Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has a health scare or talk with your doctor changed your diet or exercise habits?

Partner and I were just talking about his female friend, whose mother died of breast cancer and is panicked about i, She's 45, weight 230 at 5'7" and has breast MRIs and mammograms regularly. These are always a crisis for her and my partner and other friends go with her to hold her hand. She is a heavy drinker, is substantially overweight and eats foods that enhance her cancer risk like copious quantities of BBQ, fried foods and cured meat. I asked my partner if he ever talked to her about this and basically, he is afraid to., He doesn't think anything he could say would be taken to heart.

Do you think you should talk to friends about their unhealthy habits?

Has a health scare or wakeup call from your doctor made you change your diet or exercise habits?

by Anonymousreply 42July 5, 2024 1:35 AM

A bit. I suffer from joint pain and am fat. My doctor didn't nag or lecture me, she just mentioned that losing weight would help. My weight had been trending down slowly. When a weigh in showed it was headed back up, I eliminated some high-calorie treats. I have not radically changed my diet.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2024 10:46 PM

Don’t you dare speak to your frau friend about her weight.

BAD IDEA.

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2024 10:46 PM

Why? My partner holds her hand while she makes her yearly mammogram into a crisis that she can't possibly go through alone.

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2024 10:47 PM

No, but a horrible dream I had a few nights ago, has made me obsessive about self care recently.

I listen to my dreams, & while plenty haven’t come true, enough have. 😔

Also?

I ordered a burger on Monday, & have had a very upset stomach, ever since.

I should be happy that I’ve reached 8 months sober, however, I’ve taken up a VERY unhealthy relationship with food.

I understand what I’m doing & why. No nagging from others make me shift into a different speed, but my dreams? They most certainly do.

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2024 11:13 PM

She needs therapy and Ozempic. The therapy will help her deal with the loss of her mother from a sometimes-hereditary disease. The Ozempic or Mounjaro or whichever weight loss drug she takes will quiet the need for that much bad food.

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2024 11:16 PM

Excellent.

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2024 12:10 AM

I had a doctor lie to me about my blood and scan results and told me I was showing some cirrhosis of the liver. That doctor was eventually replaced by another one who ran the same tests and said my liver is fine. Nobody is going to change my habits.

by Anonymousreply 7July 4, 2024 12:29 AM

OP telling a frau to lose weight is a terrible idea. She knows she is overweight. Having your partner go with her to a mammogram is very different than having a male friend say “you need to eat less and lose weight.”

You aren’t her doctor and you aren’t her husband. Don't cross that line.

If you MUST say something, bring up the drinking and suggest vegan restaurants or some indirect shit like that.

You are coming from a good place and I respect that, but it’s not worth the drama and tears.

by Anonymousreply 8July 4, 2024 12:31 AM

[quote]These are always a crisis for her and my partner and other friends go with her to hold her hand.

Sounds like she needs a psychiatrist more than a mammogram.

by Anonymousreply 9July 4, 2024 12:37 AM

She's not asking you to stop by the liquor store and Jack in the Box for her. So, just keep your comments to yourself.

And yes, I changed my habits last year. I had high cholesterol and high LDL. Doctor said I needed to go on statins. I said I want to see if I can get my numbers down w/out statins. I made a few small changes and my #s did come down.

I think OP is dying to speak to this woman and tell her she eats and drinks too much.

by Anonymousreply 10July 4, 2024 12:40 AM

Fake goddamn Straight Cunt Thread, look, pussies fall out, see Kate the entitled princess,

by Anonymousreply 11July 4, 2024 12:44 AM

Yes. Diagnosed with high blood pressure yesterday. Diet and exercise here I come. So bummed.

by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2024 12:47 AM

Do NOT talk to your friend but do stop going to her mammograms with her. That's just ridiculous as they don't usually even have results for a few days. She sounds like drama.

But to answer your question, YES I got breast cancer at age 52 and had already started losing weight but the doctor told me the best defense against it ever returning was to lose weight. I took that very, VERY seriously and have lost 105 lbs in the past 2.5 years. And I did it by changing my diet and exercising. And healing childhood trauma with my therapist by doing EMDR. I didn't go vegan, but I eat smaller portions of what I do eat, have a salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil with every dinner, and I avoid processed meats (I will occasionally have a slice of bacon on a breakfast sandwich that I make at home). No need for Ozempic for me as I have been very successful so far. Your friend has likely been told all the information on how to lower her chances at breast cancer and is ignoring them...although 5'7 and 230 lbs is over weight...it's not even close to my 300 lbs at 5"8 which is what I was when I got the cancer.

