,' we might say, is big business and big politics, too, in Nashville."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 4, 2024 10:58 PM

This is what I think of polls and opinion pieces

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 4, 2024 11:01 PM

Mick Mulvaney was such a worm.

by Anonymousreply 33July 4, 2024 11:08 PM

The media is complicit by having these 'all opinions should be heard' position. They give equal time to radical positions that are not held by 50% of the people.

by Anonymousreply 34July 4, 2024 11:12 PM

^ Exactly, I have an opinion that's better than this joker's. Where's my piece? 😠

by Anonymousreply 35July 4, 2024 11:16 PM

R9 Same here, but I'm in California where the Dems should be business as usual. Down tickets too.

Literally nothing will change whether I vote or don't.

by Anonymousreply 36July 4, 2024 11:18 PM

Bless your heart, r36.

by Anonymousreply 37July 4, 2024 11:22 PM

[quote]Literally nothing will change whether I vote or don't.

Hey everybody in California, r36 says don't bother voting. Got it? Cuz ya know...

[quote]Dems should be business as usual. Down tickets too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 4, 2024 11:28 PM

What a FUCKING IDIOT. I wrote him and told him just that.

by Anonymousreply 39July 5, 2024 2:24 AM

such a weird little piece. Don't vote, because voting is like being in a slave patrol or part of a rotten borough before the English Reform Bill, or something. Very odd and pointless the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 40July 5, 2024 2:27 AM

[quote]R19: It’s an opinion piece.

And the NYT is responsible for platforming it.

They've really gone completely over to the right, haven't they?

by Anonymousreply 41July 5, 2024 2:52 AM

The problem with not voting because you view one of the candidates as the lessor of two evils is you help to elect the greater of two evils.

by Anonymousreply 42July 5, 2024 2:53 AM

always

by Anonymousreply 43July 5, 2024 2:54 AM

Yes, I care deeply about the non-voting habits of a single Catlick crackpot.

by Anonymousreply 44July 5, 2024 2:58 AM

that he is given a voice in a major news source is the subject, not his ugly ass, bunky

by Anonymousreply 45July 5, 2024 2:59 AM

… and that is why I only use the NYT for Wordle.

by Anonymousreply 46July 5, 2024 3:24 AM

"The problem with not voting because you view one of the candidates as the lessor of two evils is you help to elect the greater of two evils."

Please explain beyond "DEMOCRACY! EVERY VOTE COUNTS!!!" Because they don't.

by Anonymousreply 47July 5, 2024 3:26 AM

Vote, or dont vote - but IF you dont vote, dont go bitching about the outcome.

I always vote myself

by Anonymousreply 48July 5, 2024 8:11 AM

They're committed to a "diversity of viewpoints" which is a fancy way of saying that they'll publish some truly asinine shit written by certified idiots. It's the reason Ross Douthat writes a NYT column instead of working at Chick-fil-A.

by Anonymousreply 49July 5, 2024 9:53 AM

False Headline Troll gets the old ff.

by Anonymousreply 50July 5, 2024 12:46 PM

Hillsdale College is well known to Michiganders to be a conservative wingnut college. I hope the NYTs runs a piece to counter this one.

by Anonymousreply 51July 5, 2024 1:24 PM

I hope the NYT acknowledges they changed the title of the essay.

by Anonymousreply 52July 5, 2024 1:42 PM

[quote] Please explain beyond "DEMOCRACY! EVERY VOTE COUNTS!!!" Because they don't.

No each individual vote rarely ever counts but there have been elections that are decide on a coin toss, but you get a few thousand people who just decide to sit it out and that does count.

I am a Democrat in a very red state, my vote never counts for much but I vote in nearly every general election, I did skip the last primary because there was only one contested race on the Democratic ballot and that race wasn't even close. Republicans vote and they vote en mass that is why they win so many seats despite there often being fewer of them.

by Anonymousreply 53July 5, 2024 2:16 PM

Even Douthat isn't as loony as this guy.

Will we be seeing an op-ed from MTG next?

by Anonymousreply 54July 5, 2024 2:21 PM

[uote]No each individual vote rarely ever counts but there have been elections that are decide on a coin toss, but you get a few thousand people who just decide to sit it out and that does count.

statisticians have pointed out (the UK election in point) that elections these days are often decided by those who stay home and don't vote, the election inevitably going to the party they wouldn't have voted for

by Anonymousreply 55July 5, 2024 2:24 PM

R55 If you're in a state where the electoral college vote is almost guaranteed to go for one candidate, Alabama and California as examples, I don't get the logic that your vote or nonvote makes a difference. Even with abysmal voter turnout, Alabama will go to Trump and California to Biden. If someone wants to sit out because they don't like either, doing so is largely inconsequential.

