Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Whitney and Aretha’s duet bombed

The much anticipated Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston duet, “it isn’t it wasn’t it ain’t ever going to be” was a huge dud when it was released in 1989 after Arethas mid/late 80s comeback and Whitney becoming a superstar at the same time.

Why did they choose this unremarkable and unoriginal song to record? It only made it to #41 on the hot 100 and was quickly forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2024 4:03 PM

fat shit and bat shit.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2024 7:32 PM

Time for an AI divas album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2024 8:39 PM

Splice them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2024 8:41 PM

I don't think Whitney ever had a number-one hit that's a duet. I'm surprised how basic that duet came out to be with Narada Michael Walden, who was having a hot streak during this period, produced the single.

It did better on the R&B charts but quickly fell out of the top ten—a wasted opportunity, and Aretha and Whitney deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2024 8:45 PM

What's interesting is the song was only released on Aretha's "Through the Storm" album, and never released on any Houston album, nor any 'Greatest Hits' package from Franklin.

This was the second single from the album. "Through The Storm" was the first single off the album, a duet with Elton John - which hit #18. (I don't believe EJ ever released the song on any of his albums). The last single was the duet "Gimme Your Love" with James Brown - another dud which didn't crack the Hot 100.

(Her recording of "If Ever a Love There Was" (with the Four Tops and Kenny G) which was released as a single for the 1988 movie 'I'm Gonna Git You Sucka' was included on this album).

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2024 9:27 PM

Suffers the same fate as many during that period: They're both undeniable talents, but this song sounds like it was produced for five dollars on a Casio keyboard.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2024 9:52 PM

[quote] I'm surprised how basic that duet came out to be with Narada Michael Walden, who was having a hot streak during this period, produced the single

From what I remember, it was Clive who wanted the duet because he thought it would do big numbers. The problem according to Narada, was that Aretha was completely intimidated by working with Whitney. Aretha was rude to her during the session, so much that Whitney's feeling were hurt, and then called Narada later that evening, wanting to come into the studio, where she redid her part several times before she felt she could match Whitney's vocals. She then asked if she apologize to Whitney for how she behaved.

I can't remember who put the kibosh on doing a music video.

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2024 10:04 PM

I hate duets. Most of them are shit and riding on the combination of two big names.

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2024 10:41 PM

Very rarely do duets of two women singers work (I'm looking at you - Barbra and Celine). The only one which really is a masterpiece is 'No More Tears' with Barbra and Donna, because vocally, they met their match and worked as a duo - not against each other.

by Anonymousreply 9July 4, 2024 1:38 AM

I like Kim Carnes' duet with Babala. Make No Mistake He's Mine. Kim and Babs. It was just so out of the blue. Who thought of putting these two together? It really worked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 4, 2024 1:43 AM

I would say Kim and Babs are second to Donna and Babs. The problem with the Kim / Babs duet is that it sounds like they were singing to each other from a NYC avenue block away from each other.

by Anonymousreply 11July 4, 2024 1:59 AM

Whitney and Mariah’s duet was a hit AND won an Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2024 1:59 AM

R12 One of the worst female duets in history.

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2024 2:02 AM

Mimi and ReRe seemed to mesh well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2024 2:05 AM

Well at least Aretha had final approval of the cover art.

Her face resembles a freshly waxed Buick.

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2024 10:43 AM

Narada Michael Walden produced “I knew you were waiting for me” for Aretha and George Michael just 2 years before and the same team that wrote and produced this one (Walden, Diane Warren and Albert Hammond) were the same team that did “nothings gonna stop us now” for starship 2 duets that were huge hits.

Most of Whitney’s duets were lackluster, I think her best was the one she did with teddy pendergrass at the beginning of her career.

Her duet with Mariah was a dud creative wise and not a huge hit though it made the top 20, this was the time when they were both in the top 5/no 1 regularly. Also it pales in comparison to the me monster Brandy/Monica “the boy is mine” duet that was still at that top of the charts.

by Anonymousreply 16July 5, 2024 3:17 PM

I don’t think it was a hit but I love Whitney’s duet with Deborah Cox - Same Script, Different Cast. The Jonathan Peters dance mix is awesome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2024 4:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!