Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Main Event" (1979)

45 years ago this weekend, Barbra Streisand topped off the decade of being the #1 box office actress of the 1970s with the release of the comedy "The Main Event". It opened in Los Angeles and Times Square to sold out box-offices before opening in wide release a few days later. The movie paired her with Ryan O'Neal, whom she starred with in the 1972 block-buster 'What's Up Doc ?'

The movie first started out as a MGM project for Diana Ross and Ryan O'Neal (who were a couple at the time) in late 1977, once Ross turned down the script for 'The Bodyguard' (O'Neal said she didn't want to do a topless scene, while Ross said she didn't want to play a celebrity stalked by a deranged fan). The film's original title was "Tough Customers", and the storyline was similar to what turned out to be "The Main Event". Before the film went into production Ross and O'Neal had a bad break-up, and Ross was dropped from the film (actress Goldie Hawn was considered briefly, but then dropped). It was Sue Mengers, who was the manager of Streisand, O'Neal, and at the time Ross, who thought the film would be a great romantic comedy for Streisand and O'Neal, who hit it big in 1972. The project moved from MGM to First Artists, and had gone through a series of titles including 'The Knockout' and 'The Woman and the Boxer'. It began filming in October, 1978. The film was produced by Streisand and her then-paramour Jon Peters.

Upon release, the movie received mostly negative reviews from critics, but audiences couldn't wait to see the film. It ended up taking in $43M against a budget of $8M, becoming the 16th most successful film of the year.

Streisand also recorded the theme song "The Main Event / Fight" for the movie, her first time recording a disco song. The single peaked at #3. (Streisand also recorded a ballad version of 'The Main Event' which she originally wanted released as the single - it only appears on the OMPS). The soundtrack itself peaked at #20. The theme song was nominated for a Golden Globe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170June 29, 2024 10:37 AM

This is all I have to say on the posted topic.

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2024 3:14 AM

caca movie

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2024 3:15 AM

That might be her worst film — even worse than All Night Long. Whatever chemistry Streisand and O’Neal had in What’s Up, Doc? had vanished by this film.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2024 3:29 AM

Really What's Up, Doc? is her only good movie. That's mostly because of the supporting cast.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2024 3:31 AM

O'Neal is a lot hotter though.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2024 3:32 AM

The perm. I just can't.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2024 3:34 AM

I didn't like any of her movies.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2024 3:34 AM

The song was good.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2024 3:35 AM

It’s too bad Ryan O’Neal was such a piece of shit, because he sure was hot.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2024 3:42 AM

Seriously. During his time he was just about the most hated person in Hollywood. Never stopped working though.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2024 3:44 AM

All Night Long was the best performance Streisand had given in years.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2024 3:51 AM

ALL NIGHT LONG is unwatchable. Absolutely horrible.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2024 3:52 AM

R12 be that as it may, Streisand is relaxed, likable and the most un-actressy she'd been in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2024 4:05 AM

"My fighter is not going in any am-BUHL-lance!"

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2024 4:08 AM

Maybe it’s my gayness but boxing is a complete bore to me. Even with Streisand, O’Neal and a disco theme song I barely made it through this one

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2024 5:03 AM

For some reason I saw this movie twice at the theater when I was like 12. I think my mother wanted me out of the house a lot that summer.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2024 5:20 AM

Did William Wyler direct this?

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2024 5:22 AM

Another one of Barbarism’s terrible movies.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2024 5:27 AM

I had the 45 single when I was a kid - loved the song. Can't remember much about the movie.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2024 5:29 AM

I also saw this stinker twice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2024 5:34 AM

I saw this like 3 or 4x in the cinema that summer - probably paid once and snuck in a number of other times. I was like 11 or 12. I had the cassette of the soundtrack as well, which even I knew was pretty bad.

While I had eventually seen A Star Is Born in the cinema - about 6 months after its release - this was like the first Barbra film I could go to the cinema on my own and see, like when I was fully aware of her and not just watching her on tv.

