Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kevin Costner and his shitty 3+ hour westerns

Why?!?!

Horizon: An American Saga Chapter 1 is coming next week.

Chronicles a multifaceted 15 year span of pre and post Civil War expansion and settlement of the American west.

Runtime: 3 hours 1 minute

by Anonymousreply 40July 13, 2024 4:09 AM

[quote]Why?!?!

Fucking Boomers, man. Reminds me of that thread from earlier today where OP was asking why they still have a say.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2024 7:26 PM

He can't act. And he's a bore. He's the Neil Diamond of cinema.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2024 8:29 PM

And that’s just Part I.

Part II will come out later.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2024 8:36 PM

It's going to be the flop of the summer. Well, until Chapter 2 opens on August 16...

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2024 8:42 PM

I’m looking forward to this, actually.

If it is good, we won’t feel the 3 hour run time.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2024 11:08 PM

[quote] Why?!?!

Then don’t fucking watch it. No one’s forcing you to buy a ticket. How is this a hard concept?

Or are you just bored and looking to stir shit?

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2024 11:38 PM

[QUOTE] If it is good, we won’t feel the 3 hour run time.

You’ll always feel a 3 hour runtime.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2024 11:41 PM

He must have always wanted to be a cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2024 11:44 PM

I loved Pauline Kae's takedown of him and Dances with Wolves:

[quote] There’s nothing affected about Costner’s acting or directing. You hear his laid-back, surfer accent; you see his deliberate goofy faints and falls, and all the closeups of his handsomeness. This epic was made by a bland megalomaniac. (The Indians should have named him Plays with Camera.) You look at that untroubled face and know he can make everything lightweight.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2024 11:49 PM

Kael*

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2024 11:50 PM

His only good movie was no way out

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2024 11:57 PM

Just wait until he released the 7-hour Water Buffalo World.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2024 12:15 AM

"Costner has feathers in his hair and feathers in his head....[t]he Indians should have named him Plays with Camera."

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2024 12:18 AM

R6 = Christine Baumgartner

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2024 1:35 AM

Was this the movie Chris Hemsworth wanted to do?

There’s no way this movie is going to be a hit.

People don’t even know who Kevin Costner is today. No one under 40.

It’s literally Norma Desmond’s “Salome”.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2024 1:57 AM

[quote]His only good movie was no way out

I liked that movie. Unfortunately, it's a one-and-done. Pointless to rewatch it after knowing the twist.

I would also add Silverado and Field of Dreams to your list.

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2024 2:59 AM

These films should be broken down as a six episode streaming miniseries. Instead he wants us to sit in a theater for six hours to watch cowboys riding horses and women washing clothes with rocks in a river.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2024 4:06 PM

I sat through Wyatt Earp. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2024 9:05 PM

I watched the first episode of Yellowstone; I wanted to like it but I just couldn't get into it.

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2024 9:20 PM

I actually saw this last Thursday. It belongs on TV as a streaming, multi-part miniseries because though he made it to bring big western movies back to movie theaters, it makes the old west look smaller than life. It is not done in a widescreen, 70MM ‘epic’ format. The film size and ratio are conventional, the 35 mm film often looks grainy (I know purists love this but I didn’t). The locations are sometimes beautiful but the images are never more than pedestrian.

It confusingly tells several far flung (geographically) and disconnected stories about the development of the west near the end of the Civil War, with a minimum of titles and explanation. Some of the actors in different stories look too much alike, so you find yourself trying to remember which story you are in. It’s chaotic, a shambles as narrative.

Some of the plots and individual scenes are interesting and the most compelling story is the Sienna Miller/Sam Worthington/Danny Huston section about the aftermath of an Indian attack on a white settlement. But the acting is uneven, and Costner’s direction never more than workmanlike and uninspired, by either scenery or actors

There is no reason whatever to pay to see a movie this mediocre in a theater. Scott Frank’s Netflix western miniseries “Godless” was far better. Costner has poorly misjudged the market, unless MAGA white christian nationlist douchebags decide to turn out to support it.

by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2024 9:24 PM

Why in earth did you go see it, r20?

