Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

!5 years ago: Remembering when Michael Jackson pushed Farrah Fawcett out of the headlines

15 years ago today, the world was mourning the death of actress Farrah Fawcett who lost her multi-year public battle with anal cancer - she was mourned until Michael Jackson's surprise death knocked her right out of the headlines. All the talk was about Jackson's death and Fawcett was nearly forgotten.

Both Barbara Walters and Larry King both acknowledged they had 'hour long specials' ready to pay tribute to Farrah Fawcett that night, but scrapped plans when news of Jackson's death broke. They devoted their prime time programs to Jackson.

I myself remember reading about Farrah's death on TMZ and their site kept updating with 'breaking news' about Jackson. I thought they were kidding. I switched to IMDB and they were doing the same.

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2024 10:00 AM

When I first heard the news I thought they meant the british radio host Michael Jackson. (He passed in 2022)

by Anonymousreply 1June 26, 2024 8:04 AM

I remember there were a number of reports that Ryan O'Neal was more upset Jackson pushed Farrah aside than he was that the mother of his son had died.

by Anonymousreply 2June 26, 2024 11:49 AM

The internet seemed to nearly crash that day. Every news site was either down or running slowly.

by Anonymousreply 3June 26, 2024 4:07 PM

I remember that. It was like that for a few days. You couldn't escape news on MJ's death for the next week or so. Farrah was pushed aside and forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 4June 26, 2024 8:34 PM

I remember a resurgence of Michael's music after he died. Which is too bad because most of it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2024 8:37 PM

Unfortunately, MJ dying unexpectedly like that was bound to be world-dominating news. Farrah's death was definitely sad but her star had faded some.

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2024 8:52 PM

I remember being in a Drag club when murders started going around...so much so the drag queen stopped her show and asked what's going on. Someone shouted up Michael Jackson is dead and the drag queen was calm and then someone told her who else had died and she nearly had a stroke FARRAH....NOT FARRAH...it was so bizarre and a joy to watch it unfold. lol Farrah was a huge deal to certain generations and her passing would have been Bigger news if MJ wasn't dead too.

by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2024 9:11 PM

murmers not murders

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2024 9:12 PM

I died 5 days after that limey tart and no one noticed. Lady Di... please.

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2024 9:22 PM

I'm sure Ryan O'Neal was getting ready for his close up, with visions of every major news station and talk show begging him for a sit down.

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2024 9:27 PM

[quote]murmers not murders

yeah, I thought there was a thread on the Pulse night club going on and oops! somehow your post actually landed in the wrong thread. No worries because even if it had happened, this must have happened to me at least half a dozen times.

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2024 9:28 PM

I remember CNN reporting Farrah's death early in the day. I then went shopping and when I returned home, I turned on the tv (still on CNN) and they were reporting on a death. I thought they were still covering Farrah's death but it was coverage of Michael's death. That was a shock because I thought they were talking about Farrah.

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2024 9:29 PM

Farrah probably would not want to be remembered for dying of ass cancer, so Michael's death was a blessing.

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2024 9:34 PM

It was so bitterly unfair to Farrah, but MJ's death did spark some brilliant DL threads. One I particularly remember was a "let's be Michael Jackson's funeral," culminating in "Elizabeth Taylor on a diamond-encrusted Jazzy."

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2024 9:40 PM

Then Aqua had a song called “Back to the 90s” around the same time he died and the one lyric went “… when Michael Jackson’s skin was black.” Needless to say they had to change it but I’ve heard both versions of the song.

by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2024 9:43 PM

I'm not a fan but I thought he had a really good nyt obituary photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2024 10:25 PM

I get it

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2024 10:54 PM

Fawcett was a devout Catholic (so she said), and had her funeral in a Catholic Church - even though she was divorced, lived with a man for decades, and had a child out of wedlock. Three sins against the Church.

If an openly gay celebrity passed away and considered himself a devout Catholic, do you think he would get a high-profiled funeral in a Catholic Church ? Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2024 11:13 PM

No. But I remember when he held a blanket out the window.

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2024 12:44 AM

He was a weird and sleazy fucking creep, the world is a better place without manipulative shits like him grooming 7 year old boys and licking their asses. That said I would like to have seen just how bizarre he would have looked in later years, he looked like he was held together with stick tape at the show rehearsals.

I like to think had he lived he would have eventually gone to prison.

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2024 10:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!