Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever woken up without knowing where you were or what time it was?

That just happened to me.

The outside light looked like it was late afternoon, and I woke up not knowing where I was, what time it was, or what happened before I fell asleep.

It was absolutely terrifying.

I googled the weather and discovered it was 6 am and not 6 pm, which confused the hell out of me.

I tried to recall what I was doing and what time it was before I went to sleep, but I couldn't remember.

So I slowly had to piece together what happened before I went to bed, and realized I had only slept for four hours.

And that it's morning, and not late afternoon.

That is some scary shit.

by Anonymousreply 45October 1, 2024 10:10 PM

I certainly have!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2024 2:29 PM

Winter in Chicago - had flown in from LA after working through the night - got to my hotel around 6pm.

I had to wake up at 6am to drive to another part of the city to pick up my parents at their hotel. I woke with a start and looked at my watch - 7 - shit! I overslept.

I quickly got ready and drove all the way to their hotel before i realized it was actually 7:45 pm and I’d only slept for an hour.

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2024 2:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2024 2:49 PM

Oh, Kermie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2024 2:51 PM

time to get a brain scan!

Dementia is in your future!

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2024 3:01 PM

Where were you the night before? were you drinking? drugs?

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2024 3:01 PM

Yes, on an unfortunate field trip to the planetarium. A particularly soothing presenter’s voice coupled with the cool dark and a surprisingly comfortable seat led to me lapsing into light and then deep sleep, only to be interrupted by impatient children shaking my shoulders at the show’s conclusion, launching me into a jarring state of complete bewilderment.

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2024 3:01 PM

Yes, waking up and confusing evening with early morning. It happened a week or so ago when I fell asleep reading on the sofa. It was kind of overcast so I thought it was early morning. It didn't freak me out because it happened once before and it's kind of understandable since the visual cues are the same.

OTOH, never had a problem waking up and not knowing where I am.

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2024 3:02 PM

OP waking up...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2024 3:06 PM

You were just having a senior moment, OP.

Happens to the best of us, even presidents!

by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2024 3:10 PM

One time I was like 3 blocks from work when I noticed the streets were emptier than usual. I asked the cabbie what day it was, "Sunday." I thought it was Monday. I sheepishly asked him to turn around.

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2024 3:10 PM

Lol R11.

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2024 3:13 PM

I've woken up not knowing what time it was when I've dozed off during the day but I've never not known where I was. The WTF feeling of thinking it was, say 7PM instead of 7AM, though, was confusing enough.

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2024 4:06 PM

I've never confused night for day, but many times I've awoken to believe I am someplace else entirely, most often my teenaged bedroom but on several occasions thinking I was in the tiny bedroom of my first apartment in Boston. Disorienting at first, but I've come to enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2024 5:01 PM

I fell asleep during the afternoon once when I was only in my 30s but very stressed, and I was awakened from a deep sleep by someone knocking at the door. Because it was dark when I opened the door I said to the person (who was a Jehovah's Witness or someone doing a survey, not someone I knew), "What time is it?" They said, "Six." I berated them for waking me so early in the morning. I genuinely thought I'd slept all night. It wasn't till I turned the radio on that I realized my error, by which time they had long fled into the night.

by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2024 5:08 PM

I lived with my mom as a child and as an adult (part of my adult life). When she died, her house got sold. In retrospect, that was the only place that felt like "home."

Anyway, I sometimes wake up and feel like I'm in that bedroom in my mom's house.

I think it's a stress reaction. Trying to go back to somewhere comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2024 5:42 PM

I went out with some friends one night and got super drunk. At the last club we went to, I started grinding on a hot guy on the dance floor. He invited me back to his hotel room, so we jumped into a cab and went there. He had a nice suite with more bottles of alcohol and a full ice bucket. I remember thinking, Wow, this guy’s smooth and classy.

The next thing I knew, I awakened, freezing cold. I was in the bath tub partially submerged in cold water and ice cubes. It was light outside and the sun in my eyes probably woke me up. I was so sore though and began to wonder what I had done the night before. I moved slightly to get out of the tub when I felt a sharp pain in my flank. I put my hand on the pain and felt a wound dressing. That motherfucker had harvested a kidney!

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2024 6:22 PM

^^^^^

Urban Legend.

by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2024 6:25 PM

Yes, multiple times in a week. I was exhausted and I booked a cheap, inside cabin on a cruise ship. Between the engine sound, the motion and the dark, I never slept better in my life; 20 years later I still fantasize about it. Sex is easy, sleep is hard.

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2024 6:55 PM

Every Sunday afternoon nap ever

by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2024 6:55 PM

[quote] I was exhausted and I booked a cheap, inside cabin on a cruise ship.

