Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grantchester has yet another young, hunky vicar who enjoys solving crime

What a happy coincidence for Geordie.

He’s “swarthy.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 17, 2024 2:28 PM

Oi, fit vicar!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 4, 2024 1:34 PM

I thought the phrase was a "dishy vicar"... wasn't there one on Keeping Up Appearances and years later on Call the Midwife?

The new buddy for Geordie is, indeed, attractive.

by Anonymousreply 2July 4, 2024 1:38 PM

I have a certain tolerance for replacing the lead in a successful series with a nearly identical character. But twice? Couldn’t they try something a little different the third time? I mean more different than making him “swarthy.”

Three successive hunky, single, straight, crime-solving vicars with sporty vehicles one small village seems . . . unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 3July 4, 2024 1:46 PM

Father Brown didn't want to move.

by Anonymousreply 4July 4, 2024 1:48 PM

*swoon*

by Anonymousreply 5July 4, 2024 1:49 PM

Barf.

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2024 2:05 PM

R6 is racist.

by Anonymousreply 7July 4, 2024 2:18 PM

At least they made a joke about Geordie having a “thing for vicars.”

by Anonymousreply 8July 4, 2024 2:26 PM

I guess by establishing that Mrs. C misses being a housekeeper (really?), but could not get along with the Keatings, they are setting up her return to the vicarage. In other words, they don’t know what to do with the character but want to keep her around.

by Anonymousreply 9July 4, 2024 2:30 PM

An Indian vicar? Give me a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 10July 4, 2024 2:30 PM

[quote]Three successive hunky, single, straight, crime-solving vicars with sporty vehicles one small village seems . . . unlikely.

Three successive hunky, single, straight, MALE crime-solving vicars with sporty vehicles one small village seems . . . unlikely.

Maybe they could've switched it up with a FEMALE vicar.

by Anonymousreply 11July 4, 2024 2:30 PM

R7 has never spoken to an Indian and HATES curry.

by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2024 2:34 PM

What next?

A Hottentot?

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2024 2:34 PM

They didn’t have women priests until the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2024 2:36 PM

He's cute but it really should b e a black trans woman lesbian playing the part.

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2024 2:49 PM

A vicar with the best hair and make up team in town.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2024 2:55 PM

Woke still not over

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2024 3:14 PM

He’s no Mr. Pamuk.

by Anonymousreply 18July 4, 2024 3:21 PM

My guilty pleasure. Geordie and Bronn from Game of Thrones do very hip Dad dances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2024 3:52 PM

He's good looking, but Tom Brittney is a tough act to follow.

by Anonymousreply 20July 4, 2024 3:52 PM

James Norton was a tough act to follow.

by Anonymousreply 21July 4, 2024 3:56 PM

Poor Leonard is going to need a bigger drool bucket - I saw him giving the new 'Dishy Vicar' the once over and he looked as though he was going to faint!

by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2024 4:27 PM

Poor Leonard is the homeliest gay who ever gayed.

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2024 9:04 PM

When did the Grantchester vicarage get a cutting of the Bridgerton ever-blooming wisteria?

by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2024 9:08 PM

Does the new Sad Vicar not own a razor? He can keep the beard -- although surely that's not period, but then very little about this show is anymoe -- just shave the neck.

Poor Dickens, aNOTHER new master, Christ...

by Anonymousreply 25July 4, 2024 9:10 PM

Beautiful Indian man. Love his chest hair and brown skin.

by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2024 9:14 PM

Why would they leave Dickens? A family with kids leaves the pet dog? No.

by Anonymousreply 27July 4, 2024 9:15 PM

Apparently the dog goes with the house.

by Anonymousreply 28July 4, 2024 9:17 PM

Well, they did! I was surprised, too. I guess he belongs to the vicarage. Just needs a white collar.

by Anonymousreply 29July 4, 2024 9:18 PM

And a better vicar.

by Anonymousreply 30July 4, 2024 9:19 PM

They really need to stop being so racist and replace the dog with a cow.

by Anonymousreply 31July 4, 2024 9:23 PM

I had to laugh — it only took about 10 minutes for the new Sad Vicar to get his shirt off (and the camera practically licked him while he took it off). Very shortly thereafter: an establishing shot of the Blue Ball Pub. C’mon, show… That said, he’s quite handsome and looks good shirtless. Still, that’s probably the only time he will be as one shirtless vicar scene per season seems to be the going rate.

