Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Johnny Guitar” Tops Greatest Western Poll

A fascinating list of the 100 Greatest Westerns of All Time has gone up at Indiewire assembled by multiple writers and critics. The list charts from 1903-2023, with films representing every single decade in that period along with titles from five continents.

The list spans popular classics, esoteric indies, western-comedies and more. Several names pop up consistently including Sergio Leone, Howard Hawks, John Ford, Anthony Mann, Sam Peckinpah, Sergio Corbucci and Clint Eastwood.

The winner is Nicholas Ray’s 1954 film “Johnny Guitar” which was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress in 2008.

Joan Crawford leads the cast of the film as the hard-nosed Vienna, a saloon owner with a sordid past whose bar is frequented by the undesirables of the region including the eponymous former gunslinger and her lover.

When a string of robberies is pulled in town that results in a man’s death, Vienna’s sexually repressed rival Emma (Mercedes McCambridge) rallies the townsfolk in a lynch mob to take revenge on Vienna’s saloon and frame her – even without proof of her wrongdoing.

The film was dismissed by U.S. audiences at launch, but embraced by Europeans and has since been deemed revolutionary – an unconventional, highly stylized, often melodramatic film rich in subtext and ambiguities.

Coming in second is Dark Horizons’ top choice for the best western ever made – Sergio Leone’s 1968 epic “Once Upon a Time in the West” while third is John Ford’s “My Darling Clementine”.

Fourth is for the middle entry in Leone’s ‘Man with No Name’ trilogy – “For a Few Dollars More,” surprising considering they place the more popular “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” at #13 and the more iconic “A Fistful of Dollars” all the way down at #83.

Fifth is Robert Altman’s “McCabe and Mrs. Miller”. Also making the top ten are “Ride Lonesome,” “Stagecoach,” “Jeremiah Johnson,” “The Shooting” and “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance”.

Some of the most famous are further down the list including “Rio Bravo” at #12, “Ride the High Country” at #14, “The Searchers” at #16, “Unforgiven”at #18, “High Noon” at #19, “Red River” at #22, “Blazing Saddles” at #27, “Shane” at #33, “No Country for Old Men” at #34, “Treasure of the Sierra Madre” at #36, “Brokeback Mountain” at #42, “The Quick and the Dead” at #43, “The Wild Bunch” at #44, “3:10 to Yuma” at #46, “There Will Be Blood” at #47, “The Magnificent Seven” at #49, “The Rider” at #50.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2024 3:49 AM

At High Noon, Joan would shoot straight at your balls

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2024 1:13 AM

What I love about “Johnny Guitar” is that it is such an unconventional western hiding inside a very conventional one.

The brilliant colors used are so evocative and the leads are all excellent.

Is it the most enduring film produced by "Poverty Row" Republic Studio?

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2024 1:33 AM

Great film that took direct aim at HUAC and McCarthyism. Mercedes McCambridge steals the show.

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2024 2:57 AM

I liked that the dungarees were perfectly tailored.

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2024 2:59 AM

I sang the theme song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2024 3:01 AM

I have the original movie poster framed in my living room.

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2024 3:03 AM

It’s one of my favorite movies of all time, but it’s more of a fever dream than anything else. To make it the top western genre movie is more than a little silly.

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2024 2:42 PM

How do they define “Western?”

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2024 2:49 PM

“Has guns and horses”

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2024 2:50 PM

The Godfather has guns and horses.

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2024 2:54 PM

Are there any horses in No Country for Old Men?

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2024 2:55 PM

Silly to have such “lists”. But one of my favorite films of all time is Shane.

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2024 2:58 PM

Yes, R11.

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2024 3:00 PM

I thought Rancho Notorious would rank higher than #55.

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2024 3:45 PM

Is Red Garters on the list?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2024 5:08 PM

Fake list!!!

#1 should have been How the West Was Fun, starring the Olsen twins

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2024 5:13 PM

What else on the list ? The Harvey Girls and Girl Crazy?

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2024 5:46 PM

Several odd picks.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2024 7:16 PM

Definitely the best western with prominent vaginal imagery.

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2024 8:13 PM

Of course it is. That popeyed Yankee murderess doesn't have one of those!

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2024 8:30 PM

R1 of course screaming 😱 “if I can’t have a dick, no one can!”

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2024 2:26 AM

I taped this movie i was a kid and could recite the dialogue. I still remember some of it.

You're nothing but a railway tramp. You're not fit to live among decent people.

A man can lie, steal and even kill, but as long as he hangs onto his pride, he's still a man. All a woman has to do is slip once, and she's a TRAMP. It must be a great comfort to you to be a man.

by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2024 3:15 AM

It should’ve spawned a TV series on the DuMont Network—Joan and Mercedes could’ve fought off bad cowboys and wrestled each other on the saloon floor every week.

by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2024 3:19 AM

Fun Film-no question. Vienna vrs Emma -everyone was in it:Joan and Mercedes plus Sterling Hayden,Ernest Borgnine,Ward Bond,John Carradine good time.

by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2024 3:45 AM

and Scott Brady, and Ben Cooper as twink Turkey.

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2024 3:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!