Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What were Elizabeth Taylor’s fat years?

Did it start in the 70s? Did she ever say why she got so fat?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 28, 2024 1:32 PM

She did say - stress, depression, addiction issues.

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2024 1:19 AM

Even when she was a kid she always looked one doughnut away from joining weight watchers.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2024 1:22 AM

Why don’t we hear anything about her kids?

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2024 1:24 AM

I know she's beloved around here, but the way Joan Rivers treated Liz was horrifically cruel.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2024 1:26 AM

Perhaps she had quit taking amphetamines and barbiturates?

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2024 1:34 AM

Elizabeth Taylor got fat when she was married to Senator John Warner. Up at Washington, she was isolated from her Hollywood friends and was bored and miserable in that marriage, turning to food, pills, and alcohol for comfort.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2024 1:43 AM

The fat years started with the introduction of elastic waistbands on women's slacks.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2024 1:52 AM

Oh honey, a better question is did the S.S. La Liz ever have any non-fat years???

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2024 2:02 AM

[quote] turning to food, pills, and alcohol for comfort.

Why don't these people ever read a book, go to a museum, make some friends? She was in DC, not a tiny town in Kansas.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2024 2:41 AM

R9, museums give comfort? Museums can’t fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2024 2:43 AM

R4 I wonder how beloved Rivers is, in retrospect. She was a canny businesswoman, but her comedy was based in saying the meanest things imaginable about everyone and going for their spots of vulnerability (even herself, early in her career). She could be somewhat clever and she did make her own way (and was better educated than many of her peers), but she really began to seem like she liked to be vicious for its own sake, rather than to try to be clever or witty, and based entirely on people's physical flaws. I grew to dislike her--and her daughter comes across as an even less talented entitled nepo baby. Today she wuld be a full-on Trump supporter (like Judge Judy). A terribly unhappy woman who seemed to want everyone to be as miserable and self-loathing as she was.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2024 2:48 AM

She discovered the little Safeway store in Middleburg, VA. The story goes she’d never been in a grocery store before. Liz was miserable on Warner’s farm and didn’t quite fit in with Middleburg crowd. So she bought groceries and went to town on them.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2024 2:48 AM

EAT!

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2024 2:50 AM

The juxtaposition of the silver tumblers and the paper Coca-Cola cups is so later-era Liz Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2024 2:53 AM

Every woman wanted to look like Elizabeth Taylor, and now they do.

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2024 2:57 AM

biggums thought she was going to be first lady

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2024 3:10 AM

She was clearly gaining weight in the 60s when you see her in “The Sandpiper” and into the early 70s with “X, Y, and Zee” aka “Zee and Company” but it was nothing drastic, just a few pounds, and she looked stunning in “Ash Wednesday”. But the late 70s were a whole different story.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2024 3:19 AM

Working on Here's Lucy was probably when she hit rock bottom

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2024 3:24 AM

She started to pack it on when she was with Burton.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2024 3:38 AM

I liked Taylor and Burton together, there was some real chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2024 3:46 AM

yeah like gin and vermouth.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2024 3:47 AM

Taylor was a 5'2" and busty. The slightest overindulgence made her look squat. Her weight fluctuated so much during the lengthy filming of Cleopatra that there are times where she's svelte and kittenish one minute then an overstuffed hen the next.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2024 3:51 AM

I like the idea of Liz going to a local Safeway and buying ding dongs. And yes, the poster is right about Joan Rivers being the ultimate vicious so called comic.

Her husbands suicide made her so angry and mad, as it would to anyone . So she channeled all this anger and became even more vicious.

I remember she threw an over the top wedding for her daughter and the marriage lasted a couple of weeks.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2024 6:17 AM

The John Warner years were depressing and she was her heaviest

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2024 6:26 AM

Taylor openly addressed her weight gain and subsequent weight loss in her 1987 book, "Elizabeth Takes Off: On Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Self-Image, and Self-Esteem."

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2024 6:37 AM

Don't talk about the boy, Martha.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2024 6:48 AM

Elizabeth Taylor has more chins than a Chinese phonebook

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2024 7:03 AM

At least Elizabeth Taylor won Oscars. How many phone books have you won lately?

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2024 7:06 AM

I took Elizabeth to get her ears pierced and gravy came flooding out.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2024 7:10 AM

r27 her blood type is Ragu

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2024 7:11 AM

Was Fat Elvis’ death her wake up call?