I wonder what’s Sad about this vicar. Sidney had PTSD, and Will had RBDI (Rich Boy Daddy Issues).

by Anonymousreply 32July 5, 2024 1:44 AM

R22, They seem to be setting something up between Leonard and that new do-gooder who’s hanging around his halfway house. I’m wondering if he’ll come between Leonard and his boyfriend. If so, Leonard’s batting 1000 getting two guys who are way better looking than he is. But I keep thinking New Guy isn’t what he seems.

R24, yeah do they have to replace the fake wisteria after a rain? After a couple of days of sun bleach the color out? Do they have to dust/vacuum them daily?

R25, totally agree, why not shave his neck? Is that supposed to make him badass?

I kind of love how they’ve embraced the ridiculous anachronisms — this whole series clearly started as a “hot” alternative to Father Brown. So why not go whole hog?

by Anonymousreply 33July 5, 2024 1:57 PM

Dyke drama on this week's PBS episode.

by Anonymousreply 34July 9, 2024 2:56 PM

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ nipples

by Anonymousreply 35July 9, 2024 3:02 PM

Because of the New Vicar(OMG I love Indian men who look like that), I already watched the entire season of Grantchester on PBS Passport.

LOVE the series, LOVE that car& LOVE Dickens.

by Anonymousreply 36July 9, 2024 3:23 PM

Yum! I guess I'll have to pay for no commercials on Amazon Prime to watch.

by Anonymousreply 37July 9, 2024 3:54 PM

[quote] They seem to be setting something up between Leonard and that new do-gooder who’s hanging around his halfway house. I’m wondering if he’ll come between Leonard and his boyfriend. If so, Leonard’s batting 1000 getting two guys who are way better looking than he is. But I keep thinking New Guy isn’t what he seems.

Oops.

by Anonymousreply 38July 9, 2024 3:56 PM

The rich are different.

They’re twits.

by Anonymousreply 39July 9, 2024 3:58 PM

Maybe the new vicar’s secret is that he’s gay. The two gay-related mysteries he’s been involved in may be foreshadowing.

by Anonymousreply 40July 9, 2024 4:26 PM

R10 and R17, what is wrong with you? Nothing woke about this.

Do you realize there are over twenty million Catholics in India?

by Anonymousreply 41July 9, 2024 4:36 PM

The Vicar is not Catholic

by Anonymousreply 42July 9, 2024 4:41 PM

Yeah -- the last one got married -- that should've been a clue.

by Anonymousreply 43July 9, 2024 6:49 PM

I covet Sad Vicar’s red Triumph and wish he’d take me for a ride, if you know what I mean and I think you do. And he doesn’t need a housekeeper, Mrs. C., he needs a boyfriend who won’t make him deviled kidneys (yeesh, that looked vile, and I don’t dislike kidneys).

Also: Daniel’s hair looks completely different this season. Darker and… more of it in the front. Mrs. C’s and Kathy’s wigs wouldn’t move in a typhoon.

by Anonymousreply 44July 10, 2024 1:38 AM

They could really stir things up if Dishy Desi Vicar hits on Esme.

by Anonymousreply 45July 10, 2024 3:09 AM

Pretty sure that a wig he's sorting. Has it already been mentioned? I haven't read the entire thread.

It's impossible these days to tell what year this is taking place. Horrible costumes and wigs/hair.

by Anonymousreply 46July 10, 2024 3:22 AM

sporting, not sorting

by Anonymousreply 47July 10, 2024 3:24 AM

I think it’s supposed to be up to 1961 chronologically.

I watched the whole season on the PBS premium streamer, it was a cut or two above the last couple of seasons and Rishi Nair is quite good, seems more engaged and less bland than Tom Brittney, whose unerring decency was getting pretty boring.

by Anonymousreply 48July 16, 2024 3:13 AM

They had oral contraceptives in the most recent episode. They started becoming available from the NHS in the UK in late 1961. I'd say we're a bit past that.

by Anonymousreply 49July 16, 2024 3:20 AM

r46 Not a wig, young Indian men famously tend to have incredible hair. It's a shame it starts falling out rapidly in their middle age, though.

by Anonymousreply 50July 16, 2024 3:24 AM

Speaking of Rishi's hair: So he spends the night with a comely co-ed and gets dressed in the morning with his hair looking *exactly* the same, not a strand out of place (and no shirtless scene because we already had one in the premiere, and only one is apparently allowed per season). Then he swans out of her dorm room like he owns the place, even after she made a fuss the night before about not letting him get caught there because she'd get in trouble. C'mon, show... In other news, I covet his suede (?) jacket. (The mysteries are so wan I spend my time looking at the production details. And, agreed, Nair is an improvement over the bland Brittany.)

by Anonymousreply 51July 25, 2024 8:11 PM

I think she’d get in trouble for having a man in the college at night; not in the daytime

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 25, 2024 9:51 PM

First time I want Nair in my ass and not just on my balls.

by Anonymousreply 53July 25, 2024 9:57 PM

They keep alluding to something between Daniel and mysterious new age platitudes-speaking guy who seems to be a grifter?

by Anonymousreply 54July 25, 2024 10:31 PM

Maybe Sam (the possible grifter) did Daniel's new hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 55July 25, 2024 10:52 PM

Already watch the entire season of Passport, the season finale is wonderful.

