Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1992: When Elizabeth Montgomery was the co-Grand Marshall of the LA Pride Parade

32 years ago, Elizabeth Montgomery accepted the invitation to be co-Grand Marshall of the LA Pride Parade, with her friend and former 'Bewitched' costar Dick Sargent, who had recently come out as gay. On the morning of June 28, 1993 - the day of the parade - her personal hairdresser arrived at her house to do her hair and make-up. When he went upstairs to her bedroom, he saw Liz with her head down into the palms of her hands, crying uncontrollably on the side of the bed. He asked what was wrong, and she told him she had just found out that her mother died a few hours earlier.

He went over to sit on the bed next to her, to comfort the 59 year old actress, and told her she didn't have to attend the parade - they would understand. She told him she couldn't drop out; she had committed to her friend Dick Sargent and had committed to her fans in the community. She had to do it.

He ended up doing her hair and make-up, and helped her pick out her clothes for the day. Yet she still couldn't stop crying, and her eye make-up kept smudging. She didn't want her fans seeing her like that. Her hairdresser then went over to her collection of sunglasses, and picked out a pair of glasses that would cover all her eyes. "This is what you'll do today", he said. He instructed her to wear her sunglasses all day, even if she went inside. As the day went on, she never took her sunglasses off. There was a record number of attendees that day, mostly 'Bewitched' fans who wanted to see their favorite two stars. She didn't disappoint. To this day, many people still post pictures on social media of the photos they took with her that day, or the autograph they got from her that day. No one knew about her heartbreak of losing her mother.

Sad to say, Montgomery herself died at 62, less than three years after her mother died.

by Anonymousreply 23July 5, 2024 1:32 AM

"a pair of sunglasses that would cover all her eyes."

So how many eyes did she have total?

by Anonymousreply 1July 2, 2024 7:24 AM

R1, more than "eye."

by Anonymousreply 2July 2, 2024 8:00 AM

By all accounts she was a lovely human and loved us gay boys beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 3July 2, 2024 8:07 AM

She was great. Taken too soon!

by Anonymousreply 4July 2, 2024 8:12 AM

Here's some video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 2, 2024 10:11 AM

I sang my groovy hit song on the main stage at that ame event. "I'm Gonna Blow...You a Kiss...in the Wiiiinnnnd." I got raucious applause after the "Blow" part...

by Anonymousreply 6July 2, 2024 7:30 PM

The children yearn for Amazon warehouse jobs.

by Anonymousreply 7July 2, 2024 9:03 PM

I was there. There crowds cheered on Elizabeth and her 'Bewitched' co-star, Dick Sargent.

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2024 5:52 AM

R8 - Did you cheer?

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2024 5:56 AM

^^I cheered wildly.

by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2024 5:59 AM

Elizabeth Montgomery was never awarded am Emmy. If anybody deserved one for lifetime achievement, it was her. Disgraceful!!!

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2024 7:50 AM

It must have been incredibly difficult for her that day, class act

by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2024 3:31 PM

That's a star.

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2024 3:38 PM

Elizabeth made a lot of great TV movies, too. Lizzie Borden stands out, but I also love The Victim.

And "Between Darkness & The Dawn" is absurd but entertaining.

I am surprised she didn't win an Emmy during her career.

by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2024 3:46 PM

Where did you get this story from, OP? (Also, legend has it that when asked why she accepted the role of grand marshal she said, "I did it for the love of Dick.")

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2024 1:28 AM

Too bad it was the real Derwood with her.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2024 1:37 AM

She must have been nominated for multiple Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2024 1:39 AM

Montgomery was nominated for multiple Emmys during her run on 'Bewitched', but lost out to Lucy just about every time (I think she lost out to Mary Tyler Moore in 1970).

R15 It was on Facebook a few days ago - showed up on my feed, her hairdresser posted it. (Not sure how it got on my feed or why).

FUN TRIVIA - aside from Carol Burnett, Montgomery was also best friends with actress Liz Sheridan (best known as 'Helen', Jerry's mother on 'Seinfeld'). The three of them met each other in the 50s when they were auditioning for jobs on Broadway, early in their career. Sheridan was known as 'Dizzy' , a nickname she had since she was a child. Montgomery then took on the nickname 'Lizzie' - so the two of them would be known as 'Dizzy and Lizzie' among their friends on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 18July 4, 2024 3:03 AM

More info.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2024 12:50 AM

She was so fucking gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2024 12:53 AM

"NOTHING enters your mind????"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2024 1:30 AM

And Dick Sargent would die from cancer in less than two years.

Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 22July 5, 2024 1:31 AM

Sorry...it was "NOTHING enters your head at all?!"

by Anonymousreply 23July 5, 2024 1:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!