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2024 12:48 AM

Yes. My A1c level hit pre-diabetic.

Started Wegovy/Ozempic and daily walking (about 30-45 minutes).

I don't know why (because I inject Wegovy), but the idea of having to inject insulin/check my blood sugar terrified me.

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2024 12:51 AM

Good for you r13. I wish you continued success in your sensible approach.

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2024 12:52 AM

Thank you, r13. E14 reminded me that years ago I was pre-diabetic. I stopped eating sugar completely and at my next check up I was back to normal and it has never been back up. My doctor did remark that I hadn't lost any weight after cutting out sugar and that was odd, but it was simply because I was still eating too damn much of everything else. Friend of mine was told she was heading into diabetes territory but did not want to give up sugar at all and is now full on diabetic on medication. Fuck big pharma. Most of this stuff can be fixed by small changes in diet and lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2024 12:56 AM

I hate the body positivity movement. A lot of serious illness is caused by obesity. If they can have ads 24/7 showing how bad smoking is why not ads about obesity? Does the food industry have that much power?

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2024 1:07 AM

Sorry to hear, R12. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 18July 4, 2024 1:16 AM

OP here. I tried once to talk to someone about how to frame healthy food habits as self-care and nurturing. She exploded at me in the most vicious way. Some people need their pain and anger more than they desire change. I can't imagine trying to say anything to my partner's friend. I accept that my partner feels his comments would be greeted with hostility and I'm dropping the subject..

The last time we had her over, she ate everything in sight, brought a bottle of bourbon and wine for herself, which she took home, and criticized the dessert, a bakery key lime pie. She brought nothing as a hostess gift or contribution to the dinner. I told my partner that I was not cooking for her and suggested the two of them dine out. And that's what they do.

by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2024 1:26 AM

R11, I do admire your cray cray.

by Anonymousreply 20July 4, 2024 1:45 AM

My GP blood test came back saying I was pre-diabetic. I decided to go on a Keto diet. I decided to lose at minimum 25 pounds to see if that can change that diagnosis. After losing 15 in 3 months i took a stress test and there were abnormalities. I was sent to get an angiogram test, and they found I needed bypass surgery. It went well, and afterwards I lost another 15 and kept it off. Two years later I decided to lose more weight and get to my ideal weight which is 160, so I lost another 25 pounds. My glucose level is now normal, no pre-diabetic issues, and I'm working out regularly and take long extended walks. At age 62 I'm in the best shape I've been since I was 40. If you take your doctor warning serious and do something about it, whether it's change your eating habits, get more exercise, stop drinking or smoking, you can reach reasonable goals if you are determined and do it in stages.

by Anonymousreply 21July 4, 2024 2:18 AM

I’m smoking even more.

by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2024 2:28 AM

I love health scares in these last days before the end of our democracy as we know it.

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2024 2:36 AM

OP “ Some people need their pain and anger more than they desire change”. You really nailed it there.

by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2024 2:44 AM

What you need to say to your friend is this. "If nothing changes, nothing changes."

That's been my mantra for years. And yes, I too hate the "body positivity" movement. Even when I was obese I hated it. I don't know a single obese person who is happy being obese but sometimes it takes a health scare to move you to make changes. And even then, some folks still refuse to change and then end up dying young from something that was preventable if they had just learned to love themselves.

by Anonymousreply 25July 4, 2024 4:01 AM

Good mantra.

by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2024 5:34 AM

Running is great exercise if you can do it. It can definitely leave you a bit thirsty afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 27July 4, 2024 5:46 AM

[quote] What you need to say to your friend is this. "If nothing changes, nothing changes."

The lady is not OP's friend. The lady is OP's partner's long-time friend. OP has accepted Partner's friendship with overeating / overdrinking lady. Partner has accepted that OP will not cook for Lady; Partner must socialize with Lady outside the house.

by Anonymousreply 28July 4, 2024 5:47 AM

All true. I do not go with her for her annual freak-out mammogram and after the dinner when she took her wine and bourbon home, which had been stationed in front of her, I told my partner I refused to cook for her. I have not had words with her and am pleasant on the rare occasions when I see her. Her mammogram is coming up, which occasioned our conversation about talking to her about lowering her risk. He is afraid to do so, and the testimonials here tell me that this would only make her more set in her ways and might wreck the friendship. Bad idea.

