Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

12 year old precocious prodigy graduates from high school at the top of his class

MALVERNE, N.Y. -- It's graduation season, and one senior on Long Island stands out. He's at the top of his class and is off to New York University -- and he's only 12 years old.

Suborno Isaac Bari is about to graduate from Malverne High School, inspiring his admiring classmates.

"Suborno can teach the class, and they are aware of that ... He's truly a prodigy," Principal Kesha Bascombe said.

"When I was 2 or 3, I already had memorized the periodic table," Suborno said.

He's been lecturing at universities since age 7.

"I've been trying to refine my pedagogy by teaching others overseas," Suborno told CBS New York's Jennifer McLogan.

He applied for college at age 11.

"He was still 11, and he had already written three college essays," said Melissa McGowan, at Malverne High School.

"His peers, three weeks before the AP exam, threw him an 11th birthday party. And he went on to score the highest grade in the AP BC Calculus class," guidance counselor Rebecca Gottesman said.

Suborno says his teachers and classmates make him feel like "an average kid."

When Suborno entered the Malverne district, his teachers alerted the superintendent of his brilliance. By fourth grade, Suborno was taking high school classes in the morning and elementary electives and clubs in the afternoon.

"Absolutely no shortcuts. He has gone through the toughest classes in the school, and he's applied to the top universities in the country," AP Chemistry teacher Patrick Nolan said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2024 3:21 AM

He's surprisingly normal, and not socially awkward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 26, 2024 9:55 PM

He's a funny kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 26, 2024 9:57 PM

[quote] 12 year old precocious prodigy graduates from high school at the top of his class

Intriguing. Tell me more.

by Anonymousreply 3June 26, 2024 9:59 PM

Some people have no desire for the pursuits of a normal childhood with the usual play and hijinx.

However, I always remember seeing an interview with a former "child prodigy" who said something like, "it's fine to want to push yourself and go to college as a child. However, in 10 years you're not a child marvel anymore. You're just another smart adult who no one cares about."

by Anonymousreply 4June 26, 2024 10:01 PM

Wrong or right, I find few things more insufferable than precociousness.

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2024 10:02 PM

That's so true, R4.

Of the countless child prodigies we've seen throughout the years, none of them has risen to the level of a Bill Gates or a Mark Zuckerberg.

They just seem to fade into obscurity.

I wonder why that is?

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2024 10:07 PM

R6, Gates was a nepo baby. His mother gave him a career.

by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2024 10:08 PM

What frat will he join? Will he start drinking and flunk out?

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2024 10:09 PM

[quote]They just seem to fade into obscurity.

[quote]I wonder why that is?

They mostly go into academics or research fields, not become business people or entrpreneurs. They go on to do things like solve the Millennium math problems, not become Instagram Hos.

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2024 10:14 PM

He'll be managing one of those convenience stores with gas pumps by the time he's 29.

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2024 10:18 PM

That’s the best school he could get into?

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2024 10:21 PM

More like he'll be performing open heart surgery on your fat ass, R10

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2024 11:24 PM

[quote] That’s the best school he could get into?

He's only 12.

He can't live in a college dormitory or rent his own apartment.

So I'm thinking that he has to attend a university that's close to home.

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2024 1:36 AM

When he actually wants to have those experiences, he'll be shit out of luck

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2024 2:24 AM

[quote] When he actually wants to have those experiences, he'll be shit out of luck

That ship has sailed. He's not like other kids his age, and he never has been.

He was lecturing at universities when he was 7 years old.

His life experience has likely been very different from that of his peers.

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2024 2:29 AM

Young Sheldon has a rival!

Honestly, I hope this is a blessing, and not a curse.

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2024 3:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!