Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gene Tierney's a dreamy klepto in 1950's "Whirlpool"

1950's "Whirlpool" stars Gene Tierney as an upper middle class wife who can't sleep (maybe cuz she's married to hunky Richard Conte?), & is a shoplifter who gets her free will swiped by shady hypnotist Jose Ferrer. Otto Preminger directs this domestic film noir & Tierney is ideally cast as the emotionally troubled dream girl. Conte's a shrink, but might have been better as the charlatan, very overplayed by Jose Ferrer. Increasingly absurd plotting doesn't help. My takeaway from watching "Whirlpool":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2024 8:21 PM

Is that the grandmother of American tennis player Taylor Fritz?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2024 12:30 AM

Here is a HD free copy of "Whirlpool" to watch on YouTube. Enjoy the wackadoodle fun that is Whirlpool!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2024 12:36 AM

Despite the cast and the director this is not a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2024 12:42 AM

R1 Why?

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2024 12:44 AM

Here's a HD trailer that sums up the plot of "Whirlpool" well...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2024 12:49 AM

I watched this yesterday, I liked it well-enough. Thank you for your suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2024 12:54 AM

I rewatched this a few months ago and have to agree about Ferrer. Tierney was captivating as usual but it's far from Preminger's best work.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2024 1:00 AM

I was unfamiliar with José Ferrer, but one quick glance at that trailer and I realized he had to be Miguel Ferrer's dad

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2024 1:09 AM

And George Clooney’s uncle!

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2024 1:16 AM

I too was disappointed with this movie and I love Tierney…she seems distant and distracted.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2024 1:25 AM

Tierney has been in some of the greatest all time classics. She's also been in some of the all time stinkers. This is one. Along with one of the worst movies I've ever seen: Tobacco Road. She can be forgiven though for her great beauty, her classics, and her work for mental health advocacy LONG before it was safe and fashionable. If she only did Leave Her to Heaven she would still be iconic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2024 1:32 AM

R1 pathetic ripoff of my insightful post on the Gays and Tennis thread.

Write your own material, please. I may be forced to seek a legal remedy under federal law.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2024 1:55 AM

R4. Because of my witty and insightful observation in the Gays and Tennis thread. That’s why.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2024 1:56 AM

R8 your post is so whack. On both counts: how the fuck didn’t you know these things…

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2024 2:00 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2024 2:03 AM

R12/R13/R15, I assumed you were the OP of this thread given that it appeared about an hour after your Gays and Tennis post hence my tongue in cheek post at R1 of this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2024 2:18 AM

I was not the Op— thank you, though.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2024 2:27 AM

R10 wouldn’t you be, trapped in a Puerto Rican Whirlpool and all?!

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2024 2:35 AM

Loved her in Leave Her to Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2024 2:42 AM

Gene Tierney was great looking and had the star quality, etc. but most of her acting was mediocre. Her part in The Razor's Edge is one of her worst performances. She was perfect in Laura. I thought she was pretty good in Leave Her To Heaven but I don't love that one the way some do.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2024 5:37 PM

The thing with Gene though is her great roles were like they were written for her. Could you imagine anyone else in Leave Her to Heaven? Laura? The Ghost and Mrs. Muir? Heaven Can Wait? The Mating Season? She really didn't act, and I know it can be a subtle difference, she became her part and/or the part became her. The contract they gave her when she first started, well I've never seen an actress get a nice deal like she got. As you can see I absolutely love her. My three favorite actresses: Gene Tierney, Jean Arthur, and Barbara Stanwyck.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2024 7:57 PM

Hope Lange did it better

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2024 8:10 PM

HI, HOPE!

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2024 8:13 PM

Joseph L. Mankiewicz originally wanted to have Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2024 8:17 PM

That’s dumb

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2024 8:18 PM

Still gorgeous even with that prison matron hairdo. Some fifties hairstyles were so severe.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2024 8:21 PM

Good thing he didn't get his wish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2024 8:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!