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2024 7:13 AM

Elizabeth Taylor is so fat that she asked for second helpings of her third servings!

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2024 7:16 AM

Making fun of someone's weight is about as deep as a puddle. People come in all shapes and sizes, and honestly, their weight shouldn't be the punchline of your jokes. Try a little originality, darling.

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2024 7:17 AM

If I had to be around politicians every day I would drink and do drugs too.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2024 7:22 AM

Enjoying food is about savoring the taste, texture, and aroma of the food. It's about feeling satisfied and nourished. Emotional eating, on the other hand, is about using food to cope with emotions like stress, sadness, or boredom. It often leads to overeating and feeling guilty or ashamed afterward.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2024 7:30 AM

I think in her Intimate Portrait interview she said she ate a plate of chicken every night.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2024 7:38 AM

Fried chicken? A plate of roast chicken every night isn't enough to get fat.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2024 7:55 AM

She said that fried chicken was her favorite food.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2024 8:11 AM

She put mayonnaise on an aspirin

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2024 8:31 AM

If you're going to steal from Joan Rvers, at least credit her.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2024 8:40 AM

Oh wait, you did. I can't see small.

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2024 8:40 AM

[quote]Elizabeth Taylor got fat when she was married to Senator John Warner.

She also got her U.S. citizenship back.

She was born in London to American parents, so had dual UK/US citizenship.

When she was around 7, WWII broke out, so her parents moved them back to the US, which is when she began her acting career.

After she married Richard Burton in the mid '60s, she renounced her U.S. citizenship although she and Burton didn't settle in the UK. They were jetsetters during their 10-year marriages (they divorced and remarried in between).

She married Warner the same year that she divorced Burton for the second time.

She also got her citizenship restored and thereafter resided in the US for the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2024 8:42 AM

Liz Taylor was so fat, one day when she was standing on a corner alone, a cop came by and told her to break it up.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2024 12:39 PM

She got fat and bloated when she stopped controlling her drinking.

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2024 1:22 PM

She went to get fried chicken, and when they asked her what size she said "the one on the roof".

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2024 1:29 PM

R23, Joan started the Liz is fat jokes a decade before her husband’s suicide.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2024 1:33 PM

R43, that was a Charles Pierce joke.

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2024 1:34 PM

R11 I agree with most of what you said, but I bet Joan would go after Trump and Melania, Ivanka, Jared and the boys, Donnie Jr. and Eric better than anyone now living. The Trumps are comedy gold. Would she go after Biden too? Probably. I see her as being offensive to both, but really going after Donald John Trump...and all his MAGAs supporters. Maybe wishful thinking on my part. Can you imagine what she would say about Marjorie Taylor Green? Or Thomas and Alito?

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2024 1:37 PM

Elizabeth had serious back problems. Constant pain. And she took pain meds that were addictive. Would not surprise me to learn she was a Sackler victim like thousands of others. She was a big drinker too. But it was also her Hollywood days, when the moguls wanted their stars voluptuous but not fat. That mythical "hour glass" figure. I always found her marriage to Warner sport of strange. I remember watching the movie, Rhapsody, one of my favorites, with Elizabeth and Vittorio Gassmann and it was there I noticed how tiny her waist was . We laughed when Jane FOnda came along in the 70's and preached fitness and vitamins, etc. but Jane definitely swam against the tide of Hollywood as a break away from their diet pills culture.

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2024 1:42 PM

^^Joan Rivers made no qualms about being a Republican, but l also wonder if she would have supported Trump.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2024 1:52 PM

During Liz's voluminous years Joan made the following comment - She's so big that one day, she wore a Yellow dress and 40 schools kids tried to board her! - Not sure if that's the exact content but I do know Joan made that remark (among countless others). Another was 'her thighs are so big she went condo!'

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2024 2:01 PM

Jane Fonda has written about having a serious eating disorder (bulimia) beginning in her adolescence. The compulsive exercise was an extension of disorder.

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2024 2:05 PM

Did she really need to live in Washington if she was so unhappy and depressed there? Most Congressional spouses don’t live there.

