Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nosferatu

He is coming!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2024 10:04 PM

Looks awesome! Could not be more excited for this.

I've said it before in the Interview with the Vampire show thread and I'll say it again here – I'm so glad they shot it in Prague and not in Orbán's deplorable Budapest. I can enjoy it a lot more knowing my money isn't going towards that homophobic shithole.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2024 6:41 PM

Impressive director and cast. Except for the talentless, slutty nepo baby.

She truly ruins everything.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2024 6:49 PM

Looking forward to this; I tried to watch the Monica Belluci version during COVID, but the final scene of the city taken over by rats just sort of hit a bit too close too home. But this looks entertaining without being too campy & OTT

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2024 6:53 PM

Gorgeous shot. I imagine the studio made him cast LRD, can't imagine any other reason he'd do it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2024 6:56 PM

Lots of handsome men in this movie.

R3 - Monica Bellucci has a bit part as Dracula's Bride in Coppola's 1992 Dracula. Surely you mean Isabelle Adjani as Lucy in Herzog's 1979 Nosferatu.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2024 6:57 PM

Trumpsferatu is coming!

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2024 6:58 PM

This looks dark. And I don't mean the plot.

I mean the cinematography. I feel like I'll have to squint to see most of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2024 7:04 PM

Looks so good, but I'd prefer that Willem Dafoe reprise his role as Nosferatu.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2024 7:06 PM

This has possibilities but still I'll be surprised if it can better the original silent version. No matter how much gore and sex they add it will be difficult to sustain the menace conveyed by Max Schreck.

Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2024 7:22 PM

[quote]Lots of handsome men in this movie.

Arguably too handsome. But perhaps that was intentional, to make Orlok's ugliness stand out more.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2024 7:27 PM

First movie since Covid that is classy popcorn entertainment yet for adults too.

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2024 7:28 PM

I'm glad they held back the Count Orlock reveal.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2024 8:38 PM

There is another Nosferatu film, with limited release in late 2023, directed by David Lee Fisher and starring Doug Jones. It seems to have been suppressed in favor of the Robert Eggers film. Uncertain as to when it will see wider release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2024 10:08 PM

How does one company suppress another film? Pressure on distributers?

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2024 10:32 PM

[quote]Monica Bellucci has a bit part as Dracula's Bride in Coppola's 1992 Dracula. Surely you mean Isabelle Adjani as Lucy in Herzog's 1979 Nosferatu.

Ah yes, sorry about that. This movie reminds me of Shadow of the Vampire, with Count Orlock pleading with the director to be able to eat the film crew

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2024 9:02 AM

Or did you mean Lucy as Nosferatu in Mame?

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2024 2:20 PM

R5 Nicholas Hoult is gorgeous (looks great in the trailer). I think Bill Skarsgard is a bit off-putting at times but also weirdly handsome (though clearly that won’t be the case in this film).

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2024 4:12 PM

I never really thought much of Nicholas Hoult either way in terms of looks, but awhile back I happened upon his Wikipedia page (a place not known for particularly good photos of people), saw his main infobox image, and thought to myself, "Damn—that is one sexy fucking man."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2024 5:03 PM

Looks very CGI-y. Can’t be better than Herzog‘s. I’ll watch it anyways.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2024 5:22 PM

Now if they’d only release Salem’s Lot I’d be in vampire heaven.

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2024 5:30 PM

R20 I honestly forgot that movie was made becuase it's been in development hell/shelved for so fucking long

by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2024 5:49 PM

[quote]Now if they’d only release Salem’s Lot I’d be in vampire heaven

I believe I read that it will be released on Max, in the fall I think. But I want to see it too - even if it's a stinker, it can't be worse than the Rob Lowe version

by Anonymousreply 22June 25, 2024 6:45 PM

Nicholas Hoult is 🥵 (and he looks ripped in that trailer)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2024 7:31 PM

r23 I wish to "do" him.

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2024 7:32 PM

Nosferatu can come all he wants, but I need to figure out how to alter the space-time continuum so that I can have Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Nicholas Hoult both cumming in my ass simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2024 7:36 PM

Maybe you should ask Count Cockula.

by Anonymousreply 26June 26, 2024 1:23 AM

There are thousands of spooky old castles around Europe and they decided to put a fake-looking CGI one in the film instead?! I hate how so many of the films these days seem to be made almost entirely in front of the green screen. Thank heavens there were no computers around back in Murnau's days.

by Anonymousreply 27June 26, 2024 1:41 AM

Exactly R27. The castle looks disappointing. It was really creepy in the Kinsey/Herzog version because it was real! Way too much CGI. Like a Tomb Raider movie.

by Anonymousreply 28June 26, 2024 2:00 AM

^Kinsky/Herzog

by Anonymousreply 29June 26, 2024 2:01 AM

I think it looks pretty amazing. I agree that the CGI castle graphics are a bit of a downer—based on what we see in the trailer, the film really does have the high-gloss look of a big-budget 2000s epic of sorts, but I trust Robert Eggers enough that the ship will be steered correctly here.

by Anonymousreply 30June 26, 2024 2:03 AM

It comes out in Christmas, is it too late to hop to Europe for a couple of establishing shots of an actual castle?

by Anonymousreply 31June 26, 2024 4:50 AM

The following is from the recent Guardian review discussing the death of FW Murnau, the director of the original Nosferatu:

[quote]Murnau subsequently worked in Hollywood, where he made the lyrical Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans at the end of the silent period. He died in California in a car crash in 1931, aged 42. In his notorious exposé Hollywood Babylon, Kenneth Anger suggests his 14-year-old Filipino driver's attention may have been distracted from the road because Murnau was giving him a blowjob at the time.

by Anonymousreply 32June 26, 2024 5:12 AM

[quote]R14: How does one company suppress another film? Pressure on distributers?

It may be the result of calculation on the part of the Fisher/Doug Jones version's producers that they would not do as well directly up against the Eggers version. It seems to me, though, that they may have blown an entire year's lead on their competition, since the Eggers film isn't being released until December this year. No idea what they're thinking or why.

by Anonymousreply 33June 26, 2024 9:42 AM

I don't think a Nosferatu flick needs to have verisimilitude in sets. I love the sets and painted matts used in Tod Browning's Dracula.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 26, 2024 12:38 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2024 8:51 PM

Wake me when he gets here...

to streaming.

by Anonymousreply 36July 25, 2024 9:03 PM

Do you see Willem Dafoe's giant cock in it?

by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2024 9:11 PM

Forgive my ignorance but how similar is this to Bram Stoker and his story?

I’ve never seen the original Nosferatu move, hence my confusion.

by Anonymousreply 38July 25, 2024 9:38 PM

R38

This may help:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 25, 2024 9:43 PM

Oh.

Thanks so much for that link. R39.

Very informative.

by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2024 10:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!