Still worth asking: What motivated you to change your health habits?

by Anonymousreply 29July 4, 2024 6:59 AM

OP this woman must offer your partner something if he’s that close a friend to her.

Ultimately, why give a shit about this? So what if his friend is fat and asks him to go to a mammogram once a year? Is it that important?

Unless she’s an abusive asshole and treating your partner like shit, I’m not clear why you are so invested in this fat hag who likes bourbon.

Go hang out with your skinny sober friends and leave them alone. At the rate she’s going with her drinking and eating, it doesn’t sound like she will be around long term anyway.

by Anonymousreply 30July 4, 2024 1:17 PM

I drink less because my doctor mentioned my high blood-pressure

by Anonymousreply 31July 4, 2024 2:09 PM

My sister's voice sounds very hoarse, kind of like Kirstie Alley.

by Anonymousreply 32July 4, 2024 2:11 PM

Blood sugar was trending pre-diabetic. Also, hit 50 and body was changing. Established new dietary guidelines, began a formal, routine exercise regimen, and just made better decisions. Hardly drink anymore and don’t miss it. Lost 25 pounds over two years and feel great. Latest thing is cutting out Aspartame (goodbye my one Coke Zero a day!), super-processed foods (lunchtime deli meat is the toughest loss here) and overall smaller portions. Slow and steady changes/routines wins the race. People will scoff, but closing your daily rings on an Apple Watch works (particularly on non-exercise days). I also bought a Peloton and swore I’d never be that guy but here I am, that guy—albeit 25 pounds lighter.

by Anonymousreply 33July 4, 2024 2:20 PM

for about 6 months

by Anonymousreply 34July 4, 2024 2:36 PM

My sister and I have both been pre-diabetic since our 20s. Damn genetics! I’m now 59.

My A1c started climbing during Covid, so I cut out all sugar, corn, white flour and sugar substitutes—WITH the exception of red wine and the occasional skinny margarita.

I bought a Dexcom monitor to see how my body reacts to certain foods so that I could help refine my diet. It also confirmed that my insulin kicks in as it should, which was good info.

I dropped from 213 pounds down to to 175 and began to look like a skeleton, so had to increase my intake. Now I bounce between 185 and 190.

We also doubled down on simple meats, veggies and no processed foods.

Six months ago my A1c was down to 5.5. GREAT! I felt I could loosen up a bit and have a few cheats during the holidays. WRONG!

In April my A1c had rocketed back up to 6.4, and the doc insisted I stick to my eating discipline AND begin Metformin. His concern, beyond the simple reading, is the damage sugars over 200 can do to the eyes and other organs.

Just waiting now for more bloodwork next month.

Once again: DAMN GENETICS!!

by Anonymousreply 35July 4, 2024 2:56 PM

[R34] If you’re referring to me [R33], I’ve been using my Peloton for 2 1/2 years. I know the whole thing about how treadmills become clothes hangers but I’ve stuck to my bike routine. Fun, attractive trainers helps.

by Anonymousreply 36July 4, 2024 5:23 PM

That sounds like an AA platitude R25.

by Anonymousreply 37July 4, 2024 9:38 PM

I don't drink, r37. But maybe it is.

by Anonymousreply 38July 4, 2024 11:30 PM

I’m assuming the OP is situated somewhere comfortably away from these United States. Otherwise, where’s the glory in living?

by Anonymousreply 39July 4, 2024 11:44 PM

No. I think you're posting in the wrong thread. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 40July 5, 2024 12:46 AM

Candy Finnigan on "Intervention" used to say, "If nothing changes, nothing changes." Candy was / is an alcoholic. She probably learned that in AA.

Candy was a good interventionist. She'd get all fired up and start to cry a little.

by Anonymousreply 41July 5, 2024 12:49 AM

Mother has dementia , the hell with living longer am going to enjoy myself. I'd rather die of clogged arteries than dementia.

by Anonymousreply 42July 5, 2024 1:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!