Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Beryl is a Category 4 BITCH!

Beryl, the first hurricane of the 2024 Atlantic season, intensified to an extremely dangerous Category 4 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 130 mph Sunday morning, as it made its way toward the Windward Islands.

Beryl is now the earliest Category 4 hurricane on record in the Atlantic Ocean and the only Category 4 storm ever recorded in the month of June.

Tropical storm-force winds are expected to reach the Windward Islands late Sunday or early Monday.

The early timing of the season’s first hurricane is unusual, given the average date for the first hurricane is August 11.

As of 5 p.m. ET, Beryl was about 250 miles east southeast of Barbados, heading west.

“A life-threatening storm surge will raise water levels by as much as 6 to 9 feet above normal tide levels in areas of onshore flow near where the eye makes landfall in the hurricane warning area,” the National Hurricane Center said, adding that the surge could bring large and destructive waves near the coast.

The hurricane is strengthening quickly, increasing 55 mph in the 24 hours before Sunday morning.

“We’re forecasting rapid intensification and expecting Beryl to become a major hurricane before it reaches places like Barbados and the Windward islands and continue to be a powerful hurricane as it moves into the eastern and central Caribbean as we go into the early portions of next week,” hurricane center Director Mike Brennan told CNN’s Fredricka Whitfield on Saturday.

The hurricane center defines rapid intensification as an increase in maximum sustained wind speed of 35 mph or more in a 24-hour period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 11, 2024 2:21 AM

TEAM BERYL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2024 11:41 PM

Beryl team.

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2024 11:45 PM

Mexico?

That's terrible.

Texas?

Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2024 11:49 PM

First Cat 4 this early in the season, historic.

by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2024 11:59 PM

Lots of historic weather firsts this year, R4.

[quote] Las Vegas heat forecast likely to bake June into weather history

After a few days of respite from the 100s, June 2024 is set to make a run to officially become the hottest June in Las Vegas weather history.

It starts Friday with a projected high of 107 in central Las Vegas … and it goes up from there.

Daily highs around 110 and morning lows in the mid-80s are forecast by the Las Vegas office of the National Weather Service from Saturday through Thursday, close to the end of June.

As of Thursday, the June average daily temperature (average of the high and low) was 92.6, two-tenths short of the record heat of 92.8 for the first 20 days of June set in 2016.

The June daily average temperature will surpass 92.8 degrees by the end of the month — if the forecast of lows around 85 and highs of 110 are on target.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 1, 2024 1:12 AM

Forecast map.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 1, 2024 1:27 AM

Hurricane experts and meteorologists watched in shock over the weekend as Tropical Storm Beryl continued to strengthen quickly in the tropical Atlantic Ocean far earlier than storms typically do, with record-warm ocean temperatures helping it make history.

Within 24 hours after forming as a tropical depression, Beryl's winds had reached hurricane strength – 75 mph – by 5 p.m. Saturday, with an impressive form on satellite images.

The National Hurricane Center forecast projected Saturday afternoon that favorable conditions would help Beryl rapidly intensify to a major hurricane – with wind speeds up to 115 mph – as it reached Barbados and the fringe of islands that border the eastern Caribbean on Monday morning. Beryl exceeded their expectations, by a lot.

By 11:30 a.m. Sunday, Beryl had become a Category 4 hurricane, with winds of 130 mph. That's a gain of 95 mph in just 42.5 hours.

Once it moves into the Caribbean later Monday it will encounter another body of water historically warm for this early in the summer. The hurricane center expects it to remain a hurricane as it reaches Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula on Friday.

"If you asked the water in the Caribbean Sea what day it was, it would guess September 10,” said Brian McNoldy, a senior research scientist at the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School, in a post on X Saturday morning.

The warm ocean temperatures continue a record-breaking trend that began in May 2023. Like many scientists, McNoldy has been riveted by the exceedingly warm temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico. In June, he called the water temperatures in the region where hurricanes typically develop in the Atlantic “absolutely stunning.”

On Saturday, he posted on X: “You'd think the shock value of this would wear off, but it's becoming MORE shocking!”

So far in 2024, ocean heat content has been even hotter on most days than the records set last summer. That's dangerous for hurricane season because warm water is like a big, juicy energy drink for hurricanes, supplying warm moisture that helps fuel the inner core structure that makes storms stronger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 1, 2024 1:47 AM

That's a strong sucker for so early in the year.

by Anonymousreply 8July 1, 2024 2:00 AM

Fuck any state that borders the Gulf. Hope they all die.

by Anonymousreply 9July 1, 2024 2:05 AM

R3

Galveston and Houston are blue.

by Anonymousreply 10July 1, 2024 2:07 AM

Beryl's a busy gal, she's got places to go.

by Anonymousreply 11July 1, 2024 3:21 AM

It’s now a Category 5 hurricane.

