Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Politicians and press square off in 15th Congressional Women's Softball Game

WASHINGTON (7News) — The 15th annual Congressional Women's Softball Game, the all-female counterpart to the Congressional Baseball Game, is taking place on June 26 and 7News has everything you need to know about Wednesday's politician vs. journalist showdown.

What is the Congressional Women's Softball Game?

The game was first played in 2009, organized by Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL), fmr. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson (R-MO, 1996-2013), Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), and Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME), following Wasserman Schultz's breast cancer diagnosis. The group initially brought together female members of Congress in a game against their female campaign staffers.

The next year, members of the D.C. press corps were asked to participate as the Members' opponents, thus the modern structure of the game was born.

All proceeds from the event will go towards the Young Survival Coalition, an organization dedicated to supporting young women with breast cancer.

Since its inception, the Congressional Women's Softball Game has raised over $3.7 million for the charity. Organizers estimate the 2024 game will raise over $600,000.

Who's going to be playing?

As mentioned earlier, unlike the Congressional Baseball Game, the softball game pits members of the U.S. Congress against local media.

The press corps is on a hot streak, winning six of the last seven games played, and are 10-4 all-time. Last year they defeated the politicians 15-9.

In the announcer's booth for Wednesday's contest will be MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell, joined by two former representatives and players themselves, Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-IL, 2013-23) and Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL, 1989-2019). The trio replaces longtime staples, CNN's Dana Bash and Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2024 5:19 AM

The rosters are as follows:

Congressional Team

Rep. Becca Balint (D-VT-At Large) Rep. Nanette Barragán (D-CA-44) Rep. Stephanie Bice (R-OK-05) (Team Captain) Rep. Nikki Budzinski (D-IL-13) Rep. Kat Cammack (R-FL-03) Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV) (Team Captain) Rep. Kathy Castor (D-FL-14) Rep. Lori Chavez-DeRemer (R-OR-05) Rep. Angie Craig (D-MN-02) Rep. Sharice Davids (D-KS-03) Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) (Team Captain) Rep. Erin Houchin (R-IN-9) (Rookie, Injured) Rep. Val Hoyle (D-OR-4) (Rookie) Rep. Sara Jacobs (D-CA-51) Rep. Jen Kiggans (R-VA-02) Rep. Teresa Leger Fernández (D-NM-03) Rep. Lisa McClain (R-MI-09) Rep. Mary Peltola (D-AK-At Large) Rep. Brittany Pettersen (D-CO-07) Rep. Hillary Scholten (D-MI-03) Rep. Kim Schrier (D-WA-08) Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL-25) (Team Captain) Coaches

Rep. Ed Perlmutter (Retired) Tori Barnes Jackie Del Bonis Natalie Joyce Jim Kiley Press Team

Bad News Babes (Press Corps) Jen Bendery, HuffPost Bridget Bowman, NBC News Lisa Desjardins, PBS NewsHour Gretchen Frazee, PBS NewsHour Emily Goodin, DailyMail.com(Captain) Erica Hendry, PBS NewsHour Emmarie Huetteman, KFF Health News Kasie Hunt, CNN Brianna Keilar, CNN Tamara Keith, NPR Katie Lobosco, CNN(Captain) Cassie Semyon, Spectrum News(Rookie) Lynn Sweet, Chicago Sun-Times Cicely Wedgeworth, New York Times(Rookie) Sarah Wire, USA Today Coaches

Carl Hulse, New York Times Abby Livingston, Puck News Ryan Nobles, NBC News Frank Thorp, NBC News

by Anonymousreply 1June 26, 2024 5:31 PM

DWS tweets

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 26, 2024 5:32 PM

More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 26, 2024 10:21 PM

I just knew Kasie Hunt would be on the journos team.

by Anonymousreply 4June 26, 2024 10:27 PM

R4 Why?

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2024 10:48 PM

OP - You forgot, "Lesbians Rejoice!"

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2024 11:24 PM

R6 Lol

by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2024 11:32 PM

The journalists won.

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2024 2:32 AM

R5 - About a decade ago when she first started as a political correspondent for MSNBC, there was much DL speculation she was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2024 2:55 AM

There should be some sort of separation between press and politicians.

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2024 2:57 AM

R9 Did not know that.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2024 4:22 AM

Wild, public homosexual orgies on every corner in DC!!!!!!! Someone think of the children!!!!

Trump24!!!!! No more eating pussy on America’s playgrounds. Enough is enough.!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2024 5:05 AM

As a little girl in 3rd or 4th grade the boys let me play baseball with them. I never got into softball. I thought it was bullshit with the big ass ball and underhand pitch

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2024 5:06 AM

Frank Thorp is one of the news coaches. I saw him interviewed about taking pictures of the aftermath of the Jan 6 riot in the Capitol and he got me hot under the collar. Married to Hallie Jackson. Looks like he might have a big one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2024 5:26 AM

Hallie Jackson!!! Whatever happened to her? I haven't watched MSNBC for a while, like two years! She was justifiably "prickly" a lot

Didn't either Andrea Mitchell or Katy Tur take over for Jackson upon her dissappearance? Saying again I haven't watched MSNBC for a couple of years. But the taking over turds? Too much.

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2024 6:43 AM

I have not seen Halie either.

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2024 5:59 PM

She’s the Senior Washington Correspondent for NBC News so she’s maybe moved up? in the world and hi r has to talk to Lester aHolt for two minutes a day.

If I had time I’d look into her relationship with Frank and if both of them were free agents when they got together. Work romances that spawn second marriages can be messy.

I guess Frank coached because maybe he was a junior baseball player, which is so hot to me.

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2024 5:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!