Even I knew it wasn’t a great movie. But Barbra should’ve done more comedies. She was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2024 8:07 AM

This movie was pretty bad when I saw it in the theater in 1979. I'm sure 45 years hasn't improved the tacky cartoonishness of "The Main Event."

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2024 12:11 PM

Hard to believe Jane Fonda had The China Syndrome and Meryl had Kramer v. Kramer in the same year as this piece of shit,

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2024 1:45 PM

I think they should've stuck with Goldie Hawn - she had success with 'Foul Play' just a couple of years earlier. It's funny that in WUD Streisand and O'Neal had great chemistry together - in TME they hardly have any.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2024 1:52 PM

After this, maybe we'll have a break from the work of the Streisanders for a little while.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2024 1:55 PM

Watch for Roslyn Kind in the aerobics class.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2024 2:02 PM

Fight! Fight! Fight!!

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2024 2:50 PM

[quote]Upon release, the movie received mostly negative reviews from critics, but audiences couldn't wait to see the film.

This is because she was a huge STAR, who could open a movie on her name alone. Remember those?

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2024 2:59 PM

Extra.. Extra.. I'm in love...

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2024 3:03 PM

I'd kill to have the boxing glove to live in.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2024 3:06 PM

[quote]Watch for Roslyn Kind in the aerobics class

Why though?

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2024 3:11 PM

Ugh god that aerobics sequence in the opening credits. Gratuitous shots of Babs showing off her ass in those tights. Yuck

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2024 3:17 PM

I actually liked this movie when I saw it in high school.

Patti D'Arbanville practically steals the show as O'Neal's chain smoking, coughing, trashy girlfriend who threatens to cut Streisand's tits off.

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2024 3:19 PM

Doesn't Barbra talk about Howard Zieff in her book? How he ate lunch alone and scoffed when she said the sound guy had a good idea for the film's end.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2024 3:23 PM

I liked the scene where she first goes to the gym and the big, hot, naked black guy walks out. He had a fine ass.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2024 3:24 PM

How many times did Goldie Hawn make a film with a similar plot - a wealthy woman loses her money.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2024 3:27 PM

Barbara may have been a big star then, but when you watch her films now you are hard pressed to understand why. She was ugly, grating and a poor actress.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2024 3:31 PM

I can't imagine Diana Ross in this comedy. She was a good dramatic actress - but comedy ?

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2024 3:33 PM

Not even Grady could save this shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2024 3:34 PM

During the '70s, Streisand was the kind of star that audiences flocked to see, no matter what. But starting with A Star is Born, Bab's vehicles became more and more vanity movies... The Main Event was one of the worst. Once was enough for me. Same with The Mirror Has Had Two Face Lifts.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2024 3:52 PM

This was when Ryan‘s dick was literally on fire 🔥

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2024 3:55 PM

I remember the NY times review singled out Patti D'Arbanville's performance and lamented that she wasn't given more screen time. But Babs probably didn't want another Madeline Kahn situation on her hands.

I would have loved to seen Diana tackle this role. I always thought Diana was the much better actress, while Barbra had the superior voice.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2024 3:58 PM

This was the first movie I was permitted to see at the theatre without my parents. I was 8. I was, however, accompanied by my five years older cousin. I actually liked it, but I'm not sure why.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2024 4:08 PM

Shit movie

Stop the babs stan

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2024 4:08 PM

I remember when the single came out, there was a story going around about songwriter Paul Jabara who had just won an Oscar a few months earlier for 'Last Dance' recorded by Donna Summer. He said Streisand just wanted to record the love ballad 'The Main Event' and release it as a single. He insisted they needed to capitalize on the disco craze and club scene, and wanted to include "Fight" - but she felt uncomfortable singing disco. She recommended he ask Donna Summer to record "Fight" as a separate track, and include it on the soundtrack (which had many songs by different artists) and release it as the second single. He apparently called Summer and asked her to record it - but she was too busy on her 'Bad Girls' tour to take time off. She told Jabara that Streisand needed to sing it and have a hit with it. Somehow, he convinced Streisand to record it (and she still was able to record 'The Main Event' as a ballad, which closes out the album). This is when he got the idea to pair Streisand and Summer together for a duet. The rest is history.