Of course, I love Grantchester.

by Anonymousreply 56July 26, 2024 2:48 PM

Looks like he might have a nice, hairy anus

by Anonymousreply 57July 26, 2024 7:51 PM

This week’s killer went rather quickly from “why would I kill him?” to a total confession.

by Anonymousreply 58July 30, 2024 4:49 AM

I want to lick that chocolate daddy all over.

by Anonymousreply 59July 30, 2024 4:51 AM

Well R58, she did commit murder for the good of Sam/Way Finders... very Squeaky Fromme. So do Leonard, dishy vicar Alphy, and Geordie rescue Daniel from the cult in the season finale?

Will Leonard finally get his happy ending?

by Anonymousreply 60July 30, 2024 9:08 AM

I can't imagine homely Leonard ever being happy. Sometimes I wished Daniel would shake him senseless and yell, "Snap out of it!" No wonder Daniel is drawn to creepy Sam.

I love the new vicar. The character has a sense of humor and Rishi is hot - a big improvement over Brittany, whose character was too earnest and who had an awkwardness about him whenever he walked. Plus Brittany didn't look particularly appealing, even when he wore a leather jacket and got on his motorcycle.

by Anonymousreply 61July 30, 2024 10:03 AM

The only three things Mama’s mussy is concerned about when taking a rather well endowed Indian gentleman-

Hurry, worry, and curry!

by Anonymousreply 62July 30, 2024 10:20 AM

I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 63July 30, 2024 12:02 PM

I love the show, but I could have lived without knowing about Sylvia’s “dryness down there”.

by Anonymousreply 64July 30, 2024 12:08 PM

Such a garbage show, insincere and hateful about its characters.

And the vicars are always low dogs who don't do their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 65July 30, 2024 12:51 PM

[quote]Will Leonard finally get his happy ending?

I'm sure Mrs. Chapman would be happy to give him one.

by Anonymousreply 66July 30, 2024 12:53 PM

[quote]And the vicars are always low dogs who don't do their jobs.

He only has like 9 parishioners. How much work can that be?

by Anonymousreply 67July 30, 2024 12:54 PM

Police work seems to consist of eliminating the obvious suspect then having the other suspect get tired of getting away with murder and confess.

by Anonymousreply 68July 30, 2024 1:01 PM

[quote] Such a garbage show, insincere and hateful about its characters.

I never watched the show beyond it's very first episode. Was thinking about making a second attempt and start with Nair's episodes. Can you explain what you mean with insincere and hateful?

by Anonymousreply 69July 30, 2024 1:48 PM

[quote]He only has like 9 parishioners.

Yeah because every week someone dies and there's almost no one left.

by Anonymousreply 70July 30, 2024 2:05 PM

Isn’t this the 2nd woman this season that the vicar snogged and who ended up being the murderer?

by Anonymousreply 71July 30, 2024 3:01 PM

Perhaps he would have better luck snogging a man.

by Anonymousreply 72July 30, 2024 4:57 PM

I want the old bag housekeeper to come back, bolt the whole current and past clerics in that den of iniquity they all have flounced about it and burn it to the ground.

In the name of Jebus Crisp.

by Anonymousreply 73July 31, 2024 11:48 PM

I believe Hot Vicar's scorecard to date is Snog: 1, Shag: 1.

And I say this nearly every season: Where is the rest of the vicar's staff? Is there no choir, no choirmaster, no sexton, no deacons, no elders, no ladies floral altar committee, janitor, etc.? Have the show's creators never read a Barbara Pym novel? There are plenty of plot shenanigans to be had in the inner workings of a small church. I guess all those employees/volunteers were murdered in the off seasons.

by Anonymousreply 74August 1, 2024 6:50 PM

[quote]Where is the rest of the vicar's staff?

Perhaps they all left with the congregation.

by Anonymousreply 75August 1, 2024 7:44 PM

[quote]Where is the rest of the vicar's staff? I

They converted to Catholicism and moved to Kembleford.

by Anonymousreply 76August 2, 2024 1:18 AM

Syrupy finale.

