Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Laverne Cox Lives in a STUDIO Apartment?

It's beautiful, but is she poor?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 9, 2024 8:34 AM

Ten grand a month rent ain't cheap

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2024 2:16 AM

She should be saving every penny.

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2024 2:26 AM

Tribeca studios are very trendy.

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2024 2:32 AM

Oh honey, no, she isn't. It would take you 500 years to save up to buy that place.

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2024 2:33 AM

Lots of wigs. No books.

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2024 2:39 AM

The Trans are not good with money.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2024 2:45 AM

Why would she have a lot of money? She doesn’t work that often and Orange Is The New Black paid nothing. Very high cost of living to maintain that lifestyle in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2024 2:46 AM

I'm sure it's exorbitantly expensive, but what a dismal, depressing home. It looks (and is styled) like a modest-sized hotel room. Zero personality and no sense that a person actually lives there. Maybe that tells us more about Laverne Cox than it does the space itself, though.

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2024 2:57 AM

Agree it looks like a hotel room. How awful.

Does she have a place in LA, too? That might explain it?

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2024 3:20 AM

I would hope she's smart by living below her means and investing all her money.

by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2024 3:28 AM

it's essentially a dressing room with no natural light.

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2024 4:56 AM

There are these new devices called Kindles, r5. They can hold thousands of books and take up almost no space. You were in such a rush to call a trans person stupid that you forgot about 15 year old technology. I'm guessing you don't read often.

by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2024 5:05 AM

If she says "I'm obsessed" one more time...

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2024 5:09 AM

I like the luxurious materials and how every inch of wall is a storage space. It's not everyone's cup of tea but she really did everything possible to make her studio apartment a nice place to spend time. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have bothered because it's "just" a studio.

by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2024 5:19 AM

I'm thinking back a couple of years when she did videos on her gutting and decorating an apartment she bought. Is this the same one? I can't see the video provided by OP....(I live outside the US). TIA.

by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2024 5:19 AM

It is R15

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2024 5:21 AM

Xanadu!

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2024 5:22 AM

I live in a studio. We have the storage, the Murphy bed, etc, but it’s not a hotel room. I’ve lived here for almost 25 years. I love our home but I find myself dreaming of a 2BR and that will push me out of NY.

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2024 5:23 AM

R16, thanks

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2024 5:24 AM

The bathroom is really great. Apt is nice overall.

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2024 5:30 AM

It's very hotel, and that's often used as an insult, but I generally like well-appointed hotel rooms.

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2024 5:31 AM

All in the equivalent space of a 20x30 room.

Well done.

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2024 6:20 AM

It has nothing to do with her being trans R12.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 3, 2024 6:25 AM

Why should a person with a studio apartment devote space to the storage of physical books when they could have an entire library on a phone or kindle, r23? I know for a fact that John Waters doesn't live in a 600 sqft studio apartment. Bullshit it's not about her being trans.

by Anonymousreply 24July 3, 2024 7:22 AM

You’d think her residuals from throwing the first brick at Stonewall would more than cover the mortgage on two-bedroom unit in a UES pre-war doorman building.

by Anonymousreply 25July 3, 2024 7:28 AM

Looks like black pantyhose on her hands

by Anonymousreply 26July 3, 2024 7:35 AM

ha like that stupid bitch reads

by Anonymousreply 27July 3, 2024 8:06 AM

I love her and want her to have a place with high-ceilings, hardwood floors, wainscoting, and natural light. This place, as mentioned above, looks like a dressing room. For a D-lister. But I guess that's what she likes. Blech!

by Anonymousreply 28July 3, 2024 10:31 AM

I hate all that hidden cabinet, hidden closet crap. You wouldn’t know where anything was intuitively, without having a diagram or map. It looks like a long lobby or reception area. Yeah Laverne, we can tell that kitchen isn’t used. Laughable.

by Anonymousreply 29July 3, 2024 12:09 PM

R8, the hotel/geberic AirBnB look has been in fashion for far too long now. Bring back personality!

by Anonymousreply 30July 3, 2024 12:12 PM

I’m crying laughing thinking about Laverne Cox kick in’ off her size 16 heels and grabbing her Kindle to read some Noam Chomsky. One of the 1000s of books on her device.

by Anonymousreply 31July 3, 2024 12:23 PM

R24 - I realize you have an intractable chip on your shoulder, but again, it has nothing to do with her being trans This criticism has been brought up here before on other “fabulous” soulless apartments insta-gays have shown off on social media. She doesn't need a law library, or the complete works of Dickens - two coffee table fashion volumes would suffice.