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2024 4:19 PM

[quote]It opened in Los Angeles and Times Square to sold out box-offices before opening in wide release a few days later.

Don't know about LA but "The Main Event" opened on June 22, 1979 all over New York at the same time. No special Times Square opening.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2024 4:28 PM

The only live recording of the theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2024 4:30 PM

R25 Why ?

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2024 6:23 PM

[quote]After this, maybe we'll have a break from the work of the Streisanders for a little while.

It's OK R25, we are here for you. When the coast is clear, please tell us who has you tied up and forcing you to read Streisand threads. We will get you help to you.

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2024 6:38 PM

Barbra is dressed very attractively by Ruth Myers.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2024 6:52 PM

For Pete's Sake, and Barbra's performance in it, is so underrated. It only got a lukewarm reception, but it's far funnier than most of the comedies today.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2024 7:03 PM

Barbra really squandered so many amazing movie offers and only has a small handful of good movies to get credit.

It's not like she was a huge touring artist either and never bothered to tackle Broadway again after her initial splash.

Not like she writes her own songs, all she had to do was go to the studio to record.

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2024 7:03 PM

Did not nearly have the charm of What's Up Doc.

Of course, no Madelaine Kahn, so it couldn't possibly.

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2024 7:07 PM

I think I only saw this on TV well after it had its theatrical release. I enjoyed it though, loved the title song and Ryan O'Neal all sweaty in boxing trunks.

by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2024 7:45 PM

I’m glad I fund her red fro repulsive

by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2024 7:51 PM

Some behind the scenes footage in L.A.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2024 7:56 PM

How could Goldie Hawn be dropped if she was only considered?

by Anonymousreply 57June 23, 2024 8:01 PM

There are only 3 Streisand movies that I like: Funny Girl, What’s Up Doc?, and The Way We Were. The rest are forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 58June 23, 2024 8:08 PM

Shelley Long should have done this and Barbra should have done Irreconcilable Differences.

by Anonymousreply 59June 23, 2024 8:13 PM

R51, I hope you’re kidding.

by Anonymousreply 60June 23, 2024 8:14 PM

To bad she balked at the sequel: For Fuck's Sake.

by Anonymousreply 61June 23, 2024 8:17 PM

Pubic hairstyles turn me OFF!

by Anonymousreply 62June 23, 2024 8:20 PM

I was 10 when this came out and I had just come back from NYC visiting relatives (a separate vacation from my parents). The afternoon before I flew home, I had seen a syndicated special about the making of The Amityville Horror and it scared the shit out of me and I vowed I would not see it.

The next weekend, on a Friday night, my parents and I went to see The Main Event and when we arrived at the theater, we found out that the air conditioner in the auditorium was broken, so my parents decided not to go. We drove around for a while, trying to figure out what to do, and one of my parents had the bright idea to go to the late show of The Amityville Horror (on opening night) at a different theater. I begged them not to take me, but they wouldn't listen. We stood in line for an hour for the sold out late show and the movie scared me shitless and I screamed a few times. My father was annoyed at me for making a scene (everyone was screaming) and I'm sure he was looking at me and thinking- what a little fag.

We finally went back to see The Main Event a week or so later and I remember him making some kind of comment to me like "This is more your speed."

He was an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2024 8:34 PM

Well he was right.

by Anonymousreply 64June 23, 2024 8:40 PM

R51 "Oh, my God! They got Pete!"

by Anonymousreply 65June 23, 2024 8:43 PM

I love the theme song.

by Anonymousreply 66June 23, 2024 8:44 PM

A fun hate-watch.

by Anonymousreply 67June 23, 2024 8:48 PM

Why did Babs say yes to so much shite and turn down clearly superior offers? Didn't she want to be a star?

by Anonymousreply 68June 23, 2024 9:00 PM

R56 I like the hot shirtless production crew guy toward the end of that film.

by Anonymousreply 69June 23, 2024 9:10 PM

R57 She was dropped from consideration, and that was the end of her possibly starring in the movie. Are you dense ?