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2024 2:08 PM

Someone who has been married 8 times has serious mental problems. Disordered eating habits were to be expected.

by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2024 2:09 PM

Everyone's ragging on Joan and not a word about John Belushi?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2024 2:14 PM

She started to plump up in the late sixties/early seventies. Your metabolism slows down when you hit your forties. She wasn’t really exercising and she and Burton both drank like fishes. She also ruined her alabaster skin with too much sun. I think she was a smoker as well. And she was always getting sick.

by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2024 2:15 PM

It started with her movie, "Who's Afraid of Virginia Ham?" She was not.

by Anonymousreply 57June 23, 2024 2:25 PM

Eating drunk , that will make anyone fat.

by Anonymousreply 58June 23, 2024 3:10 PM

Everybody made fun of Taylor’s weight gain - she was considered one of - if not the - most beautiful women of that era and she seriously let herself go. Like it or not, that makes many humans either delighted or upset - either way it becomes part of the cultural conversation. For every JR joke there were a dozen “concerned” articles in the woman’s & gossip sections of newspapers and magazines. And Hollywood Babylon II. Joan didn’t drive the conversation, but she did make it funnier.

by Anonymousreply 59June 23, 2024 3:14 PM

I wouldn't say Joan Rivers was beloved by the public, but comedians loved her because she said whatever the fuck she wanted. She called Michelle Obama a tranny, for god's sake.

by Anonymousreply 60June 23, 2024 3:15 PM

When Liz was at SeaWorld she asked if Shamu came with a side of fries

by Anonymousreply 61June 23, 2024 3:22 PM

At SeaWorld Liz asked if Shamu came with a side of fries

by Anonymousreply 62June 23, 2024 3:31 PM

I don’t know why Joan Rivers seems to have taken over this thread but Joan was a hateful New York Republican who drove her husband to kill himself and thought nothing should be off limits in comedy, except for her Nepobaby daughter Melissa. Everyone who defends Joan mentions her philanthropy and and generous spirit, which everyone is intimately familiar with because Joan made sure to mention it, often.

by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2024 3:35 PM

John Belushi as Taylor will never get old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 23, 2024 3:50 PM

Taylor stands in front of the microwave and screams HURRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 65June 23, 2024 3:51 PM

R59, your post reminded me of this observation from Divine:

"All my life I wanted to look like Elizabeth Taylor. Now Elizabeth Taylor looks like me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 23, 2024 4:12 PM

She was always super into food. It caught up with her in middle age, like a whole lot of us.

by Anonymousreply 67June 23, 2024 4:16 PM

Elizabeth Taylor was the last true movie star, and one like no other. I think the fatness and the drunkness are all part of her story. She was beautiful, had a heart in the rignt place and still feels somehow underrated as an actress (outside datalounge).

Re the fat jokes, yes, they were cruel but i think we are all more conscious and sensitive now on making jokes about fat people that a few year ago.

by Anonymousreply 68June 23, 2024 4:21 PM

I read about ET having chili prepared by the restaurant Chasen shipped overseas to a film set, she was decadent and it showed up later in life in excess weight and multiple stays in rehabilitation facilities along with the outrageous jewelry collection.

by Anonymousreply 69June 23, 2024 4:49 PM

I remember an interview clip from when she was married to Warner where she discusses her weight, which must have been an awful position to be in. She probably mentioned fried chicken, and I think she mentioned loving potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 70June 23, 2024 5:14 PM

Joan Rivers seem to think it her duty to shame Elizabeth Taylor into losing weight.

by Anonymousreply 71June 23, 2024 6:18 PM

The joke was on Joan who ended up being ridiculed for her excessive plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 72June 23, 2024 6:46 PM

Joan didn’t seem to care about being ridiculed for her plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 73June 23, 2024 7:27 PM

^Obviously. She looked absurd.

by Anonymousreply 74June 23, 2024 8:17 PM

here's Liz looking good at 49 married to John Warner and appearing in The Little Foxes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 23, 2024 10:05 PM

Liz has more chins than a Chinese phonebook!

by Anonymousreply 76June 23, 2024 11:01 PM

She had the kind of hourglass figure that generally only lasts until you hit 30 or from your first baby. She was a German figure. Short with big breasts and curvy.

by Anonymousreply 77June 23, 2024 11:07 PM

[quote] Joan didn’t seem to care about being ridiculed for her plastic surgery.

