Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Air was scented with Wegovy and Ben-Gay at Carnegie Hall Tonight

FOLLIES!! IN CONCERT!!

What an enjoyable evening. Though, I imagine, for the average eldergay Miss Jennifer Holiday was "too Black" for 'I'm Still Here' and I think I saw some of their heads explode when Mx. Alexandra Billings -- a, real live, honest-to-goodness T sang "Lucy & Jessie".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112June 26, 2024 10:53 PM

Alexandra is fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2024 3:46 AM

In 50 years do you think there will be an all star concert of SUFFS?

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2024 3:48 AM

R1 - Alexandra made a meal of the song! And in a backless number, too!

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2024 3:54 AM

The whole evening was glorious. Simply smashing.

I’m still on cloud 9 and may never be able to fall asleep.

Every gay man in the city was there.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2024 4:24 AM

What were the highlights for you, R4?

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2024 4:26 AM

What were the dance numbers, r4?

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2024 4:28 AM

Was Patti LuPone there?

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2024 4:31 AM

R6 - 'Who's That Woman' was performed with a recreation of the original Michael Bennett choreography (reproduced by an original cast member from the 1971 production's ensemble) -- that performance was led by DL icon Karen Ziemba!

Michael Berresse (sp?) also danced up a storm in 'The Right Girl' -- what a terrific performer -- never seen him before.

Other than that, very straightforward concert performances. But it's not like this is a dance-heavy show.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2024 4:34 AM

I highly doubt Billings was any good. If anyone has seen her onstage, she's a triple threat. Can't sing, can't act, can't dance.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2024 4:35 AM

I don't know quite how to explain this, R9, but Billings wasn't... great.. but she was VERY entertaining. One of the most energetic and exciting performances of the night. Would she work well in this role? Never. But, she had a nice, knowing turn of phrase with the lyrics and had a surprisingly strong, brassy money note to finish the song as she shimmied for her life in a backless, sequined number.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2024 4:41 AM

I can understand that, R10. You explained it well. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2024 4:43 AM

[quote]But it's not like this is a dance-heavy show.

It has certain dance requirements, r8, and Bennett's Prologue and Who's That Woman? are considered classic. I also wondered if they did Bolero d'Amour.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2024 4:50 AM

Everyone on social media is plotzing over Jennifer Holliday’s “I’m Still Here”. It seems most likely to be a clip released soon since Cameron Mackintosh produced this and apparently it was filmed for streaming/dvd.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2024 5:44 AM

Did Jennifer sing the original lyrics? Did she get heebie jeebies for Beebe's Barhosphere?

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2024 5:52 AM

Did she get through Brenda Frazier?

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2024 5:55 AM

Or did she get through Shirley Temple?

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2024 6:12 AM

No, she got through Danielle "Dee" Spencer.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2024 6:19 AM

Jennifer Holliday still sounds great. I wouldn't call it a particularly remarkable or distinguished performance of I'm Still Here, but it was still a hell of a lot of fun. While, by Holliday standards, it was a fairly restrained performance (still *some* grunts and vocal flourishes, of course), I wouldn't say she's a magnificent interpreter of lyrics. If you're looking for the typical boozy showbiz legends takes a knowing walk down memory lane and has bittersweet triumph over the odds performance, her's isn't quite that. But, it's Jennifer fucking Holliday, so, of course she brought the house down.

I didn't notice cameras capturing the performance R13, but, perhaps I missed them?

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2024 7:26 AM

R12 - Like I said, Bennett's staging of Who's That Woman and The Right Girl was recreated. The Prologue was just performed by the orchestra. I didn't realize there was memorable Bennett staging that accompanied the Prologue. I'm too young to have seen the original, though I did see the 2011 revival. In that production I just recall the showgirl ghosts slowly walking through the space as our Bernie entered from upstage and looked around the empty theatre. How would you describe the original staging for the Prologue?

Not familiar with Bolero d'Amour. Is that a cut number or something?

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2024 7:33 AM

The Follies concert was low-key epic. But best in show of the night was Jennifer Holliday’s “I’m Still Here.” Just WOW.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2024 7:57 AM

[QUOTE] Did Jennifer sing the original lyrics? Did she get heebie jeebies for Beebe's Barhosphere?

She sang it as originally written including Beebee

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2024 7:58 AM

Did Billings knock over any chorus boys during Lucy and Jesse?