by Anonymousreply 70June 23, 2024 9:24 PM

I really feel like this film should have taken more advantage of Barbra's sex appeal and have her wear those short shorts with her butt cheeks peaking out like she did for the Superman album cover. People would have loved it!

by Anonymousreply 71June 23, 2024 9:33 PM

What people?

by Anonymousreply 72June 23, 2024 10:13 PM

I hope the OP will be giving us an opportunity to reflect on other great Ryan O'Neal films like Oliver's Story, So Fine, and my favorite-a great companion piece to Cruising-1982's Partners.

by Anonymousreply 73June 23, 2024 10:22 PM

[quote]There are only 3 Streisand movies that I like: Funny Girl, What’s Up Doc?, and The Way We Were. The rest are forgettable.

For Pete's Sake.

by Anonymousreply 74June 23, 2024 10:28 PM

I think I’ll watch it for the 70s nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 75June 23, 2024 10:28 PM

[quote] Barbra really squandered so many amazing movie offers and only has a small handful of good movies to get credit. It's not like she was a huge touring artist either and never bothered to tackle Broadway again after her initial splash.

She states in book more than once she is lazy. She doesn't have that drive that some entertainers have that compels them to be constantly working, striving to be on top. She has been so incredibly successful in what she decided to do she has the luxury of doing what she wants, and working when she wants to. And that's with giving millions away to charity too.

by Anonymousreply 76June 23, 2024 10:32 PM

[quote]My father was annoyed at me for making a scene (everyone was screaming) and I'm sure he was looking at me and thinking- what a little fag. We finally went back to see The Main Event a week or so later and I remember him making some kind of comment to me like "This is more your speed."

Well, just think you saw two movies in two weeks starring the future Mr & Mrs. James Brolin, a gay double feature!

by Anonymousreply 77June 23, 2024 10:38 PM

[quote] Well, just think you saw two movies in two weeks starring the future Mr & Mrs. James Brolin, a gay double feature!

Ha! I never put that together. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 78June 23, 2024 11:02 PM

[quote]I hope the OP will be giving us an opportunity to reflect on other great Ryan O'Neal films like Oliver's Story, So Fine, and my favorite-a great companion piece to Cruising-1982's Partners.

Why wait ? Why don't you start a thread and give us the opportunity to reflect on other great O'Neal films ? You seem capable of posting.

by Anonymousreply 79June 23, 2024 11:33 PM

“to bad”

OH FUCKING DEAR

by Anonymousreply 80June 23, 2024 11:36 PM

R68, you Imbecile, she was a STAR before she was in movies. The question is, why in movies did Barbra Streisand settle for so much mediocrity?

by Anonymousreply 81June 23, 2024 11:39 PM

The full verson of the main event/fight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 24, 2024 12:48 AM

R68 she turned down other superior offers because she wouldn’t be able to control every aspect of them. It’s that simple

by Anonymousreply 83June 24, 2024 12:51 AM

It's catch 22. She would have made more movies if she didn't have the recording contract obligation. But then she wouldn't have got into movies without being a recording star.

by Anonymousreply 84June 24, 2024 12:58 AM

Yeah, sure, R85. I’m with R83.wonder is Barbra recognizes this and talks to her therapist about it.

by Anonymousreply 85June 24, 2024 1:02 AM

She apparently turned down 'Julia' when she was offered the movie.

Keep in mind, she has never co-starred with another female star. All her co-stars have been men.

by Anonymousreply 86June 24, 2024 1:16 AM

I saw this in elementary school and loved it. I haven't seen it since then so I might not appreciate it am much now.

by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2024 1:31 AM

I had the 45 when I was a kid, but didn’t have any desire to see the movie, and my parents probably wouldn’t have taken me anyway. My dad did take me to another cheesy movie from around this time that I was dying to see: Love at First Bite. Loved that when I was a kid, but now I think it was probably awful.

by Anonymousreply 88June 24, 2024 1:56 AM

What's the one with the assless jeans?

by Anonymousreply 89June 24, 2024 1:59 AM

So Fine.

by Anonymousreply 90June 24, 2024 2:02 AM

I saw Love at First Bite again about 8 years ago during a Halloween marathon in LA and it actually held up pretty well. It's not high art, but it was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 91June 24, 2024 2:11 AM

interview with Gail Parent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 24, 2024 2:29 AM

Is she bragging about it or apologizing?

by Anonymousreply 93June 24, 2024 2:30 AM

Interesting tidbit I found...

