Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did Fast Food places stop serving salads?

I was looking for something relatively healthy for lunch and didn't want to spend a lot, so I decided to look at Burger King's menu and see they don't have salads anymore. Looks like McDonalds doesn't either. They're not even bothering to offer healthy options anymore. Another reason people don't go to these places anymore.

by Anonymousreply 85July 8, 2024 1:55 AM

They all stopped when all of the lettuce illness issues were repeatedly happening.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2024 5:40 PM

a hamburger is relatively healthy if you don't get a ton of condiments, maybe take one of the buns off. you may have outdated ideas about nutrition. lettuce has zero nutritional value. you can easily get a reasonable and filling meal under 500 cal at most fast food places these days.

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2024 5:46 PM

"The COVID-19 pandemic caused McDonald's to reevaluate its menu. Besides just a cost factor, the company realized it could streamline its drive-thru operations by getting rid of its salads. Salads proved to be an additional hassle that took longer to make than the chain's sandwiches. With indoor dining closed and most customers going to the drive-thru during this time, McDonald's settled on a pared-down menu."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2024 5:48 PM

I think the salads went away during Covid and never returned.

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2024 5:48 PM

My unqualified opinion, these places will close because the clientele will be either be too poor to afford any of the food, or they’ll be too fat to get in the car to get there.

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2024 6:13 PM

Wendy’s still has them. Last time I saw. Good ones.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2024 6:38 PM

Fat whores rejoice!

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2024 6:41 PM

The healthiest thing you can get at McDonald’s which isn’t apple slices and milk is 4 piece chicken McNuggets or a regular hamburger.

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2024 6:51 PM

Wendy's used to have a salad bar. Those days are long gone.

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2024 9:11 PM

Wendy's also used to have baked potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2024 9:48 PM

Yeah, i came here to say that Wendy's has them still. However, Wendy's in a part of town that i try to avoid because the traffic is a clusterfucking nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2024 9:55 PM

Who the fuck goes to a fast food place for salad? I mean seriously.

It's like going to a gas station for filet mignon.

by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2024 9:57 PM

Parents and grandparents of little kids who just have to get their daily dose of burgers and fries, R12.

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2024 10:01 PM

McDonalds has also gone to a streamlined restaurant. McDonald's Express only has 3-4 employees and they don't have room to store or make salads. In the ones I've been in, ordering is done from kiosk, all the soft drinks are automated and most of the food is quick assemble meals.

by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2024 10:05 PM

Does McDonald's still have oatmeal? That was always a nice alternative to sausage, hash browns and those wickedly unhealthy McGriddles. R2, I agree about a hamburger not being all too unhealthy. The sodium is what will get you. McDonald's will hold the salt though. I always add on a tomato slice whenever possible.

by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2024 10:13 PM

Yes, but on the secret menu you can still order a 16 oz cup of dressing.

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2024 10:20 PM

I remember the hamburger buns always tasted too sweet.

I completely missed the fact that they ever had salads. I only ever get a coffee from there as a last resort when I'm in a hurry.

Is your name Clair, r10?

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2024 10:31 PM

You’d think they’d come up with easy to make high margin items for upscale clientele. Just a few ingredient bowl of some kind with sauce options. They could get away with it being a dollar or two more if it was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2024 10:46 PM

No one wants salads, they want greasy food, this is fast food, it apparently didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2024 10:48 PM

Sometimes you're driving, and just need to eat something quick...but would prefer something that's not completely processed and maybe has some vegetables. A salad from the drive-thru was a decent option.

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2024 10:59 PM

Clara, R17

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2024 11:12 PM

It's not healthier anyway; it just looks green. I'm convinced the salad dressing makes it worse than fries.

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2024 11:13 PM

Well, give credit where credit's due: Jack in the Box still has a full array of salads (9) on the menu at the one near me.

I don't go there because it's not THAT near to me, but just thought i'd give everyone that PSA if you're traveling this summer and want to grab something lighter, cooler and quick.

by Anonymousreply 23July 3, 2024 11:20 PM

Wendy's still has salads and baked potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 24July 3, 2024 11:29 PM

Food poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 25July 3, 2024 11:35 PM

[quote] Wendy’s still has them. Last time I saw. Good ones.

