Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

In the Bedroom (2001)

In the Bedroom is an emotionally devastating portrait of grief, a masterclass in subtlety, and a chilling revenge thriller. It’s impressive when you think about how much it accomplishes in one film simultaneously. It’s one of those Oscar nominated films from the 2000s I felt was actually deserving of its acclaim when I first watched it and I’m pleased to still feel that way many years later. As much as Denzel was overdue for a Best Actor win when he won for Training Day, I wish Tom Wilkinson (RIP, I didn’t realize he had passed away until a few months ago) won the Oscar for his performance in this. Todd Field was definitely robbed of a Best Director nomination as well. I still consider In the Bedroom his best work.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2024 1:30 PM

This movie was a bit underrated.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2024 2:57 PM

I’ve wanted to watch this movie for a long time

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2024 3:11 PM

Every gesture, pause and line reading rang so true.

Fast forward to "Tar" and Field is ripping off Kubrick, Haneke and even a little of "The Hand That Rocked the Cradle" while Blanchett is basically playing Mame (as she usually does).

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2024 3:39 PM

I rewatched this last summer for the first time since it premiered.

I loved it in 2001, when I was 31. I loved it and predicated so much more last years. The additional 22 years of life made me see/understand it in a completely new way.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2024 3:50 PM

It's on Paramount Plus. I'll probably watch tonight because I have been on watching a lot of late 90s/early 00s movies.

I remember feeling bad for Marisa Tomei's character when Sissy's character slaps her.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2024 4:58 PM

R4 here — I meant appreciated, not predicated. Duh! Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2024 5:04 PM

This is one of those movies that I can barely stomach to watch if I'm being honest. The ending just makes me feel hopeless and sick, which is a testament to the writing and performances. It's an excellent film, but unpleasant. One of the quirks I remember most was Sissy Spacek's character relapsing on cigarettes and chain-smoking Marlboro Lights through the latter half of the film.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2024 7:03 PM

[quote]This is one of those movies that I can barely stomach to watch if I'm being honest.

This is really true - particularly the scene when they just tear into each other, blaming each other over everything. Just the anger, grief at themselves and each other is really hard to watch. I felt that way too about Anatomy of a Fall, though the ridiculousness of the french prosecutors some how made that movie lighter. But yes, is is a tough watch - particularly the final scene with the Spacek character satisfied that she got her way, while the Wilkinson character has this "OMG, what have I done" blank expression.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2024 7:17 PM

Gosh, Sissy is so underrated as an actor it's criminal. Mary, I know! But I don't ever think I've seen her give a poor performance and though she was among the elite actresses of her generation (early Boomers), she hasn't been remembered or revered in the way some of her less talented peers have.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2024 7:36 PM

R5 thanks for the information. This will be my movie of the evening.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2024 7:38 PM

The swing set! The swing set!

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2024 8:27 PM

R9, I speculate that the realism and subtlety with which Spacek inhabits her characters (and which make her such a darling of cinephiles and elite film critics) cause her to be under appreciated by mainstream audiences and the film industry itself, which tends to equate great acting with show-stopping theatrics. She’s so natural, it’s easy to forget she’s acting.

She makes the intriguing and unusual choice to underplay key dramatic moments in this film, making her scenes of intense emotion all the more powerful and impactful. Her nuanced performance conveys a deep, simmering grief and rage that feels both authentic and devastating.

I also appreciated that Field’s screenplay, direction, and Spacek’s performance show a softer side to the character, such as her diplomatic, graceful reaction to Celia Weston’s character’s careless reference to dying families.

This is one of the rare films that has stayed with me for years after seeing it, and I sometimes wonder what became of the characters of the events of the film.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2024 1:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!