When Franco Zeffirelli was getting ready to direct 1979's "The Champ", he had told Ryan O'Neal and his son Griffin that they were going to be the stars of the film. O'Neal worked out hard for the role to get in shape to be a boxer. When the film was ready to go into production, O'Neal got a call from the director and was told he and his son were out of the picture. He didn't think Griffin was 'right for the role'. He later said he never forgave the director for dropping him from the movie.

In the meantime, when the movie was presented to Diana Ross, MGM thought it would be great to pair her with Burt Reynolds as the boxer. When they found out her (then) boyfriend O'Neal was available, they dropped Reynolds and went with O'Neal (whom they wanted to star with Ross in 'The Bodyguard'). The couple had an acrimonious break-up before production started and the film went into turn-around at the studio (Ross eventually left the project).

by Anonymousreply 94June 24, 2024 2:31 AM

I'm convinced she wasn't interested in Julia because of comparisons to Hellman's schnozz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 24, 2024 2:35 AM

I have to laugh at Gail's line to Barbra which she said she got from Joan Rivers.

Barbra: We can't afford you.

Gail: The jewelry you're wearing on the beach alone could pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 96June 24, 2024 2:39 AM

Ryan O'Neal's driving student is Kristine DeBell the star of "Alice in Wonderland" the X-rated musical.

by Anonymousreply 97June 24, 2024 10:38 AM

If you look at Barbra's filmography, she really hasn't made that many movies. And most of them weren't very good. More than a few big stars, especially from that era, preferred to make junk movies where they did their shtick and everyone involved kowtowed to them. Rather than doing something challenging. Sinatra and his Rat Pack movies. Reynolds and his southern rat pack movies. Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton's post-Virginia Woolf movies. Brando walked thru a lot of '60s movies for the pay check...

by Anonymousreply 98June 24, 2024 11:54 AM

Very observant, R98. Which begs the question, did Streisand EVER consider herself a serious actress as she always claimed?

by Anonymousreply 99June 24, 2024 12:08 PM

R58 has spoken.

by Anonymousreply 100June 24, 2024 12:20 PM

R86 I can't imagine Barbra in "Julia."

by Anonymousreply 101June 24, 2024 2:01 PM

R51 ITA; no idea why this isn't a bigger hit.

Great supporting cast.

Great chemistry with Michael Sarazzin (sp?)

The bit at the end with the ring? ALL THE FEELS.

by Anonymousreply 102June 24, 2024 4:55 PM

R81 calm down, Tits McGee. I know she made a big splash and became a star very soon. However, a star may be born but does not remain so forever, when they refuse good offers and accept shite. She must have been subconsciously trying to destroy her legacy as she never felt worthy

by Anonymousreply 103June 24, 2024 5:27 PM

For Pete's Sake opening.

If you love it, you love it.

You don't, you don't.

Nothing to get upset about...for Pete's Sake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 24, 2024 5:29 PM

I wonder if Barbara would have worked more if she really had confidence as an actress or director. I don’t think she did.

by Anonymousreply 105June 24, 2024 5:36 PM

Barbara worked as much as she wanted. She made a ton of money through recording and cherry picked whatever role she fancied. I think Funny Lady was an obligation to the studio and she didn't want to make it and it shows onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 106June 24, 2024 5:48 PM

Barbra was also sought for films she would have been ridiculous in. Julia? The Exorcist? She was the biggest star on the planet and producers thought they could plug her into any role and it would work. As many shitty films as she did throughout her career, she also seemed to know when the role was totally wrong for her.