Watch her documentary. Oh boy, did she care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 24, 2024 12:05 AM

[Quote] Elizabeth Taylor was the last true movie star, and one like no other

some might disagree: Sophia Loren, Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, Barbra Streisand, Faye Dunaway, Julie Christie, Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 79June 24, 2024 12:59 AM

And Julia Roberts, R79.

by Anonymousreply 80June 24, 2024 1:01 AM

Taylor was already starting to gain in “Suddenly, Last Summer”. She looks gorgeous in the white swimsuit but that’s no anorexic figure she’s sporting.

by Anonymousreply 81June 24, 2024 1:22 AM

Sorry, but I loved Joan Rivers’s joke: “What does Liz Taylor say when she’s standing in front of the microwave? ‘…HURRY UP!!’”

by Anonymousreply 82June 24, 2024 2:03 AM

R80 I swear I thought of Julia and meant to include her but realized I left her name off after I posted.

by Anonymousreply 83June 24, 2024 2:04 AM

I took Liz to Krispy Kreme for the first time and told her to grab a number, bitch grabbed ALL of them!!!

by Anonymousreply 84June 24, 2024 2:11 AM

R78 - Joan's documentary was surprisingly good for someone who's always been somewhat neutral about her (neither hate nor a fan). I did admire her courage at the start when she appears completely without makeup on camera, in a close up no less, and applies her face to show the transformation.

by Anonymousreply 85June 24, 2024 2:20 AM

I loved her even fat and looking like a floozy. I read that she g ained the weight in her 40's and was 180 at her worst. Then she went on some kind of diet and dropped to 122. She even wrote a book about it called,"Elizabeth Takes Off" so even with the public ridicule and the cruelty, she handled it like a pro, owned it embraced it and did not whine or complain and play victim. I love her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 24, 2024 2:21 AM

Didn’t Andre Leon Talley say she showed up to a photo shoot demanding fried chicken?

by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2024 2:48 AM

Liz always seemed very real in her public person. She knew nothing different, so lived her life for public consumption, long before Instagram.

Her weight loss book is very grim from a food perspective, but of the (initial WW) times though, as it used a lot of artificial sugars, etc. She maybe just could’ve hired a great chef and swam a lot to lose weight I would have thought raising a finger with a 14 carat diamond would’ve burned some calories.

by Anonymousreply 88June 24, 2024 2:48 AM

Available to borrow on archive.org

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 24, 2024 3:15 AM

I just ate a whole pan of lasagna and all I can is "What a dump!"

by Anonymousreply 90June 26, 2024 1:17 AM

The Oinkties.

by Anonymousreply 91June 26, 2024 1:27 AM

That’s a great pic, R89

by Anonymousreply 92June 27, 2024 12:30 AM

I hate that image r92. I think ET looks high. But I love the book for the diet she offered, the diet is joyless and very old-school.

by Anonymousreply 93June 27, 2024 12:45 AM

Her lifespan’s dates.

by Anonymousreply 94June 27, 2024 1:11 AM

All the Joan Rivers jokes and nobody has mentioned -

Liz was asked what do you want on your hamburger?

A hot dog!

by Anonymousreply 95June 27, 2024 1:16 AM

Elizabeth was a hedonist, and she always loved food. When John Warner was campaigning in Virginia for the Senate seat, Elizabeth accompanied him at many campaign events through the state, and Virginia food is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 96June 27, 2024 1:41 AM

Joan Rivers was one of the funniest and wittiest comics ever. A treasure really. Her standup was brilliant and he wit on talk shows a gas.

by Anonymousreply 97June 27, 2024 6:21 AM

ITA R97

Joan used to say that Liz is the only person who looks at the microwave and screams: "HURRY!"

she puts mayonnaise on aspirin.

She goes to McDonald's to watch the numbers change. She got stuck between the golden arches.

Asked in an interview about picking on Liz, Joan said, 'she's one of the most beautiful women in the world; fine, I'll leave the poor slob alone."

by Anonymousreply 98June 27, 2024 6:39 AM

R82 meet R65. And maybe review a thread before you stupidly blunder in with a comment.

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 99June 27, 2024 12:43 PM

Why has this thread been overtaken with posts about that ugly, unfunny bitch Joan Rivers? She was godawful in eveything she did.

by Anonymousreply 100June 27, 2024 3:16 PM

R53 and R97. Virginia is beautiful and does indeed have great food. We used to travel from MD to VA for Thanksgiving at my Aunt's house every year when I was little. I remember my parents talking about being near Elizabeth Taylor's house on the way there. I don't remember the house specifically, but it was a gorgeous area with mansions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 28, 2024 1:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!