Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eating outside in very hot weather

Why are so many people obsessed with this? I don't want to "enjoy the garden" or "enjoy the sunshine" when the weather's hot: I want to sit in and enjoy the air conditioning.

by Anonymousreply 76August 3, 2024 7:29 PM

Give me shade or AC.

I'll sit in the sun if it's 65 degrees.

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2024 10:07 PM

Inveterate inside diner here --unless you're somewhere where they know how to make you comfortable. I'd enjoy myself poolside in Hawaii, say, but there has to be some shade. A friend's father used to say that only hoboes eat outdoors.

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2024 10:11 PM

That’s why Southern California is paradise. You can eat outside all year long.

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2024 10:28 PM

I like eating breakfast or lunch on my patio on a sunny, pleasant day, but as soon last the humidity rises I'm back inside.

by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2024 10:29 PM

R4 Me too 😝

by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2024 10:30 PM

I like the sting of tiger mosquitoes while I am gobbling overpriced spaghetti on 6th Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2024 10:31 PM

Yeah, I eat inside to avoid bugs.

by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2024 10:37 PM

That's one thing Manhattan doesn't have, R6 -- mosquitoes.

by Anonymousreply 8June 30, 2024 10:38 PM

I like fiercely debating whether a wasp or a hornet is menacing my vichyssoise

by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2024 10:38 PM

[quote] That's one thing Manhattan doesn't have, [R6] -- mosquitoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2024 10:40 PM

R10 ya dumm ho

I said MANHATTAN

by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2024 10:46 PM

R11 😂. Lawd.

by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2024 10:48 PM

Eating outdoors is always fucked - condiments and extra napkins are missing, seating has pigeon shit on it, the tiny table is meant for booze, and everything is coated in city grime.

The restaurants in cities in which I’ve lived are too car-centric for sidewalk dining. Car exhaust, fentanyl, and fruit-flavored vape do not sound appetizing to me.

by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2024 11:01 PM

R7, I was referring to 6th Avenue in Cherry Hill, NJ.

by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2024 11:15 PM

Depends on JUST how hot it is outside, and what is being eaten.

by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2024 11:18 PM

I don't get it either, OP. I have a friend like that. I'm more open to eating outside than I was before COVID, but not if it's HOT - and it doesn't matter how nice the weather is if I don't have shade.

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2024 11:19 PM

I don't like to eat outside when there are sweat bees hovering around, so that means any hot days past the last of Spring.

by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2024 11:19 PM

sweat bees?

by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2024 11:24 PM

R18 I ain’t never heard of that either.

by Anonymousreply 19June 30, 2024 11:30 PM

I don’t mind a proper back patio or garden, but eating in the former bus lane of a NYC street is just repulsive to me. It made sense peak-Covid when I was so tired of cooking and doing dishes 7 days a week, home alone every night. But now when it’s not a necessity, I avoid “street” dining at all costs. DoorDash guys on electric bikes zooming around diners, crazy homeless having shouting matches with their other personalities, every third passerby smoking a joint and blowing weed smoke all over my carbonara, the ubiquitous NYC stench. Thank you, no.

by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2024 11:34 PM

Starting to think ThrillerNight is Teacake.

by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2024 11:41 PM

I love sitting outside in the shade. I don't understand voluntarily lying or sitting in the sun.

by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2024 11:47 PM

Me and my cat wish we had an outdoor place to ear ( :

by Anonymousreply 23June 30, 2024 11:47 PM

Are the sweat bees more like the killer bees or the murder hornets?

by Anonymousreply 24June 30, 2024 11:50 PM

You all sound fat.

by Anonymousreply 25June 30, 2024 11:53 PM

R10 Mistaken link pasted but you are still WRONG. Some of us lived through many Manhattan sprayings. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 30, 2024 11:53 PM

R17, R18, R24, They're small bees that are attracted to your perspiration and will quickly sting if you try to swat them away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 1, 2024 12:00 AM

Thanks. I grew up in the Hudson Valley and I've never heard of Sweat Bees.

by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2024 12:07 AM

I like eating outside so I can bring my rescue dog. I don't like doing it when it's hot.

by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2024 12:08 AM

Is it a rescue dog?

by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2024 12:53 AM

Agree, OP.

by Anonymousreply 31July 1, 2024 12:58 AM

So many restaurants in my area put tables on the sidewalks, in the parking lot, in the bus lanes, etc and promote it as 'al fresco' dining. Sorry - there's nothing 'al fresco' about inhaling car fumes while you're trying to eat your $50 dinner. I'll eat indoors.