Until Nuts.

by Anonymousreply 107June 24, 2024 6:34 PM

Barbra and Goldie were asked to do Big Business, but they declined. Harvey Weinstein also begged her to do Chicago with Goldie, but she didn't think she could do the dancing required.

by Anonymousreply 108June 24, 2024 6:38 PM

This movie was filmed during her ASS phase. Jon Peters told her she had a great ass so we got that along with a bad perm.

by Anonymousreply 109June 24, 2024 6:42 PM

R108 I could actually see Barbra doing the Bette Midler role in "Big Business," but I absolutely can't picture her in "Chicago" in any role.

by Anonymousreply 110June 24, 2024 7:01 PM

She refused Klute

by Anonymousreply 111June 24, 2024 7:10 PM

She refused Klute

by Anonymousreply 112June 24, 2024 7:11 PM

She didn't have the acting chops for Klute. No snot-crying for our Babs!

by Anonymousreply 113June 24, 2024 7:23 PM

Bree Daniels - Left Side Only

by Anonymousreply 114June 24, 2024 7:28 PM

Nothing wrong with left side only

by Anonymousreply 115June 24, 2024 7:35 PM

She couldn’t R108.

I can’t see her doing Big Business or any comedy that didn’t require endless fake mugging and stupidity

by Anonymousreply 116June 24, 2024 7:41 PM

"Babs showing off her ass in those tights. Yuck"

She was quoted as saying Jon Peters thought her butt was her best asset. Did she not detect the shade in that compliment?

by Anonymousreply 117June 24, 2024 7:42 PM

If you listen to her bio, she resents Jon and all his manipulation. I especially like that he considered starring in A Star is Born with her.

by Anonymousreply 118June 24, 2024 7:58 PM

For me the script goes downhill when it presents Hillary as dumb, yelling boxing moves from a book to The Kid from outside the ring. She's smart enough to run a company so give her some credit.

by Anonymousreply 119June 24, 2024 8:23 PM

I remember one critic said Ryan comes off marginally better than Barbra because his yelling and screaming is less abrasive than hers.

by Anonymousreply 120June 24, 2024 8:24 PM

She was first choice for Grease. Fortunately she passed and it went to Olivia. Could you imagine what she would have looked like in those leather pants?

by Anonymousreply 121June 24, 2024 8:29 PM

R118, starring and DIRECTING A Star is Born. Streisand confirmed it in a Barbara Walters Today Show interview in 1975. Despite what she says in her book, Babs bought Jon Peters act all the way.

by Anonymousreply 122June 24, 2024 9:21 PM

[quote]I think Funny Lady was an obligation to the studio and she didn't want to make it and it shows onscreen.

No, it was an obligation to Ray Stark. This was the third and last movie she did for him. After production, she gave Stark a mirror - written on it in lipstick were the words "Paid in full."

R121 - Not true at all. Susan Dey and David Cassidy were the first two actors considered for the movie. Cassidy wanted no part of it so Dey withdrew her name. Travolta was then cast, and he told Stigwood he only wanted to work with Olivia Newton-John.

Streisand did show interest in a film about a 1920s feminist titled 'Fancy Hardware'. Travolta was to costar with her when the movie was proposed after he finished 'Saturday Night Fever'. However, the project was dropped when he took 'Grease'.

by Anonymousreply 123June 24, 2024 9:31 PM

She’s annoying AF in this. How she became the biggest box office female draw in the 70’s is stupefying

by Anonymousreply 124June 24, 2024 9:37 PM

R123, most people realize the Grease comment was a JOKE.

by Anonymousreply 125June 24, 2024 9:41 PM

Streisand was offered the role of the mermaid in the Tom Hanks comedy "Splash", but never knew she got the offer. Her agent Sue Mengers never forwarded the offer to her, thinking it was a stupid movie. Streisand was pissed off when she found out about it (when the movie was filming with Darryl Hannah) and that is when she dropped Mengers for good.

Streisand was also interested in remaking 'The Merry Widow' when Dino DeLaurentis Franco Zeffirelli were involved , but the project never materialized (she was interested in doing it a decade earlier, with Ingmar Berman, which also never got off the ground).