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2024 11:33 AM

No, that was the problem. L&J is a dance number, with chorus boys, and Billings can't dance and there were no boys. I don't get her appeal.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2024 11:40 AM

[quote]But best in show of the night was Jennifer Holliday’s “I’m Still Here.” Just WOW.

The audience clearly agreed with you, but I thought she was pretty bad. Slow tempo, her usual gasping and grunting, and a few lyric mistakes (although at least she was in good company with Yvonne DeCarlo who also apparently never sang the lyrics right). All these years after Dreamgirls, she still can’t act. And yes, I know she won a Tony for Dreamgirls.

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2024 12:09 PM

I, for one, will never forget Major Bowes.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2024 12:24 PM

I admit I was most disappointed that Kate Baldwin got Losing My Mind, but I was pleasantly surprised by the performance.

Queen Christine Ebersole was amazing on Buddy’s Eyes.

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2024 12:29 PM

The one bit of Bennett "dancing" I vividly remember in the original FOLLIES Prologue was a moment where Young Phyllis (Virginia Sandifur) in a ghostly and spangly chorus girl costume with feathered headdress stood staring in awe at older Phyllis (Alexis, duh!) and is pulled away by a line of similarly dressed chorus girl ghosts as they slowly danced down towards her. It was chilling. And the show was just starting.

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2024 1:26 PM

I remember Young Hattie dancing on the diagonal across the stage with a top hat and cane.

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2024 1:42 PM

I love Billings and disagree she can't act. However, I will concede that her singing is.....limited.

And at her age, I'm not sure sleeveless is a realistic option......but that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2024 1:46 PM

The highlights for me were the recreation of Bennett's choreography for Who's That Woman and Kate Baldwin's Losing My Mind. The way she built to craziness at the end was stunning.

Ted Chapin also told a funny story about Ethel Shutta hating Fifi D'Orsay and calling her a bitch. I can't remember if he told that story in his book.

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2024 1:50 PM

What is wegovy? It sounds like a website for tracking people's political contributions.

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2024 1:53 PM

I remember Tallulah Bankhead cartwheeling across the stage. She wasn't wearing underwear. And Mason jar full of cocaine fell out of her hoo-hah.

by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2024 1:58 PM

Given that other concert versions b y Transport Group I've seen were rather low-scale in terms of small orchestra, intimate theaters, etc.,, this large undertaking was quite impressive. They announced that CH will be the site of future concerts, so wonder what other musicals will draw as well as FOLLIES did.

by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2024 2:12 PM

[quote] I love Billings and disagree she can't act.

You must have missed her in The Nap. She was community theatre level bad.

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2024 2:30 PM

I enjoyed it immensely. It was quite spontaneous of me to buy a ticket. I was lucky enough to get one and decided to make my first trip to the city since 2016. I enjoyed Christine Ebersole and her in buddy’s eyes, Jennifer Holliday was OK exactly what you would expect from her. I actually enjoyed Santinos buddy’s blues. I still hate one more kiss but the trio didn’t suck this time.

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2024 3:29 PM

Is list of people who sang posted somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2024 3:30 PM

Kurt Peterson (Young Ben original Broadway cast) jumping center stage from the side of the stage where he had been co-hosting the evening with Ted Chapin to perform “Live, Laugh, Love” with John McMartin’s original golden cane was a beautiful surprise moment. Young Ben becoming Old Ben. It was just lovely.

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2024 3:35 PM

Ebersole is getting raves for her In Buddy's Eyes.

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2024 3:53 PM

Were Denise Pence Boockvor and Steve Boockvor involved?

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2024 4:09 PM

These homophobic cunts - the OP's reflex - who keep spewing the divisive hate speech about other gay people.

Enough.

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2024 4:13 PM

Jennifer Holliday's "I'm Still Here" was a good idiomatic rendition of the song overall, and OF COURSE it was rapturously received by the overreacting queens in the audience, but the performance was severely marred by the fact that the tempo was SO SLOW. Ironically, although I'd bet good money that it was Holliday herself who insisted on the slow tempo (to give her more stage time), I could definitely sense that she was having trouble maintaining that ridiculously tempo rather than pushing ahead throughout the song. So whosever decision that tempo was, it actually was a big mistake and did her a great disservice.