by Anonymousreply 32July 1, 2024 2:05 AM

Bonus points if it’s a foster fail, R30

by Anonymousreply 33July 1, 2024 2:36 AM

In some cultures people are more likely to eat outside in the other three seasons. In Switzerland many skiers eat outside on sunny days without wind. Outdoor cafes seem to crowd up on vaguely warm spring and fall days.

by Anonymousreply 34July 1, 2024 2:58 AM

On the flip side, in San Francisco, they put tables and chairs outside and it's fucking cold.

by Anonymousreply 35July 1, 2024 4:08 AM

It’s a frau thing. They think it’s fun and special.

by Anonymousreply 36July 1, 2024 4:10 AM

In my experience, eating outside is only pleasant in early autumn and early spring when the weak sun looks more like a studio light than an actual sun. I'm talking northern hemisphere here.

by Anonymousreply 37July 1, 2024 5:00 AM

I love eating outside in my local Greek restaurant later at night. And it’s BYOB.

by Anonymousreply 38July 1, 2024 11:01 AM

My sister from Nashville is craving to eat outdoors in NYC. Guess she's used to heat and humidity.

by Anonymousreply 39July 1, 2024 1:42 PM

A bit of shade on a blistering hot day with cold drinks is a pleasure in life.

I don't mind heat and like to eat outside provided there is some shade or a bit of air circulation. To be fair, mostly I do this at bars and cafes more than at home, but I will take a drink and a dish of olives or something to enjoy in the patio. Humidity is very low where I live so I enjoy the heat of the day. If you have a proper patio close at hand to your kitchen it's great; otherwise I don't like hauling food and the necessary things back and forth.

by Anonymousreply 40July 1, 2024 1:52 PM

R39 Is she the 'hawk tuah' girl ?

by Anonymousreply 41July 2, 2024 12:45 AM

Eating out WHAT or WHO outside?!

by Anonymousreply 42July 2, 2024 2:39 AM

Eating outside?

I don't even like eating insides in very hot weather.

by Anonymousreply 43July 2, 2024 3:20 AM

Yes R21. It's everyone's "favorite" cunt.

by Anonymousreply 44July 2, 2024 5:14 AM

[quote]I like fiercely debating whether a wasp or a hornet is menacing my vichyssoise

Hornets ARE wasps.

by Anonymousreply 45July 2, 2024 5:26 AM

sweat bees???!!!!

wtf?

by Anonymousreply 46July 2, 2024 6:33 AM

Nothing worse than sitting in the relentless sun, trying to enjoy your meal as flies and wasps team up to make your life downright miserable.

Lovely in early spring, first weeks of autumn.

by Anonymousreply 47July 2, 2024 6:40 AM

Is there anything in life more pleasant than sitting in 95 degree temperature with 80% humidity to attend an outdoor wedding in August? Why? Because the fucking bride always dreamed of having an outdoor wedding. But, she realized that the guests might be hot, so each of them was given a fan with Kaylee and Zander's picture on it. The pleasure continues with the outdoor buffet which had been attacked by flies and bees. Eating while swatting flies and listening to the shrieks of screaming children is certainly something that brings such great pleasure to everyone, especially followed by the maid of honor's speech which lasts 20 minutes ( 5 minutes originally, but 15 minutes of sobbing). But, you get to take home a piece of melted cake.

by Anonymousreply 48July 2, 2024 1:41 PM

I have no desire to go to a pricey restaurant to dine al fresco. Paying good money for restaurant food while inhaling carbon monoxide fumes from passing cars, trucks and buses seems like a really bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 49July 2, 2024 1:46 PM

[quote]Paying good money for restaurant food while inhaling carbon monoxide fumes from passing cars, trucks and buses seems like a really bad idea.

Not exactly what everyone else had in mind, R49

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 2, 2024 3:00 PM

I don't enjoy eating outside unless at my own home where I can control how long I stay out there- not at a restaurant where I'm stuck out there the whole time. Mosquitoes pretty much are ruining it for So CA, though. Those tiger ones.

by Anonymousreply 51July 2, 2024 3:05 PM

Can't do it. Spring, yes, but summer, he'll no.

by Anonymousreply 52July 2, 2024 3:13 PM

It’s like a bath. I see people taking baths on TV and in movies and it looks sensuous, relaxing, Klassy. Then I sit in my own filth in rapidly cooling water.

by Anonymousreply 53July 2, 2024 5:17 PM

[quote] That’s why Southern California is paradise. You can eat outside all year long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 31, 2024 11:52 PM

I eat ass inside

by Anonymousreply 55July 31, 2024 11:54 PM

I can't believe you don't want to sit outside and enjoy the gorgeous views. Nothing better than al fresco dining in Europe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 1, 2024 12:07 AM

Oh, so you're saying that you live in Capri, r56?

by Anonymousreply 57August 1, 2024 12:11 AM

Was in line at restaurant. here in NYC the other day waiting to be seated by hostess. She asks party before us if they would like to sit outside. They replied "Hmmm...Is it nice outside"? She deadpans "Did you get here by tunnel"? I LOVE HER.

by Anonymousreply 58August 1, 2024 12:18 AM

From what I hear from my boys in Chester County, Philly, NYC & DC weather are brutal for the next 10 days. Lake Forest& Lake Michigan, it was beautiful there.