I'm of the opinon that voting for the lesser of two evils is not really a choice. It's pandering to the greater of two evils. I can't fault those who aren't happy this situation and I think you will see that will play to the Republican's advantage in November. Don't blame nonvoters or Republicans. Ask the DNC why they couldn't get a candidate that its own party is largely happy to support.

by Anonymousreply 56July 5, 2024 9:59 PM

If you are in a Red State, if you are in a swing state

YOUR VOTE COUNTS.

It counts for President, it counts for Senator, it counts for dog catcher. If you don't show up, you are giving your votes to Republicans. This is what they want. Don't give your votes to the enemy.

by Anonymousreply 57July 5, 2024 10:05 PM

And inept Democrats aren't the enemy? They're literally driving people away from the party and polls.

by Anonymousreply 58July 5, 2024 10:08 PM

I've dropped friends who tell me they don't vote. Oh, they're just not political. Fuck stupid people!

by Anonymousreply 59July 5, 2024 11:35 PM

It's an opinion piece.

by Anonymousreply 60July 5, 2024 11:37 PM

R59 Political people are tiresome. Your friends are probably glad they don't have to listen to your drivel anymore.

by Anonymousreply 61July 6, 2024 4:23 PM

I was a subscriber to the NYT for over 30 years, and for a while longer when it became basically digital only. Their headlines and op-eds are an anathema to the journalistic integrity they stood by for over 150 years. I unsubscribed when they were continuously normalizing Trump during his presidency. I don't regret it one bit. Sometimes someone will link me an article and I will sigh at their own pathetic spiral they have allowed.

by Anonymousreply 62July 6, 2024 5:01 PM

R30, I heard this a lot after Butker gave his commencement speech, that Catholics aren't this conservative. There are pockets of ultra-conservative Catholics all over the U.S., and I met them in Wichita KS, Phoenix AZ, and in northern Indiana. Some of them belong to Latin rite movements; other belong to charismatic Catholic factions. Their politics and religious beliefs are aligned with many Baptists' or Pentecostals' attitudes..

by Anonymousreply 63July 6, 2024 6:50 PM

That's just a reheated version of Reagan's "I didn't leave the Democratic party, the party left me", r58. It's fine if you want to be more socially conservative in your old age, no need to pretend that Democrats are incompetent fanatics.

by Anonymousreply 64July 9, 2024 12:09 AM

I really think we ought to be organizing a total boycott of mainstream media because they are clearly not standing up for Democracy. First they continue the relentless bullying of Biden, which causes him to be defiant. They have left him no graceful exit. If he leaves under these circumstances it will d amage the party going into November. The people who've stood by him would look ridiculous and the people who joined in with the bullies would look small and ugly. I firmly believe if Biden had some space and an exit ramp he would have concluded that he was ready to pass the torch. But the problem is that he went through all the primaries, and he's only a few months younger than he is now, right? ANd he has united his party as he did in 2020. So to simply walk away now would fuck everything up and the party would fragment into a mess. But rationality seems beyond the reach of our media. So BOYCOTT all of them. The Times, CNN ABC NBC CNBC< Fox, and the rest. They're fucking us. They're not to be trusted. I get my news off NPR and the BBC. Get get the traffic, weather and Mayhem news from my local stations, and I stay informed. I also have found solace in reading business publications. Lots of good information to be had there. But we need to stop this bullshit with the NYT and CNN most especially and the rest of them too. There's a lot going on. Trump has literally been hiding for ten f ucking days. No coverage at all. he has disappeared from the headlines. That is simply unacceptable.

by Anonymousreply 65July 9, 2024 12:18 AM

I know I haven't been watching the networks like I used to prior to the debate. At this point, I'm down to the BBC because they aren't spending the majority of their airtime on Biden's age and whether he will drop out of the race or not. When they do mention it, I'll briefly change the channel and return once they finish and move on. The American networks are obsessed with it and are now ignoring the Trump campaign's lies and the extremist rhetoric coming from him, his endorsed candidates and his supporters that any other politician would have been raked over the coals for. I find it all unbelievable, disgusting and stressful.

by Anonymousreply 66July 9, 2024 3:35 AM

NYT is basically trolling America at this point. Why don't they just come out and say it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 9, 2024 5:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!