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2024 4:17 PM

R39 I'm sure she was giving a speech somewhere to a captivated audience about how she, and she alone, was THE star of THE Guiding Light before they did her dirty.

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2024 4:24 PM

Barbara Walsh -- wife of the concert's producer/artistic director of the Transport Group, a company that hardly ever produces anything anymore, other than these benefits -- had about three or four very brief solo lines to sing in "Waiting for the Girls Upstairs," and believe it or not, she screwed up the lyrics on her first entrance. Incredible.

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2024 4:24 PM

I've been waiting decades to see Holiday live. She took the night off when I saw the original DREAMGIRLS. Her I'm Still Here was totally outside the show's concept and era. And it was thrilling.

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2024 4:26 PM

Hated Lenox's Broadway Baby. Should have been se old crone. Was Estelle Parsons not available?

by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2024 4:29 PM

I loved her outfit though, R45!

by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2024 4:32 PM

When the '94 Grease revival was running, Holliday took over the role of Teen Angel for a while. I was working at The Heiress at the time and I can remember every queen and gayling from other shows running over to be walked in on their breaks just to watch just her number and then leave.

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2024 4:34 PM

I’m still fascinated by this Dresden production which was set in Germany following reunification. I can’t imagine how the lyrics to “I’m Still Here” were altered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2024 6:37 PM

What was the line like to the men's room at Intermission? Or was there no intermission, an even more frightening thought with that age group?!

by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2024 7:32 PM

Details on the Ethel/Fifi story told by Ted Chapin? Did he elaborate on his relationship with Yvonne??

by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2024 7:34 PM

If I recall, r50, in his book, Ted wrote about a rivalry on their part. Actually more on Fifi's part. She never got over Broadway Baby being shifted to her Ah, Paris! placement (third).

by Anonymousreply 51June 21, 2024 7:42 PM

R50 - Chapin said that Fifi always had trouble remembering the lyrics to Ah, Paris and Ethel found it so frustrating. Ethel apparently said something like (I'm paraphrasing/distantly recalling), "If that French bitch screws that song up again, I'm going to go out there and sing 'Broadway Baby' in French."

by Anonymousreply 52June 21, 2024 7:56 PM

And you can bet Ethel would have done it, r52.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 21, 2024 8:02 PM

r50, he does discuss Yvonne in the book, pretty much saying that she made no secret of her attraction to him, and often asked him to be an attractive younger man on her arm at social events. But if it was ever consummated, he is discreet.

by Anonymousreply 54June 21, 2024 10:24 PM

The second time I saw Follies, later in the run, Fifi was pushing so hard, it was almost embarrassing. I guess she figured, if she had to go before Ethel, she was going to make an impact anyway. And she did, but not in a good way. The other one who was overdoing it at that performance was the guy playing Roscoe. Don't know what his story was, but boy, was he overacting up a storm.

by Anonymousreply 55June 21, 2024 11:01 PM

*Fifi*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 21, 2024 11:47 PM

r25=Ted Mack

by Anonymousreply 57June 22, 2024 1:43 AM

Ethel vs. Fifi is one of my favorite through lines in Everything Was Possible.

by Anonymousreply 58June 22, 2024 1:48 AM

Poor Fifi...a feather duster in bedroom slippers.

by Anonymousreply 59June 22, 2024 1:53 AM

I adore Isabel Keating but I'm wondering if she was able to put across Ah, Paree! Anyone who was there have an opinion?

by Anonymousreply 60June 22, 2024 2:49 AM

^^^Yes, she did a fine job with the number, including the accent.

by Anonymousreply 61June 22, 2024 2:57 AM

Is there a Playbill for this event?

by Anonymousreply 62June 22, 2024 3:36 AM

Yes, R62. What would you like to know about it?

by Anonymousreply 63June 22, 2024 3:39 AM

[quote]What would you like to know about it?

Is it seeing anybody?

by Anonymousreply 64June 22, 2024 3:49 AM

Who sang "Could I leave You?"

by Anonymousreply 65June 22, 2024 3:50 AM

[quote]I adore Isabel Keating but I'm wondering if she was able to put across Ah, Paree! Anyone who was there have an opinion?

Isabel Keating was a total treat in what could be a throwaway number. She shimmied on stage in a very flattering, form fitting pink sequined short dress -- definitely the most glamorous look of the evening -- and delivered those clever Sondheim lyrics like "Constantinople has Turkish baths, And Athens that lovely debris, Carlsbad may have a spa, But for ooh-la-la, You come with me!" with aplomb.