La Jolla& San Diego weather is wonderful, 1 fire is 35 miles away-73 degrees in SD, great weather. 67 degrees in La Jolla, great beach weather. Dining outside is great.

by Anonymousreply 59August 1, 2024 1:38 AM

Eating outside in the summer overlooking the sea is cool but only at night.

by Anonymousreply 60August 1, 2024 1:40 AM

Q for you Outdoorsy Types:

Do bees and/or wasps eat meat? When I put a little wet food outside for my neighbor’s cat (who likes to visit), what looks like a small-ish bee is always interested, and proceeds to crawl about the saucer.

Don’t those insects just eat pollen etc?

by Anonymousreply 61August 1, 2024 1:40 AM

FFS, I live in Spain and eat outside all the time, all the year. Even on very hot days in the the hot regions, if there's shade or awnings, it's lovely and relaxed. And I've never once had to chase away flies, mosquitoes, wasps, pigeons, or other wildlife. On the hottest, brightest mid-afternoons it affects your choice of where to take a drink or food; you avoid the always sunbaked corner with the too small umbrellas and remember the place nearby under trees or the shade of buildings at that time of day. And late in the evening it's fantastic.

I'm not a big wilderness fanatic, but some of you seem very delicate about setting foot outside your front door.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 1, 2024 3:13 AM

I remember someone on DL telling a story of a friend just dying to eat al fresco while visiting him in NYC. He was reluctant but eventually agreed. At some point a homeless man passed and let out a rancid fart.

by Anonymousreply 63August 1, 2024 4:02 AM

The only appropriate time to eat outside is if you are camping.

by Anonymousreply 64August 1, 2024 4:09 AM

I don't mind if the weather is just warm but I like an umbrella. Here though, it's muggy and hot on with blistering sun and bugs. When I was in Europe we were usually pestered by homeless junkies or gypsies.

by Anonymousreply 65August 1, 2024 4:09 AM

R47, where I live (US Mid-Atlantic) early fall is peak yellowjacket season, so that doesn’t work. The first really warm days in spring are lovely for eating outside.

R62, different people have different tolerances for heat. Air-conditioning is almost universal here, so Americans aren't used to tolerating wide temperature ranges. Also, perhaps you do not have an abundance of annoying insects in Spain, but much of the US we do.

by Anonymousreply 66August 1, 2024 4:13 AM

R[64] Camping??? I would think someone who likes camping is someone who loves to eat “en plein air” all the time. I love to eat outside if it’s at a great restaurant with cloth tablecloths , misted air and great service. I, however, absolutely abhor camping. To me camping is far worse than eating outside.

by Anonymousreply 67August 1, 2024 5:02 AM

To me, outdoor air changes the flavor of food, and not in a good way. So I never prefer to dine outdoors.

[quote]R61: Do bees and/or wasps eat meat?

Yellow jackets are carnivores. They pick clean the carcasses of small animals (birds, mice).

Carrion bees eat meat, generally attacking carcasses first through the eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 1, 2024 5:29 AM

What is wrong with you people? I made everyone dress up in heavy gowns and wigs and no one complained!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 1, 2024 6:00 AM

[quote]Air-conditioning is almost universal here, so Americans aren't used to tolerating wide temperature ranges.

Oh, fancy! Air conditioning!

by Anonymousreply 70August 1, 2024 6:34 AM

Sweat bees and deer flies suck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 1, 2024 7:36 AM

[quote]R68 Yellow jackets are carnivores. They pick clean the carcasses of small animals (birds, mice). Carrion bees eat meat, generally attacking carcasses first through the eyes.

Thank you! I bet the guys interested in kitty’s wet food are yellow jackets.

Honeybee colonies are fascinating. But now I have to look up the Carrion Bee!

by Anonymousreply 72August 1, 2024 11:44 AM

You seem fun

by Anonymousreply 73August 1, 2024 9:35 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 1, 2024 9:46 PM

[QUOTE] Air-conditioning is almost universal here, so Americans aren't used to tolerating wide temperature ranges.

It's universal in Spain as well. The only place it isn't common and should be is London. The city has a much warmer climate compared to the rest of the UK but still resists residential AC.

by Anonymousreply 75August 3, 2024 7:26 PM

I do not approve

by Anonymousreply 76August 3, 2024 7:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!