And finally, she and Jon Peters were interested in producing a remake of the film 'The Women' which was to star Streisand, Faye Dunaway and Raquel Welch. However, that never became a reality and she turned to The Main Event.

by Anonymousreply 126June 24, 2024 9:42 PM

R125 You fail at jokes, as you do everything else in life.

by Anonymousreply 127June 24, 2024 9:44 PM

#123, John instead chose the erotic May-December romance, "Moment By Moment".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 24, 2024 9:45 PM

“Wrongly despised”, eh, New Yorker? Puh-leez.

by Anonymousreply 129June 24, 2024 10:04 PM

R127 is the only failure here

by Anonymousreply 130June 24, 2024 10:07 PM

R127, are you our resident comedian, charlie? I’m not the one who posted the Grease joke that hurt you so deeply. I only commented because you see so confused.

by Anonymousreply 131June 24, 2024 11:05 PM

R131 I see so confused ?

What does that mean ?

by Anonymousreply 132June 25, 2024 11:31 AM

[quote]As many shitty films as she did throughout her career, she also seemed to know when the role was totally wrong for her....Until Nuts.

None of her movies are really shitty. Some of you Divas have never seen a real bad movie. I've seen a lot of her movies in a theatre and audiences enjoyed them. And the "Nuts" bashing is tiresome. She was terrific in it, in fact everyone was and Maureen Stapleton deserved a nomination. Some queens think she wasn't beautiful enough to be a high price call girl. News Flash, hookers on Hollywood Blvd don't look like Julia Roberts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 25, 2024 1:07 PM

R133 I like Barbra as an actress, but even I cringed throughout "Nuts," and it had nothing to do with her physical appearance.

Her performance was all over the place. At times, she played the role as a complete lunatic completely untethered to reality, then suddenly, she'd be a wise sage, completely in control and articulate.

Martin Ritt must have gone nuts (pun intended) trying to rein in her performance.

by Anonymousreply 134June 25, 2024 1:38 PM

[quote] I've seen a lot of her movies in a theatre and audiences enjoyed them.

As I recall, audiences in the theater loved the Herbie the Lovebug movies as well.

R133, a movie theater is spelled "theater," (in the US). A legitimate stage can be called "theatre."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135June 25, 2024 2:05 PM

Fuck you, R135!

by Anonymousreply 136June 25, 2024 2:31 PM

Warner Brothers produced an animated short called The Duxorcist in 1987, made exlusively to be shown before the start of "Nuts" in cinemas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 25, 2024 3:20 PM

I was able to see Myra Breckinridge in the theater, all three people there LOVED IT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138June 25, 2024 3:29 PM

"At least my blow jobs are sane!"

by Anonymousreply 139June 25, 2024 3:36 PM

This is back after she crimped her hair and went down the Stony End.

by Anonymousreply 140June 25, 2024 3:50 PM

[quote]a movie theater is spelled "theater," (in the US). A legitimate stage can be called "theatre."

News Flash...United Artists at one time was the largest American movie chain and was called United Artists THEATRES. I know because I worked for them, just google the logo.

by Anonymousreply 141June 25, 2024 4:13 PM

Barbra Streisand never made a movie for United Artists, R141.

by Anonymousreply 142June 25, 2024 4:31 PM

R140

Still pissed that Babs gave you the cold shoulder when you tried to kiss her ass, Miss Bernhard?

by Anonymousreply 143June 25, 2024 4:46 PM

I'm not really Sandra Bernhard, r143, nor did I pretend to be.

Actually I am someone else who was just quoting a famous line of hers.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

by Anonymousreply 144June 25, 2024 4:55 PM

The thing that pisses me off is both Nuts and The Prince of Tides could have been great movies with a proper lead. Instead Nuts is just horrible and Prince of Tides comes off as a Lifetime movie.

by Anonymousreply 145June 26, 2024 12:17 AM

She ruined them herself.

by Anonymousreply 146June 26, 2024 2:11 PM

She always made herself the most attractive women ever in her movies...um Babs..........

by Anonymousreply 147June 26, 2024 2:38 PM

R147 The most cringeworthy moment in "The Mirror Has Two Faces" was when Babs' character was giving a lecture to her class after she had turned from the ugly duckling into the swan, and she says to one of the male students who is so taken with her beauty that he can't seem to concentrate, "Yes, I have breasts."