[quote]Who sang "Could I leave You?"

Beth Leavel. Presumably, she was replacing Donna Murphy who was originally announced for the show. I think Leavel is very talented, but while she didn't start "at 11", she probably started at about 10.5 and didn't give herself enough runway, so I think the delivery was too bombastically angry, too soon.

by Anonymousreply 66June 22, 2024 4:19 AM

We already know how Donna does it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 22, 2024 4:25 AM

Donna not show? Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 68June 22, 2024 6:13 AM

I’ve heard audio of Jennifer Holliday and Christine Ebersole. Any others out there? What about Billings’s Lucy and Jessie.

by Anonymousreply 69June 22, 2024 6:47 AM

It was announced a few weeks ago that Donna wouldn’t be appearing due to scheduling conflicts, R68, despite having been originally announced. Norbert Leo Butz, Erika Henningsen, and Rachel Bay Jones also withdrew for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 70June 22, 2024 7:25 AM

R35, you HATE One More Kiss? The entire essence of the piece is embodied in that one, brave number you hate it?

You probably love margarine too.

by Anonymousreply 71June 22, 2024 9:08 AM

I can appreciate this sort of thing as a celebration of Sondheim and musical theatre, and keeping the arts alive (which is imperative). But "Follies In Concert" is eyeroll inducing. How many times has this been staged? It DOES sound like they had a good cast, though. So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 72June 22, 2024 9:36 AM

r72 = Someone who couldn't get a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 73June 22, 2024 12:07 PM

The Gilded Age is well into pre-production now so, though they haven't begun filming, I imagine Donna Murphy was consumed with costume and wig fittings.

by Anonymousreply 74June 22, 2024 1:19 PM

Sorry for the tangent but the most recent Theatre Gossip thread closed.....like The Heart of Rock and Roll, suddenly and without notice, and no one really cared.

But anyway, if you were searching for the new one, here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 22, 2024 1:42 PM

Whoops, no. THIS is the new one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 22, 2024 1:43 PM

Um, r13, Cameron Mackintosh had nothing to do with this.

by Anonymousreply 77June 23, 2024 4:27 AM

Um, r77, The title page says “presented by special arrangement with Cameron McIntosh”

Um, don’t be such a smartass first thing in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 78June 23, 2024 12:52 PM

Old Queen Mackintosh owns the licensing for the Sondheim catalog.

by Anonymousreply 79June 23, 2024 1:10 PM

R77 is correct that Cameron Mackintosh had no involvement in the Carnegie FOLLIES whatsoever. His name was in the program only for the reason that R79 stated.

R13 was completely off base in posting that Mackintosh "produced" this concert, and I highly doubt that it was "filmed for streaming or DVD." If any or all of the concert was video captured, I'm guessing it was for archival purposes.

by Anonymousreply 80June 23, 2024 1:16 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 24, 2024 2:19 AM

[quote]Old Queen Mackintosh owns the licensing for the Sondheim catalog.

Wait. Cameron owns the licensing for Sondheim's FULL catalog? Not Sondheim's estate?

by Anonymousreply 82June 24, 2024 2:31 AM

r78

It’s a licensing credit. Mackintosh didn’t produce the concert.

by Anonymousreply 83June 24, 2024 5:09 AM

Is debuting a play in early summer the equivalent of burying a news story on a Friday afternoon?

by Anonymousreply 84June 24, 2024 5:16 AM

r84 What play are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 85June 24, 2024 2:14 PM

Why do you think he whipped up a tribute show as soon as the body was cold, r82?

by Anonymousreply 86June 24, 2024 3:41 PM

R85 - sorry. Wrong thread. (though.. I was referring to N/A)

by Anonymousreply 87June 25, 2024 4:44 AM

Sorry if I'm being dense, so is the story that EVERY Sondheim work has a Cameron M credit? How have I never noticed that?

by Anonymousreply 88June 25, 2024 4:45 AM

I'm not 100 percent sure of the answer to your question, R88, but I do believe the requirement for the Mackintosh credit is fairly recent, so that may be why you've never noticed it.

by Anonymousreply 89June 25, 2024 3:22 PM

I feel like sometimes you guys just make shit up

by Anonymousreply 90June 26, 2024 1:06 AM

R90, why post something like that if you're not going to give us any idea what you're referring to?