I bought a Wendy’s salad earlier this year. It cost $10 and tasted like it was sprayed with disinfectant, I had to throw it away,

by Anonymousreply 26July 3, 2024 11:38 PM

My go-to "diet" dish at Wendy's is Chili (no cheese) and a plain baked potato. Fairly low in fat and reasonably healthy. I pour the chili on the potato.

by Anonymousreply 27July 3, 2024 11:39 PM

R2 was the perfect response.

You may have outdated opinions about nutrition, you stupid fucking dinosaur. And consequently, you will probably wind up dead before all of the rest of us, despite your best efforts.

by Anonymousreply 28July 3, 2024 11:44 PM

[quote]a hamburger is relatively healthy

If you don't eat it from McDonald's. Their burgers have more filler than Dolly Parton's bazooms.

by Anonymousreply 29July 3, 2024 11:49 PM

[quote] It's not healthier anyway; it just looks green. I'm convinced the salad dressing makes it worse than fries.

The McD's grilled chicken salad was actually OK. (There was a breaded and fried chicken salad alternative.) The dressing (Newman's Own ranch) came in a squeeze bag. You could put as much or as little dressing as you liked. I think the calorie count, even with the dressing, was under 500.

by Anonymousreply 30July 3, 2024 11:57 PM

Panera has salads - and lots of them. My favorite is the strawberry poppy seed with chicken. It’s excellent.

by Anonymousreply 31July 4, 2024 12:40 AM

OP is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 32July 4, 2024 2:17 AM

I thought Wendy’s did away with their chilli

by Anonymousreply 33July 4, 2024 2:21 AM

It’s not a salad, but I was at a Carl’s Jr in L.A..a cpl days ago and had a pretty decent grilled chicken breast sandwich. Removed half the bun and no mayo/dressing..

by Anonymousreply 34July 4, 2024 2:56 AM

I do like that many of the fast food places came back with chicken (snack) wraps (except McD's), usually with lettuce, cheese and hopefully tomato.

by Anonymousreply 35July 4, 2024 3:00 AM

R12 seems retarded

by Anonymousreply 36July 4, 2024 3:03 AM

R34 You should get a ribbon - we’re proud of you.

by Anonymousreply 37July 4, 2024 3:04 AM

Wendy's chili is a cornerstone on their menu. Like the Frosty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 4, 2024 4:03 AM

BIG MAC SALAD HACK

1. Buy a Big Mac

2. Remove the pickles, onions, lettuce and cheese from it

3. Place vegetables in the on the bottom of your burger box

4. Crumble your beef patty on top and sprinkle with cheese.

5. Dress with special sauce. 🍔 🥗

NOW IT’S A DIET FOOD

by Anonymousreply 39July 4, 2024 4:35 AM

I remember once I got a taco salad from Wendy’s and it came with a cup of the chili for it:

by Anonymousreply 40July 4, 2024 4:51 AM

Who remembers the Taco Bell taco salad? I admit to liking it. It was around 800 calories, IIRC.

Discontinued in 2020!

by Anonymousreply 41July 4, 2024 5:22 AM

I remember that R30. There's one right by my house so I often got one.

At one time, they had 3 types: southwest, caesar salad, and one I can't remember. With the pouch of Paul Newman's dressing, you're right.

Happy days....

by Anonymousreply 42July 4, 2024 5:35 AM

Oh I think I remember McD salad #3: ASIAN !! with crispy rice noodles or something like that. (I never got that type.)

And you could get grilled or breaded/fried chicken, you're right.

Why can't we have good things, any more?