Good God, Babs.

by Anonymousreply 148June 26, 2024 2:51 PM

I love in NUTS when the Richard Dreyfuss character stumbles upon professionally done cheesecake photos of Barbra in her apartment. Had nothing to do with the plot, but just an excuse for Barbra to once again show off her ass and legs.

And wasn't her character the highest priced call girl in ALL of NYC? Like come on.

by Anonymousreply 149June 26, 2024 3:32 PM

[quote]he most cringeworthy moment in "The Mirror Has Two Faces" was when Babs' character was giving a lecture to her class after she had turned from the ugly duckling into the swan, and she says to one of the male students who is so taken with her beauty that he can't seem to concentrate, "Yes, I have breasts." Good God, Babs.

She didn't write it, Dear. Two French men did.

by Anonymousreply 150June 26, 2024 4:00 PM

R150 Puhleez. You think she didn't have them add that to the script? Babs the control freak?

by Anonymousreply 151June 26, 2024 4:05 PM

Speaking of The Mirror Has Two Faces, isn’t that the movie where Barbra introduces her D breast implants?

by Anonymousreply 152June 26, 2024 5:04 PM

Here's a picture of them:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153June 26, 2024 5:20 PM

In her book she acknowledges turning down Klute and others but in each case the directors had not yet been attached to the films- which is why she turned them down.

Also, she’s got a non stop recording career going on too.

Also, 3 films she wanted very much to direct for various reasons fell apart in production. In her book she makes clear that these failures were very hard on her- although she turned to concerts.

Her memoir really is a fascinating look at the business of show!

by Anonymousreply 154June 26, 2024 5:31 PM

^ MARY!

by Anonymousreply 155June 26, 2024 6:38 PM

R153 Babs was using Kari Lake filters years before Kari Lake was.

by Anonymousreply 156June 26, 2024 6:50 PM

R152 Yes. Once again, as I said in the movie, I have breasts. Look at them. Love them.

by Anonymousreply 157June 26, 2024 6:52 PM

could you imagine getting finger banged by Karl Malden when little?

by Anonymousreply 158June 26, 2024 7:40 PM

Has there ever been a superstar who has shown less gratitude than Barbra?

by Anonymousreply 159June 26, 2024 7:54 PM

Sounds like you could, R158.

by Anonymousreply 160June 26, 2024 7:56 PM

R159. Stop. Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 161June 26, 2024 7:56 PM

I get four-hundred dollars for a straight lay, three-hundred for a hand job, and five-hundred for head.

by Anonymousreply 162June 26, 2024 7:59 PM

R161, If it’s nothing like yours, I’m in

by Anonymousreply 163June 26, 2024 8:05 PM

[quote]What people?

People who need people.

by Anonymousreply 164June 26, 2024 8:24 PM

Her worst movie. Not funny, not sexy, ugly to look at.

by Anonymousreply 165June 26, 2024 8:29 PM

This film needs a reboot with Billie Eilish and Austin Butler!

by Anonymousreply 166June 26, 2024 9:41 PM

Sorry we need a blactress if it's going to get a reboot. Plus you should say reimagining. Boot is trigerring It's slave language. The boot on the throat of black men. Ever hear of it? Use better words.

by Anonymousreply 167June 26, 2024 11:41 PM

The reimagining can star Will Smith and his beard Jada. Chris Rock can play Will Smith's opponent in the ring. It can be called: "The Main Event : Keep My Beard's Name Out Your Fuckin' Mouth".

by Anonymousreply 168June 27, 2024 12:45 AM

R153 wow, is that really Barbara Streisand in that pic?

I’ve never seen her looking like that before, she is just jaw droppingly beautiful. She must have had a makeover or something. Stunning, just stunning.

by Anonymousreply 169June 27, 2024 7:10 AM

^ her plastic surgeon

by Anonymousreply 170June 29, 2024 10:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!