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2024 9:27 PM

Are there any hot guys, at least?

by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2024 2:32 AM

R21, I was curious and in the mood to see a movie, and the starting time was right. Thought it would be better than it was.

R22, Not really. Sam Worthington is easing into middle age nicely but Costner has zero interest in showing off his male stars apart from himself. There are plenty of pretty women in it, which one would expect from this straighter than straight director.

by Anonymousreply 23June 30, 2024 3:22 AM

that boy SURE do like to cowboy. . . .

by Anonymousreply 24June 30, 2024 3:23 AM

Well, it’s a bonafide flop, grossing just $11 million opening weekend on what is thought to be a $130 million dollar investment, in which some $38 million is said to be Costner’s own money.

The second installment is done, the third is scheduled (don ‘t know if he lined up the money) but it will probably unfold as a streaming miniseries. As such, it might get eyes on it, but I don’t know how it makes anybody any money.

These days, epic movies need to look epic, not small-scaled, grainy and poorly edited and scored. This was made for small screens, Kev.

by Anonymousreply 25July 2, 2024 9:15 PM

[quote]If it is good, we won’t feel the 3 hour run time

I said those EXACT SAME WORDS on load 37.

by Anonymousreply 26July 2, 2024 9:17 PM

[quote]He must have always wanted to be a cowboy.

Kevin Costner grew up in Compton, California, believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 27July 2, 2024 9:25 PM

Is it as good as The Postman? Waterworld?

by Anonymousreply 28July 2, 2024 9:52 PM

R25 It would be embarrassing but most people today under 40 don’t know who he is anymore. It’s like a tree falling in the woods.

by Anonymousreply 29July 2, 2024 10:13 PM

He never got over Dances With Wolves

by Anonymousreply 30July 2, 2024 11:06 PM

He was great as the cadaver in The Big Chill

by Anonymousreply 31July 2, 2024 11:09 PM

He was HOT in Bull Durham, the only movie about baseball you need to see.

by Anonymousreply 32July 2, 2024 11:12 PM

Well, get my smelling salts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 10, 2024 7:58 PM

I believe Costner would do very well if he developed a great, gritty detective series, or even by doing a lead role in True Detective.

Something set in 2024. No Bonanza revisited crap.

by Anonymousreply 34July 10, 2024 8:48 PM

Nobody wants to see shitty 3+ hour westerns.

The second of Kevin Costner’s planned four-film western “Horizon: An American Saga” won’t be arriving in cinemas next month after all.

THR reports that the film is being pulled from the release calendar for now following the disastrous theatrical debut last month of “Horizon: An American Saga – Chapter 1”.

A new date has yet to be announced for the sequel, but a theatrical release is still intended for the title.

The aim of the delay is to allow more time to grow the audience for the first film which cost $100 million to produce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 10, 2024 10:07 PM

Just pull from theaters and put it on streaming

by Anonymousreply 36July 10, 2024 10:29 PM

I saw this film last week because my parents were visiting and it was pretty much the only film my dad would go and see. It really felt quality-wise like a tv miniseries from the 1980s. Very elaborate and literal narratively and not an ounce of creativity formally. The writing was simplistic and straightforward but nothing unique and as was stated previously, nothing was being done cinematically to make it feel exceptional, which is pretty much mandatory for an epic saga to get a theatrical release in this day and age. I presume Costner attempted to cash-in on his re-emergence due to Yellowstone and the still profitable appeal to Boomers, but it was underwhelming (though engaging).

by Anonymousreply 37July 10, 2024 10:45 PM

[QUOTE]A new date has yet to be announced for the sequel, but a theatrical release is still the intention.

How long before Costner gives up and they just put this shit on Paramount Plus where it belongs?

by Anonymousreply 38July 10, 2024 10:50 PM

What an ego he has. If not for his height and hair he would be a nobody.

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2024 12:46 AM

Call in the bomb squad

by Anonymousreply 40July 13, 2024 4:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!