What? You booked a cruise in order to get some sleep?

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2024 6:57 PM

^Not exactly, I had been working non-stop for months and I had a death in the family. I just needed to unplug and waking up a 2 and not knowing AM or PM was orgasmic.

by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2024 7:13 PM

Have you ever woken up to find yourself sucking your bedroom door knob thinking it’s your boss?

by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2024 7:51 PM

^^^meth is a terrible thing.

by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2024 8:20 PM

Where the fuck are you right now....do you know?

by Anonymousreply 25June 30, 2024 5:16 AM

Most of my 20s

by Anonymousreply 26June 30, 2024 8:10 AM

Jet lagged and checked in to Barcelona hotel with heavy blackout shades. Fell asleep around 8 PM and woke up around 9 am and asked where breakfast was, Staff just laughed and said it was 3 in the afternoon. I had slept 18 hours without realizing it. What a drag to lose so much of my first day in Barcelona.

by Anonymousreply 27June 30, 2024 8:49 AM

We should ask that one poster who replied about their breakfast habits relying on whose house they regained consciousness in.

by Anonymousreply 28June 30, 2024 8:54 AM

I had an awful drunk of a boyfriend in the early 90’s before cellphones- and to trick him, set his watch and every other clock in the house an hour earlier. He would work four hours every day counting money from Bostix receipts at Tower Records at 6am.

I woke him yelling, he quickly ran out of the house and showed up to a darkened store at 5am utterly confused.

Boy, was he mad! Lol

by Anonymousreply 29June 30, 2024 8:54 AM

A friend's wife went down for breakfast one Sunday morning and found a passed out teenager they didn't know sleeping on their couch. They live in a gated beach community and don't always lock their doors. She woke the kid who had no clue where he was but was very embarrassed and apologetic as he gathered himself and left.

by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2024 10:58 AM

Quite often in hotels, and brand new living arrangements, such as in the first night or two in a condo or house you've just moved into.

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2024 1:47 PM

[quote]It was absolutely terrifying.

Fuck off, clickbait dementia patient.

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2024 1:50 PM

Yes, what R31 said. It's common to experience a softer version of this that's not really a feeling of terror but definitely a moment of confusion. I've traveled where I'm in a different bed over a number of nights. And if the dreams are hitting hard waking up can briefly be a puzzle.

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2024 2:04 PM

[Quote] Have you ever woken up

Woke thread

by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2024 2:12 PM

Most recently when I was sick and didn’t keep to a schedule. Waking to watch tv whenever and then nodding off to sleep. Woke up one time and stared out the window (no view, just looking at the type of light) and tried for several minutes to figure out if it was early morning or late afternoon. Was kinda fun.

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2024 2:22 PM

After my first flight back to North America (east coast) from Australia. For about three weeks I'd wake up in the night, not knowing where I was or the time.

Sometimes, too, rarely, after a really good deep sleep.

I wouldn't worry til you find an iron in the freezer, OP.

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2024 2:24 PM

Do I know what today’s date is?

No

Do I care what today’s date is?

No

by Anonymousreply 37October 1, 2024 9:23 PM

I took 2 Ambien once and ended up peeing in my office chair.

by Anonymousreply 38October 1, 2024 9:38 PM

[quote]I took 2 Ambien once and ended up peeing in my office chair.

Sitting or standing?

by Anonymousreply 39October 1, 2024 9:40 PM

Yes, generally either traveling or if I take a nap. Occasionally I also don’t know who I am, but I assume part of my brain is still sleeping when that happens. (Not the onset of dementia since it’s been consistent since childhood) It’s disconcerting to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 40October 1, 2024 9:46 PM

Standing, I assume. I don't remember actually peeing. It was bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 41October 1, 2024 9:46 PM

Happened to me a couple weeks ago. Went to bed around 4 on on a Saturday night. Big plans to headed out in the morning to a gay campground after getting up early enough to do house work. I get up about 7. Look through the blinds, see the sun coming up. I scrubbed floors, I vaccumed , I folded laundry packed a few things for my day trip got into my car ready to ride. Only 9 am I’ll be poolside by 10:15. I pull out. It’s dark, it’s 9 pm Saturday night.. lol@me.

by Anonymousreply 42October 1, 2024 10:00 PM

This happens to me every night

by Anonymousreply 43October 1, 2024 10:07 PM

I've awakened with a start in a panic not knowing where I was or what time - mistakenly thinking it was morning, rather than late afternoon.

However, once I became fully awake I figured out where I was, then eventually realized it was afternoon, not morning.

by Anonymousreply 44October 1, 2024 10:09 PM

I’ve had a very long pain filled day. Took a tramadol and going to bed now

by Anonymousreply 45October 1, 2024 10:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!