by Anonymousreply 91June 26, 2024 4:27 AM

What were we talking about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 26, 2024 4:35 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 26, 2024 4:28 PM

Too slow. But is this going to be available on PBS or on DVD?

by Anonymousreply 94June 26, 2024 4:40 PM

Agreed… I’m sure JH wanted it slow to be honest n stage longer

I think they did film it

by Anonymousreply 95June 26, 2024 4:46 PM

I can almost guarantee that there will be no commercial video of this FOLLIES made available. But no doubt some audio or video bootlegs.

by Anonymousreply 96June 26, 2024 4:48 PM

[quote]Alexandra is fabulous!

Hi, Alex.

Alex was in a Sondheim tribute at Ravinia last year and I was honestly embarrassed for her. She was OTT and acted like it was a tribute to her, completely out of character with the rest of the show and cast who put Sondheim first. I've known her for years (since she was Shanté) and am happy for her success, but her recent stridency and way-way-out-in-the-open-overt-ambition is turning me off.

by Anonymousreply 97June 26, 2024 5:19 PM

R97, I don't doubt you, but I can honestly say her performance in the Carnegie FOLLIES was not remotely over the top and was really quite good.

by Anonymousreply 98June 26, 2024 5:38 PM

Well.. it WAS a touch over the top, but it was VERY entertaining. Especially since it was just her and the orchestra. No other dancers.

by Anonymousreply 99June 26, 2024 6:12 PM

So a trans person can play an cis person but the other way around will not be tolerated.

by Anonymousreply 100June 26, 2024 6:15 PM

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Can't you anti-trans loons give it a rest for ONE day?????!!!???

by Anonymousreply 101June 26, 2024 6:17 PM

For real. It's enough.

Also, Cameron Mackintosh Productions is the clearing house for performance rights for the Sondheim estate. Expect to see it in more programs for sometimes shows, just like you would for the Rogers and Hammerstein organization or Music Theater International (MTI).

by Anonymousreply 102June 26, 2024 6:24 PM

Sondheim's shows*

by Anonymousreply 103June 26, 2024 6:31 PM

Alexandra was fine, tho i felt a little embarrassed for the violin player she was shoving her big tits at.

The queen of the show was Miss Ebersole who sand "In Buddy's Eyes" so perfectly, I couldn't believe it. She's 100000 years old and can still knock it out of the park.

by Anonymousreply 104June 26, 2024 7:13 PM

Big tits? Must be new.

by Anonymousreply 105June 26, 2024 7:58 PM

Lord, these raves for the Follies concert are ridiculous. I think Ebersole does a good job (miles beyond Holliday) but it's hardly defining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 26, 2024 8:02 PM

Agree that Holiday is mildly entertaining, but the tempo ruined it.

by Anonymousreply 107June 26, 2024 8:11 PM

I'm relieved that so many people agree with me that the glacially slow tempo at which Jennifer Holliday performed "I'm Still Here" almost ruined the song, regardless of whatever else she brought to it. The screaming and ovations she received after the number made it seem like no one in the audience but me realized the tempo was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 108June 26, 2024 8:20 PM

Count me as another one who thought that Christine Ebersole did just an okay job with In Buddy’s Eyes. To my ears, she sounds off pitch on a few notes. For me, the best performance came from Kate Baldwin doing Losing My Mind.

by Anonymousreply 109June 26, 2024 9:13 PM

[quote]Count me as another one who thought that Christine Ebersole did just an okay job with In Buddy’s Eyes. To my ears, she sounds off pitch on a few notes.

Your ears need tuning. It was an exceptionally wonderful performance.

by Anonymousreply 110June 26, 2024 9:17 PM

I like Billings in general but R97 you're not wrong. She's gotten some well deserved plaudits for her work but I don't know if it was having to play to the upper echelons in WICKED or what, but she's been very OTT on stage in recent years. And quite frankly, she doesn't have the voice for it.

The brassiness works sometimes but not in every situation. A good musical director could harness that into something more palatable.

by Anonymousreply 111June 26, 2024 9:18 PM

I think Billings' style of delivery for "The Story of Lucy and Jessie" was entirely appropriate for a a performance out of context in a concert in a large hall.

by Anonymousreply 112June 26, 2024 10:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!