Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Merchant Ivory Productions

61 years ago Indian businessman Ismail Merchant went into partnership with the American director James Ivory. Today that partnership and their legacy still prosper and flourish.

More than that, a Merchant Ivory film has come to represent quality and style, rare commodities in today's increasing tawdry marketplace. The films they've made include Shakespeare Wallah, The Bostonians, Maurice, and the splendid A Room with a View.

On this Saturday afternoon, let's discuss your favorite Merchant Ivory (and similar) films, performances, costumes, and more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2024 8:08 PM

They ARE Merchant Ivory Productions!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2024 5:20 PM

Similar films that immediately come to my mind include

The Age of Innocence

A Passage to India

Gosford Park

Washington Square

House of Mirth

The Enchanted April

84 Charring Cross Road

The Secret Garden

The Wings of the Dove

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2024 5:22 PM

Maggie Smith as Cousin Charlotte in A Room with a View will always be a favorite of mine

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2024 5:23 PM

The first 30 minutes in or so of Howard's End maybe some of the best period film ever.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2024 5:24 PM

[quote] (and similar) films

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2024 5:25 PM

Alec Scudder stepping in to meet Maurice's needs was incredibly inspiring to teenage me. Plus I can absolutely become absorbed in the luxury. The lush scores and quality of the filmmaking are so nostalgic to my childhood as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2024 5:25 PM

[quote] (and similar) films

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2024 5:25 PM

Remains of the Day - greatest movie of the last 50 years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2024 5:25 PM

“ rare commodities in today's increasing TAWDRY marketplace”

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2024 5:30 PM

Love watching an ethereal Vanessa Redgrave float over the flowers at the start of Howards End to Grainger's gorgeous Bridal Lullaby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2024 5:31 PM

The passionate kiss in the poppy field while Kiri te Kawana belts out Puccini in A Room with a View is filmmaking at its finest.

All to be ruined by Maggie Smith's LUCY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2024 5:33 PM

[quote] Maggie Smith's LUCY!

?

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2024 5:35 PM

R10 Here you go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2024 5:36 PM

Yes! And yes! And yes!

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2024 5:36 PM

That's the stuff, R13. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2024 5:42 PM

Ismail Merchant and James Ivory were very well regarded and respected by the industry.

Their films were made on a small budget, but they attracted major talent who could have made way more money elsewhere:

Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Julie Christie, Lee Remick, Ralph Fiennes, Vanessa Redgrave, Emma Thompson, Christopher Reeve, Greta Scacchi, Anthony Hopkins, Alan Bates, Denholm Elliott, Nick Nolte, Ben Kinglsey, Jeremy Northam, and Prunella Scales, to name a few.

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2024 5:44 PM

So...languid.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2024 5:46 PM

I've always had a soft spot for The Bostonians.

Vanessa Redgrave, Christopher Reeve, Madeline Potter, Wesley Addy, Linda Hunt, Nancy Marchand, Wallace Shawn, and Jessica Tandy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2024 5:47 PM

Thanks to Tubi (which I first started streaming a couple of months ago) I found about 10 Merchant-Ivory films that I put on "My List" to watch, including some things I've either never seen before or haven't seen in years.

They include Quartet, Autobiography of a Princess, Heat and Dust, Bombay Talkie and Shakespeare Wallah.

Last month I saw The White Countess and the underwhelming Slaves of New York - although the latter did have that fabulous Supremes scene.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2024 6:02 PM

I've never seen it, but I've always felt In the Mood for Love was Merchant Ivory-esque

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2024 7:28 PM

I wish Tom Crewe's 2023 novel The New Life had been published 25 years ago so Merchant Ivory could adapt it for film. It would have been fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2024 7:35 PM

Their movies always looked gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2024 7:55 PM

MAURICE, first, last and foremost.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2024 8:22 PM

R23 why?

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2024 9:26 PM

I enjoyed 1990's Mr. and Mrs. Bridge tremendously. Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward in the title roles.

It's not your standard Merchant-Ivory film since it's set in America rather than Britain. But it's lush and detailed with a superb script by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2024 9:53 PM

R24, it's a romantic film to me.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2024 11:31 PM

R21, I loved Crewe’s The New Life better than anything I’ve read in the last couple of years. I immediately reread it, and have gifted it to three friends.

I’d love to see it adapted, but it would likely be a miniseries today. Could happen, and could still be done beautifully, even with Merchant/Ivory out of the running.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2024 11:44 PM

I often recall a line delivered in Howard’s End by a batty old aunt who has come out to the country to straighten out a domestic complication involving an offer of marriage that should never have been made to one of her young nieces, and is given a ride out to the house by a member of the other family.

The young man providing her the ride from the train station via his topless motorcar is no less confused than auntie and a horrible disagreement develops. Voices are raised.

Finally, she declares, “I decline to argue with such a person” and does her very best to contrive to leave the car while it’s in motion.

I often wish that sentiment would be generally adopted in the Datalounge when I’m watching a thread devolve into personal insults and name calling.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2024 12:25 AM

^cunt

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2024 1:39 AM

R29 likes mackerel.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2024 1:40 AM

R38 That aunt was Prunella Scales, one of the great British character actresses and comediennes

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2024 4:32 AM

She's also the mother of the guy who played Leonard Bast, Samuel West.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2024 5:46 AM

R32 an the wife of Timothy West

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2024 4:13 PM

I have always thought Ismail Merchant was a beautiful man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2024 4:17 PM

What I really admire about them is the amount of care they give to works of literature that people find very meaningful to them. You can tell they saw it as a sacred trust.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2024 4:19 PM

R35 I agree. Would have loved a Proust adaptation

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2024 4:23 PM

I enjoy the films, but they usually aim at whole-production values to the extent that story and character are contextualized to the extent they lose prominence.

This gives them a cozy feeling that may not align with thematic concerns. It also makes the considerable pleasure of watching them a comfortable quality many viewers prefer, or can be satisfied with.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2024 4:27 PM

They made ponderous movies one felt obligated to like

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2024 4:27 PM

Remains of the Day is just fabulous, but it benefited, I think, from Mike Nichols being a producer on it (and he was supposed to direct it too--he was attached for a while). It's more visceral (more American?) than A Room With a View, I think, though I love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2024 4:31 PM

R39 Do you think Remains of the Day or Howards End is the better film?

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2024 5:50 PM

I briefly dated a pretty cool guy who became Ivory's historical consultant for his films. he was a PRETTY fancy guy, but was obsessed with historical details (as a matter of fact I swear he's posted a time or two on the DL)

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2024 6:15 PM

My eye isn't that discerning, but where it is you can see the sheer joy that the period consultants have in being able to show what they know onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2024 6:24 PM

James Ivory’s Instagram was funny. He used to post pictures of hideous designer clothes in storefronts and pictures from his travels.

by Anonymousreply 43June 24, 2024 10:18 AM

The Remains Of The Day is one of the greatest films of the last 40 films.

The productions were often chaotic and the actors didn’t get paid but the prestige darling, the prestige.

by Anonymousreply 44June 24, 2024 10:24 AM

R44 films or years?

by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2024 8:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!