Yes, I’m making a value judgement, but not about her genitalia.

by Anonymousreply 32July 3, 2024 12:25 PM

I don’t believe people when they say they don’t cook.

by Anonymousreply 33July 3, 2024 12:57 PM

People who only have sterile e-books and no physical books at all are weird. We know Kindle exists, thank you. I use my Kindle app every day, I understand the advantages and I still find it clunky. Books are a physical thing, with a history when you first read it, when others read it before you, who gave it to whom on their birthday. Not having an extensive library, okay. But no books at all?

by Anonymousreply 34July 3, 2024 1:55 PM

I like it. I lived in a 300 square foot apartment for seven years. It got to be a bit much, and I was glad to move into a one-bedroom. The reason I chose to live there was because it was just across the street from my job. But I was able to do many things there, including sewing and brewing beer and having over a hundred books.

by Anonymousreply 35July 3, 2024 2:08 PM

Well done, Laverne Cox. Home sweet home.

Better to live in a linen closet in New York City than a mansion in Flie Ovah County.

Jealousy is sooo ugly, laddies and ladies.

by Anonymousreply 36July 3, 2024 2:17 PM

I keep reading this as “a STUPID Apartment”

by Anonymousreply 37July 3, 2024 2:18 PM

Be a tranny doesn't mean they can decorate or cook, they often have no taste at all.

by Anonymousreply 38July 3, 2024 2:43 PM

I don’t think it looks like a hotel room.

by Anonymousreply 39July 3, 2024 2:48 PM

It's like that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine visited Mr. Peterman's apartment, and found it was just an empty room with a recliner and a TV set. She was aghast that such an exotic world traveler would live so blandly. He said it was just a place to flop.

by Anonymousreply 40July 3, 2024 2:54 PM

When she sells it, I’m not sure the wig closet is going to be a selling point. Can’t see what else it could be used for. Perhaps a bar.

by Anonymousreply 41July 3, 2024 2:55 PM

Let's assume the first blush and novelty factor has worn off for Laverne Cox. I mean, what really lies ahead as the pretty fades and he/she starts to look...rough?

by Anonymousreply 42July 3, 2024 3:21 PM

R41 - I don’t think you should let fear of resale value override making your home look and work the way you want it to - especially if you’re in a very small space. The extensive work is well done, if sterile - it definitely looks like a boutique hotel room. But is very impersonal - and the only art is a portrait of herself - which is rather telling.

R35 - I lived in a 300 square foot studio for 25 years - but it had 12 foot ceilings, a working fireplace and two huge windows - so it felt much less claustrophobic than this apartment. It also had a loft bed over the small, never used kitchen, so there was plenty of room for two full bookcases - that I did use.

by Anonymousreply 43July 3, 2024 4:02 PM

I’m not saying her wig closet is a mistake if that’s what she needs. But still the question arises—what else could someone do with it?

by Anonymousreply 44July 3, 2024 4:07 PM

Her life is dressing up, applying makeup and putting on wigs. Her apartment reflects that. I know she identifies as a woman but she comes across as a drag queen. And, yes, that's perfectly fine.

by Anonymousreply 45July 3, 2024 4:07 PM

R44 - Perhaps a very large spice-rack for a very small kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 46July 3, 2024 4:10 PM

No shower?

by Anonymousreply 47July 3, 2024 4:13 PM

I like it...Not everyone needs space for the collectables they inherited from their mother

by Anonymousreply 48July 3, 2024 4:24 PM

That’s obviously the key takeaway.

by Anonymousreply 49July 3, 2024 4:50 PM

The mugler fragrance fountain is in many department stores in the US and isn’t unique to Europe. I’ve taken my mom’s Angel perfume refilled for her at Macy’s before.

by Anonymousreply 50July 3, 2024 10:08 PM

I can't see the OP's video. Blocked in Europe.

Is this the apartment?