Pleasr god it scores a direct hit on Mar a Lago.

by Anonymousreply 12July 2, 2024 3:23 AM

beryl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 2, 2024 3:27 AM

My wife, the actress, Beryl Crowne.

by Anonymousreply 14July 2, 2024 3:33 AM

VIVIEN! CLEAR THE HYDRANGEAS OFF THE PATIO!

by Anonymousreply 15July 2, 2024 3:43 AM

Meryl is a CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2024 4:10 AM

Any relation to Cheryl?

by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2024 5:20 AM

[quote] Hurricane Beryl strengthens into Category 5 as it churns towards Jamaica

Hurricane Beryl strengthened into a Category 5 storm Monday night, intensifying after making landfall on Carriacou Island, Grenada’s second-largest island, earlier in the day. Beryl’s sustained winds have now reached 160 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center, and a hurricane warning has been issued for Jamaica later this week.

Beryl is now the earliest storm to reach the most severe Category 5 level in the Atlantic. Its emergence marks an early start to the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season, which typically doesn’t ramp up until late July or August. Here's what you need to know.

🌊 Beryl is now a Category 5

Beryl's escalation into a Category 5 hurricane is expected to bring "life-threatening winds" and storm surge to Jamaica Wednesday, according to the hurricane center.

A Category 5 hurricane is defined as a hurricane with sustained winds above 157 mph.

Due to record warm water temperatures for this time of year, Beryl transformed from a tropical depression on Friday to a tropical storm on Saturday morning, before it was upgraded to a hurricane hours later. Its strength has intensified quickly from there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 2, 2024 6:52 AM

Not in the hurricane zone, but we're considering canceling our booked vacation in Oregon because of the oppressive heat. It's supposed to be 99 degrees on Saturday.

It's turning into hell on earth.

by Anonymousreply 19July 2, 2024 7:24 AM

"Because of the ocean’s heat, Beryl formed farther east in the Atlantic than any storm has in the month of June, breaking a record set by an unnamed storm that formed east of the Caribbean on June 24, 1933.

The warm ocean temperature is one of the main reasons experts have been predicting an extremely active hurricane season this year. It is also why forecasters from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, who predict there will be eight to 13 hurricanes this season, believe about half of those will reach major hurricane status, as Beryl did this weekend.

Usually, early season activity doesn’t have much bearing on the rest of the season’s activity. But, in June, when that activity occurs as far east as Beryl did, Klotzbach says, “it tends to be a harbinger of a very busy season.”

by Anonymousreply 20July 2, 2024 12:12 PM

Beryl just wobbled north a bit and instead of grazing Jamaica and heading in to the jungle in the Yucatan, it looks like they're going to get a direct hit. Cancun is now in serious danger. Tourists need to get out of there yesterday.

BTW- I've never met a Beryl in real life. I had to look up what the name meant.-

Beryl is a green-gray stone. It was likened up the "color of the sea." The Hebrew word for Beryl is Shosham. It is believe this gemstone represented the tribe of Joseph. There are many different types of beryl, emerald and aquamarine are just a few. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 21July 2, 2024 12:23 PM

Catagory five now!

by Anonymousreply 22July 2, 2024 12:29 PM

Read the thread, fellow DL posters.

by Anonymousreply 23July 2, 2024 12:31 PM

I used to do Hurricane Threads back the DL days of old. Misty watercolor memories...

This one looks like it's about to put a world of hurt across the southern coast of Jamaica, and then slowly weaken due to wind shear as it heads west to Mexico, per the National Hurricane Center. Not likely to turn north and threaten the US.

But what's troubling is the records Beryl has broken. Furthest-east hurricane formation ever, earliest Cat 4 in the Atlantic ever, etc. Ocean temps will keep going higher and causing more and worse storms. People still buying homes along the Florida and Texas and Gulf coastlines are in some kind of denial.

by Anonymousreply 24July 2, 2024 12:57 PM

Torta!!

OMG I remember you from back in the day.

Where have you been?

You never post any more.

Welcome back!

by Anonymousreply 25July 2, 2024 12:58 PM

R25, hi! I posted a Hello thread when I rejoined back on June 21 or so, and it was a lively conversation, try searching my name or the word Decade (in thread title)

by Anonymousreply 26July 2, 2024 1:11 PM

👍👍👍👍

by Anonymousreply 27July 2, 2024 1:15 PM

[quote]Fuck any state that borders the Gulf. Hope they all die.

You seem nice.

by Anonymousreply 28July 2, 2024 1:25 PM

What weather websites do you prefer? I like Windy dotcom because of the graphics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 2, 2024 1:30 PM

Barbados is already feeling the impact of Beryl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 2, 2024 2:01 PM

A weatherman said "If you asked the Caribbean what day it was it would say September 10th".