I also remember when the Burger King Whopper was wonderful! Now it's just a boring quarter pounder.

by Anonymousreply 43July 4, 2024 5:39 AM

Who remembers the McDonald’s Salad Shakers? I thought those were a great concept.

by Anonymousreply 44July 4, 2024 5:45 AM

Yeah, I think it was the McD's southwest chicken salad that I used to eat. It came with a little bit of tortilla chip strips (like croutons). And the pouch of Newman's Own ranch dressing.

by Anonymousreply 45July 4, 2024 5:52 AM

Anymore, anymore, anymore, OP.

by Anonymousreply 46July 4, 2024 6:37 AM

R39, they should probably offer that as a product. They could charge more for omitting the bun from a Big Mac.

by Anonymousreply 47July 4, 2024 7:36 AM

Chick fil A has the best fast food salads. Reasonably priced too at about 13 bucks each.

by Anonymousreply 48July 4, 2024 8:00 AM

$13 bucks for a fucking salad is reasonable? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 49July 4, 2024 8:18 AM

Salads require more prep, veggies more expensive and the cost of spoilage higher, I read that near the end of the salad era, MCD’s would make one salad a shift, then go right into the trash at shift change.

There are so many better options for fresh salad, Chipotle makes a great salad bowl, Sweet Greens though it’s expensive- and of course every Whole Foods has a great, high end salad bar.

by Anonymousreply 50July 4, 2024 8:39 AM

I used to get the taco salad all the time. It was pretty good. I miss it and the Enchirito.

by Anonymousreply 51July 4, 2024 11:35 AM

R29 so does everything there. if you're going to get fast food you might as well get SOME protein and vitamin content. harder to control food safety with salads too.

by Anonymousreply 52July 4, 2024 12:32 PM

I really miss grilled chicken snack wraps and grilled chicken sandwiches. It is all fried now

by Anonymousreply 53July 4, 2024 2:13 PM

Anyone who goes to a fast food place looking for a salad is just lying to himself. If you want a damned salad go to Chopt or somewhere like Tender Greens

by Anonymousreply 54July 4, 2024 2:16 PM

These drive-thru kiosk places have started popping up all over my area. The salads are huge and you can control the calories by customizing and/or being thoughtful with the dressing choice. And they're priced fairly reasonably for fast food. They have a "protein box" on their kids menu that I will sometimes get in lieu of a salad. It's a good size and I can keep the calories pretty low with my choices for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 4, 2024 2:35 PM

I miss salad bars. There used to be a couple in my area at a Round Table Pizza and a grocery store, but they were removed during Covid. Those were a great in and out option and you could control every aspect of the salad. I don't know if they'll ever make a comeback. Probably not with the homeless problem. A couple of weeks ago I was in the condiments aisle, and there were rib bones on the floor that someone had lifted from the deli section and noshed on and discarded.

If you're lucky enough to live or work around Trader Joe's, they're the best option for a "fast food" salad. They have lots of options and they're generous with proteins. There's a variety of greens, not just iceberg. They're $4.99 - $6.99. My favorites are the Cobb and Pasadena Chicken salads. Don't be daunted by the parking. They've got even checkstand open and process people through quickly.

by Anonymousreply 56July 4, 2024 2:42 PM

[Quote] a hamburger is relatively healthy if you don't get a ton of condiments, maybe take one of the buns off. you may have outdated ideas about nutrition. lettuce has zero nutritional value.

I hope this was satire.

by Anonymousreply 57July 4, 2024 2:47 PM

I work in an area where there are no fast casual places like Chipotle or Chopt. I forgot to bring my lunch and thought I would go to Burger King for a salad. No one thinks fast food places are ideal for healthy salads, but sometimes you have no choice. It would be nice if they offered a healthy salad or two.

by Anonymousreply 58July 4, 2024 2:49 PM

They now have the fast food salad restaurants like sweetgreen

by Anonymousreply 59July 4, 2024 2:51 PM

[quote]No one thinks fast food places are ideal for healthy salads, but sometimes you have no choice.

Removing the buns from a cheeseburger and a small fries is healthier than most fast food salads.

by Anonymousreply 60July 4, 2024 3:21 PM

Half of the bitches who are judging on this thread are probably fat themselves.

by Anonymousreply 61July 5, 2024 7:06 AM

Trader Joe's discontinued my favorite salad years ago -- Spa Salad. Noodles, chicken breast, grapes, some other stuff, and a nice light dressing. Only around 300 calories. I wish they'd bring it back.

by Anonymousreply 62July 5, 2024 4:28 PM

Not only salads at fast food restaurants, but groceries stop stocking, or limit, healthier options, and food manufacturers discontinue lighter fare. Lean Pockets is an example.

