Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Velvet Chainsaw on Netflix

It's old but is it worth watching? Looks intriguing and I'm guessing a satirical look at the phoney, pretentious art scene?

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2024 9:01 PM

I quickly scanned this thread’s title, I imagined a cheese chainsaw. I was perplexed by that until I realized I had read it as “Velveeta Chainsaw”.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2024 5:43 PM

I think it’s actually called Velvet Buzzsaw if I remember correctly. Technically, Jake Gyllenhaal’s character is gay, but there’s not much gay content. It was pretty forgettable and fell apart after the first 30 minutes. Renee Russo was in it too (I think her husband wrote and or directed it).

Anyway, it’s a waste of time unless you consider it your duty to watch every Jake G film.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2024 5:47 PM

The movie was a mixture of final destination and the picture of Dorian Gay rated T for teen.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2024 5:48 PM

It was a mess.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2024 5:51 PM

It was directed by the same guy who did NIGHTCRAWLER, and I believe was his next film after.

I really loved NIGHTCRAWLER and thought it was incredible! So did many critics, and it did well.

So when this was announced… as a film about the pretentiousness of the LA art world and the back-stabbing social climbers involved, and a murderer killing key figures of the scene, people (myself included) got excited. This was gonna be good!

It wasn’t.

It has some neat moments, but they are too few of them to hold it together amongst a lot of dreariness and unintentional silliness. It just slowly all falls apart until the ridiculous ending.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2024 6:59 PM

In this movie you saw that Jake Gyllenhaal trims his chest hair and waxes his ass. Signs of a gay man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2024 8:50 PM

The only thing I remember about that film is how terrible Tom Hiddleston's baby mama is in it and Jake G's body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2024 8:57 PM

[quote]your duty to watch every Jake G film

In which case, the Datalounge condoles you.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2024 9:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!