If you asked the Jersey shore it would say "I don't give a fuck, get outta here before I drown you"

by Anonymousreply 31July 2, 2024 2:32 PM

Maya, you in trouble girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 2, 2024 2:57 PM

Video of it hitting Carriacou as a Cat 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 2, 2024 3:25 PM

That's global warming for ya!

by Anonymousreply 34July 2, 2024 3:28 PM

It really is climate change and I hope the people who have buried their heads in the sand finally wake up. But they won’t.

by Anonymousreply 35July 2, 2024 4:37 PM

I've never experienced anything more than 50 mph gusts, where you sort of lose your balance for a sec. Multiply that by three- and for an extended length of time?

by Anonymousreply 36July 2, 2024 9:42 PM

R33’s link is mind blowing. I’ve never seen storm footage that severe.

by Anonymousreply 37July 2, 2024 9:45 PM

Cat 5 and heading to Jamaica.

by Anonymousreply 38July 2, 2024 9:58 PM

Climate change is a hoax!

by Anonymousreply 39July 2, 2024 9:58 PM

I won't be sad if Jamaica gets annihilated; fucking homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 40July 2, 2024 10:03 PM

likely

by Anonymousreply 41July 2, 2024 10:07 PM

At least we're alive...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 2, 2024 10:12 PM

Turn right and north!

by Anonymousreply 43July 2, 2024 10:20 PM

The storms are kind of beautiful

by Anonymousreply 44July 2, 2024 10:32 PM

bad for insurance companies. good for those cleaning up and construction types...

by Anonymousreply 45July 3, 2024 3:01 PM

I finally bought flood insurance yesterday. Late, but in 29 days I will have coverage. And I'm eating out of the freezer for now so I wouldn't lose as much food if I were to lose power.

by Anonymousreply 46July 3, 2024 3:04 PM

Sheryl Lee Ralph rides out storm in Jamaica

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 3, 2024 4:03 PM

[quote] Video of it hitting Carriacou as a Cat 4

Curacao?

by Anonymousreply 48July 3, 2024 4:19 PM

Dreamgurl, get outta there!

by Anonymousreply 49July 3, 2024 4:21 PM

Live from Jamaica.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 3, 2024 4:52 PM

If it was Hurricane Cheryl it would have been category 5 olfactory destruction.

by Anonymousreply 51July 3, 2024 5:06 PM

200 mph winds. I don't leave the house when we have sustained winds here of 20-30 mph. I can't even imagine those winds tenfold.

by Anonymousreply 52July 3, 2024 5:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 3, 2024 5:29 PM

too many humans on this planet anyway...it's killing earth. Mother Nature is seeking revenge

by Anonymousreply 54July 3, 2024 6:27 PM

Coastal Texas residents from Brownsville to the Houston area need to prepare for the potential arrival of tropical storm force winds and storm surge flooding as early as Sunday morning, while keeping in mind that this storm has rapidly intensified multiple times in its long lifetime. Warmer seas and higher air temperatures helps fuel these storms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 5, 2024 7:42 PM

I don't know why they keep saying it's headed for Mexico. The outer bands are already hitting Nawlinz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 5, 2024 7:45 PM

It weakened after crossing the Yucatan but expect it will restrengthen over the water before it hits Texas.

by Anonymousreply 57July 6, 2024 12:44 AM

Yeah. Even an idiot like me knows the warm gulf waters will cause it to intensify.

by Anonymousreply 58July 6, 2024 3:31 AM

so what's happening so far?

by Anonymousreply 59July 6, 2024 2:08 PM

Has Ted Cruz fled Texas yet? He tends to do that in emergencies.

by Anonymousreply 60July 6, 2024 2:11 PM

Expanding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 6, 2024 2:44 PM

Please do your best beryl to destroy!!

by Anonymousreply 62July 7, 2024 3:18 PM

Unfortunately Beryl looks like a dud, but it's still early in the season.

See you soon Ted!

by Anonymousreply 63July 7, 2024 3:34 PM

The outer bands are already causing street flooding in Houston.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 7, 2024 4:28 PM

Let us know when people in Houston start realizing this is the new normal.

by Anonymousreply 65July 7, 2024 4:37 PM

What is the latest? Loss of power?

by Anonymousreply 66July 10, 2024 1:55 PM

More than just loss of power...10 dead so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 10, 2024 4:16 PM

Serves them right, destroy the cunts, less votes for orange turd!

by Anonymousreply 68July 11, 2024 1:54 AM

Fewer!

by Anonymousreply 69July 11, 2024 2:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!