Walmart has prepared salads for $3. The calorie count on most of them is already low, but I throw out the tub of dressing they come with and use fat free dressing instead for even fewer calories.

by Anonymousreply 63July 5, 2024 4:32 PM

MCDonalds also had Paul Newman balsamic dressing for the grilled chicken salad of you did it want all the calories of the ranch dressing. I loved that salad. It didn’t taste like disinfectant

by Anonymousreply 64July 6, 2024 8:43 PM

The media loves to talk about the high calorie count of fast food salads, but that is often misleading. I think it's to defend the calorie count of the less healthy main items these places sell. Don't get ranch. Get one of the lite dressings. Pick grilled chicken over breaded. You'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 65July 6, 2024 9:21 PM

Here you go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 6, 2024 10:03 PM

Paul Newman's Vinaigrette has sugar listed as an ingredient; Paul Newman's ranch does not.

I think the ranch is healthier.

by Anonymousreply 67July 6, 2024 11:06 PM

Ranch has no carbs. Fact.

by Anonymousreply 68July 6, 2024 11:26 PM

I still fail to see why not moving towards higher margin items as an industry wouldn’t be the way to go. Obviously, it would have to be a wider effort.

by Anonymousreply 69July 6, 2024 11:58 PM

You don’t win friends with salad.

by Anonymousreply 70July 7, 2024 12:30 AM

Panera is revolting, in general. Wendy's are fine as long as you get them around lunch. Any later and they've usually been hanging around for hours. Salads at Airport Wendy's usually have been hanging around since early morning and should be avoided at anytime.

by Anonymousreply 71July 7, 2024 12:38 AM

I used to like the McDonalds spicey chicken wraps.

by Anonymousreply 72July 7, 2024 1:05 AM

When did fast food stop being healthy?

by Anonymousreply 73July 7, 2024 2:12 AM

It's only unhealthy if you eat too much, it's not inherently bad, your impulse control is bad, admit it, I do for myself, truth hurts?

by Anonymousreply 74July 7, 2024 2:18 AM

Yes and it’s sad. McDonalds had some good one. Chick Fil A sells a delicious Southwest salad.

by Anonymousreply 75July 7, 2024 2:22 AM

I liked those salads that McDonald’s had.

by Anonymousreply 76July 7, 2024 2:38 AM

R74, no, it’s bad. Processed food is full of nothing but chemicals are horrible shit that will clog up your arteries and colon.

by Anonymousreply 77July 7, 2024 2:57 AM

[quote]Jack in the Box still has a full array of salads (9) on the menu at the one near me.

I used to get their Southwest Chicken Salad years ago and it was good. But I got one sometime in the last year and they had really skimped on the ingredients. No more black beans or corn. It may not have even had shredded cheese. Basically lettuce and chicken with a few cherry tomatoes. Not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 78July 7, 2024 3:21 AM

In general, I prefer vinaigrette dressings to creamy dressings. Talking about homemade. For pre-packaged / pre-bottled dressings, the creamy ones just taste better. Something metallic about packaged vinaigrettes. Hence, I preferred the Newman's Own ranch to the balsamic (McD's salads).

by Anonymousreply 79July 7, 2024 5:03 AM

Why is this dressing so sweet?

by Anonymousreply 80July 7, 2024 9:40 AM

The deterioration of McDonald’s makes me oddly sad and nostalgic. I don’t event eat there, but everything about it seems sad. It used to be a comforting place with vibrant colors, a large menu, cute ads with Ronald and those characters. They’d run those big move tie-in promotions. It felt like a simple of a prosperous, happy America. Now it’s depressing.

by Anonymousreply 81July 7, 2024 1:26 PM

The food is still all right although the ambience is now suicidally gray and lifeless. Overseas McDonalds food is of a higher quality than what is available in this country.

by Anonymousreply 82July 7, 2024 9:03 PM

McDonald’s only good offerings now are breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 83July 7, 2024 9:33 PM

Fast food is sub par, that is why. Learn to make your own salad

by Anonymousreply 84July 8, 2024 12:27 AM

Farmer Boys (CA regional fast food chain) has some nice salads. Their other food is pretty good too, but it's gotten very pricey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 8, 2024 1:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!