Suppose it was foolish to expect anything but.

Still, they threw up so many flares, it’s all to convenient to have everyone together and happy at the end.

by Anonymousreply 77August 6, 2024 3:46 PM

I mean, the woman sending coded messages about the bad guy’s real name, what’s the point?? Just send one anonymous letter with the facts.

I really don’t like Geordie’s secretary falling for Larry. Larry was good as the chump and she was funny snarking on him.

by Anonymousreply 78August 6, 2024 4:10 PM

What kind of ledger comes with a book cover? Why would John Amos have taken out his ledger (or what he thought was his ledger) in the victim’s apartment (fingerprint in model paint)? What was the point of having the dead guy switch the ledger with another book? Having done that, why hide the ledger inside that other book’s cover and put it in your bookcase where anyone looking for the ledger would surely look for it?

by Anonymousreply 79August 6, 2024 4:20 PM

[quote]I really don’t like Geordie’s secretary falling for Larry. Larry was good as the chump and she was funny snarking on him.

Well, since Larry's injury, they now have one good pair of arms.

by Anonymousreply 80August 6, 2024 4:48 PM

This series knows how to create the superficial trappings of mystery clues, so that the characters can go through the motions of solving mysteries, but it’s too lazy to citrate any genuine mystery and the cases are usually resolved by the perp doing something completely irrational anyway (like confessing when there’s no evidence or shooting at police), so none of it matters.

by Anonymousreply 81August 6, 2024 4:48 PM

^create

by Anonymousreply 82August 6, 2024 4:49 PM

It’s based on a book series, isn’t it? Are the books just as lame?

by Anonymousreply 83August 6, 2024 4:51 PM

I’m trying to remember if the first season was just as lazy. I suspect not, but I don’t remember.

by Anonymousreply 84August 6, 2024 5:01 PM

The season finale felt as if it could have been a series finale. Perhaps it was done that way in case it wasn’t coming back for a 10th season, which it is.

by Anonymousreply 85August 6, 2024 5:03 PM

Perhaps that’s the whole premise. Put a guy in a Priest’s collar on the case so the criminals just confess.

by Anonymousreply 86August 6, 2024 5:06 PM

I have a brown on white crime down me knickers I need him to solve for me, if you catch my drift.

by Anonymousreply 87August 6, 2024 6:09 PM

[quote]I have a brown on white crime down me knickers I need him to solve for me, if you catch my drift.

The thought of that just cured my “dryness down there”.

by Anonymousreply 88August 6, 2024 7:50 PM

This thread is too naughty by half! Shame the show's not made in that same vein, they really should know their main audience.

by Anonymousreply 89August 6, 2024 7:54 PM

The replacements for Sidney Chambers (James Norton) were hunky enough, but it's just not the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 6, 2024 8:24 PM

It’s a small-scale, period soap opera posing as a police procedural/murder mystery .

by Anonymousreply 91August 6, 2024 8:26 PM

R91 Yes but it actually worked. It was based on a series of short stories, and it was well directed.

by Anonymousreply 92August 7, 2024 12:07 AM

[quote]I’m trying to remember if the first season was just as lazy. I suspect not, but I don’t remember.

Season 1 and 2 had the vicar lusting after Morven Christie. Then Vic ran away to America with a black woman to fight for civil rights in the US. 🙄 Robson Green has only ever been the reason to watch it because that man has sex appeal aplenty.

by Anonymousreply 93August 7, 2024 1:53 AM

[quote]Where is the rest of the vicar's staff? Is there no choir, no choirmaster, no sexton, no deacons, no elders, no ladies floral altar committee, janitor, etc.?

They up and moved to Midsomer which has a more likely chance they’ll get murdered. They like to live dangerously.

by Anonymousreply 94August 7, 2024 1:58 AM

They had no reason for slandering the good name of Gordy the weatherman. Damn, damn, damn!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 7, 2024 2:00 AM

Why don't we have vicars (hunky or otherwise) and curates in the US?

by Anonymousreply 96August 9, 2024 7:47 PM

[quote]Why don't we have vicars (hunky or otherwise) and curates in the US?

Because the US didn’t conquer lands with beautiful people. Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico? What are they going to do for you?

by Anonymousreply 97August 9, 2024 9:06 PM

[quote]New seasons of Grantchester and DI Ray bring the copaganda conversation to PBS

Essay on "cop propaganda" in Grantchester and how it's handled compared to American shows.

Mainly posted for the sexy photo. Look how beautiful that immaculately white collar looks on his brown skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 17, 2024 2:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!