Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Robert Towne is DEAD TO ME

Chinatown is not just the greatest film about Los Angeles or the greatest film about California but, alongside The Godfather, the greatest film about America.

“Evelyn, how many years have I got? She’s mine, too!”

“She’s NEVER going to know that!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 3, 2024 10:36 AM

You beat me to it. I was just about to post this.

RIP to one of the greatest screenwriters in Hollywood history.

by Anonymousreply 1July 2, 2024 10:55 PM

"Chinatown" is one of my all time favorite movies. RIP

by Anonymousreply 2July 2, 2024 11:17 PM

[quote] "Chinatown" is one of my all time favorite movies. RIP

I already forgot about it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 2, 2024 11:24 PM

Whew. I thought this said Robert Townsend at first. RIP to this talented guy.

by Anonymousreply 4July 2, 2024 11:26 PM

His dog was nominated for an oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5July 2, 2024 11:27 PM

My sister, my daughter.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2024 12:18 AM

Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

RIP and fuck AI.

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2024 12:21 AM

[quote] My sister, my daughter.

My sister AND my daughter!

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2024 12:49 AM

AI can be fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2024 1:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2024 1:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2024 1:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2024 1:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2024 1:34 AM

If Chinatown hadn't been competing with The Godfather Part II it would have won. They were both excellent.

by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2024 1:39 AM

The useless AI asshole is back with more vomit. Time to block another of his socks.

Or three is more like it.

by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2024 1:40 AM

Oh god I blocked the AI freak and he was the OP! I knew I should’ve posted my Robert Towne thread instead.

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2024 1:44 AM

She's my sister *and* a dessert topping!

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2024 1:48 AM

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. People see Towne’s name on Chinatown and assume the writing credit is clean. Far from it.

Towne had this grand story of the movie being about how the old Los Angeles was being destroyed by the new. He wrote that story to some extent but his friend Edward Taylor wrote at least half of the screenplay — certainly more than Towne did.

Then Polanski got it and realized it was completely unworkable as a movie. He made MASSIVE changes. The final screenplay not only changed most of the words, but the story as well. In Towne’s story, Evelyn shoots her father and gets custody of her sister/daughter.

Let’s face it. Towne is basically completely absent from what you see on the screen.

Oh, bonus points — Towne was an evil, vindictive, spiteful asshole of a man. I’m glad he’s dead.

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2024 1:51 AM

Oh dear R16 we really missed your remarkable insight and analysis. Do share them, I know the Cahiers du Cinéma will be dripping with envy.

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2024 1:51 AM

[quote]Towne was an evil, vindictive, spiteful asshole of a man. I’m glad he’s dead.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I bought the book about Chinatown that came out a few years ago but never read it, but

That’s a little weirdly personal and malevolent don’t you think? Did he get you fired as Sherry Lansing’s assistant or something?

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2024 1:55 AM

[quote]Towne was an evil, vindictive, spiteful asshole of a man. I’m glad he’s dead.

He hit 𝙢𝙚 in the head with a fondue pot.

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2024 1:55 AM

Chocolate or cheese?

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2024 1:58 AM

His reputation was always mixed within the industry.

"The Big Goodbye" portrays him as a degenerate drug-addict with serious issues with women. Peter Biskind's "Star" depicts him as perpetually in debt due to his substance abuse. Tom Cruise hired Towne for "Mission: Impossible" and De Palma found him to be undependable. His (pre-rewritten) script for the first "Mission: Impossible" and his final script for "Mission: Impossible II" is filled with these bizarre misogynistic asides.

That said, with the exception of his ex-wife, all of these sources are known assholes themselves. Towne has written or rewritten too many great films to be cast aside. Even Towne at his worst is capable of writing excellent dialogue.

And he usually tried to find an unusual and distinct dramatic trajectory to just about every film he made. You don't even need to examine "Chinatown", but look at "Without Limits" - a sports film not about winning (or even "the big race") but about an attitude to life.

by Anonymousreply 23July 3, 2024 2:18 AM

Oh, and he wrote this scene - a sequence that manages to be an identifiable and heart-warming father-son bonding while also being a horrifying statement of power.

"We'll get there, pop. We'll get there."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 3, 2024 2:25 AM

[quote] Even Towne at his worst is capable of writing excellent dialogue.

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 25July 3, 2024 2:31 AM

[Quote] You don't even need to examine "Chinatown",

In fact, you really shouldn’t, as his writing credit on that is basically a fraud, lol.

by Anonymousreply 26July 3, 2024 2:40 AM

[quote] lol

LoL! :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 3, 2024 2:43 AM

In addition to "Chinatown," a masterpiece, I liked "The Last Detail" and thought "Greystoke" was kind of fun. I found a few of the movies he directed, "Personal Best," "Tequila Sunrise," and "Ask the Dust" (based on an excellent novel), to be completely underwhelming--"Maybe he should never have got out from behind his Smith-Corona."

by Anonymousreply 28July 3, 2024 2:44 AM

R18, I heard this is covered in great detail in the book The Big Goodbye: Chinatown and the Last Years of Hollywood. I need to read it.

Interestingly, "Chinatown" is celebrated as one of the greatest screenplays in Hollywood history, but it was mostly Polanski's revisions that made it the celebrated classic.

by Anonymousreply 29July 3, 2024 3:18 AM

Chinatown could have only been made by Roman Polanski like Rosemary’s Baby could have only been made by Polanski. Someone from behind the Iron Curtain who could see the things Americans hid from themselves. The misery behind a young middle-class marriage with its Western conveniences and amusements; the corruption spilling out of every promise of civic progress in its government. The ability of evil to carry on in plain sight when “success” or “progress” was involved. And of course Polanski himself gave himself to.

by Anonymousreply 30July 3, 2024 3:37 AM

Polanski is/was a superior director.

by Anonymousreply 31July 3, 2024 4:13 AM

"Chinatown" was very much a collaboration.

Polanski might be one of the greatest living filmmakers, but he became more of a sculptor of other's material in the latter part of his career - adapting fiction, non-fiction and plays to the screen than formulating his own original screenplays.

His worst film might be "What?" - which he made just prior to "Chinatown" - and is very much his own vision.

Polanski may have cut down and reshaped Towne's drafts, but he needed the material in the first place.

Plus Robert Evans himself intervened in post-production to reject Phillip Lambro's score and hire Jerry Goldsmith.

Do we really think the film would have been better without Goldsmith?

by Anonymousreply 32July 3, 2024 7:18 AM

Nope.

Chinatown works so well in part because Goldsmith used the musical cues of a horror movie. His greatest score, Planet of the Apes, did as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 3, 2024 8:42 AM

[Quote] Polanski may have cut down and reshaped Towne's drafts, but he needed the material in the first place.

Yes and it was good of Ed Taylor to provide it (without demanding a writing credit).

by Anonymousreply 34July 3, 2024 10:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!