Thanks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 3, 2024 10:15 PM

Well, in some places studios rent for more than a $1,000 month. I know it’s hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 52July 3, 2024 11:07 PM

Why would it be blocked in Europe? Trans haters!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 53July 3, 2024 11:12 PM

I'm pretty sure that's an actual hotel room.

by Anonymousreply 54July 3, 2024 11:20 PM

I just can’t with the voice and the highly affected mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 55July 3, 2024 11:42 PM

I think it looks nice. She bought it, right? The bathroom is cool with the LED lights.

by Anonymousreply 56July 3, 2024 11:51 PM

I wish there were some plants or a cat or anything to humanize that box.

by Anonymousreply 57July 4, 2024 12:13 AM

It looks like a place to entertain and impress rough trade.

by Anonymousreply 58July 4, 2024 12:14 AM

What makes you think I have a box r57?

by Anonymousreply 59July 4, 2024 12:20 AM

[quote]I'm guessing you don't read often.

I do. REAL BOOKS.

by Anonymousreply 60July 4, 2024 12:28 AM

[quote] I don’t believe people when they say they don’t cook.

Why not? I believe it. My kitchen actually looks similar to Laverne's in that there's no clutter, but I do cook.

However, there are people who really are clueless about cooking and don't care about it.

by Anonymousreply 61July 4, 2024 12:30 AM

Does she still have her cock?

by Anonymousreply 62July 4, 2024 12:46 AM

This has Dangerous Liaisons all over it - an urban lair for business and other sins.

by Anonymousreply 63July 4, 2024 12:54 AM

Am I the only one to not see one window? It was a tomb.

by Anonymousreply 64July 4, 2024 1:03 AM

The tomb effect is heightened by the choice of colors.

by Anonymousreply 65July 4, 2024 1:05 AM

I'm guessing she has no view, or a view of a wall, or is ten feet away from another apartment's window.

by Anonymousreply 66July 4, 2024 1:11 AM

>Even though that place lacks soul or charm or - apparently - a shred of natural light, I suppose what’s important is that SHE is happy there.

>If she’s so into wigs, why is the wig she’s wearing so ratty looking?

>That perfume fountain is tacky af.

>I know we’re not supposed to ask, but now I’m curious. Are there any photos online of what she looked like pre transition?

by Anonymousreply 67July 4, 2024 1:17 AM

Twin brother? Has anyone seen them in the same place at the same time?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 4, 2024 1:36 AM

Yeah, that perfume "fountain" was really stupid and took up so much space.

She kept on talking about Thierry Mugler, like he was paying her or something.

by Anonymousreply 69July 4, 2024 1:47 AM

I doubt this is the only place she owns. I could see it as a New York spot and she has a place in Los Angeles.

Either way she's in McG's new film and that film with Keanu Reeves and Matt Bomer. So she's still working.

Personally, while I would want something bigger, I still wouldn't want something huge. Something has always struck me as creepy living in a big home by myself.

I have an uncle who lives in a huge mansion alone now that he's divorced and his kids are off on their own. He says there are entire areas he just never goes in and "shuts down" occasionally. He pretty much only cares about his bedroom, kitchen and living room. He'd never downsize. He likes the idea that it's all his. I'd be afraid someone was going to kill me.

by Anonymousreply 70July 4, 2024 2:06 AM

Why have the glam room out in the main area when the bathroom already has a sink area the same size?

by Anonymousreply 71July 4, 2024 4:05 AM

[quote]I know we’re not supposed to ask, but now I’m curious. Are there any photos online of what she looked like pre transition?

Transition? What "transition?

Laverne has discussed her "shenis" before, naturally, it's a big ole black wanger...like all women have!

People can avail themselves of all manner of disfigurement, but nobody "transitions" to anything they weren't born as!

by Anonymousreply 72July 4, 2024 4:08 AM

The glam area had really bright lighting (for putting on makeup) and that's probably the wig installation area, too.

by Anonymousreply 73July 4, 2024 4:15 AM

All for the love of artifice.

by Anonymousreply 74July 4, 2024 4:41 AM

I know, r73, but why not just put that lighting in the bathroom sink area? You must be right about it needing to be near the wig station.

by Anonymousreply 75July 7, 2024 7:11 AM

In a bathroom, due to the sink, the mirror is set too far back. Also, in a small bathroom, the sink is in the way of all the cosmetics.

by Anonymousreply 76July 7, 2024 4:21 PM

That descending garment rod is a novel touch.

by Anonymousreply 77July 7, 2024 7:46 PM

R38 not in makeup that’s for sure

by Anonymousreply 78July 9, 2024 7:56 AM

I'm in Europe too and OP's video is blocked here, but I've found another video of the apartment. It's decorated in a very male style, matte dark colours and all that, very few female touches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 9, 2024 8:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!